Tips for Successful First Date
These tips helps you boost confidence and make you left a unforgettable first impression.
The location you choose sets the tone for your date. Unless you already know what types of activities your date likes, it’s best pick a neutral, low-pressure place where you can focus on getting to know each other and figuring out how well you connect.
Instead of dinner and a movie, suggest trying a local bar or a hip new coffee shop instead.
Understanding the way you present yourself is important both before and during a date. In fact, if you’re venturing into online dating, then the “before” stage is extremely important. Whether it’s the words you use to describe yourself online, the pictures you post, or the way you dress, it’s important to understand the entire picture of what you’re putting out there.
Taking a deeper look at how you present yourself bleeds into your date in the way you communicate both verbally and nonverbally. In fact, your body language is perhaps the loudest thing you communicate.
Telling someone you’re interested isn’t enough — you have to make sure your body is saying it too for them to internalize the message. If you know you want to send a positive vibe, let your body do the talking for you.
Let Her Speak
Sure, you have to tell her about yourself, but dominating the conversation by rambling about your life will make you look narcissistic. Or worse: By not showing any interest in her, it can seem like you’re just waiting for the date to be over so you can get her into bed, Dr. Lieberman says. What will impress her even more than learning about your accomplishments is seeing that you’re genuinely interested in hearing about her.
Be Interested to Be Interesting
Everyone enjoys talking about themselves. By asking your date questions about them you’re showing that you’re interested in them. That in turn makes you more interesting. It’s not just important to be interested in your date, you also should show interest in the topics that come up. Curiosity is exciting! Someone who’s curious shows their innate intelligence and zest for life.
Sometimes our perfect “match” has nothing to do with what we can list on a piece of paper. Often it has more to do with the values we live by than the things we do for a living. And if you can find someone who lines up on your core and is curious, then you’ve really got something.
No, it’s not just about how you look. It’s also not about your outfit or your success or anything else that makes up the superficial aspects of your life. Desire comes from you.If you want to be desired, you must feel desire. If you want to feel desire, you have to feel secure in yourself. We are open to desire when we feel confident, radiant and free. These qualities enable us to feel more secure in ourselves and thus open the door for desire to come in.
Women today don’t need over-the-top chivalry, but that doesn’t mean you should slack on your manners. Letting the door slam in her face, talking down to waiters, and spending the entire date glued to your phone are all behaviors that she won’t find attractive.
Treating The Date Like An Interview
Generic questions make for a generic date. Sure, it’s nice to get to know where someone’s from, what they do for work, etc. But does that really tell you about the kind of person they are?
Opt for questions that are a bit deeper. If you’re stuck on what that could be, try these:
First Date Questions
- What’s your favorite piece of clothing that you own?
- What was the last book you really got into?
- What are some movies you really enjoyed?
- What amazing adventures have you been on?
- What pets have you had?
- What’s your favorite alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink?
- What are you kind of obsessed with these days?
- Where have you traveled?
- What’s your favorite international food?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- How many siblings do you have?
- What would be your dream job?
- What would you do if had enough money to not need a job?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What was the last show you binge-watched?
- What TV series do you keep coming back to and re-watching?
- What hobbies would you like to get into if you had the time and money?
- If there was an Olympics for everyday activities, what activity would you have a good chance at winning a medal in?
- What would your perfect vacation look like?
- Among your friends, what are you best known for?
- What music artist do you never get tired of?
- What are some accomplishments that you are really proud of?
- What are some obscure things that you are or were really into?
- What are some things everyone should try at least once?
- What fad did you never really understand?
- What’s the best thing that has happened to you this month?
- What would your perfect morning be like?
- Is there any art or artist you are really into?
- What are you always game for?
- What do you do to unwind?
- What’s your favorite app on your phone?
- Cutest animal? Ugliest animal?
- Who is the kindest person you know?
- What’s your favorite piece of furniture you’ve ever owned?
- Who are your kind of people?
- Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever been?
- What’s the silliest fear you have?
- What would be the best city to live in?
- What household chore is just the worst?
- If you could give yourself a nickname, what nickname would you want people to call you?
- What odd talent do you have?
- If you could give everyone just one piece of advice, what would it be?
- What would you like to know more about, but haven’t had the time to look into it?
- What country do you never want to visit?
- What wrong assumptions do people make about you?
- Do you prefer to work in a team or alone?
- What has been the best period of your life so far?
- How have you changed from when you were in high school?
- How techie are you?
- Where is the most fun place around where you live?
- Have you ever joined any meetup groups?
- Where would your friends or family be most surprised to find you?
- What’s the most relaxing situation you could imagine?
- What’s your favorite smell?
- What skill or ability have you always wanted to learn?
- What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
- Where was your favorite place to go when you were a kid?
- What’s the most amount of people you had to present something in front of?
- If you could go back in time as an observer, no one could see you, and you couldn’t interact with anything, when would you want to go back to?
- What’s something that most people haven’t done, but you have?
- What says the most about a person?
- What machine or appliance in your house aggravates you the most?
- What places have you visited that exceeded your expectations?
- If you opened a business, what type of business would you start?
- What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
- What’s the best road trip you’ve been on?
- If you found a briefcase filled with 1 million in 100$ bills in front of your door, what would you do with it?
- What’s the worst advice someone has given you?
- Besides your home and your work, where do you spend most of your time?
- If you could have the answer to any one question, what question would you want the answer to?
- What are your top 3 favorite things to talk about?
- What do you care least about?
- Where would you like to retire?
- Who is the most bizarre person you’ve met?
- What are people often surprised to learn about you?
- Would you rather live full time in an RV or full time on a sailboat?
- What would you do with the extra time if you never had to sleep?
- When you were a kid, what seemed like the best thing about being a grown up?
- What’s the strangest way you’ve become friends with someone?
- What’s your go-to series or movie when you want to watch something but can’t find anything to watch?
- What were some of the turning points in your life?
- What companies made you so mad that you would rather suffer bodily harm than give them any more of your money?
- What small things brighten up your day when they happen?
- Where are you from originally?
- Where did you go to school?
- What was your major?
- Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
- What’s your favorite place in the entire
- What really makes you laugh?
- Are there any foods you absolutely hate?
- What’s your favorite movie of all time?
- What’s your favorite book of all time?
- What’s your biggest goal right now?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a weekend?
- What was your family like growing up?
- What were you like as a kid?
- What should I know about you that I would never think to ask about?
- What do you love to do when you’re not working?What’s your favorite TV show right now?
- What type of music do you like?Have you traveled anywhere really cool lately?
- Are you more of a cat or a dog person?What is your absolute favorite food?
- Who’s your biggest role model?What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Do you prefer coffee or tea?
- Do you have any siblings?
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you’d do with the money?
- Is there anywhere else you would love to live, other than here?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- Are you a morning or a night person?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- What’s your favorite thing about your job?
- What’s your least favorite thing about your job?
- Do you have a busy week coming up?
- What combination of toppings makes your perfect pizza?
- Do you drink?
- Depending on the above, what is your signature drink?
- What is the most thoughtful gift you’ve ever received?
- Does your family still live in your hometown?
- If you could be any person for a day, who would it be?
- What do you feel most passionate about?
- What’s something you’ve been really proud of lately?
- What’s something you’ve always wanted to try?
- What do you like about dating?
- What is your least favorite thing about dating?
- What’s something you’re bad at?
- Who in your family are you closest to?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What’s one of your favorite childhood memories?
- What is your favorite thing to cook?
- Have you ever changed career paths?
- Do you have, or have you ever had, a mentor?
- How’d you get started in your career?
- Did you go to college? What was your major? Where did you go?
- If you could have any job aside from the one you have now, what would it be?
- Do you ever see yourself going back to school?
- Did you always want to do what you do now?
- What do you like about what you
- What’s your schedule usually like?
- Do you like your boss and coworkers?
- What’s the last thing you Googled?
- What’s your spirit animal?
- What’s your perfect New Year’s Eve?
- What’s your favorite joke?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What’s in your freezer right now?
- Ever get a tattoo?
- Do you cook a lot? Do you enjoy it?
- What are your favorite restaurants in the area?
- What’s your favorite drink? Are you a beer or wine person?
- Are you a coffee junkie?
- Are you a big social media person?
- What’s a book that you’d love to see be made into a movie?
- Do you listen to any podcasts?
- What actor would play you in the movie about your life?
- What TV show do you think was cancelled too early?
- What’s the last book your read?
- What’s the last show you got addicted to?
- What’s the last movie you saw?
- Any good movies you want to see that are out right now?
- What are you listening to right now?
- Who are your favorite artists or bands?
- What made you ask me out/accept my invitation?
- How long have you been single?
- What was the longest relationship you ever had?
- Do you date a lot?
- Are you a dating pro or a novice?
- Do you have any dating horror stories?
- Have you ever tried online dating?
- Are most of your friends single, dating, or married?
- When was the last time you went on a date?
- Have you attended a protest march?
- Would you live with a partner before marriage?
- Do you watch Game of Thrones?
- How do you feel about having joint bank accounts in a long-term relationship?
- Are you open to being in a long-distance relationship?
- Would you prefer a group first date or one-on-one?
- Do you meditate?
- How often do you speak to your parents?
- Are you currently saving to buy your own home?
- Do you speak more than one language?
- Would you date someone who was in considerable debt?
- How important is religion/God in your life?
- Which word describes you better: carefree or intense?
- Could you date someone who was really messy?
- Do you enjoy discussing politics?
- Which would you rather be: normal or weird?
- Are you currently employed?
- Is astrological sign at all important in a match?
- Could you date someone who does drugs?
- Do you smoke?
- Choose the better romantic activity: kissing in Paris or kissing in a tent in the woods.
- Is jealousy healthy in a relationship?
- Which best describes your political beliefs: liberal/left, centrist, conservative/right, or other?
- Are you ready to settle down and get married right now?
- About how long do you want your next relationship to last?
- Do you like scary movies?
- Do you often find yourself worrying about the things you have no control over?