Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma – Allergies and asthma can be hard to deal with, especially when it seems like most triggers are in your own home. Many factors within a household can trigger allergies and asthma attacks. These include certain cleaning chemicals, pet dander, and even dust.
It can seem as if no matter how much or often you clean, the triggers are still there. Luckily, having an air purifier can help to reduce or even eliminate common allergens such as pollen and dust. But to get the best bang for your buck, you need the best air purifier for allergies and asthma.
1.RENPHO Air Purifier
For medium to large rooms, we highly recommend this air purifier from Renpho. It’s fitted with a four-stage filtration system and a True HEPA filter.
Its filters capture allergens and asthma triggers and you won’t have to deal with them anymore. You can also use this unit during the night for a peaceful sleep. It’s very quiet and even features a sleep mode.
To save energy, you can set the timer to shut the unit off automatically when needed. If you have young exploring children, set the unit to child lock mode to protect your clean air from curious fingers.
Pros & Cons
- 【HEPA High-Efficient Air Purifier】3 Stage filtration system (Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter and Activated Carbon Filter) effectively eliminates small airborne particles such as pet hair, dander, smoke, pollen, dust and so on. 4 different fan speeds can be selected according to your preference.
- 【Small, Lightweight But Powerful】RENPHO air purifier exclusively designed for small spaces - High-Efficiently purify the air in bedrooms, kitchens, offices, dorm rooms and living rooms etc with True HEPA Technology. The lightweight design makes it easy for you to put it anywhere, and it's enough for this portable air cleaner to purify any spaces up to 206 Ft² in 24 minutes.
- 【Deep-Sleep Quiet Mode】In the quiet mode, the noise of Renpho air cleaner is controlled under 22dB. The air cleaner is ozone-free and its display light can be turned off, perfect for the restful and soothing indoor environment. Let's embrace a good deep sleep from now on!
- 【Smart Filter Replacement Indicator】Replacement Indicator flashes to remind you to replace the filter. It is recommended to replace your filter every 3-6 months depending on the use and air quality.
- 【Genuine Replacement Filter】Search for B07RLR27MX / B07RPLFF49 / B0836P8Z98 for Replacement filter. Use genuine RENPHO replacement filters to maintain the best performance and to ensure what you're buying is worthy of your investment.
2.LEVOIT Air Purifier
If you’re looking to purify your air while saving energy, this is for you. This air purifier by Levoit is certified by Energy Star and uses only 33 watts.
Choose between three fan speeds to suit your air quality. This air purifier uses a tower structure with 360-degree filtration instead of flat filters.
It’s sleek and can easily be placed on the floor next to a sofa or table without looking out of place. You also get multiple smart features such as sleep mode and a filter replacement indicator.
Pros & Cons
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 cleans spaces up to 547 ft² in 30 minutes, 219 ft² in 12 minutes (CADR: 141 CFM / 240 m³/h). Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER: Choose Sleep Mode at night and then forget all about your air purifier while you sleep. QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24dB, ensuring the Core 300 won’t get in the way of a good night’s rest
- SLEEK DESIGN: The Core 300 practically serves your home while blending in with your decor. Its award-winning design (Red Dot, 2020) and modern white finish help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
- UNDISTURBED OPERATION: The display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect night of sleep without the effect of light. A timer for 2/4/6/8 hours and filter lifetime indicator for your convenience
- FULL CERTIFIED FOR SAFER: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed
If you’re on a budget but need something to keep allergens and triggers at bay, this is for you. The Koios Air Purifier is a small and compact unit, perfect for small spaces such as a bedroom or office.
Despite the small size, it’s fitted with a True HEPA filter and a three-stage filtration system. It effectively removes large and tiny particles, as well as odors, from the air.
The compact purifier draws air in from all sides and angles for optimal results. It’s simple to operate and looks stylish in any room. There’s no UV-C light so you won’t have to worry about the risk of ozone production
Pros & Cons
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
For a very reasonable price, you get the kind of high-end features usually reserved for top-tier flagships. Its three-tier filtration system (which includes an H-13 TRue HEPA layer) will make light work of removing odors, VOCs, smoke, pollen, pet dander, dust, smog, and more down to 0.1 microns in size from your home.
Living in an apartment on a busy road, I was concerned with the amount of pollution that comes with life in the big city. As well as wanting to eliminate these potentially harmful toxins from cars, I wanted a unit that would clear the air fast from all the aromas leftover from my love of cooking which often lay stagnant in the air without opening my windows letting in further VOCs.
Pros & Cons
- MAXIMUM COVERAGE: Cleans up to 1,600 sq ft in one hr, 840 sq ft in 30 min, 430 sq ft in 15 min. [*Based on average CADR for pollen, smoke, and dust when operating at fan setting 3. Assumes closed room with 8 ft ceiling.] Perfect for large rooms.
- HEPA H13 FILTRATION: Trusted to remove 99.9% of harmful particles including allergens, odors, VOCs, smoke, pollen, pet dander, dust, smog, contaminants, and more down to 0.1 microns in size. Captures finer particles than HEPA H11 (0.3 microns).
- ULTRA QUIET: Choose from 3 fan speeds, with the lowest setting operating virtually silent. Runs at 110 Volts at a min noise level of 46dB and max of 66dB. For the most discreet operation, enable sleep mode to completely dim the unit's panel lights.
- EASY TO USE FEATURES: Includes a sleek touch screen operation panel with 0-8 hour timer, fan speed, sleep mode, filter replacement indicator, and child lock, great for both kids and pets.
- QUALITY TESTED & BACKED: CARB, ETL, and Energy Star certified. Backed by a USA registered Lifetime Warranty when genuine Medify replacement filters are used. The replacement filter (B07LGDYV3C) lasts 3,000 hours or about 6 months.
5.Germ Guardian True HEPA
This air purifier does solid work without a lot of bells and whistles, at least on the outside. It’s easy to use and replace the filters, but the extra charcoal filter (and optional UV-C light) make it equally good at trapping odors and allergens. And with a low power consumption, it’s ideal for heavy use in medium-sized rooms.
In our analysis of 65 expert reviews, the GermGuardian Full Room Air Purifier placed 12th when we looked at the top 17 products in the category.
Pros & Cons
- 3-IN-1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME - True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS - Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS - Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION - The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
For larger rooms of up to 465 square feet, we recommend this air purifier from Honeywell. Although it’s a large unit, it’s highly effective and made to remove allergens.
You get three levels of air purification to choose between depending on the room. The filter includes a True HEPA filter that removes up to 99.97 percent of airborne particles.
Maintaining the Honeywell purifier is fuss-free and the filters are long-lasting. A light indicator will let you know when it’s time for a replacement, so you don’t have to guess.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA200 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for large rooms (310 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE AIRBORNES - This HEPA air purifier has 3 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA200 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in large 310 sq. ft. rooms every 12.5 minutes.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
- IDEAL FOR WILDFIRE SEASON: Wildfire smoke can impact the air quality where you live, even if you don’t live anywhere near the fires themselves. Because smoke contains extremely small particles, air purifiers can help remove some of these particles¹ from your air.
7.Molekule Air Pro
Our final recommendation for a good air purifier for asthma and allergies is this unit by Molekule.
What makes it stand out from the other air cleaners reviewed on this page is that it uses an advanced air filtration technology that actually destroys—not traps—airborne pollutants at a molecular level.
Essentially, it eliminates all traces of airborne contaminants that can trigger your allergy and asthma symptoms.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Pro is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses, bacteria and mold.
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces up to 1000 sq ft or high-traffic areas, with 3x the airflow of Molekule’s award-winning consumer devices.
- PECO-powered: Breakthrough PECO technology doesn’t just collect pollutants, it destroys VOCs, bacteria, viruses, mold, pollen, pet dander, and more.
- Particle & chemical sensors: detects VOCs and a range of air particles in three sizes, to better understand what’s in your air, from PM10 (pollen) and PM2.5 (dust), to smaller than PM1 (smoke).
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet automatically regulate fan speed based on particle levels, at noise levels ideal for day or night, as well as a 6-speed manual mode.
- Smart & connected: Easy-to-control touch-screen interface. For added convenience, connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Portable: With its vegan leather handle, Molekule Air Pro can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- Expanded air history stats track indoor air quality from one day to the next. Toggle between Day and Week View to see the quality of the air you breathe, with the ability to swipe back through the previous four weeks to identify pollutant trends.
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Explore Air Score for an overall real-time snapshot of your air, or dive deeper into each air quality factor. Plus, see changes in 5-minute increments for real-time changes.
Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma – In this guide, we’ll show you what the best air purifier for asthma and allergies is and why it works so well to improve your indoor air quality.
By the time you’re done reading this page, you’ll have everything you need to find the best HEPA air purifier for asthma control.