Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets – Pets can be your best friends, until all the shedding and dander start to trigger common allergies. Not only do you have to worry about all the various odors that go along with pet care (litter boxes, carpet accidents, trailing dirt through the house), air quality is an issue you may not have considered. Don’t suffer for your pet baby — getting an air purifier is an easy solution that will help both you and your pets in the long run.
If hypoallergenic animals are out of the question, and you don’t want to spend hours tracking every bit of stray hair and grime they bring in from the outdoors, you’re gonna want an appliance that helps filter the air. The best air purifiers for pets can help filter out everything from visible fur, to microscopic dander you don’t even realize is making you sneeze. Fun fact: pets can have their own allergies too, so keeping the air around your home free from mold and dust will help everyone breathe a little easier.
1.LEVOIT Air Purifier
What more can we say? Levoit’s Core P350 Pet Care air purifier has “pet” in the name, and you really can’t go wrong with the superior filtration performance of this choice.
Using a special H13-Grade True HEPA Filter, it reduces up to 99.97 percent of the harmful air pollutants pet owners are most concerned about, like pet dander, pollen, dust mites, and other allergens in rooms up to 219 square feet. While you won’t sweat the small stuff with this purifier, Levoit also claims their fabric pre-filter is more effective than others at capturing larger things, like floating hair and pet fur.
Pros & Cons
- Neutralize Stinky Smells: Cute as they are, pets can smell sometimes. Now introducing Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter - the effective odor eliminator for pet odors, litter box smells, and cooking smoke.
- Perfect for Pet Parents: Experiencing coughing, congestion, or breathing difficulties caused by pets. Levoit Core P350 provides H13 True HEPA Filtration to reduce sneezing, itchiness, and stuffy nose by purifying the air you breathe.
- Cleaner House: Did you know an air purifier can help you spend less time cleaning. It's possible with P350. The fine Non-Woven Fabric Pre-Filter traps large floating particles such as pet fur, hair, dust, and lint, helping to reduce the amount of debris on your floor and furniture.
- Sleep Safe & Sound: Don't ever worry about your furry friend being disturbed by the air purifier - Sleep Mode turns display indicators to half-brightness and keeps noise levels as low as 24dB, so you can sleep while cuddling with your cute little one.
- Safety First: Unlike other air purifiers, the Core P350 doesn't use ions to purify the air, keeping your pets safe from harmful exposure to certain particles.
- Pet Lock: Let your children and pets play freely while the Pet Lock prevents them from changing the settings—it’s worry-free family time.
- Powerful, In Many Ways: Large house with a lot of pets. No problem—the Core P350 can purify a 219 ft² room in just 12 minutes.
- We’ve Got Your Back: Levoit is full of people who love their pets, just like you do. Based in California and always innovating, we create products that care for our customers and their homes.
- How to Find Replacement Filters: Search for B087R7ZFPB or Core P350-RF to find the official Levoit True HEPA 3-Stage Pet Allergy Filter. Levoit replacement filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier.
2.Alen BreatheSmart Classic
Designed by NASA airflow engineers (yes, it’s that good) the Alen Breathesmart Classic not only dominates when it comes to pet dander, but also filters out pet fur surprisingly well.
While other air purifiers only remove particles larger than 0.3 microns, this model has a medical-grade H13 True HEPA layer that filters out 99.99 percent of airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. You know you’re getting the cleanest air possible, since dander, bacteria, and germs won’t stand a chance.
Pros & Cons
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, dander, allergens, pet fur PLUS heavy odors from pets, litter boxes, cooking, stinky diapers, and garbage. Perfect for large rooms, offices, schools, and open spaces.
- ODORCELL FILTER: Helps relieve allergy and asthma symptoms PLUS includes a patented molecular conversion powder to eliminate strong household odors.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
- AIR QUALITY SENSOR LIGHT: Blue = Excellent, Orange = Fair, Red = Bad air quality (high levels of particles). On "auto mode" the sensor will adjust the speed of the fan to clean the air more efficiently.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
3.Blueair Blue Pure 211+
While you may still need to keep a couple lint rollers on hand for pet hair stuck to your clothing and carpet, this air purifier from Blueair works twice as hard to filter out pet hair floating in the large — all with less energy usage than you’d think.
The grey fabric in the bottom half isn’t just for show. It’s actually your first line of defense against pet hair, a fabric pre-filter that’s designed to catch all the pet fur, dust, and larger particles in the air around your home. You can toss it in the washing machine and let it air dry to clean, so it’s quite the sustainable solution (still, you can always purchase some if you want a fun color to match your decor).
Pros & Cons
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or up to 2592sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes over 99% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, bacteria and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 211+ has won Good Housekeeping – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Overall Air Purifier; Wirecutter Pick - The Best Air Purifier - 2019 - 2022
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Hamilton Beach TrueAir
Sometimes you need a compact air filter for pets that constantly jump into bed with you, or nap in your home office. For smaller spaces, you can’t go wrong with the compact, budget-friendly Hamilton Beach TrueAir Pet Air Purifier.
The TrueAir actually comes with a permanent, reusable filter that can save you money on all those costly filter refills (you clean it by vacuuming the dust and dirt out). Even still, it’s no slouch when it comes to filtration, with a HEPA-grade filter that captures 99.97 percent of dust mites, pollen, and most importantly for you, pet dander.
Pros & Cons
- High Performance Hepa Grade Filter: Captures 99% of pet dander, , pollen, and as small as 3 microns from the air.
- Easy to clean: air purifier has a permanent Hepa-grade filter that easily vacuums clean.
- Compact, stylish design: Allergen reducing air purifier is perfect in the office or in rooms up to 160 square feet
- Versatile air care that fits anywhere: Position the unit vertically or horizontally to best fit in your bedroom, den, nursery, hallway or living room at home or at the office.
- Quiet and powerful: Use whisper clean for extra quiet operation at night, the medium setting or the quick clean setting for more powerful air cleaning.
- 3 versatile speed settings: Air purifier has three versatile speed settings that give you ultimate control. Use quiet setting at night or quick setting for powerful air cleaning.
- Use how you want, where you want: this air cleaner works standing up or on its side.
5.Lasko Pure Platinum HEPA
With its air quality sensor, auto-clean function, and three-stage filtration, you can rest assured that the air you’re breathing in your home is clean. This small HEPA air purifier removes pet dander, dust, and other common allergens from the air around you.
It also has a carbon filter to remove odors from the air and a UV-A light to tackle mold, bacteria, and viruses. Its slim silhouette looks attractive and it works for rooms up to 160 square feet.
Pros & Cons
- Features 3-Speeds, Remote Control, Fresh Air Ionizer, 7-hour Timer, Sleep Mode, Child Lock Mode, Easy-Carry Handle and Quick Access Filter Panel
- Includes a 1-Year Filter Supply and the Filter Replacement Reminder Light lets you know when the filters need to be replaced
- The Air Quality Sensor will automatically turn the unit on when it senses poor air quality
- Space-Saving, Slim Profile Design (16.6" L x 7.25"W x 25.2"H)
Stores can barely keep the recently launched Honeywell HEPA InSight Series in stock; its powerful HEPA filtration is that good. Why? It circulates and cleans the air five times every hour in rooms up to 500 square feet, removing up to 99.7 percent of even the tiniest microscopic allergens (looking at you, pet dander) as well as certain airborne viruses, bacteria, and mold spores.1
Used in conjunction with the Honeywell Enhanced Pet Odor Reducing Air Purifier Filter (sold separately, view at Walmart), which is loaded with activated carbon and zeolite, pet odors will be captured and absorbed. We only wish the air purifier came in white in addition to black.
Pros & Cons
- POWERFUL EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER–The Honeywell HPA5300 HEPA Air Purifierhelps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (500 sq. ft). HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne allergens &particles.
- HELPS REDUCEALLERGENS –This HEPA air purifierhas 4cleaning levels including TurboClean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne allergens and particles: dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mite debris and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING & CIRCULATION –The Honeywell HPA5300 Air Purifier filters & circulates air in extra-large 500 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour. The activated carbon pre-filter helps capture large airborne particles and reduces odors/VOCs.
- INSIGHT SERIES –This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifieris part of our InSight Series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by U.S. EPA.
- IDEAL FOR WILDFIRE SEASON: Wildfire smoke can impact the air quality where you live, even if you don’t live anywhere near the fires themselves. Because smoke contains extremely small particles, air purifiers can help remove some of these particles¹ from your air.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE –For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
- GENUINE FILTER REPLACEMENTS – Search B07PFFSF42 for Honeywell HRF-A300 replacement pre-filter; B00BWYO0LI for HRF-R3 replacement primary filter – or B07PY4QTRL for the 1-yr value pack. Optional odor filters: B08PQ457VG, B08PQ55GRF, B08PQ5LDYS, B08PQ49LS2
Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets – But there are so many different varieties and models of air purifiers out there, how do you know which one will be most effective as a pet owner?
We’ll we’ve found the best purifiers to dump the dander and keep your pets (and you) free and clear from irritating airborne allergens.