Best Air Purifier for Cigarette Smoke Removal – Science has shown us that cigarette smoke is proven to not only damage our bodies but the bodies of those around us.  The advice from the CDC is to stop smoking cigarettes, but it’s not always an easy feat to quit and you may still want to reduce the amount of smoke in the air in your home.
For many, the problem of cigarette smoke isn’t due to their own habit. A family member or housemate may smoke in the house or the second-hand smoke from a neighbor may creep its way into your apartment. The smell of cigarette smoke can stick around for a long time. It can make its way into the fibers of your clothes, furniture, and even wallpaper. Once it’s there, it can be hard to get rid of.
1.Germ Guardian FLT4825
The GermGuardian AC4825 is one of the best air cleaner for smoke available in the market. It contains an allergen trapping HEPA filter with an odor-reducing charcoal filter and a UV-C light that targets airborne germs.
The pricing is pretty great as well, making the GermGuardian air purifier a great choice for those on a tight budget.
Because of its light and compact design (it’s only 22” tall), you can easily carry it around from room to room.
There are three fan speeds to choose from. The highest speed is ideal when you want to get rid of cigarette smoke quickly. The lowest speed is ideal when you want the purifier to be quiet.
Pros & Cons
- Why buy genuine: genuine germguardian replacement parts are essential for maintaining product performance, as your purifier is only as powerful and effective as the filter you put inside
- Hassle free fit: genuine germ guardian replACement parts fit like a glove and are designed for a particular unit style
- Breathe fresh and cleaner air: a true HEPA filter, ACtivated charcoal layer, and pre filter work to help improve indoor air quality
- Breathe fresh and cleaner air: a HEPA filter, ACtivated charcoal layer, and pre filter work to help improve indoor air quality
- True HEPA filter: reduces up to 99. 97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and allergens as small as . 3 microns from the air
If you are concerned about exposure to ozone from air purifiers with an ionizer, we recommend the LEVOIT LV-H132 air purifier.
It does not contain an ionizer or a UV-C lamp, both of which are associated with the production of ozone. Exposure to high levels of ozone is harmful to your health.
The LV-H132 air purifier uses a 3-stage filtration process to remove cigarette smoke and allergens from indoor air – and it looks good doing it.
The compact air purifier has a sleek modern style that looks great on the coffee table, bedside, your work desk or even on the floor.
It looks like a cylinder with a mostly white and black finish. The buttons to control various settings are at the top where you’ll also find the calming night light.
Pros & Cons
- OFFICIAL REPLACEMENT FILTER: Using official Levoit True HEPA Replacement Filters guarantees the best performance for your air purifier and ensures what you're buying is worthy of your investment. Search B07V23KX9K to buy straight from Levoit.
- Use only genuine LEVOIT lv-h132 replacement filters to keep your air purifier at its best working condition and capacity
- Fine preliminary, H13 true hepa filter and activated carbon filter. It removes 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores, and pet dander
- Perfect for those who are sensitive to the surrounding air quality. It will not release hazardous substances or ozone
- Filters are sealed to protect their lifetime. It is recommended to replace air filters every 6 months. Remove filters from plastic packaging before placing them into air purifier
3.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
An air purifier with an auto mode automatically adjusts fan speed based on the level of pollutants in the air. This lowers energy use and saves you the trouble of constantly adjusting the fan speed.
If someone starts smoking next door, the fan will automatically ramp up to quickly clear the smell and smoke.
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier has a built-in air quality sensor that constantly monitors air quality. If the air is clean, it will stop the fan and go into Eco mode.
It also indicates current air quality using different LED light colors: red for highly polluted, purple for medium polluted and blue for clean.
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room
This one is a dedicated odor eliminator. If your biggest concern is the cigarette smoke and smell – and not allergens or airborne bacteria – then this is the best choice.
It’s a small unit measuring 8.5” by 8.5” by 10”. Weighing only 4 pounds, you can carry it with you to any room. You can even travel with it and use it in smelly hotel rooms.
To maximize its odor-eliminating powers, it is equipped with three carbon filters. The purifier also comes with a scent cartridge to add a fresh smell to your indoor air.
As well as removing cigarette smoke, this air purifier is also great for homes with pets. It eliminates odors coming from the litter, pet food and the pet themselves.
Pros & Cons
- Long-Term Odor Solution: Quiet Fan Pulls In Unwanted Smells That Are Trapped and Neutralized by the 3 Replaceable Carbon Filters, Bringing Fresh Air Back Into Rooms Up to 10 Ft. X 10 Ft.
- Fresh Scent: The Green Meadow Cartridge Offers a Light, Fresh Scent That Replaces Unwanted Odors.
- Traps and Neutralizes Common Household Odors: Terrific for Eliminating Kitchen, Bathroom, Pet, and Tobacco Odors. Also Good for Workrooms and Trash Rooms
- Easy to Use: Simple 2-Speed Control Offers Versatility for Maximum Odor Elimination
- Eliminates Odors and Freshens Air for up to 3 Months: Includes Filter Replacement Indicator to Let You Know When It Is Time to Change the Filter
- Replacement Filters Available: Use Any Trueair Replacement Filter for Common Household, Pets, Tobacco or Green Meadow Scent Cartridge. Models Include 04230g, 04231gw, 04234g, 04290g, 04291g, 04294g and 04600.
The unique feature about the Honeywell 50255B air purifier is its 360-degree air intake and discharge.
Unlike most air purifiers that have intake vents on one side and outlet vents on the other, this cylindrical air purifier takes in air from all direction and emits fresh air in all directions.
This not only increases purification performance, but it also ensures everyone in the room is breathing in clean, healthy air.
It also allows the filter to remove cigarette smoke coming from any direction quickly.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA200 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for large rooms (310 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE AIRBORNES - This HEPA air purifier has 3 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA200 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in large 310 sq. ft. rooms every 12.5 minutes.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
- IDEAL FOR WILDFIRE SEASON: Wildfire smoke can impact the air quality where you live, even if you don’t live anywhere near the fires themselves. Because smoke contains extremely small particles, air purifiers can help remove some of these particles¹ from your air.
6.Austin Air HealthMate
If you love the powerful coverage of the Rabbit Air MinusA2 but don’t like its style or some other feature, the Healthmate HM400 from Austin Air is a great alternative.
The Healthmate is about as pricey as the Minus A2, but you get more features and slightly better performance.
Style-wise, the Healthmate HM400 has a boxy suitcase look with caster wheels. It has a nice retro yet modern style that I think most will love.
The fan speed setting is a classic dial that lets you select from the three fan speeds.
Pros & Cons
- The Austin Air Healthmate is the best choice for people looking for everyday protection from indoor air pollutants.
- Highly efficient at removing a wide range of indoor air pollutants such as dust, pet dander, pollen and gases from the home.
- Over 780 cubic inches of activated carbon and zeolite filtration removes chemicals, gases and odors
- The Austin Air Healthmate reduces coughing, wheezing and sneezing. Reduces dry mouth and runny nose. Reduces snoring and helps you sleep better. Strengthens the immune system.
7.EnviroKlenz Air Purifier
If you are worried about VOCs in your indoor air, as well as cigarette smoke, the EnviroKlenz Air Purifier Plus easily tackles both.
It contains a special cartridge filter with metal oxides that eliminate almost all volatile organic compounds from the air, as well as odors and microbes. A HEPA filter then deals with the smoke particles, and any other fine pollutants in the air.
The EnviroKlenz Air Purifier Plus is also a great choice if you are looking for a large room air purifier.
Pros & Cons
- IMPROVE YOUR AIR with an easy-to-use, easy-to-fit, portable air purifier. The EnviroKlenz Home Air System cleans the air in any space up to 1000 square feet with minimum noise and up to four-speed options.
- INCLUDES HEPA FILTRATION captures any harmful particulates, like dust, allergens, pet dander, and others. Our system also provides additional germicidal irradiation and internal cleaning of the system. It’s ideal during seasonal events, such as wildfire season and spring allergies.
- ELIMINATES AIRBORNE TOXINS going beyond standard air filtration, thanks to our patented technology that neutralizes airborne toxins and unpleasant odors and destroys them safely. The EnviroKlenz Air Purifier does not release anything back into the environment nor uses any harmful chemicals.
- ANY SPACE UP TO 1000 SQUARE FEET can be free of air pollution with maximum coverage and 3 to 5 air exchanges per hour. That’s why we’re present in over 100,000 classrooms in the US, nursing homes, dental offices, and office spaces in general.
- WITH A 5-YEAR WARRANTY, all of our products are 100% made in the USA and use our patented technology: we’ve created a safe, chemical-free technology by using the natural capabilities of earth’s minerals compounds.
Best Air Purifier for Cigarette Smoke Removal – If you want to smoke indoors or tackle the consequences of others smoking inside, you’ll be best off buying a high-powered air purifier that cleans the air regularly. For issues of smoke from outside your home, you might be able to get away with a smaller unit.
If you prefer to smoke cigars, then be sure to also look at our recently updated list of the best air purifiers for cigar smoke – the requirements are slightly different so worth checking if you mainly smoke cigars vs cigarettes.