Best Air Purifier for Dust and Allergies – You already know it’s important to regularly clean your home, but there’s one part beyond the surfaces that’s often looked over: the air. Using an air purifier can help make sure the air you breathe is cleaner, but not all air purifiers are created equal.
That’s why the Lab experts at the Good Housekeeping Institute dug deep into the research to find the best air purifiers on the market. We vetted dozens of air purifiers by evaluating their controls and interfaces for ease of use, road testing in our homes and labs, in addition to reviewing specifications and test documentations and selecting from brands we know and trust.
1.Blueair Blue Pure 211+
Our testers have evaluated many Blueair air purifiers in recent years. The brand is a standout for performance and reliability and we found the Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier to be best for removing an array of particles from the air, including dust and smoke.
The device’s three-part filtration system (one each for fabric, particles and carbon particles) claims to clear up to 99% of common airborne pollutants. It’s designed to cover up to 540 square feet, which is the ideal size for a family room, master bedroom or large office. The best part?
Pros & Cons
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair's HEPASilent technology, delivers clean air, faster, and much more quietly than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or up to 2592sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 211+ has won Good Housekeeping – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Overall Air Purifier; Wirecutter Pick - The Best Air Purifier - 2019 - 2022
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
- GENUINE FILTERS FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: Replace your filter every 6 months to ensure proper functionality & only use genuine Blueair filters; Shop 211+ replacement filter: B073SKH39W; Upgrade to SmokeBlock filter for enhanced removal: B0B453ZDZ6
2.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
The sleek, compact design of this air purifier will make it anything but an eyesore in your home. Its four-stage filtration system features a HEPA filter and is able to pull dust particles of all sizes from the air. It also captures other airborne allergens including pet dander and mold, which can alleviate symptoms related to asthma as well.
A built-in air quality sensor alerts the machine when it needs to do double time on eliminating those pesky allergens. If no allergens are detected in a 30-minute span, the machine temporarily turns off to save power.
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
This air purifier from Honeywell, another established brand in the home comfort space, comes in five different sizes that target rooms ranging from small (75 square feet) to extra large (465 square feet).
This model, previously the brand’s largest, claims to clean the air as often as five times an hour and remove up to 99.97% of super tiny airborne particles (including viruses). Since it’s HEPA-certified, our testers found this air purifier to be a superb choice for allergy sufferers because it can remove fine particles and common allergens from the air.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
This multitasking pick is an air purifier, sound machine, and nightlight all in one, ensuring that the nursery, kids’ rooms, and playroom is fully-equipped with everything your little one needs for a healthy, good night’s sleep.
It uses a HEPA filter to remove smoke, odor, and germs from the air and features multiple fan settings that run on a timer and won’t disturb your sleeping baby. Choose between multiple soothing sounds and four colors for their nightlight to create a peaceful ambience for your child.
Pros & Cons
- SLEEPY SOUNDS: Choose from two white noise options to help little ones fall asleep
- HEPA FILTER: Removes smoke, odors + pollution from the air
- LONG-LASTING: Easy-change air filter lasts for 90 days
- ADJUSTABLE FAN: Choose from three fan speeds with an auto-off timer
- COLOR NIGHTLIGHT: Pick from four nightlight color options to set the mood at bedtime
- CONTENTS: 1 Sound Machine, 1 HEPA Filter + 1 Instruction Manual
Able to be wall-mounted or used as a portable purifier, this appliance is impressive on many counts. It has a standard coverage of 700 square feet, which is perfect for larger spaces, and a CADR capable of trapping pollen, dust and smoke in your designated space within that size. It’s crucial when shopping for an air purifier for allergies that you look out for a solid clean air delivery rate (CADR), and this air purifier claims to have high delivery rates with all of those allergens.
When it comes to selecting an air purifier for your home, there’s a number of practical features to think about too.
Pros & Cons
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Toxin Absorber customized filter: Traps and reduces volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other chemicals.
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 815 sq. ft.
One of Amazon’s best-sellers in the “HEPA Filter Air Purifier” category, with more than 9,000 five-star ratings from customers, this tower-shaped air purifier combines a HEPA filter, charcoal filter, and UV-C light to get your home dust-free. Another perk: It also eliminates odors from pets and smoking and kills airborne bacteria in its tracks.
One buyer with a cat went as far as to call it “life changing”: “We have two cats in our 4,000-square foot house. When my sister came from out of state, she asked if our cats ran away. She said our home had zero odor or scents, which is what I was going for.”
Pros & Cons
- 3-IN-1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME - True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS - Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS - Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION - The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
Best Air Purifier for Dust and Allergies – Air purifiers make a lot of hefty claims in terms of what they can do for allergies and asthma. Finding an air purifier that uses a HEPA filter as well as a prefilter is probably your best starting point for finding something that works well.
Consider other concerns, such as noise level, energy use, and how often the filters need to be replaced when you’re looking for a dust control solution for your space.