Best Air Purifier for Home – The home should be a safe place, but the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that “concentrations of some pollutants are often two to five times higher” in homes than outdoors.
There are measures you can take to protect yourself from indoor air pollutants, however, such as improving airflow indoors, getting rid of toxic household cleaners and products with artificial fragrances, and investing in a quality air purifier.
1.Molekule Air Pro
This pick from Molekule is one of the priciest on the list, but for serious allergy-sufferers, it may be a worthwhile investment. “Air purifiers with traditional filters (like HEPA) are able to capture 99.97% of mold spores, pollen, dust, bacteria and other airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns,” explains the brand’s co-founder, president and chief technology officer Dilip Goswami.
“What they’re not able to do is capture VOCs—airborne chemicals that mostly derive from off-gassing of building materials or products in our homes or things like everyday cleaning products. Molekule’s proprietary technology, photo electrochemical oxidation (PECO), not only tackles VOCs, but also uses oxidation to destroy indoor air pollutants at molecular levels.”
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Pro is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses, bacteria and mold.
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces up to 1000 sq ft or high-traffic areas, with 3x the airflow of Molekule’s award-winning consumer devices.
- PECO-powered: Breakthrough PECO technology doesn’t just collect pollutants, it destroys VOCs, bacteria, viruses, mold, pollen, pet dander, and more.
- Particle & chemical sensors: detects VOCs and a range of air particles in three sizes, to better understand what’s in your air, from PM10 (pollen) and PM2.5 (dust), to smaller than PM1 (smoke).
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet automatically regulate fan speed based on particle levels, at noise levels ideal for day or night, as well as a 6-speed manual mode.
- Smart & connected: Easy-to-control touch-screen interface. For added convenience, connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Portable: With its vegan leather handle, Molekule Air Pro can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- Expanded air history stats track indoor air quality from one day to the next. Toggle between Day and Week View to see the quality of the air you breathe, with the ability to swipe back through the previous four weeks to identify pollutant trends.
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Explore Air Score for an overall real-time snapshot of your air, or dive deeper into each air quality factor. Plus, see changes in 5-minute increments for real-time changes.
2.LEVOIT Air Purifiers
Compact enough to fit on your desk and designed to filter up to about 129 square feet, this compact Levoit model is equipped with a HEPA filter that removes 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores and pet dander.
It’s an excellent inexpensive option that eschews technology like UV and ionization more commonly found in this price range. Instead it features a three-stage filtration system that includes a pre-filter, a HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter. And three fan settings let you control the speed and volume of the purifier.
Pros & Cons
- OZONE-FREE FILTRATION: Safe is top priority UV-C light purification methods can produce high levels of ozone that can be harmful to children, asthma patients, and pets. This air purifier only uses premium filtration, so you can experience clean, healthy air with Levoit
- SAY GOODBYE TO POLLUTED AIR: Have you ever seen what comes out of your vents, from heating and air conditioning. Even inside, you're under attack by so many pollutants. This air purifier uses 3-stage H13 True HEPA Filtration to trap dust, pet dander, pollen, and more. End the suffering, with the finest air purifier in its class
- BEST-SELLING BRAND: Brand in the US, LV-H132 has been chosen by 958,256 customers across 9 countries. Levoit cares about your thoughts and never use fake reviews, so you can trust what you see
- Official Levoit Filters: Search for B06XD7X81D or LV-H132-RF to find the Levoit Personal True HEPA Replacement Filter. Levoit replacement filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- ALWAYS HIGH-QUALITY: Everyone deserves to feel refreshed and safe at home.
- WHISPER-QUIET: Trying to sleep with rattling or loud humming noises coming from your air purifier. With noise levels as low as 25dB, this air purifier is so quiet, you can run it throughout the night and sleep soundly
- CLEAN AIR AROUND THE HOUSE: Quickly refresh the air in rooms as large as 129 ft² in 15 minutes. No matter where you spend the most time at home, enjoy fresh air in any room
- USTOMIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE: Prefer to sleep with a night light? Select from two night light brightness settings to create your perfect sleep environment
- SAVE ENERGY, SAVE MONEY: Sticking to a budget? No problem! This air purifier filters the air without using UV-C light, reducing its energy consumption to just 28W. Operating at its highest fan speed 24/7, running this air purifier can cost less than $3 per month!
This Honeywell HPA100 might not look like much—it has all the visual appeal of a space heater—but Honeywell, no doubt, is hoping you’ll care more about what it can do. This model is designed for medium-size rooms (about 155 square feet) and features a true HEPA filter for guaranteed removal of 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns. Honeywell says that its fan can filter the air in the room five times an hour.
It’s one of the more configurable air purifiers on this list. The control panel on the top of the unit lets you set up to four different cleaning levels (which affect the fan speed and overall noise level) and has an auto-off timer option so it doesn’t run continuously.
Pros & Cons
- MEDIUM ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA100 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for medium rooms (155 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration captures up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA100 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in medium 155 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.HATHASPACE Air Purifier
If you have pets, you need the Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier 2.0. This large capacity air purifier—it can replace the air in a 1,500-square-foot room up to 24 times per day—features a 5-in-1 filtration system that eliminates more than 99% of allergens and pollutants, like pet dander and the dust from a litter box. It also has an activated carbon filter that removes smoke, odors and gases and a cold catalyst filter that eliminates VOCs and harmful chemicals found in cleaning products or other household items, like candles or plug-ins.
It has a washable pre-filter that keeps pet hair away from the HEPA filter to improve performance and increase life expectancy. And, it’s easy to clean—just take it out, wash it down and it’s ready to start purifying again.
Pros & Cons
- Purify your air – Our 5-in-1 filter system targets pollen, dust, pet dander, VOC’s, smoke, and odors. Our H11 HEPA filter captures 99.9% of particles down to 0.3 microns.
- What you get – Smart air purifier, True HEPA filter set, remote control, manual, 2-year warranty, award-winning customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted American brand.
- Remove odors, smoke, & VOC’s – Both an air cleaner and odor eliminator, our air purifier features a unique honeycomb activated-carbon filter that absorbs odors, smoke, and VOC’s. With a state-of-the-art fan and motor, enjoy clean air delivered quietly and efficiently in your home, bedroom, office, kitchen, basement, dorm, apartment, or living room.
- Breathe easier – Nothing feels better than breathing clean air. Read our 10,000+ reviews and see just how much our air purifier can assist and support the body’s natural response during allergy season.
- Smart air purifier – In AUTO mode, a smart air quality sensor detects pollutants in your air, adjusting the fan speed in real-time. A digital display on the unit reveals your air quality level, so you always know what you’re breathing.
5.Alen 75i Air Purifier
Looking to cover a lot of square footage? Not a problem with the Alen BreatheSmart 75i Large Room Air Purifier. This air purifier cleans up to about 1,300 square feet twice an hour without making a lot of noise. In fact, Alen claims the technology in the BreatheSmart is twice as quiet as that of its key competitors, even on Turbo speed.
The Alen BreatheSmart features a HEPA Pure filter that is certified to capture 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns. This works in combination with the device’s Laser Smart Sensor, which also detects airborne particles down to 0.3 microns, to effectively clean your air of dust, pollen, allergens and dander.
Pros & Cons
- B7 FRESH FILTER: Alen's Pure HEPA air purifier filter eliminates airborne allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, and mildew and concentrates on dust, odor, and smoke. It includes 3.6 lbs of activated carbon to capture heavy smoke from cigarettes, wildfires, and VOC fumes to help prevent respiratory issues. Thus, it recommended the best air purifier for smokers and those who love to cook.
- VERSATILE & QUIET: The Alen BreatheSmart 75i's are perfect air purifiers for the bedroom and living room. Our cleaners are dust removers for lofts, flats, workplaces, kitchens, basements, and big open-concept spaces. It is our most versatile and powerful large room air purifier that can clean a 1300 SqFt every 30 minutes.
- SMART SENSOR FEATURE: Using our air purifier, you can see your air quality at a glance, thanks to the LED color display. The AUTO mode is designed to run constantly. It is controlled by Smart Sensors, which detect air, dust, or pollutants and automatically speed up or slow down the fan to filter the air and change the quality.
- MEDICAL GRADE PROTECTION: This air cleaner has a medical-grade 3-Stage H13 Pure HEPA filtration that captures 99.99% of particles as small as 0.1 microns. HEPA air filtration is the third of the five stages. With the Pure HEPA filter, you'll get up to 12 months of pure air production.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
6.Blueair Blue Pure 411
If you’re looking for a snazzy looking device for modestly sized rooms, this Blueair model may well be the way to go. It’s designed for spaces up to about 160 square feet, and Blueair claims it can filter that space five times an hour.
This three-stage air purifier combines mechanical filtration with an electrostatic filter and, to reduce odors, an activated carbon filter. It comes with two washable pre-filters designed for filtering out particles, pet dander, smoke and more.
Pros & Cons
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 190sqft small room in about 12.5 min or up to 912sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- CERTIFIED QUIETEST AIR PURIFIER: Quiet Mark approved - quieter (18 dB) than a whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (2W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA plus ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 411 Auto has won Good Housekeeping Lab Pick – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Value Air Purifier
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
7.Dyson Pure Hot +
While the Dyson Purifier Humidify + Cool is admittedly expensive, it replaces three different devices with its purifying, humidifying and cooling capabilities. True to the Dyson name, it performs with efficiency and cutting-edge technology, including sensors that constantly monitor the air.
In addition to containing a HEPA filter that eliminates 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns, it also has an activated carbon layer that filters odors and VOCs. It also sanitizes the water used to humidify with ultraviolet light, ensuring your air stays as pure as possible. You can set the fan to Breeze mode, which offers a cooling airstream as it purifies and humidifies, or switch to Backward Airflow mode for improving the air without a chill.
Pros & Cons
- Multi functionality; HEPA Air Purifier. Space heater, + fan; In one; Backward airflow mode purifies without cooling or heating you
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- SENSES: Automatically senses air pollution events, initiates purification, & reports air quality levels on LCD display, including ultrafine particles (PM 2.5), allergens (PM10), volatile organic compounds (VOCs) & nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- Captures: The sealed HEPA filter captures 99.97 percent of allergens as small as 0.3 microns makes this an ideal air purifier for allergies, pets, dust, smoke, pollen and mold spores
- Projects: Projects purified air throughout the whole room; Air Multiplier technology delivers over 77 gallons per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow; Up to 350 degree of oscillation directs airflow where you need it to help make the air cleaner
- Heats: The HP04 purifying space heater can be used for long range personal heating or fast, even room heating; Heats with thermostatic control in the winter to bring the room up to the right temperature
- Connected: Wi-Fi connected home air purifier and heater; See real time reports, remotely control your machine and create schedules around your day using the Dyson Link app
- Alexa enabled: Voice control using Alexa to turn on/off, turn on auto mode, and update you on the indoor air quality
- Other product listings for non authorized 3rd party sellers are not covered by official Dyson
- Warning: Unauthorized replacement filters are not tested or verified to perform at HEPA standard; Only authentic Dyson filters are recommended to ensure a sealed system and proper functioning of the machine
Best Air Purifier for Home – The best air purifiers are able to filter out chemicals, toxins, and particles that cause allergies and other health issues.
Besides creating a cleaner environment, you may be able to get rid of unusual odors or even reduce the chances of respiratory issues like hay fever and asthma. Unfortunately, all air purifiers aren’t created equally.