Best Air Purifier for kitchen – Whether you are using a conventional stove or a modern heat induction, a kitchen air purifier is always welcome to compliment the range hood or exhaust fan.
It helps remove food odor and harmful smoke odors like carbon monoxide, formaldehyde released during cooking. However, there are lots of considerations you will need to account for. Find out which air purifier is the best for kitchen use for home or restaurant.
1.BISSELL MYair Air Purifier
Bissell MyAir is a compact cylindrical-type air purifier that you can use on the kitchen countertop or floor. The purifier has a 3-in-1 filter, including a true HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter to remove both particulates and cooking smells from the air.
With 3 level fan speeds, the purifier is recommended to use in a 100 sq ft space. The filter will last no more than three months for regular use. The built-in filter indicator will notify you when the filter needs to be replaced.
Pros & Cons
- Captures indoor smoke and outdoor smoke that gets indoors.
- 3-in-1 filter includes pre-filter layer and a combination of an activated carbon and high efficiency filter that work to capture 99.7% of 0.3 micron particles or larger on sleep mode, including pollen, dust, smoke, and dander.
- Activated carbon captures common household odors, pet odors and volatile organic compounds.
- Operates at a whisper-quiet level to contribute to a peaceful sleeping environment.
- Choose between high or low fan speed, as well as a sleep fan speed that operates at a whisper quiet sound level.
- Recommended for spaces around 100 sq. ft. , so it's great for home offices or bedrooms.
Winix 5500-2 has two-stage filtrations for neutralizing kitchen odors. The first stage is a pelletized activated carbon filter in a honeycomb structure, which is also washable. The second stage for removing odors and VOCs is electronic Plasmawave filtration, a very few air purifier has this add-on.
It has a True HEPA-grade filter to remove particulate pollutants, which traps particles sized down to 0.3 microns. With a Tobacco Smoke CADR of 232 cfm, the purifier is suitable for large kitchens. The purifier is capable of cleaning a 350 sq ft space five times an hour.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
3.Molekule – Air Mini+
The problem with activated carbon or charcoal-based air purifiers is, they often start off-gassing. Because they don’t break down the gases and VOCs after adsorbing. Unlike adsorption media type filters, Molekule Air Mini+ comes with a PECO filtration system, which breaks down the gases and VOCs by a harmless chemical reaction.
The purifier is proven in the Berkeley Lab that the PECO filtration is very efficient at removing common household volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Furthermore, it uses a low-energy UV-A light to initiate the chemical reaction into its nanoparticle-coated filter and doesn’t produce any traceable amount of ozone.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Mini+ is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses & bacteria, and trap 95% of particles 0.3-1 micron in size
- Made for smaller spaces: designed for smaller spaces up to 250 sq. ft. like studio apartments, kids’ bedrooms & home offices
- PECO-powered: Uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, allergens, bacteria, mold, chemicals & more
- Auto Protect mode: Delivers particle protection by auto-adjusting fan speed based on the sensor. Auto Protect is designed for non-medical use. For home-or-commercial healthcare use, Mini+ should be used on fan speed 3 or higher
- PECO-Filter status indicator: Easily track the replacement schedule for your PECO-Filter
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Whisper quiet: With a 39-decibel Silent Mode, Air Mini+ is sonically unobtrusive
- Efficient purification: Air Mini+ uses low energy, so let it run 24/7 to help maintain fresh air
- Portable: With its vegan-leather handle, Air Mini+ can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business
- App-enabled: Check filter status and change your device’s fan speed from your app, wherever you are
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
Dyson DP04 HEPA air purifier is a futuristic-looking device loaded with features. It has a built-in VOC sensor and an activated carbon filter layer to detect and remove the odorous smell from cooking.
It also has a sensor to detect Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) gas, which is often released from unvented gas (natural gas or propane) stoves. Although conventional air purifiers cannot filter NO2 from the air effectively, you can take proper action using the data. Check out the impacts of indoor nitrogen oxide pollution.
Pros & Cons
Bissell Air220 air purifier comes in a sleek four-legged design, which will easily fit in a tight kitchen space. The front-to-top airflow design will allow you to place it against the wall.
The purifier has a 3 stage mechanical-only air filtration, a pre-filter, a true HEPA filter, and a honeycomb activated carbon filter. Instead of a 3-in-1 combined package, the filters are separate. It will allow you to replace the filters independently, which is also cost-effective and environmentally friendly.
Pros & Cons
- 3-Stage Filtration for Simply Clean Air. Includes a pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and an H13 HEPA filter to capture large and fine particles, home odors, odors from pet, and VOCs.
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter. Captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and smaller when on lowest fan speed, helping to remove airborne allergens and irritants like dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke like that from wildfires, cooking, and smoking.
- Honeycomb-Structured Carbon Filter. Filter contains thousands of activated carbon pellets engineered to capture gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors including odors from pets, cooking and smoke.
- Large Room Coverage and AHAM Certified. Filters 1252 sq. ft. with 1 air change/hour. Filters 626 sq. ft. with 2 air changes/hour. Filters 417 sq. ft. with 3 air changes/hour. Filters rooms 258 sq. ft. providing 4.8 air changes/hour.
- Low Energy and Library Quiet. Energy Star rated and equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is as quiet as a library.
- Automated CirQulate System. VOC sensor monitors and provides colored-coded, indoor air quality feedback and adjusts to the appropriate fan speed for continuous clean air.
- Whisper Quiet Sound Level. Equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is whisper quiet. Perfect for bedrooms and contributes to a peaceful sleeping environment.
- Optimized Airflow. Powerful XL fan draws air in through the front of the air purifier and through 3 filters, releasing clean air through the top of the machine.
- Easy Filter Maintenance. Filter change indicator will inform you when it’s time for new filters. Filters should be replaced approximately every 6 months. Only use genuine BISSELL Replacement Filters to ensure excellent performance. Search AMAZON ASIN: B09BP4FW9F.
6.Blueair Blue Pure 311
To efficiently remove pollutants with an air purifier, you need a 360-degree air intake design. Blue Pure 311 Auto has a large air intake area that pulls the air from all directions. Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto purifies the air using a pre-filter and a 2-in-1 particle plus carbon filter.
The filtration system is boosted with an electrostatic filtration (HEPASilent™), which increases the overall filtration efficiency. Because of this add-on, Blueair has been able to keep its particle filter less dense than the HEPA filter. Due to this, the purifier has high clean air delivery ratings using very little electrical energy.
Pros & Cons
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 388sqft medium room in about 12.5 min or up to 1862qft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIETEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (23 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (3W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA & ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 311 Auto has won Wirecutter Pick – The Best Air Purifier 2021, 2020, 2019; The Spruce Recommends – Top Pick
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
7.LEVOIT Air Purifier
Levoit vital 100 air purifier is a sleek and compact air purifier from Levoit. Despite being lightweight and compact, the purifier has an effective 3-in-1 filter. The filter consists of a washable pre-filter, a honeycomb structured carbon filter, and an H13-grade HEPA filter.
The filter combination is suitable for trapping household pollutants, including odors from cooking and pets. It pulls the air from the two sideways and delivers from the top, which is suitable for a small kitchen.
Pros & Cons
- CERTIFIED LEVOIT REPLACEMENT FILTER: Use genuine Levoit Vital 100-RF replacement filter to keep your air purifier working at its full capacity.
- WASHABLE PRE-FILTER: Easily remove and wash the pre-filter to extend the life of your filter.
- TRUE HEPA FILTER: Breathe in pure air that’s free of 99. 97% of pollutants as small as 0. 3 μm such as dust mites, pet dander, and pollen.
- ADVANCED ACTIVATED CARBON FILTER: Enjoy a reduction in household odors such as cooking smells, pet odors, and cigarette smoke.
- MAINTENANCE TIP: Keep your air fresh and clean by replacing your filter every 6–8 months. Using an old filter lowers your air purifier’s efficiency.
- HELPFUL INFORMATION: Your purchase comes with lifetime customer support. Also, remember to remove the filter’s plastic packaging before inserting it into your air purifier.
Best Air Purifier for kitchen – There are two types of sources of air pollution in the kitchen. Gas stoves often produce carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and other harmful pollutants.
Cooking and frying also release multiple odorous volatile organic compounds and particles into the air. A simple range hood can remove these pollutants from the kitchen.