Best Air Purifier for Odors – You already know it’s important to regularly clean your home, but there’s one part beyond the surfaces that’s often looked over: the air. Using an air purifier can help make sure the air you breathe is cleaner, but not all air purifiers are created equal. That’s why the Lab experts at the Good Housekeeping Institute dug deep into the research to find the best air purifiers on the market.
We vetted dozens of air purifiers by evaluating their controls and interfaces for ease of use, road testing in our homes and labs, in addition to reviewing specifications and test documentations and selecting from brands we know and trust.
More than 35,000 reviewers give this air purifier five stars, and many report better breathing and alleviated allergy symptoms. One user from Napa, California, bought this after a forest fire and writes, “This air purifier has made breathing noticeably easier in our home, and the air smells much cleaner, especially with the ultraviolet light turned on.” Many customers chalk up how well and quickly this purifier works to the True HEPA filter.
“I bought this model specifically because it uses ‘True HEPA’ filtration, which filters out the smaller smoke particles that can get into your bloodstream,” one writes. Another reviewer warns, “The replacement True HEPA filters are a bit pricey at around $28 last I checked, but they last about six months, give or take.”
Pros & Cons
- PLUGGABLE AIR SANITIZER - Provides cleaner air and helps reduce airborne germs and reduce household odors caused by bacteria, pets, and cooking fumes
- COMPACT DESIGN - This 7-inch wall-pluggable sanitizer is perfect for the kitchen, litter box room, bathroom, or childrens' room
- REDUCES ODORS - Reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- NO FILTER REPLACEMENT - Only a single GermGuardian UV-C light bulb (model LB1000) needs to be replaced every 10-12 months depending on use
2.LEVOIT Air Purifier
This Levoit air purifier’s “sleep mode” is mentioned in dozens of reviews, and when turned on, the device is so quiet, one reviewer “couldn’t hear anything at all, and had to look in [the] manual to make sure it still was filtering in that mode.”
Another reviewer “had to double-check that it’s on before sleeping. It’s really that quiet.” And they add that “since the very first day I began using it, I have not once had allergies at night.”
Pros & Cons
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 cleans spaces up to 547 ft² in 30 minutes, 219 ft² in 12 minutes (CADR: 141 CFM / 240 m³/h). Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER: Choose Sleep Mode at night and then forget all about your air purifier while you sleep. QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24dB, ensuring the Core 300 won’t get in the way of a good night’s rest
- SLEEK DESIGN: The Core 300 practically serves your home while blending in with your decor. Its award-winning design (Red Dot, 2020) and modern white finish help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
- UNDISTURBED OPERATION: The display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect night of sleep without the effect of light. A timer for 2/4/6/8 hours and filter lifetime indicator for your convenience
- FULL CERTIFIED FOR SAFER: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed
3.MOOKA Air Purifier
This Mooka air purifier is a big hit among reviewers who love the sound of gentle white noise. One reviewer who suffers from tinnitus found the sound produced by this purifier to be an unexpected boon: “If you’ve got ringing in your ears that gets super annoying when it’s quiet, this thing will prevent the ringing from consuming you.
I plan on moving the unit into my bedroom tonight to see if it will help me sleep better.” Another reviewer was afraid that the “noise level … would be hard to get used to in my bedroom, because I am so used to it being very quiet” but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it’s “really a relaxing sound.”
Pros & Cons
- MOOKA B-D02L AIR PURIFIER FOR LARGE ROOM - With the high-efficiency filtration system, the air purifier covers an area up to 860ft²(80m²). 6 air changes per hour in 215ft², 1 air changes per hour in 860ft². Modern design fits in any space from small to large rooms, bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries, kitchens and basements. Perfect for pet owners, allergics, babies, children, the elderly, or anyone wanting to improve the air quality.
- H13 TRUE HEPA AIR PURIFIER – The pre-filter, H13 true HEPA filter and high-efficiency activated carbon filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odor, and large dust particles, in addition to removing all airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. Powerful efficient Air filter cleaner prevents respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and asthma.
- ULTRA-QUIET, ENERGY-SAVING & SAFE - Thanks to the new brushless motor, the 20dB noise level is almost voiceless. It cleans your air, doesn't affect your work, study or sleep. Running in low power makes it extremely energy-saving. Child lock prevents error operations caused by pets or children. The replacement filter should be replaced every 3-6 months depending on the environment and usage frequency (Search for B08PK4WM4W).
- 4 TIMER SETTINGS, 4 FAN MODES, AND NIGHT LIGHT – 4 timer options (1H/2H/4H/8H) allow you set the air purifier operating time. Adjust the required fan speed mode (Sleep/Low/Med/High) to capture as much air pollutants as required. Soft night light, that prevents falls, can be turned off to enjoy the perfect dreaming. Press the top power button for 3 seconds to turn ON/OFF the night light when the machine is running.
- WORRY-FREE FOR LONG USE - We love our customers and take pride in providing a pleasant shopping experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Note:1.The power adapter is placed with the filter, please open the bottom base cover to find it.2.Please remove the new filter plastic bag before running the air purifier.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
Coway is loved across the world for its unique technology, award-winning design and user friendly Air Purifiers. Coway has World’s Largest R&D Centre for Air Care Products with 243 full-time researchers. Today, “Coway Air Purifier” is India’s No. 1 selling Air Purifier Brand. TECH. SPECS: Supply: 230V 50Hz. | Power : 38 Watts. | Noise: 22-49 dB. | Gross Weight: 7.50 Kg | 5 Years Warranty on Motor, 1 Year Warranty on Product.
FILTERS AND LIFE OF FILTER: Pre-Filter (To Trap PM10 Particles, Life-long), Patented Urethane Carbon Filter (To Deodorize the air & Remove VOCs, Life 8500 Hours), Multi Layered Anti-Virus Green HEPA Filter (To effectively trap PM2.5 particles and eliminate Viruses & Allergens, Life 8500 Hours).
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
3 Stage cleaning, removes a range of allergens: dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, odors, pet dander, mold spores and organic chemicals. CFM (Sleep / Low / Med / High / Turbo) : 35.31 / 70.63 / 91.82 / 123.60 / 240.14
Pros & Cons
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 3 Stage cleaning, removes a range of allergens: dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, odors, pet dander, mold spores and organic chemicals. CFM (Sleep / Low / Med / High / Turbo) : 35.31 / 70.63 / 91.82 / 123.60 / 240.14
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone
- Delivered air flow :236 CFM, decibels : 27.8 . Smart Sensor gauges the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night-time operation
- No remote control . CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, baby nurseries and offices
6.Holmes Air Purifier
Over 1,600 reviewers were impressed with this small-but-mighty tabletop air purifier, praising its ability to cut out cooking smells and pet odors. With its slim design, many say it’s also perfectly suited to sit atop desks or nightstands. “Nice small air cleaner that packs a real punch!” writes one reviewer. “I have one in each of our bedrooms. They are small, compact and do a great job cleaning the air.”
Another reviewer who is a prolific vaper purchased this to “help reduce the amount of vapor clouds in our family room,” and says it’s “been doing a phenomenal job … I put [it] on the end table next to where I sit and exhale my clouds in the direction of this purifier and it helps to eliminate about 90% of the vapor clouds.”
Pros & Cons
- REMOVES UP TO 99% OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: The Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type Air Purifier with Optional Ionizer captures particles as small as 2 microns, removing up to 99% of airborne particles and allergens such as pollen, dust, mold, pet dander, and smoke from the air so you can breathe more comfortably
- INCLUDES IONIZER: This Holmes air purifier features an optional air ionizer that helps to bind negative ions to airborne smoke, dust, and pollen to form larger particles that are more easily captured, helping to clean air more thoroughly and tackling odors
- 70 CADR: Air purifier provides a 70 CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: 3 speed settings to help you keep your air clean and pure
- SLIM DESIGN, IDEAL FOR SMALL ROOMS: Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq. ft.; can be placed vertically or horizontally anywhere, including a table or desktop.
- DURABLE: 3-year limited warranty
- HEPA type filter helps remove up to 99% of airborne particles as small as 2 microns from the air passing through it
- 3 speed settings provide options for different conditions, and optional ionizer assists in particle removal
- Slim dual positioning design can be placed vertically or horizontally to best fit your space
- Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq ft (10ft x 11ft), Smoke CADR 70
- Any Holmes AER1 Series HAPF30AT, HAPF30AO, HAPF30AH, HAPF300AP Filters or Holmes HAPF30D-U2 HEPA TYPE or Holmes HAPF300D-U2 TRUE HEPA Filter & a Holmes Arm and Hammer Carbon Filter AOR31
7.Hamilton Beach TrueAir
Several reviewers use the word “economical” to describe this air purifier from Hamilton Beach, including one who has six cats and struggled with both odors and dust. “I put this right next to my cat box and it has almost taken all the litter dust out of my utility room,” the reviewer writes.
And lots of reviewers specifically bought this air purifier because of the permanent filter, which means that they don’t have to order replacement filters and allows for even more cost savings.
Pros & Cons
- 3 Filtration Stages: Permanent HEPA grade filter captures dander & particles plus 2 replaceable carbon zeolite filters to target plus a pre filter for pet hair and larger particles
- High Performance Hepa Grade Filter: Captures 99 Percent of Pet Dander,, Pollen, and spores as Small as 3 Microns From the Air
- 2 Activated Carbon Zeolite Filters Help Reduce Unwanted Household From Pets, Smoke, and More
- Quiet and Powerful: Use Whisper Clean for Extra Quiet Operation at Night, the Medium Setting or the Quick Clean Setting for More Powerful Air Cleaning
- Easy to Clean: Permanent Hepa Grade Filter Can Be Vacuumed Clean; No Replacement Filters to Buy
Best Air Purifier for Odors – Given the increased focus on air purifiers of late, we decided to update our report with additional model recommendations, based on further specification reviews and road tests of reliable brands.
During the pandemic, our chief engineer, Rachel Rothman, tested more than 12 models in her home, logging 100,000-plus hours of total run time, along with extensive usability tests. The devices were exposed to drying paint, kitchen fumes and even dirty diapers to measure air purification across a range of scenarios and common at-home needs.