Best Air Purifier for Pet Odors – Although this is a small price to pay for the love and companionship of having a pet in the family, I’m sure we would all love to eradicate these unpleasant odors. Especially when you consider we often become nose blind to the smells in our home, so it may be even worse than you think!
With the pet industry booming in recent years, there are many innovations you can buy to help care for your pet. But when it comes to unwanted odors, one of the most effective solutions is to invest in a quality air purifier.
In order to tackle odors, or any volatile organic compound (VOC air purifiers), you will need a purifier with an activated carbon filter. This filter, made up of a sponge-like bed of charcoal, works by absorbing VOCs from the air as they pass through the purifier.
As well as odors, we know pet dander and hair can be a nuisance when cleaning your home and trigger allergies amongst many other unpleasant side effects. An air purifier can certainly help with this issue too. As each purifier on our list also utilizes HEPA filters, they can easily capture and remove these particles and odors from the air.
1.LEVOIT Air Purifier
The Core P350 air purifier from Levoit is ideal for anyone who suffers from pet allergies or is conscious of pet odors. It uses a three-in-one combination filtration system that not only captures pet dander and hair, but features a specially designed pre-filter, a high-grade, revised active carbon filter, and an H13 True HEPA filter, which makes pet odors a thing of the past.
Its cylindrical shape and appealing design make it suitable for any room in the house. The controls are on the top of the unit and comprise fan speed, timer, display, and sleep mode buttons. It measures 14.2 inches high and weighs 7.5lbs.
To ensure the 360-degree air intake works efficiently, leave a gap of at least 15 inches around the unit. It comes with a one-year warranty and lifetime customer support.
Pros & Cons
- Neutralize Stinky Smells: Cute as they are, pets can smell sometimes. Now introducing Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter - the effective odor eliminator for pet odors, litter box smells, and cooking smoke.
- Perfect for Pet Parents: Experiencing coughing, congestion, or breathing difficulties caused by pets. Levoit Core P350 provides H13 True HEPA Filtration to reduce sneezing, itchiness, and stuffy nose by purifying the air you breathe.
- Cleaner House: Did you know an air purifier can help you spend less time cleaning. It's possible with P350. The fine Non-Woven Fabric Pre-Filter traps large floating particles such as pet fur, hair, dust, and lint, helping to reduce the amount of debris on your floor and furniture.
- Sleep Safe & Sound: Don't ever worry about your furry friend being disturbed by the air purifier - Sleep Mode turns display indicators to half-brightness and keeps noise levels as low as 24dB, so you can sleep while cuddling with your cute little one.
- Safety First: Unlike other air purifiers, the Core P350 doesn't use ions to purify the air, keeping your pets safe from harmful exposure to certain particles.
- Pet Lock: Let your children and pets play freely while the Pet Lock prevents them from changing the settings—it’s worry-free family time.
- Powerful, In Many Ways: Large house with a lot of pets. No problem—the Core P350 can purify a 219 ft² room in just 12 minutes.
- We’ve Got Your Back: Levoit is full of people who love their pets, just like you do. Based in California and always innovating, we create products that care for our customers and their homes.
- How to Find Replacement Filters: Search for B087R7ZFPB or Core P350-RF to find the official Levoit True HEPA 3-Stage Pet Allergy Filter. Levoit replacement filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier.
The Winix HR900 pet air purifier provides superior air filtration for pet owners. With high-efficiency, deodorized carbon filters, pet odors are trapped within the five-stage filtration system. This consists of an Ultimate Pet Filter, a Washable Pre-Filter, an Advanced Odor Control (AOCTM) Carbon Filter, and a True HEPA Filter along with a combination of Smart Sensors and innovative technology. This air purifier will also remove pet hair, pet dander, and 99.97% of airborne particles, as small as 0.3 microns.
The HR900 boasts advanced, triple-action air quality sensors that measure suspended particles and odors in the air, automatically adjusting the speed of the fan, and the LED air quality indicator lights change color accordingly. If the room is dark, the unit activates the sleep mode and changes back to Auto when a light is turned on. It measures 16.3 x 9.6 x 23.6 inches and weighs just under 19lbs.
Pros & Cons
- The next generation of the wildly popular Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet Air Purifier
- True HEPA filtration captures 99. 97percent of airborne pollutants, pet dander and allergens as small as 0. 3 microns
- Washable Advanced Odor Control (AOCTM) Carbon Filter captures pet odors as well as smoke, kitchen and other household odors. Also extends the life of the True HEPA filter.
- Ultimate pet pre-filter is the first line of defense against pet hair, dander, and large household particles
- Washable pre-filter extends the life of your filter by capturing pet hair and larger airborne particles
- Plasma wave technology Safely breaks apart odors, allergens, chemical vapors, and other pollutants at the molecular level
- AHAM Verified for 300 square feet capacity
- Material Type: Resin, Plastic
- Power Source Type: Corded Electric
3.Coway Airmega 400
The Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier has a dual, three-stage filtration system that can clean the air every 30 minutes in a 1,560 sq. ft. room, and every 15 minutes in a 780 sq. ft. room, removing 99.97% of contaminants from the air.
Air is drawn in on each side of the unit, where washable pre-filters and Max2 filters combine both activated carbon and True HEPA filters, removing airborne pollutants down to 0.3 microns as well as VOCs and pet odors.
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 1,560 sq. ft. in 30 minutes
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Dynamic combination of a washable pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and Green True HEPA Filter effectively reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles in the air, including pollen, pollutants, and other allergens; It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor
- [Smart Mode] With its Smart Mode feature, the Airmega automatically adapts to its surroundings by adjusting fan speeds based on the room's air quality; That means your unit is energy efficient without compromising effectiveness
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected
- [Sleep Mode] When the Airmega's built-in light and pollution sensors detect that the room has been dark and the air is clean for 3 minutes, Sleep Mode reduces the purifier's noise and power consumption
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced and the prefilters need to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed
- [Air Quality Indicator] 24/7 pollution monitor air quality throughout the day, adjusting purification to the necessary level and saving energy when it's not needed
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify for 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy
- [Warranty] 5-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Blueair Blue Pure 211+
The Blueair Blue Pure 211+ air purifier is designed for larger rooms and is perfect for pet owners who are concerned about any conspicuous pet odors. It has a “set it and forget it” one-button operation. When powered on, one touch of the control button puts it into Intuitive Auto mode, and the purifier adjusts the fan speed to remove the “bad air”, indicating the air quality with a single colored LED on the front.
It is capable of filtering the air in a 500 sq. ft. room five times per hour, removing large particles with its fabric pre-filter that traps dust, mold spores, and smoke with an electrostatic particle filter. It then finally eliminates household and pet odors with an activated carbon filter. The stylish cube design has a 360-degree air intake with clean air exiting from the top, allowing you to place it anywhere in your room. It is whisper-quiet when set on low speed, so you can position it next to your bed and still have a good night’s sleep.
Pros & Cons
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or up to 2592sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes over 99% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, bacteria and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 211+ has won Good Housekeeping – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Overall Air Purifier; Wirecutter Pick - The Best Air Purifier - 2019 - 2022
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
The Medify MA-40 combines style and technology to bring you an air purifier powerful enough to clean a room up to 840 sq. ft. in 30 minutes, and 420 sq. ft. in 15 minutes. Its three-stage, one-piece filtration system, located at the rear of the unit, has a pre-filter, an H13 HEPA filter to remove 99.9% of unseen particles, and a carbon filter containing carbon pellets for pet odor and smoke removal.
An elegant, tempered glass panel incorporating the easy-to-use touch controls is located on the top of the unit. There’s an ON/OFF button, timer, fan speed, ionizer, and a very useful child lock button.
Pros & Cons
- MAINTAIN YOUR UNIT: Use ONLY genuine MA-40 replacement filters (B07MTQFFNT) to ensure your MA-40 air purifier operates as it should, keeping the air inside your home, apartment, school, or office clean.
- EASY TO CHANGE: The lightweight design makes the process of replacing filters a breeze, so you and your family can maintain healthy and pure air in every room. A fresh filter will help remove irritants and neutralize odors.
- HEPA H13 FILTRATION: Trusted to remove 99.9% of harmful particles including allergens, odors, VOCs, smoke, pollen, pet dander, dust, smog, contaminants, and more down to 0.1 microns in size. Captures finer particles than HEPA H11 (0.3 microns).
- 3 STAGES: Multi-stage filtration; pre-filter traps large pollutants, HEPA H13 for fine particles, and active carbon to remove odors. Perfect for smokers, pet owners, allergies, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and cooking smells.
- LONGER LIFETIME: Each easy-to-replace filter set lasts 4-5 months or 3,000 hours, whichever comes first. Only 2-3 filter changes per year means lower maintenance and more cost savings.
6.Alen FLEX Air Purifier
The Alen Air BreatheSmart FIT50 is a compact workhorse capable of cleaning a 900 sq. ft. space twice an hour. Not only does it remove dust, pollen, pet dander, allergens, and normal household odors, but it also eradicates strong pet odors from litter boxes and the odd pet “accident”.
The secret to its odor-eliminating power is the True HEPA-Odorcell filter, which contains proprietary odor-reducing properties that captures any strong pet odor at its molecular level, combined with a H13 True HEPA layer to remove the other “nasties” in the air.
Pros & Cons
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, dander, allergens, pet fur, and odors. Sleek design fits in any space from small to large rooms.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Standard filter that helps eliminate asthma and allergy triggers. All FLEX filters include an antimicrobial compound which help eliminate germs, bacteria, mold, and fungi.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that removes 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
- CLEANS AIR FAST: Cleans 700 SqFt every 30 minutes, twice as fast as key competitors on Turbo speed. Sleek design fits in any space from small to extra large bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries, kitchens, and basements.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
Best Air Purifier for Pet Odors – As much as we love our furry friends, there’s no denying that pets can pong from time to time.
Whether you’re a cat, dog, hamster, or even a fish household, having a pet in your home will inevitably contribute some unpleasant smells over time.