Best Air Purifier for Pollution – If you live or work near a busy road or highway, there are many things that can, unfortunately, disrupt your peace and tranquility. It isn’t just the roar of engines or the wail of sirens that can cause a problem, but also the quality of the air you breathe.
Traffic pollution is a serious issue that may affect your health in more ways than one. It’s not just the air in your home that’s affected by traffic pollution. Many of us spend hours each day commuting by car, by public transport, and by walking, exposing us to those harmful toxins produced by traffic.
Although the Winix HR900 touts itself as a robust air purifier for pet owners, it’s just as useful to combat air pollution. This purifier features a fantastic 5-stage filtration process. There’s an ultimate pet pre-filter and a washable fine mesh pre-filter to handle any visible and larger particles. When it comes to taking on the airborne pollutants, the activated carbon filter reduces VOCs and smoke, while the True HEPA filter works on capturing 99.97% of small airborne allergens.
Meanwhile, the PlasmaWave Air Cleaning technology works to break apart pollutants like odors and chemical vapors at their molecular level. The LED lights will change color to alert you to any changes in the air quality, and you can set it on auto mode so that fan speeds adjust based on the sensor alerts.
Pros & Cons
- The next generation of the wildly popular Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet Air Purifier
- True HEPA filtration captures 99. 97percent of airborne pollutants, pet dander and allergens as small as 0. 3 microns
- Washable Advanced Odor Control (AOCTM) Carbon Filter captures pet odors as well as smoke, kitchen and other household odors. Also extends the life of the True HEPA filter.
- Ultimate pet pre-filter is the first line of defense against pet hair, dander, and large household particles
- Washable pre-filter extends the life of your filter by capturing pet hair and larger airborne particles
- Plasma wave technology Safely breaks apart odors, allergens, chemical vapors, and other pollutants at the molecular level
- AHAM Verified for 300 square feet capacity
- Material Type: Resin, Plastic
- Power Source Type: Corded Electric
2.Dyson Pure Cool
The Dyson Pure Cool TP01 lets you take on air pollution in style. This air purifier provides smooth airflow delivery thanks to its efficient design, and it is multi-functional as it serves as both a purifier and a tower fan. In fact, there are numerous ways you can customize the unit to make it truly your own. The purifier has 10 different fan speeds so it can go as fast or slow as you need it to. It also features a sleep timer, and for safety, it’ll automatically shut off if tipped over.
The purifier contains a HEPA filter to capture particles as small as 0.3 microns such as pollen and mold spores. This unit also comes equipped with another layer of filtration in the form of an activated carbon filter, which makes short work of harmful VOCs. The unit has even received a rating as allergy and asthma-friendly for its effectiveness.
Pros & Cons
- Captures: HEPA filter captures 99.97 0.3 microns particles including dust and pet dander
- Dyson technology helps create a healthier home
- Projects: Projects refreshed air throughout the whole room. Air Multiplier technology delivers over 77 gallons per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow.
- Multi-functionality: Tower fan and HEPA air refresher in one.
- Other features: Sleep timer, oscillation, 10 air speed settings and automatic shut-off if tipped over
- Second layer in filter contains activated carbon to capture household odors and volatile organic compounds like paint fumes
3.LEVOIT Air Purifier
The Levoit LV-H134 is a wide range air purifier that sports an ergonomic design and multiple features on its sleek touch control panel. It has a check filter indicator, timer function, numerous fan speeds, as well as an auto mode and a sleep mode. You can even turn the display off for uninterrupted sleep at night.
For cleaning that pesky pollution from the air, there’s the H13 True HEPA filter that captures particles as small as 0.3 microns. There’s also the high-efficiency activated carbon filter to neutralize fumes and VOCs. To keep the filters performing the best they can, the air purifier has its first line of defense in the form of a nylon pre-filter.
Pros & Cons
- OZONE FREE: Use your purifier with peace of mind. This Levoit air purifier is 100% ozone free and does not use UV-C light or anion purification methods that can cause harm to the user
- PROFESSIONAL AIR CARE: The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and Activated Carbon Filter to target dust, pollen, pet dander, VOC's, tobacco smoke, household odors from pets, cooking, and other allergies. Better than H11 HEPA, H13 HEPA filters 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size
- EXTRA-LARGE CLEANING AREA: The LV-H134 purifies air in 2340 ft² rooms in one hour, and 1170 ft² rooms in 30 minutes (CADR 530), making it perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, apartments, offices, kitchens, basements and playrooms. The wheeled design helps to bring fresh air to every room of your home
- POWERFUL DESIGN: Enjoy the fresh air on all sides with help from the air purifier's tower structure and 360° air circulation for quick, efficient filtration
- UNDISTURBED REST: Sleep soundly by turning off the display light, setting a timer for up to 12 hours, and selecting Sleep Mode for noise levels as low as 23dB
- CLARITY AND CONFIDENCE: The Auto Mode uses a Laser Dust Sensor to measure the surrounding air and automatically adjust the fan speed in real-time. You can easily view the PM2.5 value on the display, which shows the amount of detected particles within 1 cubic meter
- SLEEK AND STYLSIH: The minimalist tower design and streamlined, intuitive controls make the air purifier a seamless, elegant addition to any space
- NOTE: Genuine Levoit replacement filter for LV-H134 is back in stock. Please search for B07DVYFBNY for purchase
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.MOOKA Air Purifier
The Mooka GL-FS32 is a versatile air purifier designed to quickly reduce any health risks caused by air pollution. The purifier features a HEPA filter that removes over 99.97% of airborne pollutants. The unit also has an activated carbon and VOC absorber to handle smoke and odors. To further capture harmful particles, the purifier also has a UV sterilizer and a negative ion generator.
Additional features make the unit simple to use. It has a built-in timer that covers 1 to 8 hours, and a preconfigured sleep mode function. Also, you can turn the nightlight off if you want to use it completely in the dark at night. There’s even a sensor with auto mode so it can adjust as it sees fit.
Pros & Cons
- MOOKA B-D02L AIR PURIFIER FOR LARGE ROOM - With the high-efficiency filtration system, the air purifier covers an area up to 860ft²(80m²). 6 air changes per hour in 215ft², 1 air changes per hour in 860ft². Modern design fits in any space from small to large rooms, bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries, kitchens and basements. Perfect for pet owners, allergics, babies, children, the elderly, or anyone wanting to improve the air quality.
- H13 TRUE HEPA AIR PURIFIER – The pre-filter, H13 true HEPA filter and high-efficiency activated carbon filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odor, and large dust particles, in addition to removing all airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. Powerful efficient Air filter cleaner prevents respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and asthma.
- ULTRA-QUIET, ENERGY-SAVING & SAFE - Thanks to the new brushless motor, the 20dB noise level is almost voiceless. It cleans your air, doesn't affect your work, study or sleep. Running in low power makes it extremely energy-saving. Child lock prevents error operations caused by pets or children. The replacement filter should be replaced every 3-6 months depending on the environment and usage frequency (Search for B08PK4WM4W).
- 4 TIMER SETTINGS, 4 FAN MODES, AND NIGHT LIGHT – 4 timer options (1H/2H/4H/8H) allow you set the air purifier operating time. Adjust the required fan speed mode (Sleep/Low/Med/High) to capture as much air pollutants as required. Soft night light, that prevents falls, can be turned off to enjoy the perfect dreaming. Press the top power button for 3 seconds to turn ON/OFF the night light when the machine is running.
- WORRY-FREE FOR LONG USE - We love our customers and take pride in providing a pleasant shopping experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Note:1.The power adapter is placed with the filter, please open the bottom base cover to find it.2.Please remove the new filter plastic bag before running the air purifier.
5.Blueair Blue Pure 411
The Blueair Blue Pure 411 features a quality combination filter. This is comprised of an activated carbon layer that works on capturing odors and chemicals, while the HEPASilent technology can trap particles as small as 0.1 microns, removing up to 99.97% of them. The particle filter removes all that dust, pollen, as well as viruses, while the fabric pre-filter takes care of the larger particles.
What sets this unit apart is that the fabric pre-filter is washable and customizable. There are different colors available, sold separately, so that you can set this purifier up to better match your home décor. It’s a perfectly-sized unit to place in small rooms, and with the fabric pre-filter, it won’t stand out much at all.
Pros & Cons
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 190sqft small room in about 12.5 min or up to 912sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- CERTIFIED QUIETEST AIR PURIFIER: Quiet Mark approved - quieter (18 dB) than a whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (2W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA plus ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 411 Auto has won Good Housekeeping Lab Pick – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Value Air Purifier
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
6.Coway Airmega 400
The Coway Airmega 400 can filter the air in larger rooms with ease thanks to its dual function suction design. With the Max2 filter, it can quickly eliminate harmful particles present in any air pollution. This filter is a combination of an activated carbon filter and a True HEPA filter. The carbon filter helps handle the likes of VOCs, odors, smoke, and more. Meanwhile, the HEPA filter can capture things like fine dust and mold spores.
It has real-time air quality monitoring that cycles through 4 different LED colors to indicate the current condition of the air around it. The smart technology will adjust the fan accordingly until the air is clean again, saving you on energy as well as time, as you don’t have to hover over the unit when in this mode.
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 1,560 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens; It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Smart Mode] With its Smart Mode feature, the Airmega automatically adapts to its surroundings by adjusting fan speeds based on the room's air quality; That means your unit is energy efficient without compromising effectiveness.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [Sleep Mode] When the Airmega's built-in light and pollution sensors detect that the room has been dark and the air clean for 3 minutes, Sleep Mode reduces the purifier's noise and power consumption.
- [Air Quality Indicator] 24/7 pollution monitor air quality throughout the day, adjusting purification to the necessary level and saving energy when it's not needed.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced and the prefilters need to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify for 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 5-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
This Honeywell is rated for rooms up to 500 square feet, which is on par with the other large-room air purifiers we tested. It’s also very lightweight. Compared to the Blueair HealthProtect 7410i and Dyson Pure Hot+Cool, it was much easier to pick up by its built-in handle and move around. It’s not lacking any parts, either. Inside it packs two HEPA-grade filters and an activated carbon prefilter for trapping volatile organic compounds such as cooking odors.
When air quality dipped inside my apartment, the Insight quickly ramped up its fan and sucked up the odors or invisible particulates. For under $300, you get a strong-performing purifier with an automatic set-it-and-forget-it mode, and unlike many bigger models, you can easily carry it from room to room when needed.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Best Air Purifier for Pollution – The good news is that investing in an air purifier can reduce the likelihood of both you and your family suffering from these unfortunate conditions. Many units are also portable which means you can take them with you to work or on vacation trips. Effective purifiers successfully capture harmful airborne particles and eliminate gases and odors. This allows everyone to breathe the freshest and highest quality air.
Before you invest in a purifier, it’s helpful to think about your budget and room size. The CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of a system lets you know how much square footage it will clean per hour.