Best Air Purifier for Small Bedroom – According to the EPA, we spend up to 90% of our time indoors (alongside the 2x to 5x more polluted air than outdoors). At least 8 hours per day is spent in the bedroom (if we’re lucky). That’s why bedroom air purifiers are the ones most people want to get.
All air purifiers can be placed in the bedroom, but not all air purifiers are best equipped to be bedroom air cleaners.
1.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
After a sixth round of testing, encompassing 47 different air purifiers and more than 200 hours of lab and real-world trials, the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty remains our pick as the best air purifier for most people. It has kept its place for so long for many reasons. In raw performance, it stands among the best purifiers we’ve ever tested, achieving as much as 99.1% removal of airborne particulates in just 30 minutes in our latest test—and that was on year-old filters. It has maintained its high performance for years:
We’ve tested the same machine four times starting in 2017, and it has always delivered similar results. The Coway Mighty is also unusually easy to live with, as it’s quiet and compact, and its display can go dark at night, making it a good fit for master bedrooms, playrooms, and living rooms or dens. Finally, it’s easily the most affordable purifier of its capabilities we’ve ever found: Adding up the purchase price, the costs of 24/7 operation on medium, and the costs of annual filter changes, you’re looking at about $470 over five years. (Or less: We calculate electricity costs at New York’s rates, which are 50% above the national average.)
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
The Winix 5500-2 is a direct competitor to the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty, as it has a nearly identical clean air delivery rate (CADR) and offers 5.1 air changes per hour (ACH) in a 350-square-foot space. Most important, it performed just as well as the Mighty in our testing. In fact, it did a bit better: In our October 2020 test, on brand-new filters, it removed 99.9% of 0.3-micron smoke particles when set on high. On medium, it removed an impressive 97.3%.
The Mighty, on year-old filters, removed 99.6% and 89.2%, respectively—in line with all our past test results, on new or old filters. Currently the 5500-2 is also cheaper than the Mighty. It’s not our top pick for several reasons: It’s larger and (to most eyes) not as attractive, it lacks a display-shutoff feature except when it’s on its lowest fan setting, and it draws more electricity, contributing to slightly higher running costs. But simply put, the Winix 5500-2 is an impressive purifier.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
3.Blueair Blue Pure 311
The Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto is another stellar purifier. It’s from the same company that makes our large-space pick and uses the same technology, combining a non-HEPA (but very efficient) filter with a system that imparts an electrical charge to any particles that pass through, helping them stick to the filter the next time around—essentially through static cling.
On high, it reduced a heavy load of 0.3-micron smoke particles by 99.9% in 30 minutes; on medium, it reduced them by 94.2%. Both results indicate that it’s a highly efficient purifier, in the same league as the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty and our Winix picks. In a 350-square-foot room, it can deliver 5.3 air changes per hour (ACH) based on its CADR measurements, nearly identical to the results from the Coway Mighty and slightly more than what the Winix models can achieve.
Pros & Cons
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 388sqft medium room in about 12.5 min or up to 1862qft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIETEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (23 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (3W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA & ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 311 Auto has won Wirecutter Pick – The Best Air Purifier 2021, 2020, 2019; The Spruce Recommends – Top Pick
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.LEVOIT Air Purifiers
A compact purifier similar in performance to the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty and our other also-great picks, the Levoit Core 400S adds voice control via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, along with remote manual control through an app.
Although most people are likely to be well served by purely manual or basic automatic purifiers (those that have a built-in air-quality sensor and adjust to changing conditions), if you are an avid smart-home proponent, or if mobility, dexterity, vision, or other issues make it difficult for you to adjust appliances, the Core 400S is a highly capable and relatively affordable option.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen,dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOCs
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air quality has improved
- HANDS-FREE VOICE COMMAND: Hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant allows you to control settings when your hands are full with cooking, caring for babies and children, or playing with pets
- SCHEDULE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR ROUTINE: Program the air purifier to use different modes and fan speeds at certain times, so you can have your week planned in advance. With scheduling, you never have to worry about forgetting to change your settings
- TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE: The Core 400S is Energy Star and FCC certified, ETL listed, and a recipient of the German Design Award (2021) and iF Design Award (2021). Only use Levoit replacement filters (search B08SQQK6K7) for best results and product performance
5.Alen 45i Air Purifier
Alen BreatheSmart is the only dedicated series of air purifiers, specialized to be used in bedrooms. It’s made by Alen, one of the most reputable companies in the air purification industry. The 45i model is the best BreatheSmart unit and it’s easy to see which is the best bedroom air purifier.
Specs-wise it’s obvious that if you would set your engineers to design air purifiers specifically for bedrooms, they would come up with a silent, 200+ CADR rated, HEPA filter air purifier for a standard-sized bedroom. Alen BreatheSmart 45i is all that.
Pros & Cons
- REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER: For BreatheSmart Flex & 45i Air Purifiers ONLY. Find your model number on the top panel below the power button to ensure you get the right HEPA filter. It purifies 800sqft every 30 minutes and is helpful for 9-12 months.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Ideal for medium, large, and extra-large spaces, including living rooms, bedrooms, nurseries, laundry rooms, bathrooms, offices, kitchens, basements, and more! It traps allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, mildew, and aerosolized viruses.
- MEDICAL-GRADE PROTECTION: 3-Stage H13 True HEPA filtration captures 99.99% of particles as small as 0.1 microns. HEPA air filtration is the third of five stages where the air filter traps viruses, bacteria, mold spores, and smoke with activated carbon.
- 5 AIR QUALITY COLORS: A Laser Smart Sensor detects airborne particles and auto-displays the current air quality. Blue = Excellent, Green = Good, Orange = Fair, Red = Poor, Purple = Bad air quality (high particle levels).
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
6.HATHASPACE Air Purifier
Hathaspace HSP001 has an extensive 5-stage filtration. In addition to the basic 3-stage filtration (pre-filter, activated carbon, and HEPA filter), the Hathaspace HSP001 has a secondary pre-filter as well as a cold catalyst filter for the last stage filtration.
A secondary pre-filter is especially useful if you have pets. Cats and dogs will leave pet dander, fluff, and all kid of hair all over the bedroom. Pre-filters are designed to catch these larger airborne particles. You can read an in-depth review of Hathaspace air purifiers here.
Pros & Cons
- Purify your air – Our 5-in-1 filter system targets pollen, dust, pet dander, VOC’s, smoke, and odors. Our H11 HEPA filter captures 99.9% of particles down to 0.3 microns.
- What you get – Smart air purifier, True HEPA filter set, remote control, manual, 2-year warranty, award-winning customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted American brand.
- Remove odors, smoke, & VOC’s – Both an air cleaner and odor eliminator, our air purifier features a unique honeycomb activated-carbon filter that absorbs odors, smoke, and VOC’s. With a state-of-the-art fan and motor, enjoy clean air delivered quietly and efficiently in your home, bedroom, office, kitchen, basement, dorm, apartment, or living room.
- Breathe easier – Nothing feels better than breathing clean air. Read our 10,000+ reviews and see just how much our air purifier can assist and support the body’s natural response during allergy season.
- Smart air purifier – In AUTO mode, a smart air quality sensor detects pollutants in your air, adjusting the fan speed in real-time. A digital display on the unit reveals your air quality level, so you always know what you’re breathing.
Best Air Purifier for Small Bedroom – We will cover the 5 best air purifiers for beds, based on these criteria, and with the respect to the specification such as coverage area, CADR rating, airflow, and filtration system. All of them filter out the most common bedroom air pollutant: Fine dust, and other allergens.
Before we look at all of them, a word about the Alen BreatheSmart series. BreatheSmart is the only air purifier series with validated dependent ScoreSleep Lab studies. In essence, all Alen BreatheSmart air purifiers were specifically designed (and tested) to improve the quality of sleep.