Best Air Purifier for Smoke – Air purifiers are devices designed to remove potentially harmful particles from indoor spaces. If you’re concerned about smoke in your home or workspace, then you may consider looking for an air purifier made specifically to trap smoke from tobacco products or fires.
Overall, the best air purifiers for smoke have multiple types of filters to trap small particles and gasses. Depending on your needs and budget, you may consider a portable air purifier for a room or a larger device for an entire home.
1.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
Small size, but mighty in power! The Conway Airmega comes with a four-stage filtration air purifier that combines a pre-filter, odorization filter, a true HEPA filter, and a bipolar device that reduces contaminants in the air… including smoke from cigarettes.
The key features of this unit:
Can generate & maintain pure air in rooms up to 361 sq ft (size of a typical bedroom) , 3 fan speed air flow control
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
2.Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
True HEPA Air Purifier: Our air purifier utilizes an authentic HEPA H13 to significantly improve indoor air quality by filtering out dust, pet dander, smoke, cooking odors and more. Perfect for kitchens, home offices, living rooms, kids’ play rooms and many other small to medium-sized spaces. It’s the real deal.
Powerful 3-Stage Filtration and Long Lasting Filter: Includes a pre-filter, HEPA and activated carbon filter to effectively remove 99.97% of the smallest particles in the air. Each filter lasts up to 2100 hours on low to medium fan mode (that’s about 87 days, or 3 months – nice!) Important: The included filter, located inside the appliance, ships with a protective plastic sleeve. Please remove the plastic sleeve from the filter before use.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA Air Purifier: Our air purifier utilizes an authentic HEPA H13 to significantly improve indoor air quality by filtering out pet dander, smoke, cooking odors and more. Perfect for kitchens, home offices, living rooms, kids’ play rooms and many other small to medium-sized spaces. It’s the real deal.
- Powerful 3-Stage Filtration and Long Lasting Filter: Includes a pre-filter, HEPA and activated carbon filter to effectively remove 99.97% of the smallest particles in the air. Each filter lasts up to 2100 hours on low to medium fan mode (that’s about 87 days, or 3 months - nice!) Important: The included filter, located inside the appliance, ships with a protective plastic sleeve. Please remove the plastic sleeve from the filter before use.
- Compactly Engineered and Looks Cool: At just 12.8 inches in height and 7.8 inches in diameter, our powerful purifier is portable enough to take anywhere, and move easily from room to room. And its modern design makes it an attractive addition to every home. Pro Tip: To purify air in larger spaces with this model, simply use the high speed fan mode (and get an extra filter or two 🙂
- A Quietly Awesome Sleeping Companion: The low speed fan setting operates at a reduced noise level to make this air purifier ideal for bedrooms, so you can breathe easy and sleep peacefully. Our purifier also includes a handy night light feature with adjustable brightness options, as well as a child lock function for baby nurseries and kids’ rooms.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Blueair Classic 680i
When it comes to filtering smoke out of the air, the higher the CADR rating, the more effective the filtration, or efforts to remove particles from the air. If you’re looking for an air purifier with a high CADR rating, consider opting for the Blueair Classic 680i.
This model works in rooms up to 700 square feet and has a 450 CADR rating. You can even control the device on your phone via the Blueair Friend app.
Pros & Cons
- Product 1: HEPASilent technology leverages electrostatic charge and mechanical filtration to deliver true HEPA performance capturing 99.97% of airborne pollutants including dust, mold, pet dander, and pollen for relief from allergies and asthma
- Product 1: Dual protection filters with activated coconut carbon, naturally remove gaseous pollutants and smoke without the need for chemical additives
- Product 1: Air quality sensors monitor air quality in real time and adjust fan speed accordingly when set to auto mode
- Product 1: Wi-Fi enabled for control through the Blueair friend app and Alexa compatible
- Product 2: Advanced Swedish Design: Swedish Filter Technology Captures 99% of Airborne Pollutants Like Viruses, Pollen, Dust, Pet Dander, Mold, Bacteria and More
- Product 2: Eliminates odors. Activated carbon filter reduces gases, VOCs, and annoying odors from pets, smoking, cooking, wildfires and more
- Product 2: Colorful. Includes machine washable fabric pre-filters in diva blue and dark shadow. Leave the mesh filter housing exposed for a Scandinavian look
- Product 2: Quiet. No louder than a whisper on the lowest speed (31 decibel.) and equivalent to the noise level of rainfall on the highest setting (56 decibel.)
5.Bissell Smart Purifier
With a 4.7-average star rating on Amazon, this air purifier contains both high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) and carbon filters to capture smoke, allergens, and odors. It also has a quiet motor, which may be ideal for bedrooms and workspaces.
While this air purifier can be used in rooms up to 266 square feet, it has a lower smoke CADR rating of 172. Some users complain of the noise and a temporary plastic-like smell after purchase.
Pros & Cons
- 3-Stage Filtration for Simply Clean Air. Includes a pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and an H13 HEPA filter to capture large and fine particles, home odors, odors from pet, and VOCs.
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter. Captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and smaller when on lowest fan speed, helping to remove airborne allergens and irritants like dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke like that from wildfires, cooking, and smoking.
- Honeycomb-Structured Carbon Filter. Filter contains thousands of activated carbon pellets engineered to capture gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors including odors from pets, cooking and smoke.
- Large Room Coverage and AHAM Certified. Filters 1252 sq. ft. with 1 air change/hour. Filters 626 sq. ft. with 2 air changes/hour. Filters 417 sq. ft. with 3 air changes/hour. Filters rooms 258 sq. ft. providing 4.8 air changes/hour.
- Low Energy and Library Quiet. Energy Star rated and equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is as quiet as a library.
- Automated CirQulate System. VOC sensor monitors and provides colored-coded, indoor air quality feedback and adjusts to the appropriate fan speed for continuous clean air.
- Whisper Quiet Sound Level. Equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is whisper quiet. Perfect for bedrooms and contributes to a peaceful sleeping environment.
- Optimized Airflow. Powerful XL fan draws air in through the front of the air purifier and through 3 filters, releasing clean air through the top of the machine.
- Easy Filter Maintenance. Filter change indicator will inform you when it’s time for new filters. Filters should be replaced approximately every 6 months. Only use genuine BISSELL Replacement Filters to ensure excellent performance. Search AMAZON ASIN: B09BP4FW9F.
6.Alen 75i Air Purifier
HEPA and activated carbon filters work together to trap particles and gasses contained in smoke — this is also sometimes referred to as hybrid filtration. One highly rated example of this in action is the Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier 2.0.
This air purifier is made for large spaces up to 1,500 square feet. Note that while this air purifier has a higher price tag than some on the market, it comes with more features, such as a touchscreen and easy-to-read air quality scores. It’s also CARB and Energy Star certified.
Pros & Cons
- B7 PURE FILTER: Alen's Pure HEPA filter eliminates airborne allergens, dust, pollen, dust mites, dander, pet air, mold, and more. The fine mesh of an air purifier filter catches potentially harmful airborne particles.
- VERSATILE & QUIET: The Alen BreatheSmart 75i's are perfect air purifiers for the bedroom and living room. Our cleaners are dust removers for lofts, flats, workplaces, kitchens, basements, and big open-concept spaces. It is our most versatile and powerful large room air purifier that can clean a 1300 SqFt every 30 minutes. It is powerful, tranquil, and perfectly tuned to generate soothing pink noise.
- SMART SENSOR FEATURE: Using our air purifier, you can see your air quality at a glance, thanks to the LED color display. The AUTO mode is designed to run constantly. It is controlled by Smart Sensors, which detect air, dust, or pollutants and automatically speed up or slow down the fan to filter the air and change the quality.
- MEDICAL GRADE PROTECTION: This air cleaner has a medical-grade 3-Stage H13 Pure HEPA filtration that captures 99.99% of particles as small as 0.1 microns. HEPA air filtration is the third of the five stages. With the Pure HEPA filter, you'll get up to 12 months of pure air production.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
7.LEVOIT Air Purifier
We love this purifier’s very impressive three-stage filtration system, which can rid the air of heavy smoke and nasty odors in rooms up to 900 square feet in just an hour.
If you really want to make sure that the air in your room is clean, turn on the “Smart Auto” feature, which will not only allow the purifier to evaluate the air quality of the room, but change its fan speed to fit the situation. The device’s nifty sleep mode helps create a peaceful, soothing environment while keeping the air free of harmful particles.
Pros & Cons
- NEUTRALIZE SMOKE&ODORS: The rapid clean air delivery rate and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter work together to quickly neutralize airborne pollutants in your home, adsorbing pet smells, cigarette smoke, and VOCs
- IDEAL FOR ALLERGIES: The H13 True HEPA Filter is superior to H11, capturing at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, including dust, pollen, pet dander and smoke particles; This helps relieve allergy symptoms like sneezing, congestion, and difficulty breathing
- SLEEP ALL NIGHT: The air purifier filters the air with noise levels as low as 27dB, helping you sleep deeply with a restful and soothing indoor environment; The LED Display can be turned off so it won’t keep you awake at night
- MAXIMUM PURIFICATION: Recommended for large rooms; Completely filters air in large living rooms, family rooms & playrooms about every 30 minutes (2 times an hour at 720 square feet) on high
Best Air Purifier for Smoke – As we all know, tobacco smoke is a serious problem and although they can’t eliminate the risk, air purifiers offer you an effective way of lowering the potential risk to your family, especially if you buy the appropriate model.
To reiterate the danger of smoke particles in your home it is worth considering in a little more detail some of the facts.