Best Air Purifier for Studio Apartment – Apartments suffer from many of the same air quality problems as a house, but they also offer some unique challenges. Small size and poor layout can make it difficult to properly ventilate an apartment. Worse, you have no control over what your neighbors do, so their cigarette smoke or moldy bathroom could affect the air quality inside your apartment.
You have to depend on your landlord for other aspects of air quality, putting them outside your control. One way you can control the air quality in your apartment is by using an air purifier. An apartment air purifier can remove pollutants from the air when you are not able to control the source of the pollutants.
If you need to purify the air in a large room, this is the way to go. With a maximum purification capacity of 1250 square feet, the Levoit HV-H134 provides massive purification potential at a reasonable price .
Even at the maximum square footage, this purifier will still clean all of the air in the room TWICE in one hour. And it’s not some ungainly behemoth either: at fewer than two feet tall, you can tuck it in the closet with ease.
It has an activated charcoal filter working alongside it’s HEPA filter to ensure maximum cleanliness. You can even connect it to your Smart Home system to operate it with voice commands!
Pros & Cons
- DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA: The UV-C Light that other brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children, Asthma sufferers and pets. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- ADVANCED 3-STAGE FILTRATION SYSTEM: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in addition to removing 99. 97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0. 3 microns
- GENUINE REPLACEMENT FILTERS: Search for B06XD7X81D for Replacement filter. Use genuine Levoit replacement filters to maintain the best performance and to ensure what you're buying is worthy of your investment
- ADJUSTABLE SPEEDS WITH SILENCE: Three speed settings (low, medium, high) to meet different air quality and personal needs. Purify the air with only 25 dB on low level, suitable for restful environment and sleep time
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY AIR PURIFIER: Circulates room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make the Levoit air purifier suitable for small or medium-sized rooms, like offices and dorms
- SMART FILTER CHANGE REMINDER: Built-in Replacement Indicator reminds you when you need to replace your filter. It is recommended to replace your filter every 6-8 months depending on the use and air quality
- NIGHT LIGHT: Choose between two brightness settings at night to help you see in the evening or turn the light off entirely to create your ideal sleep environment. Note: Power Supply: AC 120V/60Hz (Only applies to the USA and Canada.)
I know, I know, this one’s pricier. This is not a budget option like the Germ Guardian is. This is a more premium choice for those who need more space purified as effectively as possible – without the noise pollution of some other purifiers.
Yes, the price is high, but for that money, you essentially get an absolutely gorgeous home decor item that happens to also be an air filter. Seriously, look at it. It’s beautiful. It looks like modern art, but it cleans your air. It can even be mounted on your wall, literally just like a painting. Fantastic.
It’s also ultra quiet. That means you and your guest can stare at its beauty up close without having to raise your voices to hear each other.
Pros & Cons
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Germ Defense customized filter: Effectively traps and reduces airborne bacteria, mold spores and particles that carry viruses.
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 700 sq. ft.
3.IQAir Klaus Air Purifier
It’s called the Klaus Series, and it looks just as elegant as it sounds. Starting at $2,500, this purifier is certainly reserved for those with a large, money-shaped blob burning a whole in their pocket.
It comes with all of the best tech – HyperHEPA filter, Odor Elimination, yadda yadda yadda. More importantly, all that powerful technology comes wrapped in some of the most beautiful wood working I’ve ever seen – and I’ve seen a LOT of woodworking… Ok, fine, I’ve seen SOME woodworking, but I really think this thing is beautiful. It’s designed and crafted by Jim Ipekjian out of Pasadena, a literal artist who’s done some incredible work.
Pros & Cons
- Klaus Series Limited Edition units are hand-crafted with solid Pistachio wood paneling and accents
- Inside is the IQAir HealthPro Plus, which filters ultrafine particles to 0.003 microns
- America’s number one choice for asthma and allergy sufferers
- Patented HyperHEPA filtration traps particles 100 times smaller than 0.3 microns, much smaller than a virus - EPA Establishment # 97566-CHE-1
- Direct purchases from the manufacturer will require a signature to acknowledge receipt upon delivery. CARB EO # G-10-059
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
Another newer company, TruSens was launched in early 2019 with a line of purifiers, available in three sizes. Since then, it has won the Red Dot Award for Product Design, thanks to its unique construction. TruSens purifiers come with a SensorPod, which is placed across the room from the purifier and collects air quality readings in real time.
It communicates the data with the purifier, which then adjusts its output accordingly. It also features a four-stage filtration system, with a pre-filter, carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and UV filter for killing germs. (Note: Only the large size has a True HEPA filter.)
Pros & Cons
- REIMAGINE CLEAN AIR: The filter is at the core of purifying your air. Filter replacement is essential for your purifier to perform at its best.
- HEPA FILTER: The TruSens combination filter has been engineered to collect microscopic particles, allergens and volatile organic components (VOC’s), and odorous gases.
- REMOVES POLLUTANTS: TruSens HEPA Type filter removes pollutants as small as 0.3 microns – that’s roughly 30 times smaller than a strand of hair. Draws in the air from all directions, collecting pollutants such basic household odors and airborne allergens. Replace every 12 - 15 months (depending on usage).
- TRUSENS COMPATIBLE: Our simple, easy to use TruSens filters are designed for you and your lifestyle. The medium DuPont Standard HEPA Replacement Filter is only compatible with the Z-2000 TruSens Air Purifier.
The Honeywell purifier is proof that sometimes, simple is best. It’s not the most attractive option, but it’s seriously powerful and dependable—which is really all that matters, especially if you have allergies or asthma. With a CADR of 320 for dust and 300 for pollen, this is one of the more harder working purifiers out there. It consists of just a pre-filter and True HEPA filter, so it won’t help much with VOCs, but it will be effective when it comes to getting rid of allergens.
Projects Editor Megan Baker has used this purifier for years, both because of her allergies and because her downstairs neighbor smokes. “I got this when I was living in my first NYC apartment, which was—brace yourself—fully carpeted,” she says.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
6.Austin Air HealthMate
If you want something truly heavy duty, you can’t pass up Austin Air. The brand has been around for over 30 years and has even worked with FEMA, the American Red Cross, and hospitals nationwide to get clean air to those who need it most.
Their purifiers are on the very high end, but absolutely worth it if you have pre-existing health conditions or live in a place with bad pollution or that’s prone to wildfires. The HealthMate Plus is a great option for the home—it’s not too bulky and has wheels for easy transporting. It has a four-stage filtration system, with two pre-filters, an activated carbon filter, and a medical-grade True HEPA filter for superior cleaning.
Pros & Cons
- The Austin Air Healthmate is the best choice for people looking for everyday protection from indoor air pollutants.
- Highly efficient at removing a wide range of indoor air pollutants such as dust, pet dander, pollen and gases from the home.
- Over 780 cubic inches of activated carbon and zeolite filtration removes chemicals, gases and odors
- The Austin Air Healthmate reduces coughing, wheezing and sneezing. Reduces dry mouth and runny nose. Reduces snoring and helps you sleep better. Strengthens the immune system.
Best Air Purifier for Studio Apartment – One consideration when choosing an air purifier for an apartment is the size of the apartment. It can be difficult to determine which air purifiers are able to handle different volumes of space. The only available guideline is the air purifier’s CADR number.
CADR stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate, and it roughly translates to the amount of air the purifier can purify. (It is actually more complicated than that, but the intricacies of CADR are beyond the scope of this article).