Best Air Purifier for Vocs – As we all spend more and more time indoors, one thing we desperately miss is that fresh air feeling. Our homes and workplaces can often become stuffy, stale, and smelly, which is not an ideal environment to spend most of our time in.
Not only that, there are some lingering household products that can actually cause us harm. Everyday items such as certain paints, varnishes, disinfectants, air fresheners, printers and permanent markers contain something called VOCs.
The Winix 5500-2 is the best air purifier for VOCs and can eliminate particles in the air and all without disturbing your sleep at night. To start, it features a washable AOC carbon filter that’s made from activated carbon granules that work on removing household odors. Meanwhile, the PlasmaWave technology goes to work at breaking down those harmful chemical vapors and allergens. To make for a well-rounded machine, this product even has a True HEPA filter to capture 99.97% of airborne pollutants.
You don’t have to guess if your air needs correcting either thanks to the air quality indicator near the control panel on the unit. This product features LED lighting with three colors, and it works in real-time to show you when the air is good, fair, or poor. Additionally, the dual smart sensors adjust the fan speed accordingly.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
2.HATHASPACE Air Purifier
The Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier 2.0 features medical-grade quality equipment. This 5-in-1 unit features the H13 HEPA filter that can filter out more than 99% of particles down to 0.1 microns. The pre-filter and the polypropylene pre-filter keep the surface area of the H13 preserved so that it functions as best as it can. Meanwhile, the activated carbon filter and the cold catalyst filter place their focus on targeting odors, gases, harmful chemicals, and VOCs.
No guesswork is required when using this quality unit either. There is air quality sensor technology that offers real-time monitoring and adjustments as it sees fit. You can check it by looking at the simple light panel on the front of the unit that changes colors based on the pollutants in the air. All that’s needed is to set the unit to auto mode so it can change the fan to adapt better to different qualities of air.
Pros & Cons
- Purify your air – Our 5-in-1 filter system targets pollen, dust, pet dander, VOC’s, smoke, and odors. Superior to standard true H11 HEPA filters, H13 HEPA filters 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns and 99.95% of particles between 0.3 – 0.1 microns.
- What you get – Large smart air purifier, H13 True HEPA composite filter, washable filter, manual, 5-year warranty, award-winning customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted American brand.
- Remove odors, smoke, & VOC’s – Both an air cleaner and odor eliminator, our air purifier features a unique honeycomb activated-carbon filter that absorbs odors, smoke, and VOC’s. With a state-of-the-art fan and motor, enjoy clean air delivered quietly and efficiently in your home, bedroom, office, kitchen, basement, dorm, apartment, or living room.
- Breathe easier – Nothing feels better than breathing clean air. Read our 10,000+ reviews and see just how much our air purifier can assist and support the body’s natural response during allergy season.
- Smart air purifier – In AUTO mode, a smart air quality sensor detects pollutants in your air, adjusting the fan speed in real-time. A digital display on the unit reveals your air quality level, so you always know what you’re breathing.
3.Blueair Classic 205
The Blueair Classic 205 can help you battle allergies, knockout airborne pollutants and chemicals, and neutralize odors such as smoke. With its HEPASilent technology, the filter has an electrostatic barrier to electrify and draw in particles and pollutants. At the same time, the DualProtection filters work on handling particles of various sizes from as large as pollen to as small as typical viruses. These filters are made with a durable steel body so that they can last a long time.
The design is even intuitive so it won’t be hard to use. There is a straightforward, yet modern, control panel. From here, you can do everything, such as switch through the three fan speed modes. On this sleek panel is also a filter change indicator so you won’t have to keep track of when you last replaced the filters.
Pros & Cons
- Battle allergies, asthma and hay fever with HEPASilent technology which leverages electrostatic charge and mechanical filtration to deliver true HEPA performance capturing 99.97% of air airborne pollutants including dust, mold, pet dander, pollen.
- Certified clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 180 cubic feet per minute with a superior, 4.8 air changes per hour
- 3 fan speeds including whisper quiet operation allow you to breathe and sleep easier without disruption. Wi-Fi connectivity-compatible with 802.11 b/g/n router on 2.4ghz Wi-Fi network band. Network security; open, WEP, WPA, & WPA2
- Wi-Fi enabled for control through your Blueair friend app and amazon Alexa compatible
- For small to medium rooms between 300 square feet and 400 square feet (AHAM rated at 279 square feet) such as small bedrooms, nurseries, and offices
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Alen FLEX Air Purifier
The Alen BreatheSmart Flex is another great air purifier that comes with a medical-grade H13 HEPA filter. For the sake of VOCs, however, this features a robust activated carbon filter. This filter is high in quality enough to handle heavy smoke whether from cigarettes, wildfire, or VOC fumes. There is even an antimicrobial compound so that other important issues are addressed, including bacteria, fungi, and mold.
It can cycle through and clean the air of a medium-sized room every 30 minutes. This way, you can keep it running shorter and wind up cleaning out the air quickly. It makes it ideal for numerous areas throughout your home, including the living room, basement, and even your bedroom.
Pros & Cons
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Capturing dust, dander, small airborne particles, pet fur, and odors. Sleek design fits in any space from small to large rooms.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Standard filter that helps capture asthma and allergy triggers.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99% airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
- CLEANS AIR FAST: Cleans 700 SqFt every 30 minutes, twice as fast as key competitors on Turbo speed. Perfect for any space from small to extra large bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries, kitchens, and basements.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
- LOW ENERGY CONSUMPTION: 50 Watts on Turbo speed. Lowest setting will use less than 50 cents a month in electricity.
- EPA Establishment Number 100879-CHN-1. CARB Certification Number G-17-008
5.Oransi mod | HEPA Air Purifier
Oransi EJ120 air purifier comes with a granular activated carbon (GAC) filter. It has 3.5 pounds of carbon material which is strong enough to neutralize medium to strong VOCs, and odors from the air.
Also, Oransi offers a pleated-type odor filter that is treated with 1 pound of activated carbon material. This filter has more surface area for adsorbing. An independent test demonstrates the filter can reduce 99% of Formaldehyde, Sulfur Dioxide, and Nitrogen Dioxide within 48 hours from a closed space.
Pros & Cons
- Pure Air Purifier for Home – real HEPA & Carbon Filter for Large Rooms - Ideal for the home, large bedrooms, office, classroom, church, business, apartments, basements and large living spaces. Indoor room coverage of 1,312 Square Feet with 2 air changes per hour. Industry-Standard no air by-pass so all the air is filtered. One reason we have superior air filtration performance. Ozone free air cleaner preventing harmful secondary pollution.
- Real HEPA filter (MERV17) - Tested to remove 99.4% at 0.02 microns (20 nanometers) and 0.10 microns. COVID is around 0.125 microns where the removal rate is 99.6% with each air pass. Odor eliminating real HEPA filter Effective for fine particles, allergies, smoke, pet hair, mold and gases (methane gas, sulfur gases, and many others.) Ease sneezing, congestion and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants.
- Quiet Large Air Purifier - Only 20 db at lowest fan speed for near silent and variable fan speeds with no motor hum thanks to the latest EC motor technology. Easy automatic control by touch, simply slide a finger along the plug in air purifier to control the fan speed arc to set the precise air flow. Compact and lightweight air cleaners for home at just 23 lbs, Mod is easy to move, it’s only 14 inches wide and deep by 25 inches high – making it the best air purifier for home.
- Energy Star Certified with up to 90% Less Power - Using the latest engineered EC (Electrically Commutated) motors for increased airflow efficiency at a fraction of the power. One thousand two hundred fifty square feet is about the size of a small house, retail store, warehouse, commercial space, first or second floor in a large house or 30 feet wide by 60 feet deep room.
- 10-Year Warranty, Rated #1 in Clemson University Study - Effective for fine particles, smoke and gas, as well as common allergens eliminating pets dander, allergen and pollen. Real HEPA filter air quality media 99.97% (equivalent to H13). Available for CMP grant for COVID in-person visitation aid. Operates at 120V/60 (North America).
6.EnviroKlenz Home Air Purifier
If you are looking for a zero-off-gassing VOC air purifier for medium to large rooms, the EnviroKlenz air purifier is for you. EnviroKlenz adopts its odor filter with its patented Earth Mineral Technology for neutralizing VOCs and chemicals from the air. This filter’s adsorbents media are earth minerals that include Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, and Titanium Dioxide.
The earth minerals act as oxidizing agents to neutralize formaldehyde, ammonia, and other VOCs from the air. Unlike the activated carbon, earth minerals don’t re-release VOCs after adsorbing.
Pros & Cons
- IMPROVE YOUR HOME’S AIR with an easy-to-use, easy-to-fit, portable air purifier. The EnviroKlenz Air System cleans the air in any space up to 1000 square feet with minimum noise and up to four-speed options.
- INCLUDES HEPA FILTRATION that captures any harmful particulates, like dust, allergens, pet dander, and unpleasant odors. Perfect for use during seasonal events, such as wildfire season and spring allergies.
- ELIMINATES AIRBORNE TOXINS going beyond standard air filtration, thanks to our patented technology that neutralizes airborne toxins and destroys them safely. The EnviroKlenz Air Purifier does not release anything back into the environment nor uses any harmful chemicals.
- ANY SPACE UP TO 1000 SQUARE FEET can be free of air pollution with maximum coverage and 3 to 5 air exchanges per hour. That’s why we’re present in over 100,000 classrooms in the US, nursing homes, dental offices, and office spaces in general.
- WITH A 5-YEAR WARRANTY, all of our products are 100% made in the USA and use our patented technology: we’ve created a safe, chemical-free technology by using the natural capabilities of earth mineral compounds.
One of the downsides of activated carbon to neutralizes VOCs is they often re-release VOCs after adsorbing. To solve this problem, you can use air purifiers with zero-off-gassing adsorbent materials. Or a completely different tech. Here comes the Molekule.
Molekule Air Pro uses a PECO filter that can effectively neutralize odors and VOCs by destroying them. The filter is a pleated fiber filter coated with a proprietary catalyst. The filter activates with low-energy UV-A lights and starts neutralizing odor by a harmless chemical reaction.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Pro is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses, bacteria and mold.
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces up to 1000 sq ft or high-traffic areas, with 3x the airflow of Molekule’s award-winning consumer devices.
- PECO-powered: Breakthrough PECO technology doesn’t just collect pollutants, it destroys VOCs, bacteria, viruses, mold, pollen, pet dander, and more.
- Particle & chemical sensors: detects VOCs and a range of air particles in three sizes, to better understand what’s in your air, from PM10 (pollen) and PM2.5 (dust), to smaller than PM1 (smoke).
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet automatically regulate fan speed based on particle levels, at noise levels ideal for day or night, as well as a 6-speed manual mode.
- Smart & connected: Easy-to-control touch-screen interface. For added convenience, connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Portable: With its vegan leather handle, Molekule Air Pro can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- Expanded air history stats track indoor air quality from one day to the next. Toggle between Day and Week View to see the quality of the air you breathe, with the ability to swipe back through the previous four weeks to identify pollutant trends.
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Explore Air Score for an overall real-time snapshot of your air, or dive deeper into each air quality factor. Plus, see changes in 5-minute increments for real-time changes.
Best Air Purifier for Vocs – If you are feeling the effects of VOCs in your air, fear not, an air purifier can help. But to remove gases or odors from the air, you will need a specific type of purifier. While most air purifiers can catch larger particles such as dust and pollen, gases are far too small and will simply slip through their filters. VOC purifiers, on the other hand, utilize a bed of activated carbon which can absorb gases into its pores and eradicate them from the room.
Now you know which filtration your purifier needs, it’s important to take into consideration the size of the room, your budget, and which VOCs are polluting the air.