Best Compact Air Purifier – Products featured are independently selected by our editorial team and we may earn a commission from purchases made from our links; the retailer may also receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.
A lot of the conversations surrounding air pollution revolves around the outdoors, but given that the average person spends 93 percent of their lives indoors, the quality of the air inside is just as, if not more so, important. In fact, the air inside can be five-times more polluted than the air outside thanks to the lack of circulation in a lot of indoor spaces.
1.Coway Airmega 200M
For sheer simplicity and affordability, the Airmega 200M will probably fit most people’s lives, houses, and budgets. The compact, attractive device easily fits into a corner of my bedroom and is effective for spaces up to 361 square feet. It saves energy with an included air-quality monitor that turns the machine off when no pollution is detected and automatically increases the fan speed if it detects particles.
When my dog plopped down in her bed, or when I cooked bacon with the bedroom door open, the Airmega 200M roared to life. You’ll probably want to turn off the AQ monitor’s bright light at night, though.
Pros & Cons
2.Dyson Pure Hot +
Filtering out volatile organic compounds and particulates is one way of making the air in your home safer. Adjusting it to the correct humidity is another important component, and it’s often ignored. Indoor air is usually very dry, and viruses love dry air. Having the right indoor humidity inactivates viruses much faster than normal, making airborne viruses less likely to infect you.
That’s why I really like Dyson’s purifier (9/10, WIRED Recommends), which I tested last spring. Its almost entirely automated self-cleaning mode takes care of the worst aspect of humidifiers—keeping them mold-free.
Pros & Cons
- Multi functionality; HEPA Air Purifier. Space heater, + fan; In one; Backward airflow mode purifies without cooling or heating you
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- SENSES: Automatically senses air pollution events, initiates purification, & reports air quality levels on LCD display, including ultrafine particles (PM 2.5), allergens (PM10), volatile organic compounds (VOCs) & nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- Captures: The sealed HEPA filter captures 99.97 percent of allergens as small as 0.3 microns makes this an ideal air purifier for allergies, pets, dust, smoke, pollen and mold spores
- Projects: Projects purified air throughout the whole room; Air Multiplier technology delivers over 77 gallons per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow; Up to 350 degree of oscillation directs airflow where you need it to help make the air cleaner
- Heats: The HP04 purifying space heater can be used for long range personal heating or fast, even room heating; Heats with thermostatic control in the winter to bring the room up to the right temperature
- Connected: Wi-Fi connected home air purifier and heater; See real time reports, remotely control your machine and create schedules around your day using the Dyson Link app
- Alexa enabled: Voice control using Alexa to turn on/off, turn on auto mode, and update you on the indoor air quality
- Other product listings for non authorized 3rd party sellers are not covered by official Dyson
- Warning: Unauthorized replacement filters are not tested or verified to perform at HEPA standard; Only authentic Dyson filters are recommended to ensure a sealed system and proper functioning of the machine
3.Blueair Pure Fan Auto
The Pure Fan Auto looks more like a little piece of art than an air purifier. We like other Blueair products, and this one adds cool air to its purifying capabilities—it cycles air five times an hour in a 326-square-foot room. The fan is not powerful enough to cool down a super hot room on its own, but it feels quite nice if you’re sitting in front of it.
It hardly makes a sound, but if you’re a light sleeper, Night Mode turns the fan to its lowest setting and shuts off the air quality indicator light. The standard Pure Fan costs the same as the Auto, but the latter offers auto mode, night mode, plus an air quality indicator light.
Pros & Cons
- Cleans; Delivers more clean air than other purifying fans¹ and removes over 99%² of airborne allergens like dust and pollen
- Cools; Patented fan technology delivers a gentle stream of clean, cooling air across a 90-degree range- no oscillation required
- Simple air quality management; Auto mode auto-adjust to changing conditions and Air Quality Indicator (AQI) 3-color LED gives real-time updates on air quality
- HEPASilent filtration technology; A combination of electrostatic and mechanical filtration removes airborne allergens like dust, pollen, and pet dander with low noise and energy consumption.
- Customizable pre-filters; Fabric pre-filters are washable and available in 5 colors inspired by natural Scandinavian landscapes; Arctic Trail and Night Waves come standard
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.KOIOS H13 HEPA
I’ve had this air purifier for over a year now; I originally purchased it to help with my seasonal allergy symptoms flaring up, but have found it to be effective no matter what season it is. This is a compact, yet effective, HEPA air purifier that is also easy to use.
Featuring 360° deep purification, this air purifier has three different modes, including a quiet setting that won’t disturb your sleep if you’d like to keep it running. I keep mine in my bedroom (which is where I also work during the day) on my nightstand; it’s so quiet, I can leave it on throughout the day while I’m on Zoom calls or composing emails without any distracting sounds.
Pros & Cons
- TRUE HEPA AIR PURIFIER - Filters out dust, pollen, and pet dander. This air purifier filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger air pollution of PM 2.5, helping to improve overall health. Perfect for pet owners, babies, children, the elderly, or anyone wanting to improve the air quality in their home, office or hotel room. The perfect holiday, birthday, house-warming gifting choice for parents, adult children, colleagues, and friends.
- ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY AIR CLEANER - Equipped with 3-Stage Filtration system including Pre-filter, TRUE HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter can effectively remove odor and smoke, such as pet odor, cigarette smoke and cooking odor around your living space and zero Ozone emission certified by California Air Resources Board
- 360° DEEP PURIFICATION - Efficient air intake and discharge maximize fresh and healthy air provided to all directions, improving the air circulation in your room. It can clean 55 cubic meter air per hour in normal mode and consume less than 0.002 units of power.
- EASY OPERATE, SIMPLE DESIGN - Using this air purifier couldn't be easier. It takes one single press of the same button to turn it on/off and control the fan speed. The minimalist design makes it look elegant and sleek anywhere and fit any style of room decor. The low power consumption means it's more than affordable to run all day. Please NOTE: Press the button for 4 seconds to Turn ON/OFF the night light when the machine is running.
- WHISPER QUIET, ENERGY-SAVING - At quiet mode, the noise is controlled under 25dB with the cutting-edge noise reducing fan blade design. You will barely be able to hear it at arm's length. And it consumes only 0.192 units of electricity with a rated power of 8W, and it would be even much less in quiet mode. (NOTE: If you have any questions, just simply get in touch with customer service.)
5.Pure Enrichment PureZone
This air purifier is compact enough to take with you on the go, or keep on a small or cramped desk without eating up precious space. But don’t let its small size fool you — it doesn’t sacrifice efficiency for size. Featuring a two-stage air purification process, this purifier promises to eliminate up to 99.7 percent of contaminants, whether that be pollen, dust or foul odors.
It’s also quiet enough to efficiently clean the air without drawing attention to itself, whether you happen to be using it on public transport, a study session or you just generally prefer to see, not hear, your air purifiers. The filter should be replaced every six months and is very inexpensive.
Pros & Cons
- 2-STAGE AIR PURIFICATION: Clean your personal air from 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and odors. Stage 1: Activated carbon pre-filter; Stage 2: True HEPA filter.
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Whether upright or on its side, our innovative adjustable handle allows this portable air purifier to adapt to suit your needs
- 3 FAN SPEEDS: Find your optimal fan settings with low, medium, and high options
- IDEAL FOR TRAVEL: Weighing under 1 lb, this on-the-go small air purifier keeps your personal space clean for up to 12 hours (depending on fan speed) with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. At your final destination, plug it in for continued fresher air.
- WHAT YOU GET: Portable air purifier, 2-in-1 filter, USB charging cable, and Pure Enrichment’s guaranteed 5-Year Warranty. Our customer support team provides daily quality service and peace of mind to millions worldwide all from a brand you can trust.
You’d be forgiven if you gave this a quick glance and mistook it for a clock or radio, but this air purifier’s slim design makes it suited perfectly for desks and other workspaces, whether you need it to sit horizontally or vertically to accommodate laptops or other belongings.
Mold, smoke, bacteria, pet dander and other contaminants are no match for the powerful HEPA filter and ionizer duo, working in tandem to keep the air from being dirty and stale.
Pros & Cons
- REMOVES UP TO 99% OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: The Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type Air Purifier with Optional Ionizer captures particles as small as 2 microns, removing up to 99% of airborne particles and allergens such as pollen, dust, mold, pet dander, and smoke from the air so you can breathe more comfortably
- INCLUDES IONIZER: This Holmes air purifier features an optional air ionizer that helps to bind negative ions to airborne smoke, dust, and pollen to form larger particles that are more easily captured, helping to clean air more thoroughly and tackling odors
- 70 CADR: Air purifier provides a 70 CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: 3 speed settings to help you keep your air clean and pure
- SLIM DESIGN, IDEAL FOR SMALL ROOMS: Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq. ft.; can be placed vertically or horizontally anywhere, including a table or desktop.
- DURABLE: 3-year limited warranty
- HEPA type filter helps remove up to 99% of airborne particles as small as 2 microns from the air passing through it
- 3 speed settings provide options for different conditions, and optional ionizer assists in particle removal
- Slim dual positioning design can be placed vertically or horizontally to best fit your space
- Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq ft (10ft x 11ft), Smoke CADR 70
- Any Holmes AER1 Series HAPF30AT, HAPF30AO, HAPF30AH, HAPF300AP Filters or Holmes HAPF30D-U2 HEPA TYPE or Holmes HAPF300D-U2 TRUE HEPA Filter & a Holmes Arm and Hammer Carbon Filter AOR31
7.Molekule – Air Mini+
This mini air purifier by Molekule may be significantly more expensive than the others mentioned on our list, but that’s because it’s more powerful. By using a process known as Photochemical Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy contaminants in the air. In short, instead of trapping things like dust, mold and viruses, this air purifier actually destroys them.
But don’t worry, you don’t have to be Bill Nye the Science Guy to use this; in fact, this air purifier’s settings are extremely customizable. Though there are five pre-set speeds available, and you can automate settings to be even quieter or more powerful to match to your unique preferences.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Mini+ is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses & bacteria, and trap 95% of particles 0.3-1 micron in size
- Made for smaller spaces: designed for smaller spaces up to 250 sq. ft. like studio apartments, kids’ bedrooms & home offices
- PECO-powered: Uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, allergens, bacteria, mold, chemicals & more
- Auto Protect mode: Delivers particle protection by auto-adjusting fan speed based on the sensor. Auto Protect is designed for non-medical use. For home-or-commercial healthcare use, Mini+ should be used on fan speed 3 or higher
- PECO-Filter status indicator: Easily track the replacement schedule for your PECO-Filter
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Whisper quiet: With a 39-decibel Silent Mode, Air Mini+ is sonically unobtrusive
- Efficient purification: Air Mini+ uses low energy, so let it run 24/7 to help maintain fresh air
- Portable: With its vegan-leather handle, Air Mini+ can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business
- App-enabled: Check filter status and change your device’s fan speed from your app, wherever you are
Best Compact Air Purifier – If left unchecked, a lot of the pollutants hiding in the air can have damaging effects on our health, from agitating those who suffer from allergies or asthma to provoking respiratory infections.
As many of us continue working remotely, or return to their offices, settle into their dorm rooms, etc. it’s important to invest in a good portable air purifier.