Best Hepa Air Purifier for Asthma – An air purifier is a device people can use in the home to help remove indoor pollutants or allergens.
While some research indicates that air purifiers may benefit people with asthma, reducing or eliminating the trigger source may be the most effective strategy.
This article explores how effective air purifiers are for people with asthma, what to look for in an air purifier, and other steps to improve indoor air quality.
Out of all of the air purifiers on the market, this is the best one you can get for controlling asthma attacks and allergies in medium to large size rooms.
The reason it’s such a good air purifier for asthmatics is because it uses a special 6-stage air filtration system that strips the air from all types of asthma-inducing toxins.
Pros & Cons
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Odor Remover customized filter: Traps and reduces odors from pets, cigarettes and cigars, cooking and mildew.
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 700 sq. ft.
2.Blueair Classic 280i
Another great choice for asthmatics is this air purifier right here.
The HEPASilent technology leverages electrostatic charge and mechanical filtration to remove airborne pollutants including dust, dust mites, allergens, mold, pet dander, and pollen for relief from allergies and asthma.
It uses the best air filter for asthma called a “True HEPA filter” along with the electrostatic charge to capture 99.97% of particles down to 0.1 microns i size that can cause an asthma attack.
Pros & Cons
- HEPASilent technology leverages electrostatic charge and mechanical filtration to deliver true HEPA performance capturing 99.97% of airborne pollutants including dust, mold, pet dander, and pollen for relief from allergies and asthma
- DualProtection filters with activated coconut carbon, naturally remove gaseous pollutants and smoke without the need for chemical additives
- Air quality sensors monitor air quality in real time and adjust fan speed accordingly when set to auto mode
- Wi-Fi enabled for control through the Blueair friend app and Alexa compatible
- Small to medium rooms between 200 square feet and 300 square feet (AHAM rated at 279 square feet) such as small bedrooms, nurseries, and offices
- Most independent certifications; Blueair is the only major brand to verify 100% of models with AHAM for performance, Energy Star, and safe ozone
Our third recommendation for the best air purifier for allergies and asthma sufferers is for people who have severe symptoms or need a device that can handle an extremely large room or area—up to 1,125 square feet.
This air cleaner has an advanced HyperHEPA filter that captures 99.95% of particles down to 0.003 microns—the smallest that exists—and it lasts up to four years. It’s considered the best air filter for asthma ever made.
Pros & Cons
- Unrivaled Performance: The HealthPro Plus is the #1 Rated room air purifier for homes, offices, schools, hospitals, industrial, and commercial sites. Has received more top reviews and awards than any other air purifier. Chosen by the Hong Kong Hospital Authority for both SARS-CoV-1 & SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Superior airflow with the 320-degree EvenFlow Diffuser efficiently filters all the air in large rooms and bedrooms numerous times an hour.
- Medical Grade H14 HyperHEPA Filter: Proven and certified by a third-party testing lab to remove and trap 99.995% of all airborne particles down to 0.003 microns, the HealthPro Plus supplies unequaled protection against bacteria, dust, mold, pollen, pet dander, smoke from wildfires, odors, harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, and more. True HEPA filtration.
- Long Lasting & Cost-Efficient Filters: Three different filters clean the air four different ways. Pre-filter traps coarse particles. Activated carbon adsorption and pelletized chemisorption filter odors and gasses. HyperHEPA traps fine and ultrafine particles. Long-lasting filters – 16 to18 months for the pre-filter, 2 years for the gas and odor filter, 3 years, 9 months to 4 years, 2 months for the HyperHEPA filter - helps save money over the air cleaner’s lifetime, and more eco-friendly.
- Energy Saving and Ultra-quiet Air Cleaner: The HealthPro Plus emits ultra-quiet, low-decibel sound across all four fan speeds. The fan-in-center design places the motor between sound-reducing filters. Doubled-walled housing limits sound. Rubber suspension pads isolate motor vibration from the air cleaner housing. EvenFlow Diffuser deflects sound back into the system. Powerful fan uses only as much electricity as a conventional light bulb, amounting to pennies per day to operate.
- Certified Performance: Each HealthPro Plus air purifier is made in Switzerland and individually tested for total system efficiency. If the system is not delivering 99.97% cleaner air or better, it does not get shipped. The results of the tests are detailed in a hand-signed Certificate of Performance. Every system comes with a 10-year limited warranty. Direct purchases from the manufacturer will require a signature to acknowledge receipt upon delivery. CARB EO # G-10-059.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.LEVOIT Air Purifier
This asthma air purifier is best for anyone who needs a small device for personal use, travel, or a smaller room inside the home.
This air cleaner handles up to 219 square feet, is compact, lightweight, and virtually silent on the lowest fan speed.
The best part; however, is the 360-degree design of the internal air filter. This unit draws air in from every side of the machine to help eliminate allergens, dust, and other particles that can cause an asthma attack from all around you.
Pros & Cons
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 cleans spaces up to 547 ft² in 30 minutes, 219 ft² in 12 minutes (CADR: 141 CFM / 240 m³/h). Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER: Choose Sleep Mode at night and then forget all about your air purifier while you sleep. QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24dB, ensuring the Core 300 won’t get in the way of a good night’s rest
- SLEEK DESIGN: The Core 300 practically serves your home while blending in with your decor. Its award-winning design (Red Dot, 2020) and modern white finish help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
- UNDISTURBED OPERATION: The display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect night of sleep without the effect of light. A timer for 2/4/6/8 hours and filter lifetime indicator for your convenience
- FULL CERTIFIED FOR SAFER: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed
5.Molekule Air Pro
Our final recommendation for a good air purifier for asthma and allergies is this unit by Molekule.
What makes it stand out from the other air cleaners reviewed on this page is that it uses an advanced air filtration technology that actually destroys—not traps—airborne pollutants at a molecular level.
Essentially, it eliminates all traces of airborne contaminants that can trigger your allergy and asthma symptoms.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Pro is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses, bacteria and mold.
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces up to 1000 sq ft or high-traffic areas, with 3x the airflow of Molekule’s award-winning consumer devices.
- PECO-powered: Breakthrough PECO technology doesn’t just collect pollutants, it destroys VOCs, bacteria, viruses, mold, pollen, pet dander, and more.
- Particle & chemical sensors: detects VOCs and a range of air particles in three sizes, to better understand what’s in your air, from PM10 (pollen) and PM2.5 (dust), to smaller than PM1 (smoke).
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet automatically regulate fan speed based on particle levels, at noise levels ideal for day or night, as well as a 6-speed manual mode.
- Smart & connected: Easy-to-control touch-screen interface. For added convenience, connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Portable: With its vegan leather handle, Molekule Air Pro can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- Expanded air history stats track indoor air quality from one day to the next. Toggle between Day and Week View to see the quality of the air you breathe, with the ability to swipe back through the previous four weeks to identify pollutant trends.
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Explore Air Score for an overall real-time snapshot of your air, or dive deeper into each air quality factor. Plus, see changes in 5-minute increments for real-time changes.
6.Austin Air HealthMate
If you suffer from severe allergies or asthma and require only medical-grade air purifiers, you cannot afford to overlook the brand Austin Air. This brand has been a pioneer in the air purifier business for over 15 years, dating all the way back to 1990.
They operate the largest air purifier production plant in the world in the United States, with everything made in-house. The Austin Air HealthMate Plus is this company’s air purifier that can recreate the exact “hospital clean room” environment.
Pros & Cons
- The Austin Air Healthmate is the best choice for people looking for everyday protection from indoor air pollutants.
- Highly efficient at removing a wide range of indoor air pollutants such as dust, pet dander, pollen and gases from the home.
- Over 780 cubic inches of activated carbon and zeolite filtration removes chemicals, gases and odors
- The Austin Air Healthmate reduces coughing, wheezing and sneezing. Reduces dry mouth and runny nose. Reduces snoring and helps you sleep better. Strengthens the immune system.
This device can usually be found in many brick-and-mortar stores and on sale, making it an easy choice to buy in a hurry — when it’s in stock. This machine is made to be portable and easy to move between rooms. It’s quieter than some of its competitors but still delivers great filtration.
Models built for smaller rooms or for moving a smaller volume of air can also be found, bringing price tags down. Consumers love this product, according to ratings, listing it as an affordable and effective device.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Best Hepa Air Purifier for Asthma – The device usually contains at least one filter and a fan. As air passes through the purifier, the filter captures fine particles, such as dust, smoke, and other pollutants and allergens. The purifier then circulates clean air back into the room.
Air purifiers only work on certain solid and liquid particles in the air, not on gases such as radon or volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are chemicals that many household products, including paint and cleaning solvents, release into the air.