Best Hepa Air Purifier – When choosing an air purifier, keep in mind that you should purchase your device based on room size and filtering ability. Also, the device can only filter as well as you maintain it. A dirty or expired HEPA filter will not do its job well. Check the manufacturer’s recommendation on filter replacement. Generally, these should be switched every 60 to 90 days.
You should also be sure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on placement, operation, and maintenance for best results.
This device can usually be found in many brick-and-mortar stores and on sale, making it an easy choice to buy in a hurry — when it’s in stock. This machine is made to be portable and easy to move between rooms. It’s quieter than some of its competitors but still delivers great filtration.
Models built for smaller rooms or for moving a smaller volume of air can also be found, bringing price tags down. Consumers love this product, according to ratings, listing it as an affordable and effective device.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
2.LEVOIT Air Purifiers
Levoit is a favorite on consumer-driven sites like Amazon, and offers a variety of models to fit every price range. The Core 400s is priced just below the range of other high performers, so it’s affordable but also does the job.
Named for the room size it’s designed to filter (400 square feet), the Core 400s features a large HEPA filter. Options for bells and whistles like voice control are also available, and the device is easily portable.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen,dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOCs
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air quality has improved
- HANDS-FREE VOICE COMMAND: Hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant allows you to control settings when your hands are full with cooking, caring for babies and children, or playing with pets
- SCHEDULE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR ROUTINE: Program the air purifier to use different modes and fan speeds at certain times, so you can have your week planned in advance. With scheduling, you never have to worry about forgetting to change your settings
- TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE: The Core 400S is Energy Star and FCC certified, ETL listed, and a recipient of the German Design Award (2021) and iF Design Award (2021). Only use Levoit replacement filters (search B08SQQK6K7) for best results and product performance
3.Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
The Winix line also offers several models, but the 5500-2 is a performer for the budget conscious. There are no smart sensors or fancy apps with this model, but you can use automatic settings.
AHAM Verifide, a manufacturers’ association and product testing program, certified this air purifier’s performance for rooms up to 360 square feet.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Blueair Blue Pure 211+
Blueair actually makes it onto our list twice. Once for this air purifier that tops several “best HEPA air purifier” lists on consumer sites. Consumer Reports praises the model for having top-rated filtration at both high and low speeds (CADR scores are usually based on filtration at the highest speed only). The second time, below, is for its line of air purifiers overall, which gives an option for most room sizes and budgets.
This portable machine is designed for home use and has washable filter components to extend the life of your filter. This isn’t the quietest model, but it has other features, like a light to remind you when it’s time to change the filter.
Pros & Cons
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or up to 2592sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes over 99% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, bacteria and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 211+ has won Good Housekeeping – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Overall Air Purifier; Wirecutter Pick - The Best Air Purifier - 2019 - 2022
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
Medify Air is another popular brand, especially among those who need air purifiers for medical reasons. While it promises to be “quiet,” the quietest setting is about half the volume of a vacuum cleaner, making its noise level a matter of opinion.
This large unit could be difficult to move due to its design and size, but it delivers high levels of filtration for the price. There are a variety of models from this manufacturer to choose from.
Pros & Cons
- MAXIMUM COVERAGE: Cleans large spaces up to 1,600 sq ft in one hour, 840 sq ft in 30 minutes (CADR 380). Ideal for homes, apartments, bedrooms, living rooms, offices, schools, universities, classrooms, hospitals, restaurants, and other businesses.
- HEPA H13 FILTRATION: Trusted to remove 99.9% of particles including odors, smoke, pet dander, dust, and more down to 0.1 microns in size. Captures finer particles than HEPA H11 (0.3 microns).
- ULTRA QUIET: Choose from 3 fan speeds, with the lowest setting operating virtually silent. Runs at 110 Volts at a min noise level of 46dB and max of 66dB. For the most discreet operation, enable sleep mode to completely dim the unit's panel lights.
- EASY TO USE FEATURES: Includes a sleek touch screen operation panel with 0-8 hour timer, fan speed, sleep mode, filter replacement indicator, and child lock, great for both kids and pets.
- QUALITY TESTED & BACKED: CARB, ETL, and Energy Star certified. Backed by a USA registered Lifetime Warranty when genuine Medify replacement filters are used. The replacement filter (B08194ZQ4N) lasts 3,000 hours or about 6 months.
BISSELL is a well-known name in filtration and the air320 purifier evokes the feeling of nostalgia with a retro furniture look. While the device can be portable, this might be difficult due to its size.
The 20-pound device does come with a carrying handle, though. BISSELL offers a number of other models as well.
Pros & Cons
- 3-Stage Filtration for Simply Clean Air. Includes a fabric pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and an H13 HEPA filter to capture large and fine particles, home odors, odors from pet, and VOCs.
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter. Captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and smaller when on lowest fan speed, helping to remove airborne allergens and irritants like dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke like that from wildfires, cooking, and smoking.
- Honeycomb-Structured Carbon Filter. Filter contains thousands of activated carbon pellets engineered to capture gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors including odors from pets, cooking and smoke.
- Large Room Coverage and AHAM Certified. Filters 1582 sq. ft. with 1 air change/hour. Filters 791 sq. ft. with 2 air changes/hour. Filters 527 sq. ft. with 3 air changes/hour. Filters rooms 327 sq. ft. providing 4.8 air changes/hour.
- Low Energy and Library Quiet. Energy Star rated and equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is as quiet as a library.
- Automated CirQulate System. PM 2.5 particle sensor monitors and provides color-coded, indoor air quality readings and adjusts to the appropriate fan speed for continuous clean air.
- Commercial-Grade Performance. Brushless, digital DC motor and powerful XL fan pulls air in through the front of the air purifier and the 3 filters, releasing clean air out of the top vent.
- Easy Filter Maintenance. Filter change indicator will inform you when it’s time for new filters. Filters should be replaced approximately every six months. Only use genuine BISSELL Replacement Filters to ensure excellent performance. Search AMAZON ASIN: B09BP3JJDM.
For people looking for style and function, Rabbit Air offers a well-reviewed — albeit expensive — option. These devices come in black and white, or a few famous art prints like Monet’s “Water Lilies” and Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.”
Extremely quiet on the lowest settings, you may sacrifice some function for volume and appearance with this model. CADR ratings are lower than some cheaper models, but if you’re looking for function and appearance with high-tech options, this model could suit your needs.
Pros & Cons
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Odor Remover customized filter: Traps and reduces odors from pets, cigarettes and cigars, cooking and mildew.
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 700 sq. ft.
Best Hepa Air Purifier – A high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter is a pleated device that can remove particles from surrounding air. A number of devices use these filters, such as air purifiers, which are designed to remove a host of particles and pollutants from the air in your home.
There is no federal certification or regulation for HEPA filters in the United States, but the Environmental Protection Agency offers some advice on how to choose efficient filters. Keep reading to learn some tips for choosing HEPA filters and how to find the best air purifier for your home.