Best Rated Air Purifier – There’s something in the air, and it’s not good. Between coronavirus and wildfires, consumers are stocking up on air purifiers like their lives depend on it. Air purifiers aren’t the end all be all of health and wellness, but they will drastically improve your indoor air quality so you can breathe easier.
“Air purifiers are designed to remove small particulate matter, or air pollution, from the air we breathe,” Kenneth Mendez, the president and CEO of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), says. “These small particles can vary in size, and can irritate the lungs or trigger allergic reactions when inhaled.
1.Dyson Pure Hot +
Formaldehyde is a silent killer, and it’s hard to capture and kill. Dyson recently revamped its air purifier line, and it included a range that specializes in getting formaldehyde (as well as other crap in the air). The Pure Cool Formaldehyde uses Selective Catalytic Oxidization filter, which is a fancy way to say it catches formaldehyde in billions of tiny tunnels and turns it into water.
It’s also insanely quiet, and 20 percent quieter than the old models. All air purifiers have an air output, and I like how Dyson turned that necessity into something functional: a fan. The tiny display on the machine actually offers a lot of information about your air quality, and it’s only rivaled by the information you get on the accompanying Dyson app.
Pros & Cons
- Triple Functionality: Purifies year-round, cooling fan in summer and powerful heater in winter. Now works with Amazon Alexa
- HEPA filter removes 99.97% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns including pollen, dust, mold spores, bacteria and pet dander. Second filter layer with active carbon captures household odors and volatile organic compounds such as paint fumes
- Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly and awarded the Quietmark accreditation
- Automatically monitors and reacts. Dyson Link app provides real-time air quality reports and allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone – standard data and messaging rates may apply
- Has auto mode, sleep timer, night-time mode and easy to clean. With no fast-spinning blades it’s safe for little fingers or paws
This air purifier from Honeywell, another established brand in the home comfort space, comes in five different sizes that target rooms ranging from small (75 square feet) to extra large (465 square feet). This model, previously the brand’s largest, claims to clean the air as often as five times an hour and remove up to 99.97% of super tiny airborne particles (including viruses).
Since it’s HEPA-certified, our testers found this air purifier to be a superb choice for allergy sufferers because it can remove fine particles and common allergens from the air.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
3.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH(W)
With an average 4.7-star rating across over more than 10,000 reviews, Amazon customers clearly love this air purifier. Its 4-stage filtration system includes a deodorization layer that’s tough on smells. We like that the model also has an LED light that constantly indicates how clean or dirty the air is.
It’s built to purify the air in up to 361 square feet. In usability tests, our testers gave points for the fact the unit offers various fan speeds, timers and modes to choose from (like an eco mode that claims to automatically save energy when it doesn’t detect air pollution for 30 minutes).
Pros & Cons
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq. ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft. ).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99. 97% of particles 0. 3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds and reduces odor.
- Coway Mighty pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. The brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. And it features a timer, and filter lifetime indicator.
- Fan speeds available in 1, 2, 3 stages by manually setting up. While auto mode automatically optimizes the speed setting 1 through 3 based on the level of indoor air quality. When no pollution is detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop and set as Eco mode to save energy.
- Timer feature allows the machine to run 1/4/8 hours before automatically powering off.
- Filter replacement indicator checks both Pre-filter and HEPA filter respectively to let users be aware of when to wash or replace the filter.
- 77 W power consumption and quiet operation with noise level ranging from 24. 4 dB to 53. 8 dB.
- Limited manufacturer's covers any internal/functional parts for 1 year and motor and electronic parts for 3 years. Filters are excluded.
- Won the Best Air Purifier of 2018 at Wirecutter and ranked 1st place at the TopTenReviews.
- Power source type: Electric
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Blueair Pure Fan Auto
Our testers have evaluated many Blueair air purifiers in recent years. The brand is a standout for performance and reliability and we found the Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier to be best for removing an array of particles from the air, including dust and smoke.
The device’s three-part filtration system (one each for fabric, particles and carbon particles) claims to clear up to 99% of common airborne pollutants. It’s designed to cover up to 540 square feet, which is the ideal size for a family room, master bedroom or large office. The best part? You’ll barely notice it working since it’s so quiet. If you’re looking to clear the air in a smaller space, our testers also liked the Blue Pure 411 Auto Air Purifier, basically a smaller, more affordable version of our top pick.
Pros & Cons
- Cleans; Delivers more clean air than other purifying fans¹ and removes over 99%² of airborne allergens like dust and pollen
- Cools; Patented fan technology delivers a gentle stream of clean, cooling air across a 90-degree range- no oscillation required
- Simple air quality management; Auto mode auto-adjust to changing conditions and Air Quality Indicator (AQI) 3-color LED gives real-time updates on air quality
- HEPASilent filtration technology; A combination of electrostatic and mechanical filtration removes airborne allergens like dust, pollen, and pet dander with low noise and energy consumption.
- Customizable pre-filters; Fabric pre-filters are washable and available in 5 colors inspired by natural Scandinavian landscapes; Arctic Trail and Night Waves come standard
5.Mila Air Purifier
Mila started as a Kickstarter project, which received over $1.1 million in backing. Those backers should rest assured that this is an excellent air purifier in the middle-to-upper price range. Mila has a CADR rating up to 447 in rooms as big as 1,000 square feet. The powerful unit has an in-depth display that offers information most air purifiers require an app to see (and Mila’s app itself offers a wealth of information).
In auto mode, set Mila to hit a target air quality index (AQI), and it’ll tell you how long it will take to get there, and how it compares to the outdoor AQI as reported by your closest air quality reporting station. Mila also monitors temperature, humidity and carbon monoxide detector among a host of other useful information and insight. The air purifier uses tailored air filters that address specific needs for its users.
Pros & Cons
- SAY HELLO TO MILA: Finally, a smart air purifier designed with real, air-breathing humans in mind. Mila is the first air purifier to offer a guaranteed level of clean—with proof you can see. You’ll always know exactly what your home air quality is and how long it’ll take to achieve your target air quality index (AQI), regardless of room size. Mila is 100% ozone free, complies with California Air Resources Board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices, and is FCC certified and ETL listed.
- THE ULTIMATE EVERYDAY CLEAN: Packed with 45 ft2 of high-performance H12 HEPA with a 99.6% filtration efficiency, Mila’s Basic Breather filter is designed for those who don’t need any bells and whistles—just the high-performing essentials. With a powerful clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 447 m3/hr, Mila has the muscle to handle large rooms up to 1,000 ft2 with fresh air fully circulated every 30 minutes.
- SMART CONTROL: Mila’s smarts are simple to use through a sleek, highly-rated app designed for all air breathers. This modern home essential keeps you connected to your air cleaner by showing you real-time air quality data, and includes thoughtful features like Turndown Service to refresh bedroom air before you sleep (when allergies can be most active). Want an update on your air? Just ask Mila. It’s always getting smarter, with updates automatically delivered regularly. Available on iOS, Android. Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- WHISPER QUIET: Air breathers, rejoice. Mila is the first HEPA air purifier for homes that’s smart enough to quiet down when you're in the room (24 dB - like a library) and deep clean when you're away. It also comes loaded with thoughtful features like Sleep and Whitenoise Modes, Energy Save Mode, and a built-in Child Lock.
- SUPER CUTE TO BOOT: With clean lines, cute curves, and the most adorable little bamboo legs, Mila is a contemporary home/apartment essential. This smart air cleaner also includes 8 environmental sensors, including a life-saving CO sensor.
Medical-grade HEPA Filter. Captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and smaller when on lowest fan speed, helping to remove airborne allergens and irritants like dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke like that from wildfires, cooking, and smoking.
Honeycomb-Structured Carbon Filter. Filter contains thousands of activated carbon pellets engineered to capture gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors including odors from pets, cooking and smoke.
Large Room Coverage and AHAM Certified. Filters 1582 sq. ft. with 1 air change/hour. Filters 791 sq. ft. with 2 air changes/hour. Filters 527 sq. ft. with 3 air changes/hour. Filters rooms 327 sq. ft. providing 4.8 air changes/hour.
Pros & Cons
- 3-Stage Filtration for Simply Clean Air. Includes a fabric pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and an H13 HEPA filter to capture large and fine particles, home odors, odors from pet, and VOCs.
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter. Captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and smaller when on lowest fan speed, helping to remove airborne allergens and irritants like dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke like that from wildfires, cooking, and smoking.
- Honeycomb-Structured Carbon Filter. Filter contains thousands of activated carbon pellets engineered to capture gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors including odors from pets, cooking and smoke.
- Large Room Coverage and AHAM Certified. Filters 1582 sq. ft. with 1 air change/hour. Filters 791 sq. ft. with 2 air changes/hour. Filters 527 sq. ft. with 3 air changes/hour. Filters rooms 327 sq. ft. providing 4.8 air changes/hour.
- Low Energy and Library Quiet. Energy Star rated and equipped with 5 fan speeds the lowest of which is as quiet as a library.
- Automated CirQulate System. PM 2.5 particle sensor monitors and provides color-coded, indoor air quality readings and adjusts to the appropriate fan speed for continuous clean air.
- Commercial-Grade Performance. Brushless, digital DC motor and powerful XL fan pulls air in through the front of the air purifier and the 3 filters, releasing clean air out of the top vent.
- Easy Filter Maintenance. Filter change indicator will inform you when it’s time for new filters. Filters should be replaced approximately every six months. Only use genuine BISSELL Replacement Filters to ensure excellent performance. Search AMAZON ASIN: B09BP3JJDM.
Best Rated Air Purifier – The pollutants can come from practically anywhere, with Mendez noting that the primary sources of air pollution come from “cooking, automobile emissions, dust, fires or burning of coal and other materials.”
Shopping for an air purifier can feel like a difficult task, no thanks to the unfamiliar terms, options and confusing numbers. Dr. John McKeon, the CEO and founder of Allergy Standards Limited (ASL), says shoppers should look out for a few standard things when it comes to buying an air purifier.