Best Rated Hepa Air Purifier – HEPA filters remove tiny particles from dust, mold, pollen, bacteria, viruses, and more from the air. Thin glass fibers are randomly arranged into a dense, paperlike material that is folded into pleats to create the filter.
As air particles pass through these filters, pollutants are trapped in the fibers. Then, as larger particles stick to the filter, they keep other smaller particles from passing through. A HEPA filter can trap particles as small as 0.3 microns. For reference, the smallest thing the human eye can see is 25 microns, and a strand of hair is between 17 and 180 microns in diameter.
1.LEVOIT Air Purifiers
Levoit is a favorite on consumer-driven sites like Amazon, and offers a variety of models to fit every price range. The Core 400s is priced just below the range of other high performers, so it’s affordable but also does the job.
Named for the room size it’s designed to filter (400 square feet), the Core 400s features a large HEPA filter. Options for bells and whistles like voice control are also available, and the device is easily portable.
Pros & Cons
- MAINTAIN QUALITY: This filter is exclusively designed for the Levoit Core 400S to ensure the best performance. Search “B09YQ3NMVR” or “LRF-C401-YUS" for the official Levoit Core 400S True HEPA 3-Stage Pet Allergy Replacement Filter
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Three stages of filtration trap a wide variety of airborne contaminants, such as pet fur, dander, and pollen
- IDEAL FOR HOUSEHOLDS WITH PETS: The Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter clears your home of unwanted household odors, smoke, fumes, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- H13 TRUE HEPA FILTER WITH HEPASMART TECHNOLOGY: Captures at least 99.97% of 0.3-micron airborne particles, while statically charged fibers trap viruses and bacteria
- COST-EFFECTIVE: This filter is made to last 6–12 months and easy to replace, so you don’t have to worry about frequent and difficult replacements
The Winix line also offers several models, but the 5500-2 is a performer for the budget conscious. There are no smart sensors or fancy apps with this model, but you can use automatic settings.
AHAM Verifide, a manufacturers’ association and product testing program, certified this air purifier’s performance for rooms up to 360 square feet.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen,dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOCs
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air quality has improved
- HANDS-FREE VOICE COMMAND: Hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant allows you to control settings when your hands are full with cooking, caring for babies and children, or playing with pets
- SCHEDULE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR ROUTINE: Program the air purifier to use different modes and fan speeds at certain times, so you can have your week planned in advance. With scheduling, you never have to worry about forgetting to change your settings
- TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE: The Core 400S is Energy Star and FCC certified, ETL listed, and a recipient of the German Design Award (2021) and iF Design Award (2021). Only use Levoit replacement filters (search B08SQQK6K7) for best results and product performance
3.Blueair Blue Pure 211+
Blueair actually makes it onto our list twice. Once for this air purifier that tops several “best HEPA air purifier” lists on consumer sites. Consumer Reports praises the model for having top-rated filtration at both high and low speeds (CADR scores are usually based on filtration at the highest speed only). The second time, below, is for its line of air purifiers overall, which gives an option for most room sizes and budgets.
This portable machine is designed for home use and has washable filter components to extend the life of your filter. This isn’t the quietest model, but it has other features, like a light to remind you when it’s time to change the filter.
Pros & Cons
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 cleans spaces up to 547 ft² in 30 minutes, 219 ft² in 12 minutes (CADR: 141 CFM / 240 m³/h). Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER: Choose Sleep Mode at night and then forget all about your air purifier while you sleep. QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24dB, ensuring the Core 300 won’t get in the way of a good night’s rest
- SLEEK DESIGN: The Core 300 practically serves your home while blending in with your decor. Its award-winning design (Red Dot, 2020) and modern white finish help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
- UNDISTURBED OPERATION: The display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect night of sleep without the effect of light. A timer for 2/4/6/8 hours and filter lifetime indicator for your convenience
- FULL CERTIFIED FOR SAFER: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
Medify Air is another popular brand, especially among those who need air purifiers for medical reasons. While it promises to be “quiet,” the quietest setting is about half the volume of a vacuum cleaner, making its noise level a matter of opinion.
This large unit could be difficult to move due to its design and size, but it delivers high levels of filtration for the price. There are a variety of models from this manufacturer to choose from.
BISSELL is a well-known name in filtration and the air320 purifier evokes the feeling of nostalgia with a retro furniture look.
While the device can be portable, this might be difficult due to its size. The 20-pound device does come with a carrying handle, though. BISSELL offers a number of other models as well.
For people looking for style and function, Rabbit Air offers a well-reviewed — albeit expensive — option. These devices come in black and white, or a few famous art prints like Monet’s “Water Lilies” and Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.”
Extremely quiet on the lowest settings, you may sacrifice some function for volume and appearance with this model. CADR ratings are lower than some cheaper models, but if you’re looking for function and appearance with high-tech options, this model could suit your needs.
Another Winix, the AM90, uses the same HEPA filter as the 5500-2 and delivered virtually identical performance in our testing. It has a more contemporary design that many people are likely to find more attractive (if you prefer white—the only color option).
It adds Wi-Fi capability and a rudimentary app, and it typically costs a few dollars more than the 5500-2. The almost identical Winix AM80 lacks the AM90’s Wi-Fi capability and comes only in dark gray.
Best Rated Hepa Air Purifier – When placed into filtration systems like air cleaners and purifiers, HEPA filters can remove 99.97 percent of particles from the air.
These filters were initially used in nuclear plants, but a host of new devices use this technology in products that can help clean the air in your home.