Best Residential Air Purifier – We vetted dozens of air purifiers by evaluating their controls and interfaces for ease of use, road testing in our homes and labs, in addition to reviewing specifications and test documentations and selecting from brands we know and trust.
Given the increased focus on air purifiers of late, we decided to update our report with additional model recommendations, based on further specification reviews and road tests of reliable brands. During the pandemic, our chief engineer, Rachel Rothman, tested more than 12 models in her home, logging 100,000-plus hours of total run time, along with extensive usability tests. The devices were exposed to drying paint, kitchen fumes and even dirty diapers to measure air purification across a range of scenarios and common at-home needs. We also turned to our Lab experts, as well as outside specialists on indoor air quality, for answers to the most frequently asked questions around air purifiers.
1.Coway Airmega 200M
The Airmega’s 4-stage filtration system includes an activated-carbon layer that’s designed to capture odors, including those from a beloved — yet stinky — pet. The unit is good for room sizes up to roughly 360 square feet.
Our testers also like the easy-to-clean pre-filter, which captures hair, fur, and other large particulates before they reach the inner HEPA filters. Indicator lights give the heads up when all filters need to be cleaned or replaced.
Pros & Cons
2.Dyson Pure Hot +
This triple-duty machine is a heater, fan and air purifier all in one. It features all the same air purifying features as Dyson’s Pure Cool model, but it also includes a heater to keep your family warm and toasty all winter.
In terms of intelligence, the unit syncs with Amazon Alexa through your Echo device and can also deliver real-time air quality reports through the Dyson app.
Pros & Cons
- Multi functionality; HEPA Air Purifier. Space heater, + fan; In one; Backward airflow mode purifies without cooling or heating you
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- SENSES: Automatically senses air pollution events, initiates purification, & reports air quality levels on LCD display, including ultrafine particles (PM 2.5), allergens (PM10), volatile organic compounds (VOCs) & nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- Captures: The sealed HEPA filter captures 99.97 percent of allergens as small as 0.3 microns makes this an ideal air purifier for allergies, pets, dust, smoke, pollen and mold spores
- Projects: Projects purified air throughout the whole room; Air Multiplier technology delivers over 77 gallons per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow; Up to 350 degree of oscillation directs airflow where you need it to help make the air cleaner
- Heats: The HP04 purifying space heater can be used for long range personal heating or fast, even room heating; Heats with thermostatic control in the winter to bring the room up to the right temperature
- Connected: Wi-Fi connected home air purifier and heater; See real time reports, remotely control your machine and create schedules around your day using the Dyson Link app
- Alexa enabled: Voice control using Alexa to turn on/off, turn on auto mode, and update you on the indoor air quality
- Other product listings for non authorized 3rd party sellers are not covered by official Dyson
- Warning: Unauthorized replacement filters are not tested or verified to perform at HEPA standard; Only authentic Dyson filters are recommended to ensure a sealed system and proper functioning of the machine
This air purifier from Honeywell, another established brand in the home comfort space, comes in five different sizes that target rooms ranging from small (75 square feet) to extra large (465 square feet).
This model, previously the brand’s largest, claims to clean the air as often as five times an hour and remove up to 99.97% of super tiny airborne particles (including viruses). Since it’s HEPA-certified, our testers found this air purifier to be a superb choice for allergy sufferers because it can remove fine particles and common allergens from the air.
Pros & Cons
- EXTRA-LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 sq. feet), HEPA Filtration helps capture up to 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in Extra-large 465 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Germ Guardian True
Multi-phase filtration includes true HEPA air filter as well as a UV-C light and a Titanium Dioxide layer to kill airborne viruses | 10.25 x 6.75 x 21.5 inches and 8.55 pounds | Cycles up to 743 square feet per hour.
Germ Guardian’s AC4825E is powerful enough to deodorize, kill viruses, and filter airborne particles in rooms as large as 743 square feet. And the smaller the room, the more efficiently the purifier can work. While a room that’s 743 square feet only cycles once per hour, you’ll get three cycles per hour in a room that’s 248 square feet.
Pros & Cons
- 3-IN-1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME - True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS - Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS - Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION - The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
Four-state filtration includes a True HEPA filter and a washable AOC carbon filter | PlasmaWave technology | Smart sensors | 15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches and 15.4 pounds | 27.8 decibels | Cycles up to 360 square feet per hour.
Winix’s powerful floor model uses PlasmaWave technology instead of UV light to break down certain particulates. It’s a safer way to eliminate chemical vapors, bacteria, and pollutants without producing ozone, which can irritate lungs or make asthma and allergies worse.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
6.Pure Enrichment PureZone
Two-stage purification | Available in five colors | 8.5 x 3.3 x 2.7 inches and 0.6 pounds | Rechargeable lithium-Ion battery with up to 12 hours of operation per charge | Cycles up to 54 square feet per hour.
The PureZone Mini is a “small and mighty” air purifier that’s easy to carry with you throughout your day. It features an integrated upper handle to hook anywhere, making it easily portable.
Pros & Cons
- 2-STAGE AIR PURIFICATION: Clean your personal air from 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and odors. Stage 1: Activated carbon pre-filter; Stage 2: True HEPA filter.
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Whether upright or on its side, our innovative adjustable handle allows this portable air purifier to adapt to suit your needs
- 3 FAN SPEEDS: Find your optimal fan settings with low, medium, and high options
- IDEAL FOR TRAVEL: Weighing under 1 lb, this on-the-go small air purifier keeps your personal space clean for up to 12 hours (depending on fan speed) with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. At your final destination, plug it in for continued fresher air.
- WHAT YOU GET: Portable air purifier, 2-in-1 filter, USB charging cable, and Pure Enrichment’s guaranteed 5-Year Warranty. Our customer support team provides daily quality service and peace of mind to millions worldwide all from a brand you can trust.
Fridababy, a company known for ingenious solutions to everyday parenting problems, recently introduced a small-room air purifier designed for spaces up to 150 square feet—like a baby’s nursery. It’s on our recommended list because, not only is it meant to help filter out dust mites and the like, but it also has a built-in sound machine and nightlight.
We’re all about finding space-saving, multi-purpose products, particularly for our littles! While we have yet to review company testing data on the air purity claims, we found the sound machine and nightly aspects easy to use and the filter easy to replace.
Pros & Cons
- SLEEPY SOUNDS: Choose from two white noise options to help little ones fall asleep
- HEPA FILTER: Removes smoke, odors + pollution from the air
- LONG-LASTING: Easy-change air filter lasts for 90 days
- ADJUSTABLE FAN: Choose from three fan speeds with an auto-off timer
- COLOR NIGHTLIGHT: Pick from four nightlight color options to set the mood at bedtime
- CONTENTS: 1 Sound Machine, 1 HEPA Filter + 1 Instruction Manual
Best Residential Air Purifier – All air purifiers will require the filters to be regularly changed. After all, they are capturing and trapping harmful particles, such as mold spores and bacteria.
Some air purifiers feature washable filters, which make it easier to maintain. However, the most effective air purifiers include HEPA filtration and carbon filters, which need to be replaced. You can find the manufacturer’s requirements in the manual.