Best Room Air Purifier – It can be challenging to find a purifier that works the way you want, fits your lifestyle, falls within your price range and doesn’t look like an outdated radiator. When in doubt, it’s best to turn to tried-and-true brands and products with excellent user reviews.
You’ll also want to consider what size room the unit is capable of purifying and aim look for units with a HEPA filter (which stands for high efficiency particulate air) that removes at least 99.97% of air pollutants down to 0.3 microns.
Compact enough to fit on your desk and designed to filter up to about 129 square feet, this compact Levoit model is equipped with a HEPA filter that removes 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores and pet dander.
It’s an excellent inexpensive option that eschews technology like UV and ionization more commonly found in this price range. Instead it features a three-stage filtration system that includes a pre-filter, a HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter. And three fan settings let you control the speed and volume of the purifier.
Pros & Cons
Looking to cover a lot of square footage? Not a problem with the Alen BreatheSmart 75i Large Room Air Purifier. This air purifier cleans up to about 1,300 square feet twice an hour without making a lot of noise. In fact, Alen claims the technology in the BreatheSmart is twice as quiet as that of its key competitors, even on Turbo speed.
The Alen BreatheSmart features a HEPA Pure filter that is certified to capture 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns. This works in combination with the device’s Laser Smart Sensor, which also detects airborne particles down to 0.3 microns, to effectively clean your air of dust, pollen, allergens and dander.
Pros & Cons
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, dander, allergens, pet fur PLUS heavy odors from pets, litter boxes, cooking, stinky diapers, and garbage. Perfect for large rooms, offices, schools, and open spaces.
- ODORCELL FILTER: Helps relieve allergy and asthma symptoms PLUS includes a patented molecular conversion powder to eliminate strong household odors.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
- AIR QUALITY SENSOR LIGHT: Blue = Excellent, Orange = Fair, Red = Bad air quality (high levels of particles). On "auto mode" the sensor will adjust the speed of the fan to clean the air more efficiently.
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, casinos, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
3.HATHASPACE Air Purifier
If you have pets, you need the Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier 2.0. This large capacity air purifier—it can replace the air in a 1,500-square-foot room up to 24 times per day—features a 5-in-1 filtration system that eliminates more than 99% of allergens and pollutants, like pet dander and the dust from a litter box. It also has an activated carbon filter that removes smoke, odors and gases and a cold catalyst filter that eliminates VOCs and harmful chemicals found in cleaning products or other household items, like candles or plug-ins.
It has a washable pre-filter that keeps pet hair away from the HEPA filter to improve performance and increase life expectancy. And, it’s easy to clean—just take it out, wash it down and it’s ready to start purifying again.
Pros & Cons
- Purify your air – Our 5-in-1 filter system targets pollen, dust, pet dander, VOC’s, smoke, and odors. Superior to standard true H11 HEPA filters, H13 HEPA filters 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns and 99.95% of particles between 0.3 – 0.1 microns.
- What you get – Large smart air purifier, H13 True HEPA composite filter, washable filter, manual, 5-year warranty, award-winning customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted American brand.
- Remove odors, smoke, & VOC’s – Both an air cleaner and odor eliminator, our air purifier features a unique honeycomb activated-carbon filter that absorbs odors, smoke, and VOC’s. With a state-of-the-art fan and motor, enjoy clean air delivered quietly and efficiently in your home, bedroom, office, kitchen, basement, dorm, apartment, or living room.
- Breathe easier – Nothing feels better than breathing clean air. Read our 10,000+ reviews and see just how much our air purifier can assist and support the body’s natural response during allergy season.
- Smart air purifier – In AUTO mode, a smart air quality sensor detects pollutants in your air, adjusting the fan speed in real-time. A digital display on the unit reveals your air quality level, so you always know what you’re breathing.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Molekule Air Pro
This pick from Molekule is one of the priciest on the list, but for serious allergy-sufferers, it may be a worthwhile investment. “Air purifiers with traditional filters (like HEPA) are able to capture 99.97% of mold spores, pollen, dust, bacteria and other airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns,” explains the brand’s co-founder, president and chief technology officer Dilip Goswami.
“What they’re not able to do is capture VOCs—airborne chemicals that mostly derive from off-gassing of building materials or products in our homes or things like everyday cleaning products. Molekule’s proprietary technology, photo electrochemical oxidation (PECO), not only tackles VOCs, but also uses oxidation to destroy indoor air pollutants at molecular levels.”
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Pro is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses, bacteria and mold.
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces up to 1000 sq ft or high-traffic areas, with 3x the airflow of Molekule’s award-winning consumer devices.
- PECO-powered: Breakthrough PECO technology doesn’t just collect pollutants, it destroys VOCs, bacteria, viruses, mold, pollen, pet dander, and more.
- Particle & chemical sensors: detects VOCs and a range of air particles in three sizes, to better understand what’s in your air, from PM10 (pollen) and PM2.5 (dust), to smaller than PM1 (smoke).
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet automatically regulate fan speed based on particle levels, at noise levels ideal for day or night, as well as a 6-speed manual mode.
- Smart & connected: Easy-to-control touch-screen interface. For added convenience, connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Portable: With its vegan leather handle, Molekule Air Pro can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- Expanded air history stats track indoor air quality from one day to the next. Toggle between Day and Week View to see the quality of the air you breathe, with the ability to swipe back through the previous four weeks to identify pollutant trends.
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website
- Explore Air Score for an overall real-time snapshot of your air, or dive deeper into each air quality factor. Plus, see changes in 5-minute increments for real-time changes.
This Honeywell HPA100 might not look like much—it has all the visual appeal of a space heater—but Honeywell, no doubt, is hoping you’ll care more about what it can do. This model is designed for medium-size rooms (about 155 square feet) and features a true HEPA filter for guaranteed removal of 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns. Honeywell says that its fan can filter the air in the room five times an hour.
It’s one of the more configurable air purifiers on this list. The control panel on the top of the unit lets you set up to four different cleaning levels (which affect the fan speed and overall noise level) and has an auto-off timer option so it doesn’t run continuously.
Pros & Cons
- MEDIUM ROOM AIR PURIFIER: Recommended for medium rooms (up to 155 square feet) this True HEPA Allergen Remover Air Purifier helps capture up to 99. 97% of airborne particles as small as 0. 3 microns.
- HELPS REDUCE PARTICLES - This HEPA air purifier has 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean. It helps capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA100 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in medium 155 sq. ft. rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.filter should be replaced every 3 months
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our Allergen Plus series. This product earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE PERFORMANCE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Best Room Air Purifier – We’ve evaluated the following air purifiers by their efficiency (how many germs they claim to suck up), capacity (how much space they can keep clean), appearance (is it aesthetically pleasing?) and price. From basic models to state-of-the-art machines, here are our picks for the best air purifiers on the market right now.