Best Small Room Air Purifier – A great air purifier for small room can really improve your life—reducing allergens such as pollen and mold spores, and protecting against wildfire smoke and other kinds of smoke.
But to qualify as great, an air purifier needs to be powerful enough to clean the air in a large living room or playroom, quiet and dark enough for you to sleep near it in a bedroom, and inexpensive enough that it’s reasonable to have several spread throughout your home.
1.Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
Within 30 minutes, the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty reduced heavy smoke pollution in a 135-square-foot, 1,215-cubic-foot New York office by as much as 99.6%. In past tests, it performed equally well in a 200-square-foot, 1,600-cubic-foot New York City bedroom.
And when we tested it during ongoing smoke conditions in a vast Los Angeles conference room of nearly 10,000 cubic feet—more than twice as large as the Mighty’s specs would seemingly allow—it cut particulate pollution by almost 70% in an hour. It’s a great value, at an up-front price often lower than $200 (and about $470 over five years, adding in electricity and replacement filters).
Pros & Cons
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes.
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces 99% of volatile organic compounds and odor.
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
- [Air Quality Indicator] Pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. Brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. You can turn off the light for sleeping.
- [Filter Alerts] The air filter indicator tells you when the filters need to be replaced, and the pre-filter needs to be cleaned for maximum efficiency, based on how much air they have processed.
- [Ultra Quiet] Ultra quiet operation with noise levels ranging from 24 dB to 53 dB.
- [Timer] Schedule the unit to purify 1, 4, or 8 hours of use and conserve energy.
- [Warranty] 3-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
The Winix 5500-2 is an exceptional performer on particulates, capturing 99.9% of the smoke in our test room in just 30 minutes on high and 97.2% on its medium-high setting, where it emits an easy-to-live-with 40 decibels. In both cases, that’s a bit better than the results we got from the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty, though in practice the differences are insignificant:
Both machines, when used continuously as they are in most homes, will drop particulates to near zero in under an hour—and keep them there. We still prefer the Mighty for its lower energy consumption, smaller visual footprint, display-shutoff feature, and more attractive look, but it’s a close race.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
Another Winix, the AM90, uses the same HEPA filter as the 5500-2 and delivered virtually identical performance in our testing. It has a more contemporary design that many people are likely to find more attractive (if you prefer white—the only color option).
It adds Wi-Fi capability and a rudimentary app, and it typically costs a few dollars more than the 5500-2. The almost identical Winix AM80 lacks the AM90’s Wi-Fi capability and comes only in dark gray.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99. 97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0. 3 microns.
- Plasma wave technology safely breaks apart odors, allergens, chemical vapors, and other pollutants at the molecular level. Wattage: 65W
- AHAM verified room size of 360 sq. Ft. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kid’s bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens. CADR (Dust / Pollen / Smoke): 233 / 240 / 230
- Wi-Fi Enabled – connect with the Winix Smart App to control and monitor your air quality. Never run out of replacement filters by enabling Amazon Dash Replenishment in the Winix Smart App.
- Works with Alexa for voice commands and air Quality information.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.Blueair Blue Pure 311
The Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto is similar in capabilities to the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty and the two Winix models. It reduced smoke levels by 99.9% in 30 minutes on high and by 94.2% on medium. Its auto function, which Blueair introduced to the Blue Pure lineup in late 2020, monitors your room’s air quality and adjusts the fan speed accordingly.
And it has other features we like, including notably quiet performance, terrific energy efficiency, and a control panel that automatically dims after you adjust the settings. This model is also particularly attractive, with a tweedlike, washable cover that’s available in several muted colors (it arrives in gray; you can purchase the other colors separately).
Pros & Cons
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers up to 45% faster cleaning and up to 67% less noise than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 388sqft medium room in about 12.5 min or up to 1862qft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIETEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (23 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (3W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA & ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 311 Auto has won Wirecutter Pick – The Best Air Purifier 2021, 2020, 2019; The Spruce Recommends – Top Pick
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (
- GENUINE FILTERS FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: Replace your filter every 6 months to ensure proper functionality & only use genuine Blueair filters; Shop 311 Auto replacement filter: B08F13YBG2; Upgrade to SmokeBlock filter for enhanced removal: B0B45D9TDS
5.LEVOIT Air Purifiers
Levoit’s Core 400S offered solid performance in our testing, removing 99.1% of smoke particles in 30 minutes on high and 96.3% on its third of four speeds—the highest at which it produces less than 50 decibels of noise.
If you want a basic smart air purifier, it’s an attractive option, as it connects with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control, in addition to having its own app. But it’s typically more expensive than our top pick, the Coway Mighty, up front.
Pros & Cons
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen,dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOCs
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air quality has improved
- HANDS-FREE VOICE COMMAND: Hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant allows you to control settings when your hands are full with cooking, caring for babies and children, or playing with pets
- SCHEDULE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR ROUTINE: Program the air purifier to use different modes and fan speeds at certain times, so you can have your week planned in advance. With scheduling, you never have to worry about forgetting to change your settings
- TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE: The Core 400S is Energy Star and FCC certified, ETL listed, and a recipient of the German Design Award (2021) and iF Design Award (2021). Only use Levoit replacement filters (search B08SQQK6K7) for best results and product performance
You’d be forgiven if you gave this a quick glance and mistook it for a clock or radio, but this air purifier’s slim design makes it suited perfectly for desks and other workspaces, whether you need it to sit horizontally or vertically to accommodate laptops or other belongings.
Mold, smoke, bacteria, pet dander and other contaminants are no match for the powerful HEPA filter and ionizer duo, working in tandem to keep the air from being dirty and stale.
Pros & Cons
- REMOVES UP TO 99% OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: The Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type Air Purifier with Optional Ionizer captures particles as small as 2 microns, removing up to 99% of airborne particles and allergens such as pollen, dust, mold, pet dander, and smoke from the air so you can breathe more comfortably
- INCLUDES IONIZER: This Holmes air purifier features an optional air ionizer that helps to bind negative ions to airborne smoke, dust, and pollen to form larger particles that are more easily captured, helping to clean air more thoroughly and tackling odors
- 70 CADR: Air purifier provides a 70 CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: 3 speed settings to help you keep your air clean and pure
- SLIM DESIGN, IDEAL FOR SMALL ROOMS: Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq. ft.; can be placed vertically or horizontally anywhere, including a table or desktop.
- DURABLE: 3-year limited warranty
- HEPA type filter helps remove up to 99% of airborne particles as small as 2 microns from the air passing through it
- 3 speed settings provide options for different conditions, and optional ionizer assists in particle removal
- Slim dual positioning design can be placed vertically or horizontally to best fit your space
- Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq ft (10ft x 11ft), Smoke CADR 70
- Any Holmes AER1 Series HAPF30AT, HAPF30AO, HAPF30AH, HAPF300AP Filters or Holmes HAPF30D-U2 HEPA TYPE or Holmes HAPF300D-U2 TRUE HEPA Filter & a Holmes Arm and Hammer Carbon Filter AOR31
This mini air purifier by Molekule may be significantly more expensive than the others mentioned on our list, but that’s because it’s more powerful. By using a process known as Photochemical Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy contaminants in the air. In short, instead of trapping things like dust, mold and viruses, this air purifier actually destroys them.
But don’t worry, you don’t have to be Bill Nye the Science Guy to use this; in fact, this air purifier’s settings are extremely customizable.
Pros & Cons
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses: Molekule Air Mini is FDA-cleared as a 510(k) Class II medical device to destroy viruses & bacteria, and trap 95% of particles 0.3-1 micron in size.
- Made for smaller spaces: designed for smaller spaces up to 250 sq. ft. like studio apartments, kids’ bedrooms & home offices
- PECO-powered: Uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, allergens, bacteria, mold, chemicals & more
- With 5 fan speeds to choose from, you can customize your purification needs, from whisper quiet, to boost. For home-or-commercial healthcare use, Mini should be used on fan speed 3 or higher.
- PECO-Filter status indicator: Easily track the replacement schedule for your PECO-Filter
- Ready to purify: Comes with a 6-month filter. Automatic filter refills available. See manufacturer's website.
- Whisper quiet: With a 39-decibel Silent Mode, Air Mini is sonically unobtrusive
- Portable: With its vegan-leather handle, Air Mini can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home or business.
- App-enabled: Check filter status and change your device’s fan speed from your app, wherever you are
- Molekule PECO-Filters purify air thanks to a proprietary coating. Only Molekule-branded filters are warrantied for use with Molekule air purifiers.Lowest speed — 20 W/h Highest speed — 55 W/h
Best Small Room Air Purifier – Strong as the Mighty is, its performance is not as singular as it once was, and in recent years many other machines have closely approached our high standards.
If you prefer the looks, cost, or other features of our also-great picks, know that they match the Mighty in purifying performance.