Best Tabletop Air Purifier – A lot of the conversations surrounding air pollution revolves around the outdoors, but given that the average person spends 93 percent of their lives indoors, the quality of the air inside is just as, if not more so, important.
In fact, the air inside can be five-times more polluted than the air outside thanks to the lack of circulation in a lot of indoor spaces. If left unchecked, a lot of the pollutants hiding in the air can have damaging effects on our health, from agitating those who suffer from allergies or asthma to provoking respiratory infections. As many of us continue working remotely, or return to their offices, settle into their dorm rooms, etc. it’s important to invest in a good portable air purifier.
1.Germ Guardian True HEPA
Another reviewer warns, “The replacement True HEPA filters are a bit pricey at around MEDIUM last I checked, but they last about six months, give or take.”
Beyond collecting dust, this purifier gets lots of praise for eliminating odors. “The smell of the litter box was the primary reason I purchased this air purifier,” one reviewer writes.
“After using this air cleaner regularly for about two years, I can confidently say that it effectively and completely removes the smell of the litter box, helps control the amount of hair that floats around the room, and generally does a very good job keeping dust from accumulating in the room.”
Pros & Cons
- 3-IN-1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME - True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS - Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS - Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION - The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
One, who bought it in anticipation of a guest with bad cat allergies writes, “I put the air purifier in his bedroom and he had no allergy problems at all while he was here. Just for kicks, I put it in my own bedroom after my guest left … my own allergies disappeared!” Another reviewer who struggles with dust and pollen allergies says this purifier “has been an amazing addition to my home …
I can already feel a difference in my breathing and the air quality. I no longer wake up with a stuffy nose nor do I sneeze as much throughout the day.” And a reviewer who claims to be “allergic to everything basically” says it has “taken my allergy attacks down by 80% which is amazing! I went from taking allergy meds every day to maybe once every two weeks.”
Pros & Cons
- 【3-in-1 Efficient Filter】 removes up to 99.97% of all particles as small as 0.3 microns in diameter, when the nylon pre-filter and activated carbon layer filter out smoke & odors, to keep air clean around you and your family
- 【Note】Only suitable for TOPPIN air purifier TPAP001
- 【Note】Recommend replacing the filter at least once each 3 to 6 months, search "TOPPIN air filter" on Amazon to get a replacement filter
- 【Note】Please remove plastic packaging of new filter before using
- 【Note】After replacement, press and hold the Filter button 5s until a beep is heard to reset. Available for California
3.MOOKA Air Purifier
This Mooka air purifier is a big hit among reviewers who love the sound of gentle white noise. One reviewer who suffers from tinnitus found the sound produced by this purifier to be an unexpected boon: “If you’ve got ringing in your ears that gets super annoying when it’s quiet, this thing will prevent the ringing from consuming you.
I plan on moving the unit into my bedroom tonight to see if it will help me sleep better.” Another reviewer was afraid that the “noise level … would be hard to get used to in my bedroom, because I am so used to it being very quiet” but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it’s “really a relaxing sound.”
Pros & Cons
- [SAFE & CLEAN HEPA PURIFIER]: Equipped with 3-Stage Filtration system including Pre-filter, TRUE HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, this purifier filters out particles as small as 0.3 microns and can effectively remove odor and smoke, such as pet odor, cigarette smoke and cooking odor around your living space, with zero harmful Ozone emission certified by CARB.
- [EFFICIENT AIR PURIFICATION]: The 360-degree air intake and outlet maximize the amount of fresh and healthy air provided to all directions, improving the air circulation in your room. It can clean 60 cubic meter air per hour in normal mode.
- [EASY & SIMPLE OPERATE]: Using this air purifier couldn't be easier. It takes one single press of the same button to turn it on/off and control the fan speed, while press and hold the same button to switch on/off the light. The minimalist design makes it look elegant and sleek and fit any style of room decor.
- [WHISPER QUIET SLEEP FRIENDLY]: At low fan speed, the noise is controlled with our unique noise-reducing fan blade design. You will barely be able to hear its white noise at an arm's length. The calming blue night light will help sooth your nerve but you can also choose to turn it off to keep your room pitch black.
- [COMPACT DESIGN]: Measures only 7.50 x 7.50 x 6.50 inches. It is small enough to fit in any suitcase, to put on a desk or counter. Perfect for use in bedroom, bathroom, office, or RV or hotel room when you are traveling.
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
More than 80 percent of this air purifier’s over 20,000 reviewers give it five stars, and many call out how well it detects and removes odors. “My teenage daughter and I were sitting on the couch when she suddenly let loose with a fart,” one writes. “Maybe 1, 2, seconds later the purifier went from blue to orange. We about died laughing! It filtered that fart for about 10 minutes or so, then went back to blue.”
Many users think the Winix PlasmaWave feature is what helps the most with odors. “The PlasmaWave air ionizer also works great and neutralizes odors that might get thru the other filters and virtually eliminates cooking odors and have found it to work on odors that are produced when a kerosene heater is first lit,” one user says.
Pros & Cons
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- Product has no extra filters
5.Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type
Over 1,600 reviewers were impressed with this small-but-mighty tabletop air purifier, praising its ability to cut out cooking smells and pet odors. With its slim design, many say it’s also perfectly suited to sit atop desks or nightstands. “Nice small air cleaner that packs a real punch!” writes one reviewer. “I have one in each of our bedrooms. They are small, compact and do a great job cleaning the air.”
Another reviewer who is a prolific vaper purchased this to “help reduce the amount of vapor clouds in our family room,” and says it’s “been doing a phenomenal job … I put [it] on the end table next to where I sit and exhale my clouds in the direction of this purifier and it helps to eliminate about 90% of the vapor clouds.”
Pros & Cons
- REMOVES UP TO 99% OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: The Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type Air Purifier with Optional Ionizer captures particles as small as 2 microns, removing up to 99% of airborne particles and allergens such as pollen, dust, mold, pet dander, and smoke from the air so you can breathe more comfortably
- INCLUDES IONIZER: This Holmes air purifier features an optional air ionizer that helps to bind negative ions to airborne smoke, dust, and pollen to form larger particles that are more easily captured, helping to clean air more thoroughly and tackling odors
- 70 CADR: Air purifier provides a 70 CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: 3 speed settings to help you keep your air clean and pure
- SLIM DESIGN, IDEAL FOR SMALL ROOMS: Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq. ft.; can be placed vertically or horizontally anywhere, including a table or desktop.
- DURABLE: 3-year limited warranty
- HEPA type filter helps remove up to 99% of airborne particles as small as 2 microns from the air passing through it
- 3 speed settings provide options for different conditions, and optional ionizer assists in particle removal
- Slim dual positioning design can be placed vertically or horizontally to best fit your space
- Recommended for rooms up to 109 sq ft (10ft x 11ft), Smoke CADR 70
- Any Holmes AER1 Series HAPF30AT, HAPF30AO, HAPF30AH, HAPF300AP Filters or Holmes HAPF30D-U2 HEPA TYPE or Holmes HAPF300D-U2 TRUE HEPA Filter & a Holmes Arm and Hammer Carbon Filter AOR31
6.Hamilton Beach TrueAir
Several reviewers use the word “economical” to describe this air purifier from Hamilton Beach, including one who has six cats and struggled with both odors and dust. “I put this right next to my cat box and it has almost taken all the litter dust out of my utility room,” the reviewer writes.
And lots of reviewers specifically bought this air purifier because of the permanent filter, which means that they don’t have to order replacement filters and allows for even more cost savings. “It has a permanent filter that you just vacuum once a month,” a reviewer writes. “It’s amazing.”
Pros & Cons
- 3 Filtration Stages: Permanent HEPA grade filter captures dander & particles plus 2 replaceable carbon zeolite filters to target plus a pre filter for pet hair and larger particles
- High Performance Hepa Grade Filter: Captures 99 Percent of Pet Dander,, Pollen, and spores as Small as 3 Microns From the Air
- 2 Activated Carbon Zeolite Filters Help Reduce Unwanted Household From Pets, Smoke, and More
- Quiet and Powerful: Use Whisper Clean for Extra Quiet Operation at Night, the Medium Setting or the Quick Clean Setting for More Powerful Air Cleaning
- Easy to Clean: Permanent Hepa Grade Filter Can Be Vacuumed Clean; No Replacement Filters to Buy
Best Tabletop Air Purifier – Air purifiers take dust particles, odors, pet dander, and more out of the air, making it cleaner and easier to breathe.
To help you find the best one for you, we’ve scoured Amazon for the best options — including one for larger spaces and another that doubles as a humidifier — as praised by the most enthusiastic reviewers. But if you’d prefer a more professional take, we’ve got doctor-recommended options and a writer-tested one, too.