Best Backpacking Chair for Big Guys – Tired of sitting in the dirt? Elevate your next backpacking Chair for Big Guys trip with a minimalist seat that makes break time and chilling in camp more comfortable. We rounded up the best sit-pad and chair options on the market and tested them thoroughly (by kicking back in beautiful places) to make it easy for you to choose an option that’s right for you.
As usual with backpacking, it’s critical to keep weight and bulk to a minimum so we only considered chairs that weigh 2 lbs. or less for this list. If you’re looking for a more luxury chair for front country camping, check out our Best Camping Chairs list. We hope this research helps make your next adventure more relaxing and enjoyable than ever before!
As I mentioned above, I think that pretty much every person should invest in a high-capacity camp chair. After all, why wouldn’t you want one that is more sturdy, capable, and durable?
However, the main problem with 500lb capacity camping chairs is that they can feel like they weigh 500 pounds as well. So if you’re looking for a great resting spot while car camping, watching sports, or at a BBQ, get the big chair. Otherwise, you might want to opt for a wimpier version.
1.ALPS Mountaineering King Kong
If you’re looking for a big man camp chair, Alps Mountaineering is a name that you will see again and again. They are makers of very well-designed outdoor gear and they have a particular knack for understanding the needs of heavy, big, and tall people.
This chair has a powder-coated steel frame that is durable, scratch-resistant, and (most importantly) will keep you from ending up on the ground. This chair’s massive 800-pound capacity is sufficient for all but the heaviest of users! While I doubt that anyone who weighs a full 800 pounds would actually fit in this chair, the extra capacity does take a load off my mind!
The steel frame and extra heavy polyester fabric mean that this chair isn’t dainty, weighing in at over 13 pounds, but if you are in the market for the highest capacity chair that is still comfortable then this is it!
After all my research, this is the chair that struck the perfect balance between function, looks, and price. It solved every single one of the above issues…at least for me. People who are significantly heavier than me or have much larger legs report that the front bar can make it uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time. There are a few fixes for this in Amazon Reviews but, since I’m nowhere near the chair’s weight limit, it hasn’t been an issue for me.
So if you want an amazing plus-size camp chair at a great price, this is the one you want! And the one I will buy again if my current one ever wears out!
Pros & Cons
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame and 600D polyester fabric provides stability and comfort
- Each adjustable armrest comes with a cup holder and side pocket for maximum storage
- Includes convenient shoulder carry bag, allowing you to transport and store chair with ease
- The ALPS Mountaineering King Kong is on our best sellers list; you'll know why as soon as you take a seat
- Dimensions: 38" W x 20" D x 38" H, Weight: 13 lbs. ; Weight Capacity: 800 lbs.
If you are looking for a larger and even more comfortable option, this chair from Alpha Camp is well worth checking out. It is one of the chairs in this review without that evil leg-hurting front bar and everyone that tries it loves it. The main gripe that most people have about this chair is that it’s so big! Remember, if you’re a big guy, don’t expect to carry your chair a couple of miles. It’s meant for relaxing!
This chair has a slightly lower capacity (a mere 450 pounds) but is known to be very sturdy and stable. And it goes without mentioning that it’s super wide! In fact, it’s the widest camp-style chair I was able to find when I was doing research for this article!
All things considered, this was my second choice for a heavy-duty camp chair and it only lost because of its lower weight limit. With that being said, it is probably the most popular chair in this review and has thousands of happy users. If you’re within the weight limit then this might be your winner!
Pros & Cons
- ❤ 【Large Size】 Oversized Camping Folding Chair Size is 25.20" L x 36.61" W x 39.37"H, Weight is 13.2lbs, Large seat area with 600x 300D padded oxford fabric and padded armrest ensure comfort of this chair
- ❤【Maximum Loading Capacity】With hammer tone powder coating prevent corrosion and fading. four heavy duty steel frame were added to the bottom of the chair .sturdy steel frame construction make it can support up to 450 lbs and you're guaranteed a long lasting chair to enjoy outdoors all year
- ❤【Extra Storage Spaces】 Durable mesh cup holder and armrest at the perfect height allows you to relax in comfort.side storage pocket holds cell phone, notebook and maps,side cooler bag will keep you cool on a hot summer day!
- ❤ 【Portable And Easy Storage】Folding camping chair is easy to set up and fold in seconds. It collapses down to just 9.05″ x 38.58″ and Weights only 13.2 lbs that can be stored almost anywhere
- ❤【Supreme Comfort】 Whether you’re in your garden, at the beach, camping or hiking, this quad chair is super comfy. Even use it in the home!
3.Coleman Big and Tall
I haven’t actually sat in this chair but, if you’re thinking about avoiding a big man camp chair simply because of cost, this might be exactly what you need!
Coleman is a brand that is well known to anyone who has ever gone camping and their experience shows with this chair. Every review I’ve read is simply glowing that they can provide such a strong chair at such a great price. It has a 500-pound capacity, an extremely roomy 24″ wide seat, and no bar at the front that will hurt your legs.
If you need a bunch of seats for group camping or simply want to save some money, this is the seat you need!
One of the best outdoor brands out there, Coleman is known for its affordable, quality products – and this chair is no exception.
It’s comfortable, durable, and affordable – everything you can expect from a Coleman product. But how does it compare to the other heavy duty chairs?
Compared to the ALPS chair, this chair is both lighter and has a smaller capacity. Weighing in at 7.75 lbs, it’s almost half the weight of the King Kong chair. Of course, that does mean it has a much smaller weight capacity (around 325 lbs). Between the two, I’d suggest Coleman if you intend on going on hikes, and ALPS if you plan on going car camping.
It also comes with a cooler, which I thought was a really useful addition. The cooler can store up to 4 cans, so you’ll have a fresh, icy drink ready to go anytime.
Pros & Cons
- Extra-large camping chair provides ample space for lounging
- Oversized seat and large feet offer exceptional stability
- Seat Drain system empties collected standing water from the seat
- CellPort water-resistant cell phone sleeve for storing electronic devices in wet conditions
- Steel frame supports up to 600 pounds and provides long-lasting use
- Department Name: Unisex-Adult
- Included Components: Chair
- Carry Bag
- Material Type: Synthetic
Sometimes you don’t need a lot of bells and whistles to make a good product. Sometimes you just need to do a few things right. This chair is a testament to that statement.
The first thing you’ll notice is the breathable mesh. This is a welcomed addition that will make all the difference during those hot summer days. But the design improvements don’t stop there.
The Kijaro chair also sports a dual lock system, which allows you to quickly assemble and disassemble the chair with a simple push of a button. This is perfect if you don’t want to mess around and just want to sit down and have a cold drink.
I must mention that at 45.7 inches, this chair is a bit higher than most other chairs. This can be great if you’re a taller person, but if you’re short it could be slightly uncomfortable.
Pros & Cons
- -This portable Dual Lock chair gives you a premium seating experience with no-sag seating, durable diamond ripstop polyester, and breathable mesh on seat back
- -The Dual Lock chair is perfect to take with you whether you are tailgating, camping, or watching your favorite sports teams
- -Includes: 2 cup holders, organizer with zip & mesh pockets, carry strap attached to chair, and carry bag
- -Supports up to 300 pounds. Product Weight- 9.4 pounds. Seat Dimensions (Height x Depth x Width): 20 x 16 x 22 inches
- -Locks open for extra stability/ Locks shut for easy transport
With measurements of 25 x 30.5 x 42 inches, you can see why I’m not exaggerating when I say this is a big boy (or girl…or bear) chair. After all, it can hold people weighing up to 500 lbs, so you know the manufacturers weren’t messing around when they built this thing. The height also makes it easy to get out of the chair, which can be a problem sometimes.
On the negative side, the armrests could use more padding, and it only comes in one color scheme, but other than that Big Bear XXL chair is a great choice for big people/bears.
Pros & Cons
- THE ADULT CAMPING CHAIR- The Sports Chair with Side Table by Oniva, a Picnic Time brand, is a lightweight, outdoor folding chair with sturdy aluminum frame made to withstand some heavy, grownup relaxing
- FEATURES GALORE - The accessories panel on this picnic chair offers a variety of pockets to hold personal items, an insulated bottled beverage pouch, zippered security pocket, and a sturdy side table that folds out
- SIZE MATTERS - The extra-wide seat of this beach chair for adults is 19 inches across, made of durable polyester canvas with padded armrests and boasts a 300-lb weight capacity
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE - No more awkward carries! This portable travel chair has an adjustable shoulder strap plus two handles for easy transport at the beach, the park, the campground, the lawn - anywhere
- BUILT TO LAST Lifetime Guarantee - Product quality backed by the Picnic Time Family of Brands, a family-owned business in California
6.Mossy Oak XL
Back to basics with this elegant camping chair. There are three colors to choose from, each representing a shade of nature, and the design brings comfort, stability, and ease-of-use.
Steel tubing has been used for the frame, and that steel is black powder coated for extra durability, and to also give a clean finish. The 600D polyester material is rated for up to 400 pounds, and will wick away moisture, drying quickly (something that is important when you are in the great outdoors). The fabric is double-layered in key areas, and there is a foam pad stitched into the back for extra comfort.
The seat is extra-wide, so you will not be pinched when you do sit. It folds and unfolds extremely quickly, perfect for camping, the beach, or your lawn at home. The Mossy Oak Camping Chair only weighs in at 8.5 pounds and comes with a black carry bag that will protect it while in storage and make it easy to take everywhere with you.
There is a built-in 4-can insulated cooler in the arm, zippered for easy access. On the opposite arm, there is a solid fabric cup holder, large enough for almost all drinks, and featuring a metal eyelet draining hole. A great chair to relax in comfort.
Pros & Cons
- DURABLE: Our camp chairs for adults heavy duty are built from steel tubing frame with black powder coating and 600D polyester material to support up to 400 lbs. The fabric is double layered and includes a foam upper back pad for comfort and support.
- COMFORTABLE: Over-sized camping chairs for heavy people provide a comfortable wide seat for enjoying your favorite outdoor activities. It also works great at home for replacing basic lawn chairs or for extra outdoor seating when entertaining guests.
- VERSATILE: Ideal sports chairs for adults to enjoy for sport like soccer and baseball, tailgating, or any other outdoor venue. This lightweight and collapsible chair is equally useful and convenient for hunting, fishing, or relaxing outdoors.
- PORTABLE: Weighing only 8.5 pounds, these oversized camping chairs are lightweight and packs away quickly in the included black carrying bag with draw cord opening and easy to carry shoulder strap.
- CONVENIENT: These camp chairs for adults feature a built-in 4-can insulated cooler with a dual zippered handle on the left arm, and a solid fabric, large cup holder with a metal eyelet drain hole on the right arm. The cooler can also make for storage.
What To Know Before Buying Backpacking Chair for Big Guys
Type Of Chair
There are many different camping chairs out there, so it is good to know what you are getting into before purchasing one. The differences between the chairs can determine the weight they can carry and the features which can be included. Let’s take a closer look.
Traditional camping chairs are the most common and are the chair which you will see around most campfires and in most campgrounds. They have a sturdy build and are raised from the ground (usually at a similar height to regular chairs). They are comfortable, flexible, and can be folded for easy storage.
Portable camping chairs are similar to traditional chairs but more commonly sit closer to the ground. They are perfect for hunting and fishing, and anything else where you have to keep a low-profile. Being low to the ground, these chairs are sometimes hard to get out of, especially if you are a bigger guy.
Hybrid camping chairs are still collapsible camping chairs, but they often feature a lot of luxury features which make the chair more comfortable. This can make them bulkier and more expensive, so you will have to weigh up cost versus functionality.
Director’s Chairs look like the chairs that directors use on movie sets. They have a full seat, good sturdy back, and solid arms. The arms are usually rigid yet padded, so they can be comfortable, but offer more durability over time than comfort. The back keeps you in an upright position, protecting your back and posture, and the chair will fold flat for transport.
Construction And Materials
Regular camping chairs are strong and tough, but we are looking for extra-strong and extra-tough. We need chairs which are going to hold up under extreme conditions. You want the best chair out there. This often means a frame which is well put together and crafted from iron, steel, or aluminum.
For the best mix of weight and strength, we recommend powder-coated aluminum. This material is strong and light while being perfect for a folding chair.
Then we come to the part you sit in. You want to combine a strong frame with a supportive and comfortable seat material. Heavy-duty materials like polyester and nylon will cradle you while holding up to the elements too. You want a material which is waterproof and UV-resistant. Mesh fabrics will give breathability. Look for the stitching on the material; this is where the weak points are. Double-stitching is preferred. If you want more comfort than just the fabric, then you can look for extra padding too.
Comfort And Capacity
Most chairs are rated for capacity. Heavy-duty camping chairs are usually rated for 300 to 800 pounds. This capacity is usually below what the chair can actually hold, but we still do not recommend toeing the line. Choose a chair which can comfortably hold all of your weight to prevent the frame from becoming damaged over time. The more the chair can hold, the better it will be in the long run.
Choose a chair based on comfort, too. The chair should have the basic function of holding you, but that does not mean that it should not be as comfortable as possible. Back support is essential. You can also look for a chair which has a footrest so that you can put your feet up by the fire.
When you are relaxing, you want somewhere to store your belongings, such as phone, wallet, and keys. Look for a chair with pockets to store all of these items. A table is also handy and can be used to lay a book to read, a notepad to write, and snacks to eat. A cup holder is never an unwelcome addition for those hot or cold drinks by the fire.
Seat Height And Width
How often have you thought about the height of a seat?
Probably not very often. In fact, when we are buying chairs, we don’t often think about it, choosing by accessories and comfort instead, but seat height and width are all about your comfort. If you have ever sat in a chair for a long time, your comfort can suffer, especially if it is the wrong height or width.
If the seat is too high, your legs can hang down, and the backs of your thighs can press into the material. It can quickly become uncomfortable. This adds pressure to the backs of your knees and can cause damage over time.
A chair with a seat that is too low can also be uncomfortable. You may need to extend your legs instead of allowing them to sit in a natural position. This is especially true for larger people.
The width also adds to your comfort. Even an inch too narrow can cause the seat to pinch at you when you are sitting. If you are in doubt, always go for a chair that is too wide rather than a little too narrow.
If you are going on a long camping trip, then a chair which has a lot of portability is a welcome thing.
Does the chair fold up? How small and compact does it fold up? We find that the best chairs come with a bag which the chair can go into once it is folded. Camping chairs are generally not the smallest items in the world so a case with a handle or shoulder strap can set a chair apart from another.
If you are looking for a heavy-duty camping chair, then nothing says durability more than an extended warranty. If a product is built to last, then it will usually come with a warranty, some insurance that the company believes in their product.
A camping chair should not be something which you spend a whole lot of money on, but you always get what you pay for. The chairs on our list are not the cheapest chairs out there, but they are the most affordable. They are the chairs which will last you for a long time, saving you from repairs and replacements (and, let’s face it, you will likely be replacing a chair instead of repairing it).
If you choose extras for your chair, be prepared to pay slightly more.
How to choose & Editor’s Choice chair
So this was my current list with best camping chairs for heavy people. Many of them are with a similar structure, folding and with soft armrests. This type remains relatively large in one dimension only. The other type is with solid armrests and such chairs remain large in two dimensions when packed, but they become thin and you can store them in narrow spaces at home or in your trailer.
Other than that, this is just a matter of features and bonuses. So you might want to consider:
- Padding: Not all of them are padded but if this is about summer camping perhaps you do not need this.
- Storage pouches: This is always useful to have, the more the better.
- Cup holders: This is surely a bonus.
- Locking mechanisms. This extra bonus is rare, but it may be very useful to have.
- Carry bag: This is good to store the chair and keep it clean from dust at home, and also to carry short distances.
- Seat size: All of them are big, but there are differences so check the links in the text.
- Seat height: This is important if you are particularly tall or particularly short.
Then there is the price as well, but all of these chairs are quite affordable and with reasonable prices for what they offer. In any case, just follow the links to see more and to check for the updated prices.
This probably won’t come as a huge shock to you, but not all chairs are created equal.
There are cheap, plastic ones at sale at Walmart – but those are not suitable for anyone over 12 years old.
Then come the standard folding chairs, which are fine, but have a limited weight capacity (usually around 200 or 300 lbs.) That might be ok for some, but they are not suitable for heavier people.
And then we have the heavy duty camping chairs. These are larger, sturdier, and a lot more comfortable than the previous options. They are also a bit pricier, but the added support and comfort are well worth the price.
They do offer a lot of bells and whistles, so here are a few ways you can decide on choosing the best one for yourself.
Let’s face it – comfort is probably the most important deciding factor when it comes to purchasing a chair.
This is especially true for camping chairs since you’ll be spending a lot of time in them, and you want them to be as cushy and cozy as possible.
Several factors decide how comfortable a camping chair is. For one, the amount of padding it has – the more the better. Luckily, most of the high-quality heavy camping chairs come with a ton of padding already, so you’re covered there.
Additionally, armrests and back support play a critical role in deciding how you’ll feel after several hours sitting in that chair. Look for chairs that are designed with back and neck support in mind – they usually mention it in their product descriptions quite prominently.
In all honesty, this should probably be the first thing you look at.
After all, it doesn’t matter how comfortable the chair is if it can’t support your weight effortlessly.
Most heavy duty chairs have a minimum of 300 lbs. capacity – that’s for starters. Some overachievers (Like ALPS King Kong chair) boast an impressive 800 lbs. capacity, while most other chairs are somewhere in the middle.
If you’re in doubt, always choose a chair with a higher weight capacity since it can support you AND anything else you decide to have with you while sitting down.
Normal camping chairs are made out of cheap materials and you’ll be lucky if they last one summer.
Heavy duty chairs, on the other hand, are built to last for ages.
With a reinforced frame and durable fabric, most of these chairs can easily hold people weighing 300+ pounds without even creaking once.
Now, this sturdy design does come with a cost, which is the added weight. This leads perfectly into the next section.
As I said above, one downside of these types of chairs is that they are fairly heavy. After all, they have to be to support heavier individuals. When you add in all the other gear you have to carry – tents, camping tables, cooking utensils, and so on, it can add up.
Luckily, most people who are interested in this type of camping are usually car campers so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue – but it’s still worth pointing out.
Looking on the bright side, added weight means these chairs are also larger sizes. That means they can comfortably fit even the heaviest of individuals with ease.
And lastly, we come to any additional features these chairs might offer.
These include (but are not limited to):
- Cup holders
- Storage pockets & pouches
- Mini coolers
- Carry bags
- Adjustable armrests
- And many others
Now, inclusion or absence of these features shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. But, an added perk (like a cooler) can be the cherry on top that turns a good chair into a great chair.
Best Backpacking Chair for Big Guys – Folding camping chairs currently on the market are typically with a weight capacity of around 300 lb (136 kg) or so. This may be good enough for most of the users but clearly, this cannot be strong enough for some heavy and large people. This is why I have decided to present this list with extra strong chairs with the capacity range mentioned above. They are strong because of their frames that are usually built from powder-coated steel, and because of their high-denier value fabric.
So why the upper limit of 1000 lb? This is simply because this is the upper limit available. I have not seen any chair on the market with a bigger capacity. Anyway, who would need it?
How about the lover 400 lb limit? Well, there is no particular reason except that I wanted to show a very exclusive group so this is well above the typical capacity mentioned above. If you need something with a lower capacity, please check my list with folding camping chairs.