Best Camping Chair for Back Support – Not all camping chairs are born equal! The best camping chairs for a bad back should help you appreciate your camping experience, whether while having a beer or waiting for a catch. The KingKamp Camping Chair should keep your spine supported while providing the necessary comfort.
Camping is a great activity that is enjoyed by many people of all ages. Kids love to run around and play, and adults like the calm and break from hectic work lives. Having a good camping chair is a must have no matter what. And if your back tends to give you issues or you like to have extra lumbar support, we suggest getting the best camping chair for bad backs to keep you comfy. Although it is often referred to has “roughing it”, it doesn’t have to be rough on your back. You want to make sure you are comfortable around your campsite. Having a bad back that gets stiff and sore is no fun when you are enjoying the outdoors. Get the right chair with the right support to make you a happy camper.
This camping chair — 28.5 x 27 x 36.5 inches — features padded armrests and support for your drink, with a padded cushion for lumbar support. It weighs below 12 pounds and can hold up to 300 pounds. When not in use, it can be folded and stored inside a carry bag made with two shoulder straps.
It’s made with resistant polyester fabric, a steel frame, and designed for individuals 5 foot 8 inches and taller. Although its price is steeper than the previous product, this model comes with a two-year warranty ($$$.)
Note: This product comes in black/grey, camo, lime/grey, and navy/gray colors.
If you’re suffering from severe back pain and worried about remaining seated for a long time, this might be a model worth looking into. The ergonomic design helps to align your upper body to remove neck, shoulder, and lower-back tensions.
Whether you’re fishing by a river or enjoying a sunny afternoon with friends, the chair should make you feel at ease.
Reviewers could sit in any position and still feel comfortable, whether curled reading a book or toasting marshmallows by the fire.
If you need to regularly get up and stretch to avoid bad back pain, you’ll likely enjoy this seat. It’s designed to make your camping trip comfortable, even while sitting for long periods.
Keep in mind that this model isn’t adjustable. If this feature is important to you, have a look at the KingCamp Camping Chair.
- Award winning, patented, lumbar supportive design aligns your body posture to provide relief to your spine and ease tension throughout your back
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY - Best in the marketplace! Durability Guaranteed. See manufacturer for complete details. Contact Strongback Chair directly for warranty issues after 30 days of purchase. Warranty not valid on 3rd party purchases
- Spacious ergonomic seat designed to align hips and back for maximum comfort and relaxation; Made for people 5'8" and over (see the STRONGBACK Guru Chair for people 5’7” and under)
- Easy to use and lightweight - the perfect portable chair for camping, travel, picnics, beach trips, sports, concert events and other outdoor activities; includes a backpack style carry bag and cupholder
- Heavy-duty, durable construction with a 300-pound weight capacity
- Improved patented durable frame-integrated lumbar support with stronger rivets for stability
This camping chair comes with adjustable lumbar support and can hold up to 350 pounds. It can be folded into the included carry bag and carried over your shoulder.
It weighs just over 11 pounds and measures 23.5 x 23.5 x 41 inches when in use. This seat includes various storage pockets. You’ll also find an insulated storage space within the armrest — large enough to fit three cans of soda.
This model includes a cup holder and a magazine or tablet side hanger. It’s made of steel tubes and sturdy black and white polyester fabric. Lastly, this product is one of the least expensive models ($$).
The KingKamp camping chair is my best overall seat. This model can be adjusted for optimal lumbar support and includes padding for comfort.
Users love the pocket design. Some of them have even placed a small pillow inside the head pocket. This adds comfort and support to the neck.
If you don’t want to put a heavy load on your wallet, yet are still looking for a comfy and convenient chair, this might be a seat for you. It should provide enough storage and pockets to keep your belongings organized.
Some reviewers wish that the carry bag’s straps were longer for convenience. If you need to transport the chair over a long distance, we’d recommend looking at the Strongback Elite Chair.
- 【4-Fold Lounge Chair】The chaise lounge chairs with triangle locking system, which allow you to choose from different levels for personalized comfort. You can as bed / camping cot, backrest bed or chair. Applied at beach, patio, pool, lawn, garden, deck, office Nap, bedroom, balcony, or as a temporary bed for your guest. Whatever children, adults or elders all could have a leisure time on it.
- 【Sturdy and Comfortable】Padded Chair Wider and larger than most folding lounge. Size: 78.7x26.7in (L*W), wider 9CM and longer 10CM than common lounge chair, more space,more comfort. Double bungee design on the connecting part of the seat part and pipe structure part, provide all-round support. 600D oxford fabric plus 1.5cm thickness PU with the advantage of aging resistant, uvioresistant, smooth, waterproof, oil-proof. More breathable and ventilated compared to other material.
- 【Heavy-duty Lounge Chair Outdoor】Features from sturdy aluminum seat posts and 22X1.0mm steel leg posts, the folding lounger is sturdy enough to hold people up to 330lbs. With powder coating finish, waterproof and antirust. Footrest cover and foot pads make it slip resistant on hard ground surfaces.
- 【Quick Open & Fold】No tools needed! Just fold everything out, and you're done. Only spend your few seconds. **Please check that the back bracket snaps into the slot when adjust the position.
- 【Padded Pillow & Side Pocket】Include a large organizer pocket for storing your cell Phone, keys, water bottle, toys, earplugs & More. The pillow is adjustable and completely removable, serve as a headrest, lumbar support or for other support purposes. Easy for washing and providing a more comfortable experience.
3.Timber Ridge Camping Chair
This camping chair features a high frame — 38.5 inches — with a width and length of 22.5 and 23 inches. It’s also ergonomic and includes padded armrests.
The seat provides a messenger-style carry bag measuring 38 x 9.4 inches. The entire product doesn’t weigh more than 13 pounds.
The sturdy steel frame and quality fabric are designed to carry a weight capacity of 300 pounds. It also contains a 180-degree rotatable cup holder under the right armrest for convenience. Nevertheless, this product is one of the cheapest models available ($).
Note: This product comes in black, blue/grey, camouflage, and earth colors.
This product might be ideal for anyone looking for a budget-friendly, ergonomic product with a high back. It’s also available in various classy colors to fit all tastes and styles.
You should still be able to keep your cold drink at an arm’s distance while your forearms are comfortably resting on the padded armrests. Besides, users love that the cup holder pivots to save space when not needed.
In addition, the ergonomics provide support to both the waist and upper back. The padded armrests combine well with this for optimum comfort.
Overall, this is a great value product. It combines high back support, comfort, and is affordable for most budgets.
This model can be heavy for some reviewers. If you’re looking for a light product to carry easily, the Strongback Elite Folding Camping Chair might be a good alternative.
- Large Space & High Back: Our folding camping chair has 22 inches high back, provides you stable support. Weight is 13.67 lbs. Width is 22.5 inches. Folding outdoor chair provides extra comfort for long-time use
- Excellent Loading Capacity: The folding outdoor chairs is made of high-quality polyester and heavy duty steel frame. Heavy duty camping chair support up to 400 lbs.
- Fully Padded & Cup Holder Included: Smooth foam padded seat and detachable padded arm rest with swivel cup holder on side. This camp chair can provides a comfortable experience for your outdoor life
- Easy Open & Easy Storage: Our portable camping chair can be folded into a smaller size for easy storage and easy carriage. The fold up chairs for outside comes with a carry bag so you can take it to anywhere easily
- Versatile: This outdoor chair is suitable for all your outdoor life, like hiking, camping, traveling, fishing or watching sporting events. We back our products with a full 1 year manufacturer's warranty against any defective workmanship and material.
This lounging chair measures 34 x 31 x 45 inches and reclines into 31.5 inches in height. It also has a side tray to place drinks, tablets, or magazines.
The seat comes with a head pillow and an adjustable canopy to keep the sun away. Once folded, the chair measures 31 x 38 x 6.25 inches and has a snap-lock to prevent the seat from unfolding.
It’s also made with a steel frame, but coated with a rust-resistant powder to withstand moisture and water. It weighs 28 pounds and is designed to take on up to 360 pounds. This high-end product is more expensive than other models, yet offers unique features and benefits ($$$$).
Note: This product comes in 15 different colors and various widths — 26, 31, or 33 inches.
If you’re looking to take naps while enjoying camping, this camping chair should meet your needs. Its ergonomic shape will support your bad back when you’re seated, and it can also hold your entire body in a reclined position. The pillow should also provide neck support while your upper body remains in the shade under the canopy.
You’ll be able to keep your entertainment and drinks handy with the side tray table. If you happen to leave the chair under the rain, the anti-rust coat should protect the frame from corrosion. Lastly, reviewers love how sturdy the chair feels, even when handling heavy weights.
If you like to take naps and relieve your entire body from gravity, this reclining model offers a seated or lying position. Keep your belongings closeby and stay in the shade, whether to get some rest or read your favorite book.
Even folded, this chair typically takes more space than other camping chairs. If you’re looking for a more portable and compact option, we’d suggest looking into the recliner version of the Strongback Low-Gravity Beach Chair.
- Zero-gravity outdoor recliner chair provides a stress-free weightless feel to relax muscles and reduce stress
- Adjustable sun shade offers protection from the sun; drink tray included can be placed on either side of recliner
- Seating made of woven PVC coated polyester for versatility and strength; powder coated steel frame to prevent rusting
- Reclines and locks in any position for personalized comfort; padded ergonomic headrest included
- Folds instantly to 6.25" x 38" x 31" for easy storage or transport; holds up to 360 lbs. capacity
5.Portal Oversized Zero
This reclining camping chair can go back as far as 170 degrees with a total length of 72 inches. A simple locking system allows the chair to remain in place once you’ve set your desired position. The robust frame can take on up to 350 pounds.
The chair weighs a total of 28 pounds and measures 29 x 7.5 x 37 inches once folded. It includes an adjustable head pillow, extra-large armrests, and a padded seat. Unlike other models, the back is made of a breathable mesh material.
It even includes a tray that can be set-up either on the side of the chair or underneath. Either way, it can hold up to 4.5 pounds. While it’s more expensive than most other models, it still offers excellent value for the quality and features offered ($$$).
Note: This product comes in either dark blue or dark green/black.
This camping chair is suitable for anyone in need of a high-end product providing optimum comfort. It can be used both in a seating or a 170-degree reclined position.
Even if you fall asleep, the locking system should keep you safe in the set position. Don’t forget to move the pillow to the ideal height to support your head, neck, or even as lumbar support for your lower back.
Reviewers like the breathable material. It helps prevent sweating and avoids perspiration marks on the fabric.
This model allows you to enjoy your camping vacation, whether while seated or sleeping. It combines comfort, convenience, high-quality material and design for a long-lasting model.
If you’d like to remain in the shade, however, have a look at the Bliss Hammocks Zero Gravity Chair. It comes with a canopy to keep your upper body cool.
- COMFORTABLE ZERO GRAVITY CHAIR: This zero gravity recliner is sturdy enough to hold people up to 350lbs. The Length of lounge chair when fully reclined is 72 inches, it is large enough for big and tall people 6'2".
- MULTI-FUCTIONAL RECLINER: Breathable mesh back connected to padded seats, adjustable padded pillow for both headrest and lumbar support, side table for drinks and phone storage.
- ADJUSTABLE RECLINING SYSTEM: Recliner is designed with a locking system and can be adjusted to any positions with 0-170 degrees as your preferences, adjust the place which fit yourself and lock. Safety!
- OVERSIZED DIMENSION: Set up size is 30" L x 29" W x 44" H, off ground seat height is 22", back height is 29", seat width is 21". Folding size is 29" L x 7.5" W x 37 " H.
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Comes in an intact product, eliminates time-consuming assembly steps, easy folding and compact structure is suitable for any patio occasions, such as poolside, yard, beach or balcony.
- NO WORRY BUYING: The armrest of this zero gravity chair is made of natural wood. Natural wooden armrest is environment friendly and more fragile than plastic armrest. They should not be exposed to the sun or rain for a long time. We recommend that you should fold the product and store it indoors after using. If you have any quality problem whthin one year, please feel free to contact with us at any time.
6.PELLIOT Ultralight Chair
If you’re someone who has a bad back, and is always on the go, or who likes to move around your campsite a lot, then the PELLIOT camping chair might be just what you need!
Not only does the PELLIOT come with a heavy duty lumbar support system, but it also comes with a fully cushioned seat and back support.
Coming in at just over 7 lbs, it’s definitely the lightest chair on our list, not to mention, folds down to just 7.4 x 7.4 x 36.6 inches.
Don’t let the weight fool you though! This chair is just as tough as all the rest on our list.
It has a heavy duty steel frame and fabric and can hold up to 300 lbs!
The PELLIOT also comes with a 4-can side cooler, as well as storage for phones, books and magazines enabling you to keep all of your essentials within an arm’s length away.
The one thing that seemed a little weird about this chair was the size of the cup holders. They could have made them a little bigger in order to fit canned drinks and bottled water in them a little more easier.
Overall, this chair is a solid choice! It’s sturdy, lightweight, has plenty of storage, and offers lumbar support for your back.
- ULTRALIGHT AND COMPACT: Weights only 2.4 lbs. The foldable size is 16 x 5.5 x 3.5 inches. The carry bag is included, you can carry this chair to everywhere such as camping, hiking, backpacking, picnic, party, day hike, family holidays, BBQ, trips, vacation and fishing, also you can use indoor.
- DURABLE AND STABLE: The aluminum alloy frame can supports weight up to 330 lbs. Big rubber feet grip suits both soft and hard ground, making you sit stably.
- EASY TO SET UP: The frame is linked with elastic rope, the whole chair is in preassembly status, you only needs a few seconds to set up or fold up this lightweight chair.
- VERSATLITY: The breathable mesh design makes sit comfortable. We provide the best experience to all of our customers. Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
- SUPER COMFORT: Seat Height 15 inches. Unique and ergonomic seat design gives you the best seat experience allowing you to relax. Breathable and soft seat net makes you feel comfortable while you sit.
Selecting the Best Camping Chairs for Bad Backs
Here are the main elements I evaluated when selecting a camping chair:
- Good lumbar support to avoid making a bad back worse
- Type of camping chair.
- Weight capacity.
- Seat’s weight.
- Accessories and storage space.
< id="tab-con-32">Good Support
For all of us suffering from a bad back, a proper camping chair with lumbar support is critical. This means that the seat should be ergonomically designed for this purpose.
High-back models are preferable as they allow better comfort and encourage a straight sitting position. Besides, you’ll find that some products include straps to adjust the seat’s lumbar support, as well as enhanced lower-back padding.
Bottom line: always looks for a camp chair with lumbar support.
< id="tab-con-33">Type of Camping Chair
Before selecting your camping chair, you’ll need to know what kind of chair you’re looking for. There are mainly two types:
You’ll find camping chairs almost sitting on the floor, such as the Strongback Low-Gravity Beach Chair. While it may be challenging to get in and out of it, they make fantastic options when chilling on a beach or by a lake.
Reclining seats — such as the Bliss Hammocks Zero-Gravity Chair — might be the most versatile models. They allow both a sitting and resting position. The latter allows full pressure to be lifted from the lower back potentially helping your bad back..
< id="tab-con-34">Weight Capacity
Weight capacity is an element that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Most seats should be able to carry at least 300 pounds. A few camping chairs, however, can withstand up to 350 pounds, such as the PORTAL Oversized Zero Gravity Recliner Chair.
For heavier weights, you’ll need a seat with a steel frame and high-quality polyester fabric.
Armrests contribute to the stability and strength of the seat. Furthermore, they’re important for comfort and maintaining a proper seating position. The best camping chair for bad back is unlikely to come without wide and padded armrests.
Campers typically travel over 136 miles from their home. With that in mind, a compact and portable camping chair can be more convenient to carry than a bulky one — even more so if you have lots of other camping gear to bring along.
The first element to consider is the weight of the chair. Not only is a light model easy to transport, but it should also keep your back healthier. Seats generally range from 8 to 30 pounds, but some are even heavier than this.
Heavier camping chairs can often handle more pressure. You’ll need to find the right balance between weight capacity and the product’s mass. Before purchasing one, it’s best to lift the seat and carry it over a short distance to see how it feels.
The Strongback Low-Gravity is the lightest in this at 8.5 pounds, whereas the heaviest are the Bliss Hammocks and Portal Oversized chairs.
Most camping chairs are foldable; however, not all come with a carry bag. Yet, this convenient feature makes the seat easier to move and transport.
An important aspect of the storage pouch is the strapping system. Two straps are preferable compared to a single one. The weight of the camping chair is then spread over both shoulders, preventing further back pain.
< id="tab-con-37">Accessories and Storage Space
While they may seem unnecessary and luxurious, a camping chair with pockets, a drinks holder, or a tray can be more useful than most may think. When suffering from back pain, any movement can be the source of trouble. Ensuring that your drink, book, tablet, or other devices are handy is, therefore, critical.
Ensure that the camping chair comes with at least a drink holder, ideally one that’s insulated. In addition, look for a sturdy tray to hold other items.
Also, a headrest providing storage space isn’t only convenient, but it can also provide nice-to-have cushioning and neck support.
Having back pain doesn’t mean that your camping trip should turn uncomfortable. The best camping chair for bad back should make you feel at ease, even when sitting for long periods.
Our winner in this category is the KingKamp Camping Chair. It’s sturdy, adjustable, and can take on a large amount of weight.
It also includes more pockets and storage space than most other camping chairs. Finally, this model is compact and can be easily folded into the included carry-on bag.
The most important feature to look for when deciding on a chair for your bad back is that it has lumbar support!
What is lumbar support?
Lumbar support refers to the five vertebrae in the spine that are located between the diaphragm and the sacrum. This area is referred to as the lumbar region.
Chairs that claim to have “lumbar support”, will have extra support, specifically designed to help keep your spine properly aligned in its natural position.
By keeping your spine properly aligned, your muscles won’t have to work as hard in order to support your back, which should help to relieve, if not eliminate your back pain.
Having a camping chair with lumbar support means nothing if it’s made from poor quality materials.
First, you want to make sure that the frame is made of a strong material such as steel. And not just any steel frame will do! It needs to be thick. I recommend something over 20mm.
Something else to look for is a frame that is powder coated. This not only looks better, but it will give your chair better protection against the elements.
The fabric material is something else to consider! You don’t want a chair with a low-quality fabric for its seat and back support. Over time a poor quality material will stretch and begin to deteriorate, which in turn can make for a very uncomfortable chair.
I recommend looking for a chair that has a heavy duty polyester fabric with at least a 400D (denier) fabric rating!
In case you don’t know, the denier rating is a measurement that determines how strong a fabric is. The higher the number, the stronger the fabric. All of the chairs on our list have a denier rating of 600, making super durable and waterproof.
I don’t care how much back support a chair has, if it’s too small for you, it’s not going to do you or your back much good. On the flip side, if the chair is too big, you could be doing just as much harm to your back as with a small chair.
Make sure to choose a chair that matches your body size. This includes your height as well as your weight. The last thing you want is for your chair to collapse on you while enjoying a hot cocoa around the campfire!
Now that we know we’re looking for something a bit more elaborate than a basic camp chair, let’s discuss a few of the main considerations to make while shopping for the best camping chair for a bad back.
Here are a few of the most significant factors to look for in a great camping chair for bad backs:
If you suffer from poor posture or lower back pain, choosing a chair with built-in lumber support will give you great comfort.
Back pain is no fun, especially when you’re trying to relax. The best camping chairs for a bad back will have lumbar support built-in, sometimes in the form of an extra cushion or pillow.
The overall quality of a product is in large part determined by the quality of the individual materials and components that it is made up of. That said, camping chairs consist of several parts and multiple types of materials (from heavy plastics to rubber and lightweight metals) so it is important to thoroughly check or research before purchasing.
In chairs of any sort, let alone the kind you use for relaxing out in the middle of nowhere, the level of comfort and support added by cushions and padding is vastly important. It is probably the single greatest factor that influences how comfortable the chair is overall (outside of the general quality of materials).
The best camping chairs for bad backs come with extra padding and supportive cushions specifically for the lower back and neck. If you are considering buying a camping chair, for your bad back, and it doesn’t come with extra cushion or padding, you may want to continue searching instead of making that purchase.
As with human beings, and most things in life, size, and shape of camping chairs vary greatly. And, depending on how bad your back is, and what part of it bothers you the most, the size and shape of camping chair that is best for supporting your bad back will vary also.
Generally speaking, camping chairs for bad backs come in larger sizes. Many camping chairs for bad backs even come on extra-large frames. The more room you have for lounging, and the more room for extra padding, the better the chair is for your aching body.
One feature that many folks shopping for camping chairs tend to overlook is whether or not the chair comes with footrests. At first glance, or thought, footrests more than likely appear insignificant. That is far from the truth, however.
The fact of the matter is that footrests provide a ton of relief. Camping chairs with footrests allow for better posture and remove loads of pressure from the small of your back and neck. Thus, footrests are indeed an important consideration to make when shopping for a camping chair for your bad back.
Speaking of features such as footrests, there are several additional features that the best camping chairs come with. These features include drink holders, built-in coolers, USB ports, and more.
Depending on your idea of what the best camping chair should include, make sure to check what features are included with your chair prior to your purchase.
Best Camping Chair for Back Support – Sitting around the campfire should be a relaxing experience, even if you’re one of the millions of people who suffer from a bad back. However, if you have the wrong type of chair, a relaxing experience is probably not what you’ll get. Just because you’re roughing it in the great outdoors, it doesn’t mean your camping chair has to be rough on your back too! Thus, you must get yourself the best camping chair for bad back.
Even if you don’t suffer from such a problem, investing in a comfy and supportive camping chair is a good call so you can prevent the pain before it comes. The thing is, there are tons of options on the market right now. So, to help you choose the right one, we’ve compiled some of the best camping chairs for bad backs! Take a look at our list and get yourself one!
Sitting around the campfire should be a relaxing experience, even if you are one of the millions of people who suffer from a bad back. However, if you have the wrong type of chair, a relaxing experience is probably not what you would call it.
By the way, as an Amazon Associate, I earn when buying qualified products through links on my site.
You need a chair that is made for those with bad backs! Specifically, you need a chair with lumbar support!
We’ve taken the time to sort through the garbage and found 5 of the most comfortable, yet sturdy camping chairs that your back will love. And yes…they all have lumbar support!