Best Camping Chair for Bad Back – Camping can be a demanding activity which is why packing along one of the best camping chairs for bad backs makes a world of difference.
But, with so many similar camping chairs that claim to be good for a bad back, how to choose the correct one?
That’s where we come in. We’ve researched, reviewed, and compiled a list of all the best camping chairs for bad backs currently available online.
If you have back problems and love taking outdoor adventures, finding the best camping chair for your back will be a godsend when it’s time to relax.
With the wide variety of camping chair manufacturers on the market, you will need to take time to review the top models by taking into account your comfort, need for lumbar support, and convenience.
To make your shopping experience easier, we’ve compiled a review of 5 of the top camping chairs for a bad back. We’ve also included a detailed buyer’s guide to help you pick the right one for your adventures.
If you’re needing a strong, durable chair that can not only support your back, but is also extremely comfortable, then the STRONGBACK Guru folding camping chair might be just what the doctor ordered.
Not only does it come with their award winning frame integrated lumbar support system (which is essential for alleviating back pain), but it also has additional lumbar padding for increased support.
The STRONGBACK Guru can hold up to 300 pounds and is constructed of heavy duty materials, unlike the cheaper folding camping chairs that you’ll find in your neighborhood department stores.
This includes a powder coated steel frame and 600D(denier) polyester fabric that’s virtually tear and weather resistant.
With such a strong, durable chair, you may expect it to weigh a ton right? Nope!
This chair only weighs 10.5 pounds and folds to a measurement of 6d x 6.5w x 40h.
Rounding out the list of features, it comes with a handy carrying bag and has two built-in mesh cup holders.
The only thing to keep in mind before deciding on this chair is that it’s on the smaller side. In fact, it’s specifically made for campers less than 5’8 in height.
However, if you love the idea of this chair but need something larger, you can check out its big brother, the STRONGBACK Elite.
Pros & Cons
- Award winning, patented, lumbar supportive design aligns your body posture to provide relief to your spine and ease tension throughout your back
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY - Best in the marketplace! Durability Guaranteed. See manufacturer for complete details. Contact Strongback Chair directly for warranty issues after 30 days of purchase. Warranty not valid on 3rd party purchases
- Spacious ergonomic seat designed to align hips and back for maximum comfort and relaxation; Made for people 5'8" and over (see the STRONGBACK Guru Chair for people 5’7” and under)
- Easy to use and lightweight - the perfect portable chair for camping, travel, picnics, beach trips, sports, concert events and other outdoor activities; includes a backpack style carry bag and cupholder
- Heavy-duty, durable construction with a 300-pound weight capacity
- Improved patented durable frame-integrated lumbar support with stronger rivets for stability
The KingCamp chair is another great option for those with bad backs! Not only is it great on your back, but it’s also a great all-around camping chair.
Obviously lumbar support is a must for a camping chair that claims to be good for your back, but the KingCamp takes it a step further by incorporating an alignment strap that helps to ensure your lumbar support stays in place at all times
This chair is as strong as a bull too! Its comes with a steel frame design along with a 600D (denier) fabric. This should ensure the chair will be around for many years after purchase.
Keep in mind that this chair is a bit big! Its steel frame measures 24.5 x 23.5 x 41 with the seat measuring 17.7” across. It also has a weight capacity of 350 lbs.
Although built super tough, the KingCamp folding chair is one of the lightest chairs on this list (weighs only 11.3 lbs) easily fold down, making easy to lug around, which is also helping your back.
Something else that separates this chair from some of the others is its storage capacity!
It has a built in cooler that can easily hold 3 cans of your favorite beverage (mine is beer). It also comes with a side storage for keeping all of your books and magazines within arms reach.
Lastly, it has a nifty headrest storage compartment for additional storage or you can stuff a pillow in it for additional head and neck support.
Although this chair has some very nice features, the one thing that I didn’t like was that it was a little hard to fit back into its carrying case.
Other than that, this is a great chair that should last you a very long time!
Pros & Cons
- Low back version,can't support head. Plz choose another high back version if you want headrest. This one is smaller folding size, lighter to carry.
- DURABLE AND WEIGHT CAPACITY: SUPPORTS UP TO 300 LBS. Heavy duty steel frame and 600D Oxford fabric makes the beach chair durable. It is suitable for both slim guys and big guys.
- WIDE AND LOW SEAT: Seat width 23.2 inches, KingCamp Beach Chair is wider than others (less 23 inches); You will feel more comfortable from low seat chair, fully stretch your legs, as comfortable as lying your bed.
- UNIQUE AND FUNCTIONAL: Features a cup holder on the right side of the beach chair so you can enjoy an entire day of relaxation.
- EASY TO USE: No assembly, open and close in seconds, KingCamp Folding Beach Chair is convenient for you.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND CONVENIENT STORAGE: Weighs only 6.6 lbs; Packed size 30.7 × 7.9 × 5.1 inches, included a carry bag, easy to carry and store.
3.Timber Ridge Camping Chair
This camping chair features a high frame — 38.5 inches — with a width and length of 22.5 and 23 inches. It’s also ergonomic and includes padded armrests.
The seat provides a messenger-style carry bag measuring 38 x 9.4 inches. The entire product doesn’t weigh more than 13 pounds.
The sturdy steel frame and quality fabric are designed to carry a weight capacity of 300 pounds. It also contains a 180-degree rotatable cup holder under the right armrest for convenience. Nevertheless, this product is one of the cheapest models available ($).
Note: This product comes in black, blue/grey, camouflage, and earth colors.
This product might be ideal for anyone looking for a budget-friendly, ergonomic product with a high back. It’s also available in various classy colors to fit all tastes and styles.
You should still be able to keep your cold drink at an arm’s distance while your forearms are comfortably resting on the padded armrests. Besides, users love that the cup holder pivots to save space when not needed.
In addition, the ergonomics provide support to both the waist and upper back. The padded armrests combine well with this for optimum comfort.
Overall, this is a great value product. It combines high back support, comfort, and is affordable for most budgets.
This model can be heavy for some reviewers. If you’re looking for a light product to carry easily, the Strongback Elite Folding Camping Chair might be a good alternative.
Pros & Cons
- Large Space & High Back: Our folding camping chair has 22 inches high back, provides you stable support. Weight is 13.67 lbs. Width is 22.5 inches. Folding outdoor chair provides extra comfort for long-time use
- Excellent Loading Capacity: The folding outdoor chairs is made of high-quality polyester and heavy duty steel frame. Heavy duty camping chair support up to 400 lbs.
- Fully Padded & Cup Holder Included: Smooth foam padded seat and detachable padded arm rest with swivel cup holder on side. This camp chair can provides a comfortable experience for your outdoor life
- Easy Open & Easy Storage: Our portable camping chair can be folded into a smaller size for easy storage and easy carriage. The fold up chairs for outside comes with a carry bag so you can take it to anywhere easily
- Versatile: This outdoor chair is suitable for all your outdoor life, like hiking, camping, traveling, fishing or watching sporting events. We back our products with a full 1 year manufacturer's warranty against any defective workmanship and material.
4.PHI VILLA Oversize XL
Phi Villa is a consumer goods brand that specializes in selling patio and outdoor living products through Amazon, Wayfair, and other online retailers. To see if their oversized zero-gravity chair delivered weightless comfort, I tested it over several weeks at my home and on the road. I assessed the chair’s comfort, durability, and portability, as well as its aesthetics. Read on to see how it performed.
The chair tested was the larger “XL” model, so while the build feels solid without being bulky or too heavy (it weighs about 25 pounds). It is a good 10 pounds heavier than some of the smaller, cheaper options in this product category. The frame is heavy-duty steel tubing which permits loads up to 350 pounds and helps it feel a bit more like furniture than a camp chair.
I tested the Phi Villa XL chair in blue, but it’s also available in red, aqua, gray, and even hunter camouflage. All of the fabric color choices are two-tone, with a black stripe down the center of the fabric breaking up the color. This design touch makes the chair feel classier, but it is not fully elevated into fancy furniture territory. It’s still a folding deck chair and the fabric is reminiscent of automotive seat coverings.
This chair works well on a deck or around a campground, though it’s likely limited to car camping since the weight makes it only practical for carrying short distances. Some online reviewers said they used the chair indoors for back pain relief, but you’d likely want to fold it up and store it away when not in use since it doesn’t look like indoor furniture.
Pros & Cons
- Padded Seat & Back: Fully padded seat suspended by double bungee system provides more comfort and durability. Extra-large wooden pattern armrest provide more comfort. Cup tray is included for holding drinks or food
- Zero Gravity Reclining Chairs: The Length of extra long chair when fully reclined is large enough for big and tall people 6'2". Strong double bungee rope and stainless steel tube frame are durable for using a long time. The maximum loading capacity is 400lbs
- Adjustable Position: The Anti Gravity Recliner is designed with a locking system and can be adjusted to any positions with 0-170 degrees to your preferences. Smoothly glides to an ergonomic zero-gravity position, with elastic cords that immediately adjust to your body
- Dimension: Set up size is W30" x D35.4"x H44.9". Height of chair back could be adjusted from 31" to 44". Folding size is L30" x W5.9"x H36"
- No assembly: Easy folding and compact structure is suitable for any patio occasions, such as poolside, yard, beach or balcony. We provide 12 months warranty and lifetime customer support. Please just contact Phi Villa customer service if you have any issue with our product
We love this GCI Outdoor Freestyle Rocking Chair because it folds completely flat so take it anywhere you want to rock the day away. Whoever first thought of building a camping rocking chair is an absolute genius!
This is a good quality chair that’s well-made. The steel frame is sturdy and can support a weight capacity of 250 lbs. The upright backrest is firm so do you don’t slouch like you would on in a regular old quad chair. The seat is also very supportive.
The chair features some really comfy padded armrests. It comes with a built-in drink holder so you can sit back and relax while sipping on your beer, water, soda, etc…
It also features a spring-action rocking technology that makes the rocking motion smooth and without any squeaking noise.
In addition to this, the chair features the EAZY-FOLD technology that makes the chair easy to open and close safely. A carrying handle is also included which makes it super easy to carry around.
The seat is just the right height at 19.7 inches with an open size of 24 x 25 x 34.8 inches. When folded, this chair measures 25 x 4.9 x 34.8 inches and is easy to store. We like how it only weighs 12.1 pounds, which makes it a great option for camping or any other outdoor activities. See what other people are saying about the GCI Outdoors Rocking Chair here.
Pros & Cons
- Portable, collapsible rocking chair. Spring-Action Rocking Technology provides smooth, relaxed swaying. Mesh backrest offers ventilation for cooling comfort Eazy-Fold Technology makes the chair simple to open and close.
- Beverage holder for accessibility to drink. Powder-coated steel frame for durability. Scratch-free nylon-coated feet. Carry handles make transporting easy. Folds flat for storage
- Weight capacity: 250 lbs. Seat height: 19.7”. Open dimensions: 25"W x 24"D x 34.8"H. Folded dimensions: 25” x 4.9” x 34.8”. Unit weight: 11.8 lbs..
This top-rated folding chair with back support is one of the most heavy-duty models around, capable of supporting up to 450 pounds in weight.
The seat area is spacious enough to feel extremely comfortable, with padded armrests and 600x 300D padded oxford fabric to help you truly relax.
There is even a soft padded area to support your neck for the ultimate comfort. The durability of this chair is enhanced by the hammer tone powder coating, which prevents it from fading and corroding.
It has a sturdy steel frame construction and weighs 13.2 pounds, so it is perfect for car camping. A drink holder in the armrest allows you to keep your water bottle within easy reach and there is a mini cooler on the other side of the chair to store extra drinks.
You also get a convenient side pocket for storing items like keys, maps, or your phone, and – best of all – the chair offers great value for money.
Pros & Cons
- Made of 600D Polyester fabric, providing you a comfortable sitting experience every time
- Lightweight pro-tech aluminum frame provides strength and stability for a long-lasting use
- Padded curved armrests, extra tall back and cup holder provides you with all the features you need in a chair
- Detachable back frame specifically designed for compact transporting and storing
- Dimensions: 24" W x 18" D x 36" H, weight: 11 lbs., weight capacity: 425 lbs.
What To Look For When Buying A Camping Chair For Bad Back
Camping shouldn’t be painful for your back, so it’s essential to find the right type of camping chair. Here are some tips to help you in your search.
Extra support in the lumbar region is key to preventing back pain when sitting and helps with maintaining the correct posture.
Look for chairs with added support and padding in other areas, too, which will all help towards making you feel more comfortable.
Some type of cushioning in the neck area can be useful and high back camping chairs are a good option as they offer extra support right up to your head.
Although it may not help relieve your bad back, extra padding around the armrests is a welcome touch too!
Many of the camping chairs that are good for bad backs are a little larger than average. This makes it easier to get in and out of them and to get completely comfortable when seated.
When looking for a folding chair with back support, be sure to check the load capacity and make sure it is adequate for your needs.
The more robust a chair is, the better. This is especially true when you need to exert a lot of force on the arms of the chair for support in order to stand up or sit down safely.
Weight Of The Chair
The chairs included in this guide range from as little as just under 3 pounds all the way up to just over 13 pounds.
So it is important to think about the type of camping you enjoy and whether or not the weight of the chair will be suitable for you.
This, of course, becomes more important when you are backpacking, and you will need to find the lightest chair possible that still provides the support you need.
Whilst not essential, there are some extra features that are nice to have if available, such as a purpose-built bag to carry your chair.
A cup holder is a fairly standard feature, but some chairs in this guide also have their own little coolers and storage pockets for extra drinks or smaller items.
Chairs with wide feet are great too, as these are designed to be stable even when the ground is soft.
The most important feature to look for when deciding on a chair for your bad back is that it has lumbar support!
What is lumbar support?
Lumbar support refers to the five vertebrae in the spine that are located between the diaphragm and the sacrum. This area is referred to as the lumbar region.
Chairs that claim to have “lumbar support”, will have extra support, specifically designed to help keep your spine properly aligned in its natural position.
By keeping your spine properly aligned, your muscles won’t have to work as hard in order to support your back, which should help to relieve, if not eliminate your back pain.
Is The Frame Strong and Fabric Strong
Having a camping chair with lumbar support means nothing if it’s made from poor quality materials.
First, you want to make sure that the frame is made of a strong material such as steel. And not just any steel frame will do! It needs to be thick. I recommend something over 20mm.
Something else to look for is a frame that is powder coated. This not only looks better, but it will give your chair better protection against the elements.
The fabric material is something else to consider! You don’t want a chair with a low-quality fabric for its seat and back support. Over time a poor quality material will stretch and begin to deteriorate, which in turn can make for a very uncomfortable chair.
I recommend looking for a chair that has a heavy duty polyester fabric with at least a 400D (denier) fabric rating!
In case you don’t know, the denier rating is a measurement that determines how strong a fabric is. The higher the number, the stronger the fabric. All of the chairs on our list have a denier rating of 600, making super durable and waterproof.
Is The Chair Big Enough
I don’t care how much back support a chair has, if it’s too small for you, it’s not going to do you or your back much good. On the flip side, if the chair is too big, you could be doing just as much harm to your back as with a small chair.
Make sure to choose a chair that matches your body size. This includes your height as well as your weight. The last thing you want is for your chair to collapse on you while enjoying a hot cocoa around the campfire!
Here are the main elements I evaluated when selecting a camping chair:
- Good lumbar support to avoid making a bad back worse
- Type of camping chair.
- Weight capacity.
- Seat’s weight.
- Accessories and storage space.
< id="tab-con-32">Good Support
For all of us suffering from a bad back, a proper camping chair with lumbar support is critical. This means that the seat should be ergonomically designed for this purpose.
High-back models are preferable as they allow better comfort and encourage a straight sitting position. Besides, you’ll find that some products include straps to adjust the seat’s lumbar support, as well as enhanced lower-back padding.
Bottom line: always looks for a camp chair with lumbar support.
< id="tab-con-33">Type of Camping Chair
Before selecting your camping chair, you’ll need to know what kind of chair you’re looking for. There are mainly two types:
You’ll find camping chairs almost sitting on the floor, such as the Strongback Low-Gravity Beach Chair. While it may be challenging to get in and out of it, they make fantastic options when chilling on a beach or by a lake.
Reclining seats — such as the Bliss Hammocks Zero-Gravity Chair — might be the most versatile models. They allow both a sitting and resting position. The latter allows full pressure to be lifted from the lower back potentially helping your bad back..
Weight capacity is an element that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Most seats should be able to carry at least 300 pounds. A few camping chairs, however, can withstand up to 350 pounds, such as the PORTAL Oversized Zero Gravity Recliner Chair.
For heavier weights, you’ll need a seat with a steel frame and high-quality polyester fabric.
Armrests contribute to the stability and strength of the seat. Furthermore, they’re important for comfort and maintaining a proper seating position. The best camping chair for bad back is unlikely to come without wide and padded armrests.
Campers typically travel over 136 miles from their home. With that in mind, a compact and portable camping chair can be more convenient to carry than a bulky one — even more so if you have lots of other camping gear to bring along.
The first element to consider is the weight of the chair. Not only is a light model easy to transport, but it should also keep your back healthier. Seats generally range from 8 to 30 pounds, but some are even heavier than this.
Heavier camping chairs can often handle more pressure. You’ll need to find the right balance between weight capacity and the product’s mass. Before purchasing one, it’s best to lift the seat and carry it over a short distance to see how it feels.
The Strongback Low-Gravity is the lightest in this at 8.5 pounds, whereas the heaviest are the Bliss Hammocks and Portal Oversized chairs.
Most camping chairs are foldable; however, not all come with a carry bag. Yet, this convenient feature makes the seat easier to move and transport.
An important aspect of the storage pouch is the strapping system. Two straps are preferable compared to a single one. The weight of the camping chair is then spread over both shoulders, preventing further back pain.
While they may seem unnecessary and luxurious, a camping chair with pockets, a drinks holder, or a tray can be more useful than most may think. When suffering from back pain, any movement can be the source of trouble. Ensuring that your drink, book, tablet, or other devices are handy is, therefore, critical.
Ensure that the camping chair comes with at least a drink holder, ideally one that’s insulated. In addition, look for a sturdy tray to hold other items.
Also, a headrest providing storage space isn’t only convenient, but it can also provide nice-to-have cushioning and neck support.
Having back pain doesn’t mean that your camping trip should turn uncomfortable. The best camping chair for bad back should make you feel at ease, even when sitting for long periods.
Our winner in this category is the KingKamp Camping Chair. It’s sturdy, adjustable, and can take on a large amount of weight.
It also includes more pockets and storage space than most other camping chairs. Finally, this model is compact and can be easily folded into the included carry-on bag.
As you can see, there are several camping chairs that are good for bad backs, designed to give you the support and comfort you need.
I hope this guide has helped you find the perfect model so now nothing is stopping you from getting out there and enjoying your next outdoor adventure.
Depending on your size, shape, and the nature and severity of your back issues, there are a number of excellent camping chairs on the market to choose from.
Our first choice is the KingCamp Camping Chair With Lumbar Back Support. The chair comes at a fair price and offers up all the great benefits the best camping chairs for bad backs should.
It has lumbar support, it’s easy to handle, it’s actually comfortable, and the list goes on and on. All around, we think it’s genuinely one of the best deals around.
The running up for best camping chair for bad backs is STRONGBACK’s Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support. This chair was number three on our official list only because of its high price point. Aside from a higher cost than most camping chairs, this seat is superior to others in almost every way possible.
Quad chairs have 4 legs that come together towards each other making them easy to fold up. Some come with a carry handle or carry bag. The arms are fabric, the back and seat are made from a single piece of material. They usually have an upright position.
Even though you can find quad chairs that are low, most are a “standard” chair height which makes them ideal for use around a table.
These chairs fold in half making them flat and easy to store. Most of them also come with a carry handle. The back and seat have separate pieces of fabric and are in a more upright posture. Just like the quad chairs, they also have a “standard” chair height.
These usually have a seat and back like a quad chair, but reclines to different positions. Typically, they have molded armrests and an adjustable padded headrest. They fold up flat for storage and transportation.
Best Camping Chair for Bad Back – Camping is a great activity that is enjoyed by many people of all ages. Kids love to run around and play, and adults like the calm and break from hectic work lives. Having a good camping chair is a must have no matter what. And if your back tends to give you issues or you like to have extra lumbar support, we suggest getting the best camping chair for bad backs to keep you comfy.
Although it is often referred to has “roughing it”, it doesn’t have to be rough on your back. You want to make sure you are comfortable around your campsite. Having a bad back that gets stiff and sore is no fun when you are enjoying the outdoors. Get the right chair with the right support to make you a happy camper.