Best Chair for Back Problems – A good office chair could be the difference between being healthy and suffering from chronic back pain. Primarily, if you work in a hybrid environment, ergonomic office chairs are a must-have in both the office and home since you’re going to spend a lot of time.
Selecting the right office chair will play a vital part in your well-being by ensuring that your body is in the ideal posture all day long. This will allow you to focus on the tasks at hand without worrying about injuring yourself. To help you find the right one for yourself, we’ve compiled this list of office chairs that are not only comfortable but adjustable too, according to your liking.
Finding the best office chair, that will help reduce lower back pain, is a quest for many office workers. While most office seating companies claim to have lumbar support, they almost always lack in this area.
While you may find other lists on the internet, almost all of them will be built to push you into Amazon products. It’s important to note that most, if not all of these websites, have never tried the chairs they promote. As someone who has sat in hundreds of chairs, I know there is no way you could ever know what chair is excellent or bad without sitting in each first hand.
Chairs that offer better lower back support do exist, and today we will take a closer look at the ones we have found to provide the best lumbar support. I will show you chairs that are available at different price points so that no matter your budget is, you can start to work more comfortably.
1.Home Office Chair
If affordability is your top priority, then this Amazon pick is a worthy buy at $51. Although it has a pretty standard design, it’s perfect as a simple task chair to put in your home office or to station at your makeshift work desk. Additionally, it has some lumbar support and mesh backing to help with breathability to keep you cool. Plus, you can adjust the stem of the chair by 3.5 inches to accommodate different heights.
One helpful reviewer writes, “After facing WFH for the foreseen future, I decided I needed to finally upgrade from a wooden kitchen chair to a proper office chair to minimize back pain. I was also looking for something fairly small and compact to fit in my space as well as affordable and comfortable. I wasn’t sure about this chair given the price, but decided to take the chance and I’m glad I did! It’s surprisingly study and comfortable, and has held up to daily use for 8+ hours every day for the last three months.”
- ✿【Easy to Set up】 - Office chair comes with all hardware & necessary tools. Follow the desk chair instruction, you'll found easy to assemble, and computer chair estimated assembly time in about 10-15mins.
- ✿【Soft & Comfort Seat】 - Desk chair using high-density sponge cushion, more flexible, office chair with a middle back design, rectangular ornament not only as a decoration, it can provide good lumbar support makes you feel comfortable.
- ✿【Quality Material】 - All the accessories of our office chair have passed the test of BIFMA, which is a guarantee for your personal safety. The mesh chair can bear the weight of 250lbs.
- ✿【With Armrest】 - It is a good choice to add one of our computer chair in your office or put a desk chair in your home/activity room. The seat height can be adjusted from 17.1"-20.3" and the seat measures 18.5"(W)*18"(D)
- ✿【Ergonomic & New Patent】- The cushion of office chair, armrest accord with human body engineering design, let your body and mesh chair perfect fit, suit long time use, give you creative design!
2.Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller is one of the best brands for office furniture, and Aeron certainly builds on that reputation. It has changed the office chair game by being one of the first chairs designed for work that prioritizes comfort and functionality over aesthetics.
The Aeron has all the features you expect from a great office chair: adjustable height, vertically adjustable armrests, adjustable pitch, and sufficient padding to make it comfortable. Aeron responds to your body and moves with you to support your spine as you change postures, so you sit upright all day long instead of slumping or slouching.
It also comes in three different sizes from A to C for people with different heights and has lumbar support so that the chair can be adjusted to fit the curve of your spine. The mesh on the Aeron is very breathable and makes long working hours without any discomfort a breeze. Overall, it is one of the best office chairs you can buy to solve your back pain problems once and for all.
- Size B
3.Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh
Easy to install, adjust and use, this ergonomic office chair by Gabrylly will add to the aesthetic of any home or office space. It is equipped with four support points at the head, back, hips, and hands, along with added lumbar support to prevent back pain during work.
The armrests on this office chair are also adjustable, making it easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest. Its back and seat are made out of breathable mesh for better air circulation and extra comfort. This office chair by Gabrylly is also highly durable and can withstand weights of up to 280 lbs with ease.
In short, it is suitable for those who work full eight-hour daylong hours as you can work comfortably without sweating your back off.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chair directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chair good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
4.Ticova Ergonomic Office
For those who want a laid-back office chair, the Ticova office chair should suffice. The highlight of this chair is that you can adjust and lock the backrest like a recliner up to an angle of 130° to find the position that you find the most comfortable. The height and angle of the headrest are also adjustable, offering fantastic support to your upper body.
It also features lumbar support and is built with a three-inch seat cushion that provides extra comfort for those who work long hours at once. The cushion has been designed in a W-shaped, waterfall-edge design, giving the seat a larger surface area of support that alleviates the pressure off of your hips and thighs.
From its reclining back to its adjustable headrest, the Ticova office chair offers incredible value and will perfectly fit your spine and significantly ease the fatigue and pain of your back.
- 【Adjustable Mesh Chair】You can adjust lumbar support height and depth; headrest height and angle; armrest height, angle, forward & backward; seat cushion height; tilting angle up to 130°and rocking resilience to your personal most comfortable position
- 【Ergonomic Backrest & Seat】Our adjustable backrest can perfectly fit your spine and significantly ease the fatigue and pain of your back. Also, our seat is made of 3 inches high density foam with W-shaped and waterfall-edge design, providing larger support area and disperse pressure on hip and thighs
- 【Unique Metal Armrest】Compared with all other ergonomic desk chairs' plastic 1D armrest, our stainless electroplating metal 3D armrests with bigger, thicker & softer PU paddings are much more durable and best fit to your favorite position
- 【Unique Headrest & Quality Mesh】Unlike other high back office chairs' small mesh headrest, our big curved foam headrest provides more comfortable neck and head support. Plus, our breathable mesh with strong tensile strength provides cool and comfortable back support, enabling long hours sitting relaxed without sweat
- 【Warranty】We provide 30 days money-back guarantee, one year warranty and professional after sales service for our ergonomic office chair. If there is any quality problem, please contact us and we will provide 100% satisfied solution. Our ergonomic computer chair has comprehensive packaging and clear instruction, enable everyone to assemble easily without damage worry
This office chair by SIHOO is one of the most sophisticated pieces of office furniture that you will ever see. In addition to having adjustable headers and armrests that support your spine, it even has a footrest that you can use to extend your feet and lay back a little bit.
Most office chairs don’t offer a high back, but the SIHOO Office Chair is an exception, making it suitable for taller ones. It is also quite sturdy and can bear a maximum weight of 150 kg. This office chair is an excellent choice for those who can’t find a chair suitable for their height or those who could use features such as a footrest to ease their body pain.
- 【HIGH QUALITY & EASY TO ASSEMBLE】SIHOO office chairs have been certified by BIFMA and SGS, passed 2000lbs static pressure test. It can carry a weight of up to 330lbs. Every part of this computer office chair has strict safety quality testing, cushion impact test, handrail fatigue test, chair foot static pressure test, ect. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps
- 【FOR LONG TIME SITTING】The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfort. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, , making the high back desk chair suitable for a long-day sitting of 8 hours. Meanwhile, it allows you to sit without feeling hot or sweaty. It also features easy maintenance, please wash the mesh in warm water on a gentle cycle with a cold-water rinse
- 【ADJUSTABLE 3D ARMREST】 This office chair from SIHOO features 3D adjustable armrests - go forwards and back, up and down, and rotate 36° for the best fit to your favorite position. No matter in appearance or the function, it makes perfect sense of technology and future. Find the best angles for your posture
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】SIHOO is recommended by Ergonomics Application Association. Ergonomic design is based on the human body dynamic digital model. The S-shaped backrest mimics the human spine which helps release the spinal pressure, with more effectively adjustable lumbar pillow to cherish. The flowed waterfall arc seating design thigh support lets you sit a more comfortably, relaxed posture
- 【3-YEAR WARRANT】 If there is any quality problem, please do not hesitate to contact us.SIHOO office chair promises to provide you with free product accessories within 3 years
6.Steelcase Series 1
Whether you’re sitting upright or reclined, this office chair by Steelcase will adjust to the position you are sitting in to support your spine. It has built-in flexors that bend with every movement, making this chair one of the most flexible ones around.
Steelcase Series 1 work office chair is very flexible as you can tweak the height, seat depth, arms, and lumbar, so you are always sitting in your most comfortable position.
The office chair is just as good when it comes to quality and durability. It has been designed to withstand 24/7 use and has a maximum capacity of 400 pounds which is significantly higher than most office chairs on this list. The cushion has been crafted with mesh upholstery and comes in 11 premium finishes to choose from, including colors such as royal blue and tangerine.
- Back mesh and Connect seat fabric are 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – this stool height model includes adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, adjustable lumbar, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, flexing back with mesh upholstery and upholstered seat, black base and frame finish
- All day comfort and back support – back technology features flexor system in the backrest conforms to your body and moves with you to support the spine as you change postures
- Quality & durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
How to Choose the Best Office Chair for Back Pain
Comfort is the most important key factor when shopping for a new office chair, but not all chairs labeled “ergonomic” have the right features to prevent back pain. If you are someone who spends over six hours a day sitting at work, having the right office chair will go a long way in helping your back stay healthy soon.
This guide will walk you through some key factors that you need to know before buying the perfect office chair.
< id="ftoc-build-quality" class="ftwp-heading">Build Quality
The materials used ultimately decide how plush a chair is. There are plenty of materials to choose from, such as leather and mesh to foam. Mesh is the most commonly used material on office chairs as it is breathable, prevents sweating, and adjusts to your lower back. Some chairs offer a thicker but firm cushion that makes it easy to work long hours without pressure on your back.
< id="ftoc-ergonomic-design" class="ftwp-heading">Ergonomic Design
An ergonomically designed office chair is a must as it has been crafted for maximum comfort and efficiency in a work environment.
< id="ftoc-lumbar-support" class="ftwp-heading">Lumbar Support
Lumbar or lower back support is essential for any office chair as it helps keep your back aligned with the chair. The basic lumbar support adjusts vertically as you raise and lower the chair’s back, and the best lumbar support offers vertical and depth adjustment. A chair without lumbar support might strain your spine, leading to back pain.
< id="ftoc-adjustability" class="ftwp-heading">Adjustability
Adjustability is important to help you set the chair so that you can find the most comfortable position. A lot of good office chairs offer back, headrest, and armrest support. Some office chairs even offer tilt adjustment so you can adjust how much you want to recline.
< id="ftoc-headrest" class="ftwp-heading">Headrest
A headrest supports your neck and your head, and it is highly recommended for those suffering from neck issues.
< id="ftoc-footrest" class="ftwp-heading">Footrest
A footrest is an optional but useful feature that allows you to relax your feet and sit in a more laid-back position. If you’re looking for a multi-purpose office chair for more than just work, you might find an office chair with a footrest helpful.
1. How you sit in your chair while you task
Not all users task the same way. While some work in perfect posture with their back up against the chair, others tend to slouch. Maybe you like to lean to the side when you type. It’s essential to understand how you like to sit when finding the perfect office chair.
One of the most significant issues we’ve seen is that customers try to adapt to an office chair. This is the quickest way to failure, as most habits can be hard to break. Some sitting habits aren’t bad, and the expectation that you sit perfectly for long hours throughout the day is unrealistic. Finding a chair that provides proper support for the way you sit, is likely to improve your support while seated.
2. Does the chair offer good support while reclined?
Do you like to recline in your chair? Is this something that you spend a lot of time doing? If you are taking a lot of phone calls, in meetings or even working from this position, proper support while reclined can be important if you have lower back issues.
Just because a chair offers great support while you’re sitting upright, doesn’t automatically mean that you will see the same support when reclined. We’ve found through testing all of the chairs in our office, there can be significant differences in lower support as you recline back into the chair.
Depending on how the recline function moves on your chair, the lower support can change in various ways. Whether it’s diminishing support or that the support actually moves up the back, both can have a significant impact on your lower back pain.
3. Is the lumbar support height and depth adjustable?
While not always true, having a lumbar support system that is height and depth adjustable can be important. If the lumbar support system doesn’t provide a good fit for your body, you will need the ability to move it up and down your back. Having depth adjustment will allow you to add and reduce the amount of pressure applied to your back. Depending on the amount of support needed, this can be a nice feature to have.
4. Does the backrest and/or lumbar move with you in the chair?
Depending on the type of tasks you perform in your chair, you may want to consider how the backrest and lumbar moves with you. If you are doing a lot of twisting and reaching, having a backrest that moves with you and provides continuous support is good if you really need a lot of lower support.
We have seen a lot of different types of backrests that will provide this function. From the entire backrest bending and flexing, to only the lumbar support automatically adjusting in depth. If this is important to you, you’ll want to pay close attention to the back of the desk.
5. What material is the lumbar system made from?
The last thing to consider is what type of material the lumbar and backrest are made from. Certain types of materials will flex more, spreading out the support through your back. We have seen upholstered lumbar systems with padded backing that can feel more stiff and will focus more on a certain area. Depending on your needs, this type of focused support can be good or bad. This is especially true if you’re able to fine tune where you can place the support.
Depending on the amount of support you require and where you need it most, finding a chair with excellent lower back support is always a good idea. Each chair in our list offers, at a minimum, excellent lower back support for long hours of tasking. If you’re interested in reclining, the list shrinks somewhat. Finding how much support you need, where you need it most, and what type of material to have the chair upholstered in will ensure a good sitting experience. I hope this list has helped you narrow down the best choice for your lower back needs.
What’s the best office chair for back pain?
That said, we recognise that with a price of around $1,500 / £1,300, the Mirra 2 is simply beyond many people’s budgets. We’ve taken that into account and included some more economical chairs for back pain in our guide too. Some of the cheaper options offer great ergonomic features for their prices, but they don’t have the same level of adjustability or support as the likes of the Herman Miller and HÅG Capisco chairs. We’d suggest reading below for a few pointers on what features to look for when you’re searching for the best office chair for back pain.
What chair features are good for back pain?
- Lumbar support (see below)
- Adjustable armrests
- Seat-depth adjustability
- Recline and tilt
James Crow, owner of Posture Stars, a website promoting good posture, says: “The best office chair for back pain is one that’s highly adjustable, so you can get the back to support you in a meaningful way. Invest wisely: we wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or car, but many of us are spending eight to 10 hours a day perched on a ‘value’ chair.”
It’s also important to replace an ageing chair, he says. “If your chair has been around for more than a decade it’s probably time to upgrade. The materials wear down over time, with seat padding especially taking a beating.”
What is lumbar support?
Why does this matter? Well, when sitting, your lumbar becomes sandwiched between the torso, above, and buttocks, below. When you sit, lumbar stress is one-and-a-half times higher than when you stand, and double compared to when you walk.
“Left unsupported over time, the strain causes stiffness, making the lower back prone to injuries like slipped discs,” Chongsu says. “Just like support beams in a building, lumbar support absorbs that strain and props your lumbar up, protecting it against stress and injury.”
How do you sit properly in an office chair?
To make our own selection of the best office chairs for back pain below, we’ve evaluated each chair according to adjustability, build quality and either our own or own reviews with several hours of testing the chair or customer reviews based on confirmed purchases. Of course, you also want an office chair that looks good, so we’ve considered style as well. And since the best ergonomic chairs overall are beyond many budgets, we’ve been sure to include some cheaper options that still provide at least basic ergonomic adjustability and support.
If you need more pointers on what you should be looking for in an office chair to avoid back pain, scroll down to the questions section at the bottom of our guide. And if you want more ideas for how to help your back and posture, see our guide to the best standing desks. We do also have a guide to the best office chairs in general, not specifically for helping posture.
Yes, the best ergonomic office chairs can help prevent back pain in the first place and can also help to alleviate it if you’re already suffering. That said, if you do already suffer from back pain, we recommend visiting a doctor as well as considering a new chair because there may be other underlying causes.
Health experts provide a lot of advice on the importance of using a good chair. “In the age of technology, we spend so much time sitting at our computers, and our bodies cannot maintain good posture for hours without fatiguing,” explains Dr Amy Hoover, a physiotherapist at workouts company P.volve(opens in new tab).
“A chair that allows your lower back to maintain a good neutral position, supporting the natural curve in the lower back, can alleviate stress on the spine and improve the alignment of your spine all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst(opens in new tab), a physiotherapist specialising in back pain and a specialist in Pilates, agrees. “The right chair set up is essential, not only to support the natural curves of the spine but also the shoulders,” she notes. “Armrests are really useful for someone who suffers neck and mid-spine pain. Lumbar support is also very useful. An adjustable seat plate, backrest and arms will allow the user to adapt the chair to their specific posture.”
Best Chair for Back Problems – The best office chair for back pain can be quite an investment, but it’s an important one. Whether you work at home or in an office or studio, if you’re a digital creative you probably spend a large portion of the day sitting at a desk. Experts on health warn against long periods of time sitting, and how we sit and what we sit on can exacerbate the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle. Taking regular breaks and changing posture, is highly recommended, but for those of us who have no choice but to spend long hours at a screen, the best ergonomic office chairs can at least help ensure we’re sitting well.
Bad posture can cause really serious health issues in the long term. The best ergonomic office chairs can help avoid this by supporting the back in the right places, particularly the lower back area known as the lumbar spine. Supporting the lumbar spine’s natural curve and keeping it in a neutral position is recommended to alleviate stress on the spine. The best office chairs for back pain do this with the use of various forms of support – fixed in the case of cheaper chairs and adjustable in more expensive option.
There are other features that the best ergonomic chair should have to. Generally, the more adjustable the better since this means you can ensure that everything from height to seat depth, armrests and headrests fit your frame. At the very least , the best office chairs for back pain include height adjustment so you can set the chair’s height so that your feet are on the ground and your knees aren’t strained.