Best Chair for Big and Tall – After conducting thorough research, we nominated the BestOffice Big and Tall Office Chair as our Top Pick and the best big and tall office chair. We liked that this was a mesh combination chair that supported up to 400 pounds, offered an adjustable six-position lumbar support, and a five-inch seat height adjustment range.
To create our guide for the best big and tall office chairs, we considered the following key criteria: seat height, seat width, lumbar support, weight capacity, materials, and additional features. When browsing for the best office chair, seat height adjustment ranges and the width of the seat are going to be integral when shopping for a big and tall office chair. Likewise, we focused on weight capacity and considered whether a chair did more than just include lumbar support, but made it adjustable. Keep reading to learn more about our selection criteria and to shop from our recommendations on the best office chairs.
We get it. You don’t want to cram yourself into a flimsy office chair with limited cushioning and support. If you’re on the XL side of things, you need a high-quality big and tall office chair that’s designed with larger users in mind.
This means a chair with sufficient width, weight capacity, and height, plus the right mix of materials, support, comfort and durability.
1.HON Wave Mesh
The HON Wave Big and Tall Executive chair comes in as top pick because of it’s amazing combination of comfort, durability, and price.
If you’re not a fan of leather-like office chairs, this big and tall mesh office chair is a great choice for you. The light breathable material will feel nice on your back and prevent it from sweating.
The chair features a robust 450 lb weight capacity, which is ideal for bigger and taller people. You can also enjoy all the ergonomic features the HON office chair provides. It has adjustable reclining and armrests as well as customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment. In short, this chair will take good care of your posture during workdays.
Thanks to the five-star resin base and durable wheels, this high back office chair will become one of your favorite office items. Plus, you’ll also get a HON 5-year Limited Warranty. So, you can be safe in case something goes wrong with your chair.
The HON big and tall executive chair will easily adapt to your body and be your best office friend for years.
- Made of Metal, Mesh & Leather | Easy assembly required
- Chair dimensions – 25.63" D x 30.25" W x 42.88" H | Seat dimensions – 19” D x 22” W | Arm adjustment – 21” W x 3”-9” H | Back width – 23” | Weight capacity – 450 lbs. | Unit weight – 59 lbs. | Lumbar support fixed
- Give your neck and back a break; these adjustable-height and width arms move up and down, and toward and away from the body to adapt to your body
- Let this comfortable office chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline, customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment
- Pull up to your computer desk, swivel around to collaborate with your teammate, or wheel over to the snack area for a quick break with this five-star resin base and 5 durable wheels
Steelcase is known for making high quality office chairs and this one is no exception. In fact during our testing, we thought this was better chair than our top pick, the HON Wave. So why is it number two? The price. At nearly $1,000, it’s an investment and significantly more than most chairs. However, if it’s an investment you can afford, you’ll be happy you did.
The Steelcase Gesture features multiple adjustment options such as seat depth, arms, seat height, reclining tension, and a 4 position recline line. Additionally, we found it to be the most comfortable chair we tried.
This big and tall office chair can support up to 400 lbs, much more than regular office chairs that usually support only up to 250 lbs. So, if you’re a big guy, you should have no problems with the weight capacity.
Thanks in part to Steelcase’s proprietary seat technology, if you suffer from back and leg pain, sitting in this chair for hours won’t feel like torture for your body.
Finally, the chair comes assembled so as soon as it’s delivered, you’ll be ready to enjoy it.
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
Another ergonomic office chair that passed our test is this product by SIHOO, which is specifically suited for big and tall people. First of all, this computer chair offers 5 different types of adjustments that can greatly help you find the most comfortable position to work long hours. More specifically, we’re talking about headrest adjustments, back support adjustments, seat height adjustments, tilt adjustments, and finally armrest adjustments. By customizing all these features, you’ll be able to find the perfect positionings to sit comfortably for long spans of time.
However, adjustments alone aren’t enough to make an office chair comfortable. We also need to take breathability into consideration. In this regard, this SIHOO chair features a premium backrest with mesh fabric that keeps your skin cool and fresh by letting air circulate to eliminate sweat and moisture after hours of use.
Moving on, the W-shaped design of the seat is wide and comfortable, and it can support up to 330 lbs. The front edge has a waterfall design, which helps relieve pressure on your legs. Moreover, the high-density, sponge filled cushion isn’t likely to lose its original shape over time.
- ★【Multiple Adjustments】5 ergonomic adjustabilities of this computer chair help you to find the most comfortable seating position for a long term sitting. Adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, and tilt adjustment plus height adjustable armrests. This executive swivel chair provide you a customized seating experience.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Back】The premium backrest features flexible mesh fabric without pattern, which gives you a cool feeling and comfortable sitting experience, promotes good air flow, eliminates sweating and moisture, to keep you focus and relax at the same time.
- ★【Well Padded Seat】W-shaped design for the seat ensures you sit centrally .The front edge of the seat has a waterfall front, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed.
- ★【High Quality & Easy Assembly】The surface of the arms is made of PU, a flexible plastic. This home office chair has passed the BIFMA test and the static pressure test of 1136 kg. Our ergonomic office chair can support a weight of up to 150 kg. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps.
- ★【Three Years Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within three years warranty period.
If you’re looking to buy a big and tall chair that was reviewed by more than four thousand people, then the Duramont big and tall executive office chair is the one for you. Slightly more expensive than the previous chair on our list, this ergonomic option is another great option if you want to be able to make lots of adjustments when seated.
Starting from the top, the headrest of the chair can be adjusted both in terms of angle and height, then the armrest can be adjusted in both height and distance from the seat. Moving on, you can modify the lumbar support height, as well as the seat height and finally the backrest tilt.
More specifically, this chair offers premium back support by letting you move the lumbar support in and out, up and down, and also offering a reclining feature to either tilt the backrest back or sit straight.
To stay cool throughout the day, the back of this ergonomic chair is made of breathable mesh which promotes air circulation, effectively getting rid of inconvenient sweat. Overall, this chair is a good high back office chair, but we also think the armrest could have a bit more padding on them.
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
If you’re still struggling to find a chair suited for big and tall people, then this product by Samofu might just be what you were looking for. With a 2.4-inch height adjustable backrest and a 90°-135° lockable reclining function, this ergonomic office chair offers a large variety of positions to help you stay comfortable during your work.
More specifically, the back can be adjusted in four different levels to easily adapt to various heights, and this, coupled with the chance to adjust the height and angle of the headrest, makes the Samofu chair fit the human body’s physiological curve, helping you keep a natural and correct posture.
In terms of breathability, the mesh backrest lets air circulate to keep you fresh throughout the day, while talking about seating area, the seat can be raised or lowered to achieve the most comfortable position for you and its waterfall front can distribute pressure evenly on your lower body, reducing stress on your thighs and knees.
All the tools you need to assemble the chair are provided, and the product comes with a 5-year warranty.
On the negative side, although the armrests can be adjusted in height, we found that they might sit a bit too close together at only 18-inch apart. In case armrests are a problem for you, here you can find our review of the best armless office chairs.
- [Big and Tall Ergonomic Chair - Adjustable Backrest Height] Load up to 300 lbs. The large office chair recommend for 5'.3" to 6'3" heavy People. It has a 2.4-inch (4 gears) height-adjustable backrest and 3-inch liftable headrest, The height from the cushion to the headrest is the lowest 26.58" and the highest 31.98" that is much comfortable for tall men. And 4” adjustable height seat suit your height and desk size.
- [Ultimate Comfort for Body Needs-Fully Adjustable Desk Chairs] office chair Ergonomic for back pain, it has independent 4D lumbar support to accurately fit the natural curvature of your spine and relieve back pain. The backrest allows to tilt and lock at 90-135 ° ranges. The multi-dimensional free rotating headrest provides the most comfortable position for your neck. The seat goes up and down, lifting armrest for the ultimate in customized comfort in the office, or in front of your game!
- [Reduce hip pressure - Premium Elastic Mesh Seat] SAMOFU mesh office chair with the waterfall-edged seat, their contoured and slightly downward sloped shape aids to relieve pressure and increase support behind your knees and on the back of your thighs. The elastic mesh seat hugs your buttocks to disperse pressure when you sit in. And keep the body cool and dry, and will not hinder blood flow due to stuffy sweat and aggravate back pain.
- [Rolling Easily & Freely - Good for hardwood] Don't overlook the importance of swivel base and silent wheels. All office chairs should swivel to allow for easy access to various parts of the desk. Otherwise, arm fatigue can result from over extending. The silent wheel will not be too noisy when you focus on work, will not disturb others or be disturbed. It can also be applied to wood floors, carpets and other surfaces without damage.
- [Long Warranty Policy - 5 Years Warranty] Few sellers are like us to provide the warranty period. For 5 YEARS WARRANTY, we assure all customers that any needed repairs and replacements will be covered for free. Including but not limited to missing parts, damaged packages, or failed function. NO MORE QUESTIONS, NO EXCUSE!
Another great option in terms of office chairs for big and tall people is this ergonomic chair by XUER. The chair has a simple yet modern design that will fit any interior and make your office look more stylish. While completing your daily tasks, you will also enjoy the comfort of a wide W-shaped seat made of sponge and covered in breathable mesh. This cushion also features a waterfall front to effectively reduce pressure when sitting at a desk.
With a variety of adjustments available, such as the free rotating headrest, the adjustable armrests covered in PU, and a tilt function, this heavy-duty chair can surely help you find and keep a comfortable position.
In terms of assembly, the process should only take around 20 minutes and it’s quite easy if you follow the instructions given in the manual. All tools required are included in the price.
Although this chair offers a good number of pros for around $250, we noticed that the headrest, though easily adjustable, tends to be a bit wobbly due to the way it’s attached to the base at the back of the chair.
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Big and Tall Office Chair
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a big and tall chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? A chair designed for a bigger or taller person could be crucial in a better, more comfortable workspace. Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
Depending on your weight, you may want and office chair that supports 400 lbs or more. It’s one of the main advantages of these types of chairs. According to ANSI/BIFMA standards for large occupant office chairs, 400 lbs. is the threshold for a male. They’re a leader in office furniture standards and because of that, many of the chairs on our list meet that criteria.
Additionally, even if you’re not 400 lbs. or more, it’s a sign that the chair is study and well built. Speaking of which…
Construction, Durability, and the Base
Being a bigger person means putting more strain on an office chair. If you sit to work for most of the day, it just compiles. Because of that, you want to make sure your new chair is built to talk and can support a big and/or tall person.
One of the most important aspects to look at is the base. For optimal support, you’ll want a 5-star base that’s made from reinforced resin or heavy-duty metal. You’ll also want smooth dual wheel casters which can swivel 360 degrees.
Finally, for any chair you’re considering buying, be sure to look at customer reviews to see if they reported any problems with durability.
Seat Width and Depth
If you’re a bigger guy or a bigger person, you want to make sure you’re going to fit in the chair that you buy. If you want to avoid constant numbing, endure that your chair wide enough for you to spend hours sitting in it. However, also make sure it’s not too wide.
ANSI/BIFMA guidelines say that the preferable seat width is 22 inches. We recommend a minimum backrest depth of 20 inches and a seat depth of at least 19 inches.
If you’re over 6 ft tall, then having a suitable seat back is a must. Ensure your new big and tall chair has an adjustable seat height to fir your unique body type.
This is twofold. First, if you sit to work for long hours, you’re going to want to be comfortable. There’s not much worse than having a lousy cushion when you’re working at your desk.
Second, you’re going to want something that will last. Plenty of office chairs that we’ve tested feel great but then after a week or two of use, the cushion wears down and it feels like you’re sitting on wood.
With that in mind, you want to choose a chair with a cushion that’s made of high-density foam so it will be able to keep its shape and support. We recommend a cushion thickness of at least 2.5 inches, if not more. If you’re 350 lbs. or more, consider 3 inches as a cushioning threshold.
This can be subjective — as in, it’s up to you! Some people prefer a leather or PU leather chair while other prefer fabric. Some folks like a mesh back as its the most breathable. We recommend going with what you prefer, but if you’re unsure, consider the following:
- Do you get hot easily? If you do, fabric and mesh should be your top choices.
- Do you sweat often? Like the bullet above, you’ll want to go with fabric and mesh.
- How important is the look? This is totally personal preference. But think about how much you prefer style over substance.
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design and helps you support a correct posture. Here are some features to look for to ensure an ergonomic big and tall chair:
- Lumbar support – Any good office chair should come with lumbar support, but it’s especially important with a big and tall chair. What you’re looking for is the S-shape frame in the back to mimic a spine. Often times there will be support behind mesh or extra padding.
- Adjustable Armrests – Getting your chair’s armrests to the proper level and position is key to your comfort. You’d be surprised at how uncomfortable it can be with them in the wrong position. When shopping for a chair, check for this feature and for the amount they can adjust.
- Adjustable Height – This is another standard on most chairs. But, like the armrests, having the right chair height is key to comfort. Having it at the wrong height can lead to pain in your knees, arms, or other areas.
- Tilt Tension Control – While not having this may not impact your health or ergonomics, it’ll certainly help your comfort. If you want a chair that can rock back and forth, you’ll want to make sure you can adjust that ability.
- Seat Design – This is another feature which can play a crucial role in your health and comfort while working. Not having proper seat design can lead to more pressure on the back of your thighs which can cause aches and pains. Additionally, it can help keep circulation. We look for a waterfall seat — a seat which slopes downward.
Bigger and taller people are more prone to breaking their chairs. That’s why you should check the warranty and return policy before you purchase a tall and big chair.
Picking a proper big and tall office chair can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its weight capacity as well as the seat width and back height.
If you want your chair to serve you for a long time, don’t forget to check its warranty. Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every bigger or taller person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would fit your body type the most.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs will help you better understand the office chairs and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
Best Big and Tall Office Chairs
How should a big and/or tall person choose an office chair?
When choosing a big and tall office chair you’ll need to pay extra attention to factors such as seat width. In terms of seat width, we recommend something around 16 inches or more.
How high should the backrest be?
The height of the chair is not as important, but it’s definitely better if the chair offers headrest adjustments. If it doesn’t come with a headrest, then the height of the chair becomes a secondary factor.
What is a good seat height for tall people?
It mostly depends on how tall you are. For instance, a 6 ft. 3 inches person might need a seat height of around 20 inches, while a 7 ft. 3 inches person should go for a 24 inches seat height. In general, we suggest going for a chair that has a maximum height of at 24 inches.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.
How to Best Measure Chair Seat Size for your Body
As a big and tall user, one of the most important things to look at when choosing an office chair is the size of the seat. Too small a seat, and you’ll feel constantly constricted; too big, and it’s like putting a kid in an adult chair, with everything misaligned.
Here is the best way to determine the ideal seat dimensions for your body before you buy your next chair, especially online where you can’t try it out first.
Step 1: Sit down in any existing chair in your home in an upright position, your back flat and tailbone flush against the backrest. Open your thighs up slightly in a “v” shape position as you normally would when seated.
Step 2: Calculate the best chair seat depth for your body. With a measuring tape, measure the distance from your tailbone (where it touches the backrest) to the end of your inner thighs. After that, subtract 1-2 inches to derive the best seat depth. This is the seat depth that comfortably supports your bottom while leaving a small gap at the end to allow proper blood circulation in your inner thighs and legs.
Step 3: Calculate the best chair seat width for your body. While seated, open thighs slightly or to your normal amount. With a tap, measure the lateral distance across your thighs just before they drop off the seat’s edge (Assume ideal seat depth, or 1-2 inches before end of inner thighs). Then, add 2 inches to get the ideal seat width for your body. This is the seat width that comfortably supports your body laterally while leaving a 1 inch gap on either ends to allow some wiggle room. If you often sit cross legged with one or both legs on the chair, add another 3 inches to the final measurement.
Step 4: You now know the ideal seat dimensions for your body size. Check your target chair to make sure they fall close to those numbers:
Best Chair for Big and Tall – While there are a ton of different chair options on the market, the number of heavy-duty big and tall chairs is somewhat limited. We’ve already featured some of the top big and tall gaming chairs and now today we’re going to take a look at the best big and tall office style chairs.
We’ve rated and reviewed seven of the best office chairs for larger users. These office chairs have maximum weight capacities of up to 500 lbs. and we have left out any option that doesn’t have a capacity of at least 350 lbs.
For big and tall users, shopping for anything requires a little more effort, whether it’s clothes, shoes, and even furniture such as office chairs. The standard office chair typically is geared towards people below 300 pounds and 6 feet tall (182cm). Everything from the dimensions of the seat and backrest, the hydraulic piston, to the cushioning are designed to operate comfortably and safely within those parameters, and isn’t something you want to skirt.
If you belong in the heavier or taller category then, picking the right office chair isn’t just a matter of comfort, but safety and longevity of your investment.
If we were to define comfortable office chairs with one word, the word would be “invaluable”. In fact, this is especially true if you have a few extra pounds under your belt. No matter if you need to work on your income taxes, give the finishing touches to that corporate report, or even evaluate your student’s coursework, something is clear: a comfy, ergonomic office chair specifically made for heavy folks is paramount in order to do those tasks efficiently!
That’s why I decided to write this article. I decided to find the very best office chairs for heavier folks like me. I also talk about why they are the best ones, with detailed information about pricing, ergonomics, weight capability, and style, among other things. If you are looking to spend your hard earned money on an office chair that will feel comfortable to sit for hours on end, then this is the article for you!