Best Chair for Breastfeeding – You are going to spend many hours breastfeeding. A comfortable chair to breastfeed in can make the difference between enjoying those precious moments and back or neck pain.
Smart moms will want to make their choice from the best of the best chairs for breastfeeding.
It would be nice if you could just pick the breastfeeding chair of your dreams. However, most mamas have specific criteria that will narrow their options down.
There are a variety of things to take into consideration when shopping for a chair for breastfeeding. When searching for the best nursing chairs, we considered a few factors that make up “the best nursing chair”. That includes the reviews that parents gave for these chairs, the quality and features, as well as the popularity of the chair.
1.IKEA Poang Armchair
It may not be sold as a dedicated nursing chair, but many of our parent testers swear by the Ikea Poang, because of its comfort and slight bounce.
Designed to follow the shape of the body and support the neck and lower back, Ikea’s iconic armchair comes in a range of wood finishes, with tons of fabric options, including full grain leather. There’s even a rocking version and a matching footstool available too.
Previous buyers particularly praised the comfort of the chair with one saying, “really comfortable, easy to assemble,” and another, who has owned one for 18 years, adding, “I can’t live without this chair”.
Pros & Cons
This stylish glider is super comfortable, making it suitable for sitting for long periods of time. The seat is nice and wide, so adjusting your position is easy.
Both the arm cushions and the base cushions are generously padded. They’re also covered with a durable fabric that’s easy to wipe and spot-clean.
We particularly love the way this glider looks. It has a stylish, classic shape, and there’s a great selection of patterns and colors to match any taste and color scheme.
Another great bonus is the handy storage pockets built into the armrests. They’re roomy enough to hold all your baby items, along with your own essentials.
The icing on the cake has to be the price; this is one of the most affordable nursing chairs on our list.
Pros & Cons
- COMPLETE GLIDER WITH OTTOMAN SET: Complete premium 2-piece nursery glider and ottoman set; Comfortable, padded arm cushions with pockets for added storage convenience; Enclosed metal ball bearings make for a smooth and gentle nursery rocking experience
- SAFETY TESTED: Expert tested by third-party, accredited laboratories to meet or exceed all applicable category voluntary and mandatory safety standards; Applied finish tested to meet or exceed applicable ASTM and CPSIA safety standards
- AWARD-WINNING BRAND: Exclusively from Storkcraft, proud recipient of the 2022 Women’s Choice Award for 9 out of 10 Customer Recommended Baby & Kids Furniture and Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval for nursery and children’s furniture
- QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Crafted with rubberwood framing, engineered wood, and wood composites; Glider and ottoman cushions upholstered in a durable, easy-to-clean polyester material (available in multiple colors to match your nursery); Assembly required
- DIMENSIONS: Glider Width (25.75 inches) x Depth (24.75 inches) x Height (39.5 inches) | Ottoman Width (19 inches) x Depth (14.5 inches) x Height (14 inches) | Boxed Dimensions: Depth (34.5 inches) x Width (22.63 inches) x Height (21.19 inches
3.Delta Children Blair
The Delta Children Emerson lets you enjoy the benefits of rocking, gliding, and swivelling all in one chair. The ball bearing mechanism is one of the quietest on the market, so your little one can snooze peacefully.
We particularly love the look of this one. The Chesterfield style armchair brings a classy element to any room. It also comes in two colors; dove grey and beige, so you can match it to your own decor.
The seat cushion is removable, so it’s easier to keep clean and free of dust and debris.
Pros & Cons
- Chair Dimensions: 26.5"W x 31.5"D x 36"H | Seat Dimensions: 19.75"W x 19.75"D x 17.25"H | Backrest Height: 22" | Seat Cushion: 5.5" thick
- Other dimensions: Seat: 19.25"W x 23.25"D x 19.75"H; Seat to Backrest Height: 22"; Seat Cushion: 5.5" thick Designed with your comfort in mind, tested for safety and expertly crafted for durability Sturdy frame providing stability
- Durable steel mechanisms to ensure quiet movements
- Armrests are thickly padded for comfort
- Removable cushion for easy cleaning
This nursing chair will be popular with the whole family. The elevating leg rest lets you put your feet up. There’s also a reclining seat back making it the perfect choice for napping, reading, and relaxing after a long day.
Your little one will love it too; the quiet rocking motion helps to lull your baby into a peaceful sleep. Just be prepared to drift off too…this chair has some of the comfiest paddings on our list!
As well as being comfy and practical, the HOMCOM is a super stylish option too. The clean lines and studded upholstery make it the perfect addition to any room.
Pros & Cons
- A BLEND OF STYLE AND COMFORT: Polyester linen upholstery with button tufted accebts give this sofa recliner a modern and chic look that will add style and class to your bedroom, living room, and more.
- COMFORTABLE UPHOLSTERY: Upholstered in breathable linen-touch polyester fabric and padded with high-density sponge, this living room chair provides extraordinary comfort with materials that are fire-retardant for increased secure.
- EASY RECLINING & 360° SWIVEL: This recliner can easily recline, so you can sit upright to work, lounge back to read, watch TV, or adjust to a reclined position for a nap. It also has a 360-degree swivel and can slightly rock for added comfort.
- ELEVATING LEGREST: The footrest extends from the front to let you stretch your legs and is quickly retractable when not in use.
- DIMENSIONS: Overall Dimensions (Upright): 30.75" W x 33.75" D x 41" H; Seat Size: 21.75" W x 19.75" D; Seat Height: 20.75"; -Back Size: 25.5"Wx 22"D; Armrest Height: 26"; Weight Capacity: 220 lbs.
The DaVinci Olive Swivel Glider is another super comfortable option that works great for feeding time and snuggles with your little one. It’s also a particularly great option for parents with back issues. There’s an additional lumbar pillow included with this chair that helps to keep your upright and supported.
This chair is the only one on our list that boasts a Greenguard Gold certification. This guarantees no nasty toxins or chemicals and actually helps to purify the air in the room.
The DaVinci Olive is one of the smaller options on our list. While many parents prefer a larger nursing chair, this is a great choice if you are limited on space.
It also comes fully assembled, so there will be no headache trying to put it together.
Pros & Cons
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- DESIGNED FOR PARENT AND BABY: Metal base that allows for a smooth and gentle 360 degree swivel motion and forward and backward gliding so you can be comfortable as you feed or rock your baby to sleep
- COMFORTABLE HEADREST: Being a parent is hard work! High back allows moms and dads to comfortably lean back for some much needed rest. Bonus lumbar pillow & ottoman included
- EMISSIONS-TESTED: Foam used in the seat meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is CertiPUR-US certified which certifies the foam is made without PBDE or Tris flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde and CFCs
- FSC CERTIFIED WOOD: Wood used in the frame of this product comes from well-managed, FSC-certified forests. The FSC label means that wood has been harvested to benefit communities, wildlife, and the environment
6.Baby Relax Kelcie
The Baby Relax Kelcie is another super supportive option for anyone with back issues. The sturdy yet comfortably padded back and wide arms make sitting with your little one for extended periods a breeze.
The gliding motion is smooth and silent, helping to lull even the fussiest babies off to dreamland.
It’s also easy to assemble and even more importantly, easy to clean. The seat cover slips on and off and is 100% machine washable.
Pros & Cons
- Swivel glider and matching ottoman with clean lines and microfiber upholstery.
- Glider features both a rotating swivel function and smooth gliding motion
- Solid wood frame with thickly padded seat cushion and seat back for comfort.
- Minimal assembly required. 1-year limited warranty. Meets or exceeds U.S. Federal Safety Standards.
- Glider dimensions: 34"L X 34.5"W X 35.5"H. Seat dimensions: 19.5"W x 21.5"D. Ottoman dimensions: 21.5"L x 17.5"W x 16"H. Net weight: 85.98 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 37"L x 30"W x 31"H. Gross weight: 97 lbs.
Buyer’s Guide –Best Chair for Breastfeeding
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about nursing chairs. We’ll discuss their benefits, features, and the different types available.
What to Expect in This Buyer’s Guide:
- What Is a Nursing Chair?
- Benefits of Using a Nursing Chair
- Different Kinds of Nursing Chairs
- What Features to Look Out For in a Nursing Chair
< id="h-what-is-a-nursing-chair">What Is a Nursing Chair?
Nursing chairs have been a popular purchase for parents since the Victorian age. They were originally designed for breastfeeding mothers, but today they’re loved by moms, dads, and caregivers alike.
The sole purpose of a nursing chair is to provide a comfortable place for you and your baby. Also known as baby rocking chairs and glider chairs, most have motion features to soothe your baby and get them to go to sleep.
Nursing chairs are designed for sitting for long periods of time. That’s why a good nursing chair will generally be more comfortable and supportive than a regular armchair or sofa.
Although they’re an old fashioned invention, nursing chairs have come a long way in recent years. Modern versions have all kinds of added features to ensure maximum comfort for both you and your baby.
Many parents simply nurse and feed their little ones from an armchair or sofa. While this works just fine for a lot of families, having a dedicated nursing chair has some huge benefits. A lot of parents swear by them, hailing them as their favorite baby-related purchase of all.
Here are a few of the reasons why nursing chairs are so popular.
As a parent, you’ll be spending a pretty large chunk of time feeding your baby. Whether you breastfeed or bottle-feed, finding a comfortable position is important. If you’re not properly supported, your back, neck, and posture can really suffer, leading to problems in the long run.
Nursing chairs are designed specifically for comfort and support during long feeds. They make those sleepless nights a lot easier and spare you unnecessary aches and pains.
Nursing chairs usually rock or glide, and sometimes they even do both. The soothing motion helps your little one to drift off to sleep. And of course, the more sleep your baby gets, the more you get too.
The Power of Routine
Having a dedicated feeding chair in a dedicated room can help your little one to establish a routine. As your baby grows from a newborn into a toddler, the familiarity of the nursing chair can help to soothe and comfort them.
Having your nursing chair in your child’s bedroom is a great idea. When it comes to time for them to sleep by themselves, making the transition can be a lot easier.
Practicality and Convenience
When you’re mid feed or you have a sleeping baby in your arms, it’s not exactly practical to get up and grab something you need. Luckily, most nursing chairs have you covered with handy storage pockets. They’re great for baby essentials, like pacifiers, bibs, cloths, and storybooks.
Easy Sitting and Standing
Nursing chairs are generally designed to sit lower to the ground. This helps you sit down or stand up easily, without waking your sleeping baby. This is also helpful for new moms who are still recovering from childbirth.
The Chance to Put your Feet Up
Swollen feet and ankles are part of motherhood. A lot of nursing chairs come with a matching footstool or ottoman, giving your tired tootsies a well-deserved rest.
5 Benefits Of Owning A Breastfeeding Chair
A well-built piece of furniture can be expensive, and no doubt your new baby has already been a drain on the hip pocket. But an investment in your comfort can also add up to an investment in your sanity.
You will be racking up many, many hours in your breastfeeding chair and it could end up your most used household item…. and that includes your bed.
The following benefits could be a lifesaver:
1. Easier Feeding
It doesn’t matter if your baby is breastfed or bottle-fed, a breastfeeding chair can help you get into a comfortable position while you are breastfeeding your child.
The design will provide you the necessary support around your back, arms and legs.
Imagine waking up at wee hours in the morning to feed your child. Wouldn’t it be helpful to have a place where you can just sit down and feed your baby in a comfortable place that’s also safe for your baby?
Anything you can do to make those late-night feedings easier on yourself is a huge help.
2. Helps Soothe A Crying Baby
The gentle rocking motion of a nursing chair can do wonders for a fussy baby. Whether your child is sleepy or is just irritable that gentle movement can help soothe your baby instantly.
The glider mechanism in many nursing chairs provides a very smooth kind of movement. Rocking chairs are also equally as soothing and will help your baby relax.
3. Creates A Familiar Environment
Babies respond well to routine and familiarity. Your nursery space is their sanctuary where they should feel most at ease, and the breastfeeding chair is the hub where that they will associate with peacefulness and rest.
The soothing motion as these chairs glide will also become a familiar feeling as they feed.
Nothing beats the comfort of a nursing glider in a full recline position!
The soft, wide base with cushy armrests and elevated feet. A happy and relaxed Mom is a caring and nurturing Mom.
If you suffer from back pain, the extra support can also help take the pressure off. A number of the nursing chairs on our list also have included pillows that match the upholstery and can help you get into unusual positions comfortably if you wanted to.
5. Helps Manage Edema
Most nursing gliders come with an ottoman where you can just put your legs up.
After a whole day of working or doing household chores and errands, it is a welcome relief to put the feet up. That elevated foot position can help with circulation and help prevent some postpartum conditions such as Edema setting in.
This is less of a benefit with the baby rocking chairs on our list. It is difficult to have your feet up while in that rocking motion. But most of the best nursery glider options have an ottoman or nursing stool for this purpose.
< id="h-different-kinds-of-nursing-chairs">Different Kinds of Nursing Chairs
No two nursing chairs are exactly alike, and there are several different types to look out for. Here are the most popular styles on the market today.
- Nursing armchairs – These are usually fixed position armchairs designed specifically for feeding times. They’re similar to a regular armchair, just wider, lower to the ground, and extra comfy and supportive.
- Rocking nursing chairs– These look very similar to traditional rocking chairs. Two curved bands at the base of the chair create a soothing back and forth motion to help lull your little one to sleep.
- Gliding nursing chairs – Rather than a rocking motion, these chairs glide you and your little one backward and forwards along smooth runners. Just like rocking, this motion helps to soothe your baby into a peaceful sleep.
- Nursing chairs with ottomans – Many nursing chairs today come with a matching ottoman or footstool. Some even glide along with the motion of the chair.
Top Tip: If you’re not sure which type of chair to choose, visit a store to test out the various styles on the market. Even if you plan on buying online, doing a little in-person research will help you make the right decision.
< id="h-what-features-to-look-out-for-in-a-nursing-chair">What Features to Look Out For in a Nursing Chair
This should be at the top of your list of priorities. If you have back issues, make sure to choose a chair with good lumbar support. If you prefer to lean back, look out for automatic recliners.
Whichever features you choose, make sure to read the reviews to check it will be comfortable for those long feeds.
Your nursing chair might have its fair share of stains and spills. Everything from spilled milk, baby barf and yes, even poop, can end up on there. Choosing one that’s easy to clean is essential.
Many parents say they prefer a larger nursing chair. They allow you to change positions easily and give you and your little one plenty of space to spread out. Just make sure it’s not too big for the room.
Many modern nursing chairs come with a locking mechanism. This stops your little one’s fingers from getting trapped. It also provides extra safety by keeping the chair still when you sit down and stand up.
Nursing chairs are not just great for nursing. If you invest in a good one, it can last well into the future and be used by the whole family. If you’re looking for something that will last, go for a quality, durable chair that will look stylish in any room.
When you’re trying to lull a fussy baby to sleep, the last thing you want is a chair that squeaks. Check the reviews to make sure it’s as silent as possible.
You can breastfeed in any old chair right? So what makes these chairs so special?
Well, the bottom line is they offer convenience and comfort through built in features that are especially designed for the breastfeeding Mom.
If you think about the last time you sat on a regular couch to nurse your baby. What was that experience missing?
You probably had to bring a nursing pillow with you.
You probably couldn’t quite get your back into a supported position.
You also could have been a bit more comfortable if you could only recline that seat a little.
A good breastfeeding chair can solve all of these problems. Plus most come with a nice footrest to prop your legs on as well.
It is important to set up your nursery space with your own comfort in mind, and not just your baby. Breastfeeding is hard enough at any time of the day, but those midnight feedings can be the toughest.
Just imagine walking around at 2am with your baby under your arm, you’re tired, frazzled, and then you sink into a super soft chair that feels like a cloud… Ahhhhhhhhhh! This is the feeling that the best nursing chairs can offer.
Being able to immediately settle into a specialized nursing chair with a soft and comfortable reclining seat, with padded arms, and an extendable footrest can help add just enough luxury to keep you sane while operating on no sleep.
This is your little sanctuary for you and your baby to bond during feeding time. And you can eliminate unwanted distractions with one of these top rated nursing chairs that we have reviewed in the article below.
A nursing chair is characterized by the inclusion of small features that make the life of a nursing mom that little bit easier. Plus their comfort levels are off the charts!
Here is an overview of the most common styles of nursing chair available on the market.
What is a Nursing Chair and Why Do You Need One?
A nursing chair which is also known as a nursing glider or baby rocking chair is a cushioned, upholstered, and highly comfortable seating piece. It’s specially designed to be used primarily while breastfeeding or nursing your baby.
The history of nursing chairs goes back to Victorian times and it was only used by the upper class back in the day. Although the principle of these chairs remains the same, they have evolved greatly with time. Now a modern nursing chair comes with a host of extra features.
These features guarantee that both the baby and mother recline in optimum comfort while still enjoying their important bonding moments. As a mother, you’ll need to spend a whole lot of time with your baby and that’s why it’s worth investing in a comfortable nursing chair.
Buying a nursing chair is also a good option because it allows you to move back and forth which is a very soothing experience for most babies. It also makes the nursing chair one of the best solutions for every parent’s mission which is to help their baby to sleep.
There are several factors that you need to consider while choosing a nursing chair. Bear in mind it’s going to be a handsome investment. Therefore, you should ensure that it offers more than an attractive design. Here are some of the most important factors that will help you to choose the right chair.
The whole idea of the nursing chair revolves around comfort and you’ll need to spend a substantial amount of time sitting on it for several months. Therefore, the glider or rocker chair you choose must be comfortable and offer good back support. It’ll allow you to keep yourself from bad posture and avoid unnecessary backaches.
It’s also important to look for a chair that offers thickly padded cushions which remain in place and doesn’t easily lose their shape. You’ll also love the padded armrests as they’ll make nursing easy especially during your late night feedings.
Many people prefer a nursing chair with a large size and wide seat. It provides you and your baby with enough space to spread out and you can also change your position easily. Consider choosing a nursing chair with the size that’s suitable for you and your little one as well as for the room.
If you can’t go to the store and see the nursing chair in person then you’ll need to place an online order. Before doing so, consider reading the firsthand online reviews to find out whether a certain nursing chair is worth the price or not.
People who left the online reviews most probably were looking for the same features as you do and it’ll allow you to make a smarter decision.
There will be a lot of spills and spit-ups on your nursery chair, so make sure that you choose the product that’s up to this task. You want to buy a nursing chair that is stain resistant and easy to clean.
You can also opt for a nursing chair with dark color upholstery that’ll conceal the stains better or you can go with the one that offers removable and machine washable covers.
A nursery chair should also have a robust build so that it stays with you for a longer time for your future babies. You’ll be using your nursing chair for many years to come. That’s why you want to be sure the chair is sturdy and will withstand everything life throws at it.
Read the product warranty information and find out what it actually covers. You should also ask yourself how the rocker chair will look when it’s no longer being used for nursing.
It’s always better to define your budget before you start searching for the best nursery gliders or rocking chairs. You should also create a list of features and functions you want in your nursing chair. It’ll allow you to limit your search to find the product that not only fits your budget but also meets your needs.
You should choose a well-constructed nursing chair that doesn’t have any sharp edges to keep your baby safe. Some modern chairs feature locks which is a great way to prevent rocking motion when you don’t want it. It’s an excellent feature to keep small fingers from being pinched.
When you’ve had a long and tiring night and are breastfeeding your baby to get back to sleep, a jolting or squeaky sound from the chair is the last thing you want. Buying a nursing chair that offers silent and smooth gliding motion can greatly reduce the tension of those late-night hours.
Best Chair for Breastfeeding – The good news is that there are a lot of options when it comes to finding a comfortable breastfeeding chair. The bad news is there are a LOT of options when it comes to finding a comfortable chair for nursing. It can be hard to narrow all those choices down.
My goal is to help save you time in discovering the best chair for breastfeeding. In my opinion, these are the breastfeeding chairs for sale that will make you look forward to those middle of the night feedings.
Are you torn about adding a glider or rocking chair to your baby registry? You might be wondering if you need or even have space for one. And let’s face it — they can be pricey.
But there’s nothing sweeter than feeding and bonding with your baby in the nursery. If you’re daydreaming about reading, snuggling and singing to your bundle of joy while rocking the day (and night) away in one of these chairs, read on for everything you need to know about nursery gliders and rocking chairs.