Best Chair for Developers – As a Developers , software developer, software engineer, or tester, you’re almost guaranteed to spend most of your workday sitting in a chair. Most of the time, you probably don’t think about it. Why would you? You’re busy trying to get that last piece of code working to meet the deadline for that all-important release.
But over time, your choice of seating can make a difference. For any programmer, it’s essential to find something that is both comfortable and ergonomically supportive. Comfort keeps you going during those long hours of intense coding; proper support keeps you healthy for the long term.
If you are in the market for a new chair, you will find that there is a vast selection to choose from. No worries! Let’s comb through the noise and look at our choices for programmers’ best chairs.
Looking for a top of the line chair? Willing to truly make an investment in your comfort and health? The Herman Miller Embody is the one for you. It is our top pick because of its features, innovative ergonomic design, and trusted brand name. With over 100 years in the business, it’s hard to go wrong with Herman Miller.
If you want a chair that significantly enhances your programming experience but doesn’t break the bank, the Duramont Ergonomic is our best midrange chair. It has the support and features we were looking for at a price that doesn’t break the bank.
If you are looking for programmer’s chairs, you can count on this chair to keep your bones in a perfect position while working hard doing what you do best.
This chair’s salient feature is the backrest. It is tall and ergonomic at the same time with a breathable mesh. This looks great, as well as ensuring that people can easily stay comfortable and remain fresh. Of course, you can adjust this chair to find the best posture and the highest degree of comfort.Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair
Besides, there are plenty of different adjustment options available with this chair. The pneumatic controls will allow you to raise or lower your seat and tilt the backrest back or to sit upright. Precisely, that is what makes this chair is one of the best chairs for programmers who sit many hours at their desks writing and debugging code.
Also, the seat height, backrest inclination, the angle of the headrest, the arm rests, and the lumbar support position, amongst many other features can be adjusted. All of these features are designed specifically for workers doing diverse jobs.
When you spend several hours sitting in front of a computer you will start sweating on your back, particularly during the hot summer season. Well, this Duramont ergonomic office chair features a mesh back for perfect breathability so your back doesn’t have to go through that uncomfortable situation.
This affordable work chair has been designed to last. With a 330 LBS weight capacity, it is constructed with the highest quality materials, featuring a soft padded seat, durable armrests and neck rests, and swivel casters for easy mobility across your office floor.
Another special feature of a chair is its 100% money—back guarantee. You can use this chair for 90 days. During this time, if you do not like this chair, then you can also return it. It is good. Isn’t it?
There are many programmers and designers who works at the desk, often suffer from a number of health issues including spinal misalignment, neck pain and herniated disk.
Those problems usually arise from sitting on a low quality chair for longer duration of time. That’s the reason, a high quality ergonomic office chair is essential for everyone who work in front of computer for 8 – 10 hours everyday.
At some point every software developer has to upgrade or even add a new office chair. And when this happens, the vast majority of us are under tight budget constraints.
But which office chair would be the best for you is a sixty-four-thousand-dollar question.
Traditional chairs typically aren’t meant to provide adequate support to particular anatomical areas of your body like your back, neck, legs and hips resulting in aching, discomfort and muscle pain.
An ergonomic office chair not only should have a velvety and cosy seating surface but it should have ergonomically designed backrest and arm support to avoid any health problems.
Finding an office chair with that many features at this price range is the real pain in the neck. Therefore, I would like to tell you that if you are looking for an ergonomic chair at 300 or less price range, then look no further. This chair has everything you need to work comfortably.
Pros & Cons
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
2.SIHOO Ergonomic Office Chair
While the Sihoo ergonomic office chair is pretty reminiscent of the majority of mesh options you will probably find on the market, its high quality and affordable design ensures that the Sihoo office chair delivers way more than it’s worth. SIHOO Ergonomic Chair For Programmer
The SIHOO office chair boasts a classic office chair look but with an appealing appearance. From the front, the chair’s outline looks sleek and elegant while the main body of the chair has a natural looking curvature. This chair’s black color looks typical of office chairs belonging to this class. This means you can expect it to work well for a typical office setup and practically any place you might need it for in your home.
The Sihoo’s lumbar support can be adjusted in height and depth. Coupled with a swivel headrest, in this way it ensures the best possible fit for your body. Another important feature of the Sihoo is that this chair is recommended by the Ergonomic Applications Association, which means this chair will be more comfortable than other chairs.
A one-year warranty period on the chair is beneficial as well. In addition, it is easy to assemble with everything needed in the box to quickly configure the chair, so you don’t need special expertise to do this.
Obviously, not all customers agree on the ergonomics of this chair. We have some shorter users who have struggled with the angle of the lower back area and said it was not helping their back. Some taller users had trouble adjusting the height.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMICE OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 support points (head/back/hip/hands) and proper lumbar support. SIHOO designs ergonomic chairs to meet different needs, with seat height, headrest adjustment, lumbar support and back support adjustment, suitable for long sitting and reduce your pain. Suitable for people 5'6" to 6'2" tall.
- 【For Home and Work】 SIHOO chairs can be applied in different scenarios according to the needs of different consumers in needs. Can be used as student office chairs, computer chairs, ergonomic chairs, desk chairs, gaming chairs; not only can sit comfortably, but also save money;
- 【Breathable Mesh】 Mesh Office Chair Premium Backrest features flexible non-pattern mesh fabric while keeping your back cool and comfortable, allowing you to sit focused and relaxed at the same time.
- 【High Quality & Easy Assembly】This home office desk chair passed the BIFMA test and the 1136kg static pressure test. Our ergonomic office chair can support up to 330 lbs. Simple instructions allow anyone to put the chair together in eight easy steps.
- 【3-Year Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Home Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within the three-year warranty period
3.Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Herman Miller is a renowned manufacturer for making office furniture and equipment like office chairs, stacking chairs, conference tables, workstations, etc. The Aeron is one of the best chair for programmers in 2021.
The brand Herman Miller is synonymous with durability and reliable performance, and they make premium quality products for all sorts of industries, clinical, and home offices. Herman Miller Aeron Remastered
In this section, we will take a look at Aeron Remastered chair, which is a stylish and comfy chair from Herman Miller.
This chair comes in the three size options: A, B, and C. Size A is suitable for a short person with a weight of 150 – 160 pounds. Whereas, the size B and size C is recommended for the tall people. However, B is suitable for a person up to 270-300 pounds weight and Type-C is recommended for up to 350 pounds of weight. For the actual figure, you can check out the Herman miller website.
Moreover, the Herman Miller Aeron is available in different color options such as Carbon, Graphite, Graphite with Polished Aluminum.
There are two things to be kept in mind when buying an ergonomic chair. One is the build quality of the chair and another one is the ergonomic features such as lumbar support, armrest, etc.
You can guess the build quality of this chair by the point that Herman Miller offers 12 years warranty on Herman Miller Aeron. In addition to that, 89% of this chair is made using recyclable contents.
As far as ergonomic features are concerned, this chair as a fully adjustable armrest, adjustable PostureFit SL, and tilt limiter.
Finally, this is best chair for programmers, and freelancers who spend 8 – 12 hours in the front of the computer and want an ergonomic chair to avoid bad posture.
Pros & Cons
- Suspension seating with full ergonomic support and an iconic design that complements any space
- Features: size B provides optimal ergonomic support for people between 5'3" And 6'6" In height and weighing between 140 and 300 pounds, adjustable lumbar support, standard tilt, Height adjustable arms, and carpet casters
- Fabric: the 8Z Pellicle offers eight latitudinal zones of varying tension in the Seat and Back to provide targeted pressure distribution and eliminate heat buildup.Seat Height:16-20.5 inch
- The Herman Miller Aeron Chair shipped and sold by is backed by our 12-year, 3-shift.
- Ships fully assembled. Made in the U. S. A
4.DXRacer Tank Series
The DXRacer Tank series is designed for serious use and often featured as one of the top gaming chairs around.. This line of chairs is capable of handling up to 450 lbs of weight on the seat. There are two replaceable gas cylinders to power the suspension, and a five-spoke aluminum stand handles this load. Ultimately, the Tank series is one of the biggest and best chairs for programming available.
Pros & Cons
- Ergonomic design-- more efficiently and comfortably,Free bonus: headrest cushion & lumbar cushion
- Patent race car seat breathable material: PU
- Extra higher backrest to save neck and spinal, Flexible seat back with adjustment
- 4D Adjustable Arms with adjustment protect shoulders and wrists
- Lifetime warranty on frame, 24-month warranty on parts
5.Steelcase Leap Office
Steelcase chairs are very popular and used in many companies. It designed to be comfortable for programmers and data scientists. One interesting fact about Steelcase Leap chair is they are up to 98% recyclable by weight which is good for the planet. Isn’t it?
A few important features of Steelcase Leap chair are Liveback that provides stable support to your back, adjustable lumber to sit comfortably, and adjustable arms.
Furthermore, this chair is available in many color options Burgundy, Black, Blue, Cyan, etc.
Pros & Cons
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 5 position recline lock, upholstered back and seat
- All day comfort and back support - Leap's contoured backrest changes shape as you move to support your entire spine, ensuring long-term comfort
- Quality & durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
With Steelcase Gesture, a new industry standard has been defined. It was inspired by a rigorous worldwide survey involving more than two thousand participants across 11 countries to design a chair that would support a broad spectrum of different technologies, postures and sizes – all of which make Steelcase Gesture an ideal fit for the home office and workplace.
In terms of build quality, ease-of-assembly and the overall high quality of materials, the Steelcase Gesture scored perfect marks. Their lifetime warranty also earned them high marks. The one pleasant and surprising aspect is that the chairs come totally assembled. Yes, admittedly, while the box will be quite huge and may might be difficult to carry. however, it is a small price to pay for the chair which you know has been proficiently pre-assembled right out of the box.
There are plenty of different adjustments available in the chair that are designed specifically for taller people. Some of those are height adjustable headrests to accommodate a wider range of users, high-tech armrests which move like human arms to offer support in a variety of positions. Moreover, these adjustments are highly intuitive and effortless to perform on the fly.
Also, with 3D LiveBack technology, the gestures adapt to and mimic the natural behavior of the spine by outlining all posture.
There are three different heights available for the chair. If you really tall, you may want to opt for the taller range of heights. It can support a weight of up to 400 pounds, its pliable back will conform with your posture, & it just has numerous adjustments included to help you dial in a good fit. It comes in twelve colors to suit any space or work environment. The only issue I have is that I would like to have a little more clarity in adjusting the height of the lumbar support.
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for hard flooring
- Ergonomic chair – this model includes an adjustable headrest, adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, adjustable lumbar, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, wrapped upholstered back and seat, black/black frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support. Seat Height from Floor : 16" - 21"
- Quality and durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
- Ships fully assembled; 12 year manufacturer warranty
- NOTE : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
How to choose the best chairs for Developers in 2021
In this guide to find the best chair for programmers, I’ll cover what an ergonomic office chair is, its characteristics, what to look when buying an office chair for coding comfortably, and I’ll try to answer all your frequently asked questions about it.
But first, let me tell you why an ergonomic chair is essential for all professionals. In this fast-paced and competitive world, it is a common fact that people have barely sufficient time to care about themselves at home.
We are required to be in the office and do our work for at least 8 – 10 hours each day. When the office is not equipped with adequate facilities and furniture for the staff, the workers may suffer from severe health issues.
If you are someone who usually suffers from pain (in the back, shoulders, and neck) by the end of the working day, you might have to replace the chair you are using at work.
Being in the same sitting position while working puts extra pressure on your spine. For this reason, it is important to use a comfortable work chair.
An ergonomically designed chair is entirely different than a traditional chair. They are specifically engineered for the complete relief and relaxation of the body’s main structures which are easily stressed during work.
When it comes to the benefits of an ergonomic office chair: Well there is more than just one! Now let’s take a closer look at them…
Things you should know before finalizing the Developers chairs
Today the best chair for programmers are available in all types of styles, designs, and colors. A few will come with adjustable headrest, and a few will come with stylish leather cushions.
A few are available under $100, and a few are above $1000. It is not necessary that a $100 chair is the worst one. Same time it is not necessary that $1500 chair is the best available ergonomic chair in the world.
Therefore, it is essential to decide the budget, required features, and other aspects before taking a look at the list of best chairs. This will help you to filter out many chairs which are not suitable for you.
Tips on choosing the right chair for Developers
Each chair comes with a few different features. Some chairs have headrests some don’t. A few chairs come with a mesh back and some have adjustable armrests. A few of the chairs cost 1000 or more and some are available for 200 or 300.
But, finalizing a good ergonomic chair entirely depends on your budget, body type (height, weight, etc), and other requirements.
So, let’s discuss a few key points for choosing the right chair for a software developer.
Height: We recommend you to use a chair which has a perfect mechanism to adjust the height of the chair. Before you purchase the chair, make sure you sit on it and ensure your feet lie on the floor whilst your knees are at 90°.
Adaptable: All individual components in the chair need to be adjustable to adapt with your body. The armrest, backrest, lumbar support, seat height and headrest have to be adjustable freely from each other.
Lower back support: The backrest should be comfortable for supporting the upper and lower back. It must properly support your natural back curve.
Lumbar support: It is important to have lumbar support since our lower back curves inward so the chair that you choose has to precisely adjust to this curve for comfort.
The size of the chair: While a chair that is too small will be uncomfortable, an oversized chair will also not be healthy. An ideal chair would be one inch wider than your hips.
Seat cushions: The cushion of the chair should be of excellent quality for ensuring that it can withstand your weight during long working hours. When the foam gets damaged, they will make sitting cumbersome.
Tilt Mechanism: You have to have the capability to tilt the chair’s back. That is useful when you sit for long hours in a stretch and you want to relieve strain on your back, you can recline the chair in order to rest your back.
This is not an extensive list, only an honest endeavor to note down the most important characteristics that you will need to check.
Keep in mind that before purchasing, you should always test the chair in person, otherwise if it is not possible, then still you can purchase the good ergonomic chair and try. You can always return them if they are not suitable for you.
What is the best chair for sitting all day?
Many people ask this question or a similar question: What is the best chair for programmers?. I always politely tell them.
Sorry, but I am unable to answer this question in just one line. The reason is simple. I can’t recommend an $1200 chair to a student. That’s the reason I tried to include a few best chairs in the different price ranges.
For example, if a budget is not a constraint you can go with Herman Miller Embody or Aeron. If you are a Steelcase fan, then you have an option to purchase a Steelcase leap chair.
Similarly, If you want the best chair for programmers under $300, then look no further and buy the Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair. Moreover, if you don’t want to spend over $100 then you can buy AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel Office Chair which is the best chair for programmers under $100 price range.
I believe, now you are clear. First, set a budget and then recheck my list. I am sure that you will find the best product available on the market.
Does the ergonomic office chair pay off?
There is a saying: Health is Wealth.
Let me tell you the facts, choosing the perfect chair to fit your body will be the most vital decision you will ever make through your professional career. Remember, sitting on a bad chair is like the smoking which can be as problematic over the long period of time.
Putting number of hours each day coding and sitting in the front of laptop can cause serious health problems, as mentioned above.
So, It is good to spend a few extra dollars on a comfy chair. If you are a serious programmer who loves the coding, and is aware that in the future you will still be writing code, than you should invest in a professional chair to avoid any back problems. That makes sense. Isn’t it?
Are gaming chairs good for programming?
Gaming chairs are ergonomically loaded. So better ergonomics better play against the discomfort and fatigue. As the programmers tend to spend half a day on their chairs, gaming chairs are good performers when it comes to extended programming sessions.
Which chair is best for posture?
There are two different things to understand. Firstly, chairs can’t remake an already bad posture. Secondly, the best chair can help stop a healthy and right sitting posture from going into the worst one.
Why is Herman Miller so expensive?
The premier brand invests an immense fortune in design and comfort research to form a technological sound and exceptionally comfort-orient seating setup. Also, Herman Miller chairs carry a prolonged warranty duration that also makes Herman miller an expensive luxury brand.
Finally, let me tell you my example. I become very productive when I am well. However, when I am not feeling well, I can’t focus on work no matter how much I try to focus.
Naturally, you need a place where you can put your computer and other stuff you need to do your job adequately. A perfect standing desk is an ideal match for an office chair for programmers since they work as two parts of the same setup, complementing each other and functioning to achieve the same goal.
The first thing you need to worry about when purchasing a desk or using an old one is the space available for you to put things in it. Before you try to add items to improve the aesthetic, make sure you have everything you need to work at hand without disturbing other components of the setup.
The same is true with the chair. If your chair is not comfortable, you can’t focus on your work. That’s the reason I always say that en ergonomic chair is not a luxury option but a necessity to work comfortably for 8-10 hours every day.
Coding needs a great mind juice, but don’t let a lousy recliner squeeze your back juice. For that reason, I have added plenty of luxury and comfortable programming chairs in my listing. But still, which comes on the Number 1 spot? It still needs an answer, I know.
So making an easy recommendation, I assumed Steelcase Gesture is a clear winner. The chair is elegant, minimal but technological sound in design and execution, delivers great performance delivery for long hours, and brings some unorthodox armrest setup. Yes, it still lacks the Backrest Height adjustment but features a high back backrest to cover this lack.
Best Chair for Developers – So Developers, coders, software engineers, and testers, you know, spending a heinous time on your desk is pretty regular at the office. A strong logical code is not only directly connected to your skills or mind but also your comfort. Apparently, a comfortable coding chair is the need of the hour in this situation.
Some of the coding minds love to have lavish office chairs, yet some (with their gaming genes) love to taste a best ergonomic gaming chair for their multi-purpose approach.
I have my own list of best chairs for Developers as I have plenty of programmers in my circle. While talking to them and through market research, I have picked up some big lavish names, plus some highly productive and affordable solutions for tech guys.
Whether you are a freelance individual, a corporate employee, or a micro agency, a best programming chair will positively boost work productivity. So, your primary concern should be the comfort that’ll allow you to be the super-star at your desk without getting hunted by spine and neck fatigues.