Best Chair for Fat People – All my years of being fat and looking for chairs have left me wondering, why is a comfortable chair for a fat person so hard to find?! What kind of people are even supposed to sit in the flimsy and anemic chairs that most stores sell?
I can understand why malls or restaurants don’t have chairs that fit me. They have to fit the majority of their customers who aren’t my size. However, why can’t I find sturdy chairs for home? Well, the answer is, we can find high-capacity chairs but they are hard to find and tend to be prohibitively expensive. This leads me to this buying guide! I have spent dozens of hours researching and testing the best chairs for a heavy person so you don’t have to!
I have stared at reviews, materials, and prices until my eyes were sore, followed by lots of hours of sitting to determine what worked and what didn’t. Now, I hope that you will never be uncomfortable again in your home! Don’t waste your time or money on chairs that are built for the average person. Get a quality chair that is designed for a heavy person and will last for many years! Let’s talk about seats!
*Over the course of my testing, I looked at dozens of chairs beyond the ones I included here. Be sure to click the link in each section if you want to see my full reviews, check out other chairs for fat people that I tested, and learn more.
1.Serta Big & Tall
This swivel chair doesn’t have the most adjustability features. It can swivel 360 degrees, you can adjust the height and the chair can recline a bit. But it is still remarkably comfortable because of its unique design. This is one of the Best Recliners for Tall Man.
The chair is very wide and has a very high back that is ideal for tall users. Its PU upholstery is easy to wipe clean. It has fixed curved armrests with lots of padding for a softer feel. You will feel very comfortable when you sit down in this chair because it has lots of seat padding and the chair has a padded backrest. These higher-end chairs are very easy to keep clean because the PU upholstery can be wiped clean.
With a 350 pounds user weight capacity, this chair is perfectly suitable for big and tall users. It has 5 heavy-duty 60mm castors that can handle your weight and it will look fantastic in any given office.
Pros & Cons
- FIT FOR AN EXECUTIVE: Enhance your office experience with the comfort and luxury of the Serta Big and Tall Executive Office Chair
- BIG AND TALL: Supports up to 350 pounds and has a generous seating area
- TRANQUIL SEATING EXPERIENCE: Deep layers of plush body pillows and hand-sculpted, upholstered armrests
- OPTIMAL NECK SUPPORT: An elevated headrest for improved neck support for taller individuals
- SMOOTH ROLLING: Multi-surface, dual-wheel designer casters make it easy to move around
- Min/Max Seat Height : 27" to 30.75"
The Sadie Big & Tall is the best office chair for fat guys because it has a weight capacity of 400 pounds of user weight. It also provides excellent lumbar support to reduce lower back pain in big people. This high-quality breathable chair also has a very wide seat with a thick seat cushion so you can sit without feeling squished in.
The tall mesh computer chair has a classy design with a mesh back that keeps you cool. At the back, you can adjust the height of your lumbar support. The armrest height can also adjust up to 8.4 inches high which is perfect for resting your shoulders or for helping you achieve maximum comfort while you work. You can also tilt your chair backward when you take a break from work.
The amazing swivel chair is very sturdy. 5 Castor wheels allow you to glide smoothly away from your desk. And if you are worried about your casters getting caught in the carpet then you should get the best chair mat for a heavy person. These mats are ideal for protecting your flooring.
Pros & Cons
- COOLING MESH BACK WORK CHAIR: Added comfort with breathable fabric that you can relax into
- COMFORTABLE HOME OFFICE CHAIR: The adjustable chair back adapts to fit various body sizes and helps reduce pressure on the lower spine
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: Ergonomically formed seat fits nearly any body and adjustable-height arms allow for added customization
- ADJUSTABLE ARM OFFICE CHAIR: Height-adjustable arms provide all-day support for upper body and shoulders. Chair Seat : Seat Depth - Useable: 18.0 Inch. Seat Overall Depth: 18.0 Inch. Seat Width: 20.0 Inch
- HEAVY DUTY AND DURABLE OFFICE FURNITURE: Durable sandwich mesh, adjustable arms, and 250 pound weight capacity
3.OFM ESS Chair
The OFM Ess tall executive office chair has the most affordable price on our list. Despite its cheap price, this chair still offers quite a few benefits. Many feel that the OFM Ess should be considered as one of the best gaming chairs under $100 because it offers superior comfort.
This swivel chair is available in three different colors and it is very warm thanks to its durable microfiber upholstery. This high-quality material ensures good durability. The seat height can adjust and the seat and back are layered with lots of padding. The padding on the fixed armrests will keep you from getting sore arms while you work or enjoy games.
This tall amazing office chair is not the best for extremely heavy guys. It has a weight capacity of just 250 pounds of user weight. But the frame is tough enough to handle a 300-pound drop test. The wheels are also very durable. You should be able to get at least 46.6 miles from your casters.
You can also tilt your seat back to sit more comfortably. The solid back is ideal for handling lots of tilting and the tilt function on these budget chairs has been tested 100,000 times.
Pros & Cons
- EXECUTIVE CHAIR: This supportive fabric chair offers a comfy feel at a compelling price.
- OFFICE CHAIR WITH ARMS: This home office chair has padded fixed arms for extra upper body support to keep you comfortable
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: With a fully adjustable seat height and seat back recline, this computer chair can match your comfort and work preferences
- DURABLE OFFICE FURNITURE: This heavy duty chair has a 250 pound weight capacity for long-lasting
- Assembly required
- WARRANTY & SUPPORT: Relax knowing this desk chair is backed by the Essentials by OFM Essentials 5-Year Limited Warranty
4.Hbada Office Chair
Tall folk who need an aesthetic office chair or gaming chair should sit up and take notice of this chair by Hbada. We absolutely love the futuristic look of this office chair.
But the desk chair isn’t just pretty. It is also very functional with its ergonomic design. The mesh back design will keep you nice and cool in summers and the native sponge seat cushion offers plenty of support and a great level of comfort.
The amazing tall office chair’s lumbar support can adjust and the armrests can flip up or adjust. This makes it possible to get the support you need in your back’s lumbar region even if you are shorter or taller. You can also recline this executive mesh computer chair in three positions of 90 up to 125 degrees while you take a break from work. The tall chair height can also adjust. All of these customizable ergonomic features make this chair a great investment for tall people.
You should however take note that the swivel task tall chair has a weight limit of 250 pounds of body weight. The swivel chair is unsuitable for people that weigh more than 250 pounds. Exceeding this weight limit can cause your chair casters to break, the cushioning might flatten or the lift gasket in the mesh computer chair might start to malfunction.
Pros & Cons
- Space Saving: Flip-up Arms to meet different needs, you can push the office chair directly under the desk to use more area.
- Double Support: 2 Lumbar Support provides customized ergonomic support relieving your fatigue from sitting for a long time.
- Rocking Leisure Function: Push in to lock in an upright position, and pull out to activate the rocking motion, Chair height is adjustable.
- High-Quality Material: Thick seat cushion is not easily deformed and is soft and comfortable; the Mesh back keeps air circulation extra comfy.
- Stable & Durable: High bearing capacity base with smooth and silenced rolling wheels, Max Capacity 250lbs.
- Customer Service: Free replacement parts for you within one year. No matter what problems you encounter during use, you can contact us. We will provide you with professional services on the product.
5.PatioMage Gaming Chair
If your current chair does not sit well with you then you should upgrade to the PatioMage heavy duty office chair. This is a terrific alternative chair for bigger body sizes because the rock-solid office chair has a weight capacity of 300 pounds where standard office chairs usually only have a weight capacity of about 200 pounds of user weight. The seat and back of this swivel chair are also very wide so you can sit comfortably.
These high-end amazing chairs are fully adjustable. You can alter the height of the seat. The armrests can flip up or be placed in different positions. And the heavy-duty computer chair has a rock function and reclines up to 180 degrees and it swivels 360 degrees.
The breathable mesh back will keep you nice and cool in summers while the thick seat cushion keeps you comfy while you work for long hours on end.
Five durable casters allow you to slide around in your office as smooth as silk. It certainly is one of the best office chairs for a larger person. A lot of businesses love this swivel chair because it can handle a lot of weight and the wide range of color schemes makes it easy to find something that suits your office colors. The flip-up offers optimal because you can easily flip the rests up when you sit in front of a desk or when you join in on a meeting at a large table.
Pros & Cons
- Ergonomic Design: Strong metal frame of this gaming chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline and pneumatic height adjustment, keep you comfy after long time of game or work. The thick seat back cushion keep your body relaxed, supported and cool so you can concentrate on work.
- High-Quality Material: PatioMage gaming chair is made with smooth PU leather which is sturdy and durable! Easy to clean. Our gaming chair seats is filled with thick and soft foam which keep you feel comfortable after palying games, working or studying for long time. Heavy-duty base and nylon smooth-rolling casters provide great stability and mobility. The maximum Weight Capacity: 300lbs
- Multi-Function: Our gaming chair can recline between 90° to 180°. You can lock it at any position you want and the lock is very stable. The armrests can be adjusted flexibly to support the elbow. It is suitable for different desktop heights. In addition, you can adjust the chairs height per your needs and it has 360° swivel and 5-point base built, smooth-rolling and wear-resistant wheels installed, which also can protect your floorto avoid of scratch
- Easy to Assemble- All screws and small parts are provided with the packet with clearly marked labels. The assembly instruction is easy to follow. You will get a modern, fashion and comfortable office chair after you assemble it exactly following all steps in the instruction.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: Each gaming chair was made at high standards and passed strict test before packaging to make sure all customers can get the best product and service. If you have any problems, please feel free to contact us and we will reply you within 24 hours
The Modway EEI-757 is also one of the best office chairs for larger users. Many also choose this as a gaming chair. heavy persons. It has a large weight capacity of 331 pounds, the base and casters are very strong and the chair seat has thick comfortable padding.
You can get this chair in a wide range of colors and even though it looks like traditional office chairs, it offers many ergonomic features. The chair’s back is made with mesh fabric to keep you nice and cool during summer. You can adjust the height of the armrests from 27.5 up to 30 inches which is very nice for reducing tension in your neck and shoulders.
The amazing swivel chair can also tilt backward and you can lock it into the tilted position. All of the adjustments are very simple to access. Just pull on one of the levers to adjust your seat height or to tilt your chair backward for a more comfortable seating experience.
This versatile chair is also a good pick if you need to correct poor posture. The seat of the chair is designed to help you sit straight and upright in your chair. The adjustable armrests also help you sit in a healthier position.
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR - Featuring reliable ergonomic support, Articulate comes with a breathable mesh back, passive lumbar support, and generously padded and contoured 6” thick mesh seat cushion
- RELIABLE COMFORT - Designed with productivity in mind, Articulate is perfect for everyday use. Sturdy and supportive, this executive office chair holds up to 331 lbs and comes in a variety of colors
- ADJUSTABLE SEATING - Articulate is a computer chair that easily adjusts to your needs with height adjustable armrests, one-touch chair height adjustment, 360 degree swivel, and a tilt and lock system. Seat : 18 - 22"H
- OFFICE UPDATE - Refresh your office space with this versatile choice for computer desks and workstations. Enjoy mobility over carpeted or hardwood floors with five dual-wheel casters
- OFFICE CHAIR MEASUREMENTS - Product Dimensions: 26.5"L x 26"W x 34 - 39"H; Armrest Height: 27.5”H - 32"H. Backrest Height- 22 H inch. Cushion Thickness-6 inch. Floor to top of Bacrest- 37 - 41.5 H inches, Seat To Top of Backrest- 22 inch
What Makes A Good Chair For A Fat Person?
If you are looking for a different type of chair than I offered then let’s talk about what you should be looking for! While some of these are common sense, I’m betting there is an item or two you hadn’t thought of.
Weight capacity is obviously first and foremost on any heavy person’s mind when they’re shopping for plus-size furniture. However, you might need an even higher capacity than you think. When you’re sitting in a chair, you’re static and exerting only the force of your weight on the chair. However, during the act of sitting, your momentum results in a dynamic force that may exceed the weight capacity temporarily but drastically. For this reason, I recommend that you look for a heavy-duty chair with a capacity a bit above what you think you need.
This is the most important tip out there. Not only for just heavy persons but also everyone who has desk jobs needs to buy office chairs with ergonomic features. This is because people spend more than 6 hours on an average sitting. So they are most likely to develop back pain and other physical issues like neck pain. Adjustable ergonomic features can help you to minimize those issues.
So, before buying any office chair, check for some essential ergonomic features below:
- Adjustable Height
- Adjustable Seat Depth
- Adjustable Seat Tilt
- Adjustable Back Rest:
- Adjustable Lumbar Support
- Arm Rests
Find an office chair With Higher Weight Limit:
As a heavy person, the weight limit of an office chair can be a serious issue. If you are a big and tall guy of let’s say 400 pounds and you buy an office chair of 300 pounds, then the longevity of that chair will be decreased, and your seating experience will be hampered greatly.
So, check for the weight limits before buying any office chair as see if that chair can support your weight.
Check if the Seat is Wider:
If you are a big guy, you will need to confirm that the chair seat has enough space for you if you want to sit comfortably. Most standard office chairs are built for people of average size.
This often becomes a problem for small and big guys. The chairs that we have mentioned in this article have wider seat areas. So if you buy any chair, you have to ensure that the chair has a wider seat.
Ensure that the chair is stable and Sturdy:
Chair stability is crucial. If you buy a chair, you have to check if that chair is perfectly stable. Stable chairs make the sitting experience better. On the other hand, an unstable chair can hamper your sitting experience by creating discomfort and you will not be able to sit continuously for long hours in such a chair.
Look for 360 Degree swivel:
This feature is very common in office chairs these days. The swivel option will allow you to move around and pick up nearby things without getting up every time you need to get something. Having this feature can be a blessing for big guys and everyone out there who has desk jobs like me. So, look for this feature while buying an office chair.
Average Pricing of a Heavyweight chair:
The average price of a heavyweight or big and tall office chair is around 300 dollars. These chairs are slightly higher priced because of better build quality and more weight capacity in general.
Feels sturdy. Personally, I prefer a chair that feels solid and sturdy. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that it just has a high capacity. There are yoga balls that will support 500 pounds but I’d never feel sturdy on one. Because of this preference I look for chairs without a lot of spring or give in them (unless we’re talking about recliners).
Extra-wide chair area. There is absolutely no point in having a chair with a 1,000-pound capacity if only a 140-pound person could fit on it. Look for a chair with an extra-wide seating surface and without bars or frame supports on the side would restrict you from using the edge space as well.
Affordable. A lot of heavy-duty chairs on the market are either way overpriced or their “heavy-duty rating” is simply a marketing gimmick. Focus your search on chairs from brands you’ve heard of and be sure to balance the reviews you read with the price.
Easy to get out of. A chair that is comfortable to sit in but difficult to get out of will not be a favorite of anyone, particularly if they are large and have joint problems. The height of the chair you need is based on your height and personal preference so be sure to measure a chair you already have so you know what to look for.
Multiple color/design options. A lot of chairs marketed to obese people would be at home in a care center or hospital. If that matches your motif, that’s great. However, I always want my plus-size furniture to blend in and look great. It’s always a good feeling when a heavy family member and friend is wary of sitting in my “normal chair” and I can tell them not to worry because it’s extra heavy duty!
So if you needed a chair for heavy people, I hope you either found what you needed or at least have the skills to go out and find your own! So get your chair, snuggle in, and let your home become your kingdom. Happy sitting!
What is the best ergonomic chair for fat people?
My top pick would be the Steelcase Leap Plus. It supports up to 500 lbs of weight, provides lots of wiggle room, and has a cutting-edge ergonomic design. It has a ton of high-end features that help to properly support your spine and promote good posture.
What is the most durable type of chair base?
The new standard for office and gaming chairs is to use a 5-star base, which is superior to a 4-star base. Heavy-duty steel bases are usually the best as they are stronger and more durable than other materials. Aluminum is also a good option as it is both strong and lightweight. It’s better to avoid plastic bases as they are less durable and can support less weight.
What makes a chair ergonomic?
A chair is ergonomic if it effectively supports you to maintain good posture with the least amount of effort. Factors that make a chair ergonomic include lumbar support, adjustability, shape/design, a tall backrest, well-positioned and adjustable armrests, and more.
How do I determine the best chair seat depth for me?
To calculate the right seat depth for your body, sit in an upright position on a chair and measure the distance from the base of your spine to the furthest end of your inner thighs. Subtract 2 inches from that measurement to find the perfect chair seat depth.
How do I determine the best chair seat width for me?
To calculate your perfect seat width, sit upright with your thighs slightly open. Next, measure the distance laterally across your thighs. Finally, add 2 inches to your measurement. This calculation will give you the optimal seat width for your body. Chairs with this seat width should give you 1 inch of wiggle room on either side. If you prefer to spread your legs wider as you sit, add an extra 2-4 inches.
How Much Weight Does an Office Chair Hold?
Generally, most standard office chairs in the market can hold 200-250 pounds. However, some big and tall office chairs can hold up to 500 pounds. You will also find some cheap office chairs in the market that have a weight capacity below 200 pounds.
How strict are weight limits in an office chair?
The maximum weight limit information that the manufacturer provides is the dynamic weight capacity. Generally, office chairs that hold a certain amount of static weight will have the capability of holding less than half of the static weight.
That means if an office chair has the capacity to hold 800 pounds of static load, it will have the capability to hold less than 400 pounds of dynamic weight capacity. Manufacturers strictly suggest following the weight limits for using an office chair and get an optimal experience.
If you are a healthy person and weigh over 250 pounds, any standard chair with a weight limit of 200-250 pounds will not be both comfortable and safe for you. So, You will need office chairs that have a capacity of more than 250 pounds. In this article, We have listed out the best big and tall office chairs for heavy people with a maximum weight capacity of 300-500 pounds.
An office chair with a 250-400 lbs weight capacity is classified as a heavy-duty chair. Only a handful of office chairs have a capacity of over 300 lbs, and some of them are from well-known brands.
We did our research and got about ten best heavy-duty chairs. In this blog, we will be talking about the features, durability & weight capacity, and the chairs’ reliability.
Furniture and Chairs for fat people have and will forever be a problem that is always hard to solve for most of us. As a fat person, I know these challenges first hand as with obesity comes mobility issues and the need always to sit. But since we are fat, we can’t just sit on any chair.
We need something large enough to fit our wider hips and durable enough that it won’t break under our weight as soon as we sit on it. These issues are matters we face everywhere. The good thing is that most of us don’t move around that often, so we don’t have to worry too much about issues like if a fat person can fit in the plane seats, or the restaurants, etc. But what is worrying is finding a good chair for our personal use.
Most manufacturers don’t even mention the weight capacity of their chairs. That goes to show that they don’t take us, fat persons, into consideration. In most cases, normal chairs have a weight limit of 250 lbs which is far from enough for a real overweight person.
The best chairs for fat people must at least offer a weight capacity of 350+ Lbs. But those are rare, like unicorns, and if you don’t know exactly where to look and what to look for, you’ll never find a heavy-duty chair for heavy people.
In this article, I’ve compiled the best chairs for heavy people for any and every situation. And I’ve also included links at the bottom for the best beds and other furniture for fat people. By the end of this article, you’ll know what’s the best chairs for heavy people and how to select them based on your weight. So make sure you stick around till the end.
Best Chair for Fat People – I hope you found this post helpful. Choosing the right office chair can be difficult, especially because of all the options available.
If you’re looking for the best office chairs for Fat people, then you can’t go wrong with any on this list.
I did my best to include chairs of all different styles and price points, so you’ll surely find something that that’s the right fit for you. Keep in mind that choosing the right chair can be very subjective.
Since it’s a matter of personal preference, I would highly suggest trying them out first in a physical store if you have the option to find one that really fits your body type.
And finally, remember that choosing the perfect office chair is an investment, especially if you’re a heavier individual.
Since office chairs for heavier people are larger, they’ll typically cost a bit more. Also, if you’re a very heavy person, you’ll also need to keep in mind that your body weight will wear on the chair quicker.
Office chairs tend to be designed to accommodate people of average sizes and weights.
Heavier and larger people deserve to have a high-quality, healthy, and comfortable office chair too.
Good thing there are plenty of options available.
Sometimes, if you can, spending a little more up front on a quality chair that will last will end up saving you money in the long run.