Best Chair for kids – While we all scrambled to make due this past spring, there’s now some time to prepare properly for our teens and tweens to be learning from home. We owe it to our children (and ourselves) to make this virtual learning experience as comfortable as possible. Possibly the most important item we can get is the best kid’s desk chair we can buy.
Even during “normal” times, the right desk chair for kids mattered. The older children get, the more time they have to spend doing their school work. A desk is very useful, as it gives teenagers a quiet space to work on assignments or study for exams (but even younger kids will find a desk useful). However, often the best kids desk and chair don’t come as one set.
You’ll need to keep in mind that what is in stock today might not be available tomorrow. Eventually the world’s supply chain will catch up and there will be time for browsing – but for now if you know you need a comfortable kids desk chair soon and you find it in stock, you can’t depend it will be available for sale a day from now. That’s why preparation is key.
Looking for a desk for your teen a or tween? Here’s our list of the best teenager desk and office chairs available now in 2022. We’ve spent over 30 hours researching, looking at reviews, and combing through the available chair choices to come up with these great study chairs for kids.
Your child will get a comfortable and supportive seat with this stylish choice. Easy to assemble, this chair requires only eight bolts, which are included, so older kids are able to put it together themselves. There’s a choice of four bright colors and the fishbone design seat-back is stylish and breathable.
The chair’s maximum weight is up to 200 pounds, so this height-adjustable, rolling, and 360-swivel seat is perfect for older kids and teens. Reviewers praise the seat’s small footprint, comfort, and ease of assembly.
Pros & Cons
- Ergonomic low back student computer chair with lovly colorful PP back & seat with hollow star.
- 360-degree swivel computer chair, smooth-rolling colorful strong casters flexible move, fit for children and students' homework desk.
- Seat-height adjustment by Pneumatic,the seat can be raised or lowered to suit your comfort level.
- Size:15.9" * 15.9" * 29.5- 34.3", package in carton in good protection, the office chair ship from US wearhouse, a perfect gift for boys and girls.
- Greenforest children desk chair with instruction and tool, you can easily assemble it without depending on any professional help, so you can get started right away.
2.ApexDesk DX Series
While it doesn’t have a footrest or armrests, Sheehan says this less expensive chair is a solid option for those who want to spend a little less because it has an adjustable seat and a backrest that can move between 21 and 32 inches high. She also likes that the chair has a locking caster base that allows it to swivel 15 degrees to the left and the right when engaged.
“The locking mechanism stops the chair from swiveling too much,” she explains, “keeping the child in a proper, stable position but also allowing for easy exit should they need to stand up.”
Pros & Cons
- X – Are designed with your child's growing needs in mind and matches perfectly with the Little Soleil Adjustable Study Desk (sold separately).
- – The seat's height is adjustable from 12" to 21" inches, and the backrest height is adjustable from 21" to 32" inches both can easily be adjusted by the twist & lock knob.
- – Ergonomically-contoured and comfortable seat/backrest that is perfect for small children to relax and focus on homework, reading, writing, and drawing.
- - – Includes a durable steel-constructed frame and features a five-star base with locking casters can swivel the seat 15 degree left and right when locked.
- – All tools and hardware are included, and assembly is easily completed in about 10 minutes for most users.
3.Ergonomic Kids Desk Chair
This chair, recommended by Kwon, has a fixed footrest that’s larger than the so-called foot bar on the model we named best overall, making it a better option for kids who need more surface area to plant their feet and “support their body weight from falling or pulling to the ground.”
(That said, if you’re looking to save some money, Kwon admits that a box or stool you already own can serve as a basic footrest.) The model, which also comes in pink, features other ergonomic details including armrests that fold from zero to 90 degrees and can be raised or lowered, a split-back backrest that can be raised or lowered and has rotating panels, an adjustable seat (along with helpful markings so you can keep track of your child’s preferred height), and self-locking wheels.
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMICS FOR YOUR GROWING CHILD: 3D Ergonomic design used to embrace backrest, and a comfortable seat helps children sit in a healthy posture.
- HEIGHT & DEPTH ADJUSTING FUNCTION: Height and depth can easily be adjusted, designed for growing children of different ages, which help children be at the appropriate height and depth when seated.
- SIT-BRAKE CASTERS: When weighing more than 33 lbs, the seat and caster will stop moving. When not seated, it can quickly shift.
- FOOTREST & ARMREST: For added support and comfort- they offer the user a better sitting experience.
- FREE SEAT & BACKREST COVER: Easy to remove the elastic fabric and easy to wash. Three covers included - one for the seat cushion and two for the backrest.
- WARNING: Not for children under 3 years.
4.Hbada Office Chair
“The Hbada office chair has a supportive design that curves with the spine to promote proper alignment,” says Okubadejo. He explains that this design “focuses support on the lumbar region, which can often feel uncomfortable as kids tilt backward or sink into their seats and cause unnecessary pressure there.”
The chair, he adds, is durable, and its S-curve backrest is made with a breathable mesh fabric. While it lacks a footrest, it does have armrests that flip up or down and a seat with an adjustable height that can also tilt back. This chair, like the Ebern Designs chair above, is designed for adults, but Kwon notes that teens’ bodies are closer to adults’ than to children’s, so if you’re looking for a chair for a tween, it’s a good idea to think about getting one made for adults.
Pros & Cons
- Home Office Desk Chair - Sleek design and simple adjustment mid-back desk chair. Match different decorative styles. Ergonomic backrest fit the natural curve of the lower back and take the pain of spinal away from your body
- Space Saving - You can flip the arms up and put the chair under the desk for saving space.Suitable for livingroom, study room, conference room and office
- Breathable - High density mesh back, flexible supportive, breathable. Designed to support your lower back
- Adjustable - Hbada home office task chair has a 120° tilt tension, pneumatic height adjustable from 16.5 inch to 19.5 inch, match different stature. Weight capacity: 250lb.
- Stable & durable: Heavy duty base with smooth and silenced rolling casters, Max Capacity 250lbs
- Customer Warranty Service: Hbada provides three years warranty that is processed in the most hassle-free way possible. Customer-first is the original aspiration of Hbada.No matter what problems you encounter during use, you can contact us. We will provide you with professional services on the product.
5.Delta Children MySize Chair
Younger kids may appreciate having a full-service station for all their needs. This set includes an all-in-one desk, chair, storage bin, and removable cup holder for snacks or art supplies. The seat holds kids up to 50 pounds, so it has a limited life span, but can be useful for toddlers that are home and may want their own workspace to mimic their parents or older siblings.
Parents praise the easy-to-clean material but complain that there’s no way to set this seat up as a “lefty” desk, so may not be the best choice for any southpaw kiddos.
Pros & Cons
- AGE RANGE: Recommended for ages 3+
- TONS OF STORAGE: This Chair Desk features a removable cup holder for art supplies and fabric storage bin under the seat for books, toys or additional art supplies
- EXTREMELY SAFE: We know chemicals have no place in your kid's space, so we use a non-toxic multi-step painting process that is lead and phthalate safe
- DURABLE: Scratch-resistant finish protects the colorful graphics | Made of engineered wood and fabric | Wipe clean with a dry cloth
- IDEAL SIZE: Dimensions: 20.47"L x 22.83"W x 23.23"H | Sits low to the ground for easy access | Features a large work surface | The perfect place for preschool kids and toddlers to develop their fine motor skills as they draw, paint and write
Hodedah is a small armless chair built for easy mobility. You can raise it to suit your back, which ensures an optimum comfort level. The fabric is of high quality and has a premium black color. It is also very mobile because of the swivel functionality and wheels.
The ergonomic features include an adjustable seat height that locks into place at your desired height. It has full 360-degree swivel capability with a 5-star nylon base with dual-wheel casters.
With this chair, you can adjust your comfort level with ease. Just by pulling a simple lever, you can adjust the height from 16 to 20 inches. With its perfect height, it gives you enough space to rest your feet. In addition to that, it has a two-inch cushion seat and a backrest as well. The design reduces the strain on the back and legs, and you can sit on it for long hours.
If you ask us, it is an excellent product when it comes to durability. The nylon base comes with dual wheels for high mobility wooden surfaces. The quality of construction is fantastic, and the fabric is premium, which will last for years.
Pros & Cons
- Upholstered with faux leather for long lasting comfort
- Seat height adjustment with the pull of a lever and cushioned seat for all day comfort
- 5-star high chrome crown base that adds a classy look
- Dual wheel wheel casters for mobility on any type of flooring
- Swivels for an exceptional practicality
How to Choose a Kids’ Desk
While it’s easy to assume that all kids desk chairs offer similar performance, a number of factors affect their functionality. A children’s desk chair should be sturdy, comfortable, and the proper height for them to sit with a neutral posture. Keep reading to learn more about several of the most important features to consider when choosing the best kids desk chair to provide a comfortable study environment for your child.
Size and Adjustability
The appropriate size for a kids desk chair will depend primarily on a child’s height and weight. Ergonomics experts recommend that children have a desk chair that allows them to sit with their feet planted firmly on the ground—not dangling—and their knees bent at a 90-degree angle. If the child is working at a computer, the chair should be high enough to type with their wrists parallel to the keyboard. Seat width and depth are also important. The seat should be large enough to be comfortable but not too deep or wide to prevent the child from maintaining a straight posture while sitting back in the chair.
This criterion makes an adjustable-height chair a smart purchase because it can adapt as your child grows. Chairs featuring pneumatic height control are easier to adjust than those that require manual adjustment.
A kids desk chair can be made with a number of different materials, each of which has its own benefits.
- Plastic chairs are easy to wipe down, making them a logical choice for younger children who are more likely to make a mess while studying or doing arts and crafts projects. Think spilled juice or a sticky glue bottle.
- Wood chairs are solid and durable but may be uncomfortable to sit in for several hours at a time.
- Steel frames make for sturdy office-style chairs for older children and teens.
- Mesh often covers the cushions of office-style chairs to provide added breathability.
- High-density memory foam is used for the backrest, the seat, and the armrest padding on ergonomic desk chairs.
Comfort is paramount when choosing a desk chair for a child. Since kids will potentially be sitting for hours at a time, the best kids desk chair should be comfortable enough to encourage proper focus.
Ergonomic desk chairs are typically designed with lumbar support as well as padded seats, backrests, and armrests for optimal comfort. A child’s shoulders should be relaxed while sitting at a desk, and armrests help to achieve this position if they’re adjusted to the correct height.
While office-style chairs are usually more comfortable, they are also often more expensive. Remember that while in school, children tend to sit on simply designed chairs that don’t swivel or have cushioning (although it’s definitely parental prerogative to offer them more comfort at home).
Children who find it difficult to sit still may enjoy an alternative option like a wobble stool or a balance ball chair, both of which provide and encourage continuous motion to help them focus.
These days, children’s furniture is often designed with aesthetics in mind, replicating the appearance of on-trend home decor pieces rather than an item you’d find in a school or a day care center. This trend is especially beneficial for those living in smaller homes where children may be working in common living areas.
Fun, kid-friendly designs and brightly colored pieces work well for children who have a dedicated work space in a bedroom or playroom. Office-style chairs are better suited for older kids and teens who want a more grown-up, professional setup in the work space.
For ideal posture, a desk chair should allow the child to sit with their entire back touching the backrest. Ergonomically designed chairs usually have an S-curve, as well as lumbar support, to fit the curve of the spine. A padded backrest makes a chair more comfortable, and some backrests offer adjustability, which makes it more likely that ideal posture is achievable.
While it is preferable that a child can sit with their back naturally supported by the backrest, a cushion or a rolled-up towel can also provide back support if the chair is slightly too large.
Some desk chairs are equipped with additional features.
- Chairs that swivel offer extra mobility during study time.
- Seat tilting allows kids to make small adjustments and switch positions to increase comfort and support.
- A built-in footrest is a handy addition for kids who still need to grow into their desk setup or just want to elevate their lower legs and feet for added comfort.
- Casters provide kids the freedom to move around the room without leaving the chair.
- Nonslip feet secure stationary chairs that are placed on tile or hardwood floors.
The following recommendations take into account the above-mentioned features to consider when shopping for the best kids desk chairs, in addition to overall quality and value. Keep reading to discover some of the top options on the market to create a comfortable studying space.
Whether your kid is virtual learning or just needs a good place to sit to do their homework, they can benefit from a desk chair. However, you want to make sure that the chair is the right size for them. Oversized chairs might be too big for your toddlers and miniature chairs may be too snug for your bigger kids. If the chair fits your child’s body well, they will be more likely to enjoy sitting in it—and get their work done.
< id="mntl-sc-block_3-0-4" class="comp mntl-sc-block litho-sc-block commerce-sc-block-subheading--family commerce-sc-block-subheading--verywell-base commerce-sc-block-subheading mntl-sc-block-subheading">Wheels vs. No Wheels
Wheels on your child’s desk chair can be useful—and a fun feature many kids may enjoy. However, if the access to constant motion has the potential to distract them, you may want to opt for a chair that doesn’t have wheels. You’ll also want to consider the space your child will be in and whether having wheels will be suitable for that environment.
Whether you choose a plush chair that they can sink into or an ergonomic option that provides supreme support, comfort should be at the top of your checklist when picking out a desk chair for your little learner. It will help them stay in their seat until the job is done.
Typically, desk chairs should last for years. However, if yours is wobbly or broken, it’s likely time for a new one. You’ll also want to replace your desk chair if your child has outgrown a too-small one, as you’ll want them to have a comfortable fit.
< id="mntl-sc-block-faq__content_1-section-1" class="accordion__header js-accordion-trigger">How do I clean a desk chair?
Read the cleaning instructions, if any, that come along with your desk chair. Depending on the material used in the desk chair, use a dry or wet cloth to remove any stains, dust, or dirt.
While a desk chair is better for long stretches of work than a less-supportive couch or armchair, It’s not healthy for kids (or adults) to stay seated at a desk chair all day long. Depending on their age, kids have limited attention spans and ability to sit still—and even if they can do it, it’s not ideal. Every 20 or 30 minutes for little ones and every hour or so for big kids, be sure to have your child get up from their chair for some movement, such as stretching, yoga, or a run around the block.
The Right Fit
Here are some points to keep in mind when buying kids’ desk chairs.
- Adjustable: Ensure the seat has adjustable height and backrest. This will allow the child to sit at the right height at any desk. The backrest should fit the spine curvature and offer back support, and improve posture.
- Footrest: If the chair seems a bit high for the kid, make sure it has a footrest to keep the knees at a 90° angle while sitting.
- Swivel and wheels: A swivel chair is fun and offers the child the freedom to move along the table or across the room. Caster wheels help maneuver easily.
- Cushioning: Make sure the seat is well-cushioned for comfort and support, while the back of the chair should allow air circulation to prevent sweat.
What Makes A Chair Ergonomic?
- The following features make an ergonomic chair.
- Height: The seat height will determine if your feet stay flat on the floor. A chair with adjustable height is recommended.
- Seat width and depth: The seat depth should be two to four inches between the back of the knees and the edge of the seat.
- Seat tilt: A good ergonomic seat should have a slight tilting feature.
- Backrest: The backrest should offer lumbar support and support the natural ‘S’ curvature of the spine along with a recline feature.
- Swivel: The swivel motion helps maneuverability, making movement across the table less stressful.
- Arm and headrests: Arm and headrest reduce stress on the upper body, relaxing the shoulders and neck.
Kids need proper chairs to sit at their desks all day. The body needs to have optimal comfort with support for the joints and muscles. An uncomfortable chair will cause back pain and tension in the body. We hope our list of the best kids’ desk chairs can help you choose the right one.
Kids are spending more time than ever sitting. Virtual learning is now the new normal, and kids spend hours in front of their computers or tablets learning from home. It’s so important that kids are comfortable while they’re learning and that their bodies stay supported. Many parents are searching for desks and desk chairs right now to help their kids tackle remote learning successfully, but it’s important to know which items are best for kids’ growing bodies.
Michelle Despres, an ergonomist and physical therapist at One Call, says that when it comes to picking the right desk chair for kids, “adjustability is key.” “At a minimum, a chair should allow for adjustment of height,” she told Parenting. “It is a great idea to have an adjustable back and adjustable seat pan tilt, and if it has arms, they should have height modification options.”
If you’re thinking of just using a chair you already own, you might want to reconsider. “Since children may be smaller in stature, having one chair for the entire family to use may not always be a perfect fit,” says Despres.
Picking out an ergonomic desk chair is one way for kids to feel comfortable and stay focused while learning. And because kids are expected to sit for extended periods of time, there are even wiggle chairs that support their spines while allowing them to move.
When shopping for a desk chair for kids, Despres has some expert tips to consider:
- The ideal sitting position is leaning all the way back in the chair with shoulders relaxed and feet flat on the floor.
- The seat pan should not be pushing against the back of the knees, and if possible, there should be a space of about two finger widths.
- If a child uses an adult-sized chair, consider adding a footrest to support feet, so they’re not dangling.
Once you purchase a chair, you should check every few weeks that it’s still suited to your child height. Kids grow so fast, so you may find yourself adjusting the settings multiple times a year.
“Remember that any changes to the chair may impact the monitor height, keyboard height, and foot support,” says Despres. “Additional workstation adjustments might be needed to make an ideal workstation environment and reduce the risk of fatigue, discomfort, and injuries. These modifications will drastically improve comfort, productivity, and well-being. Remember to take micro-breaks and change positions frequently to promote healthy circulation.”
Comfortable Kids Desk Chair Advice
Whether it’s for homeschooling, remote learning, or just doing homework, a comfortable and supportive desk chair is essential to a child’s productive home study environment. Developing good posture starts at a young age, and the right desk chair can help.
While studying at the dining room table is a workable short-term solution, investing in a chair that is specifically designed for children is important to create an optimal setting for your child to complete homework and even learn from home. Read on to learn about several key features to consider when shopping for this style of chair, and then explore some of the best kids desk chairs available online.
- Some teen desks come with a chair as part of the package, but if yours does not, you will need to find a suitable chair for your child. Adult desk chairs tend to be too big for younger children, so it is sensible to look at kids desk chairs that are the right size. It may be helpful if your child can try a desk chair before you buy it, but if this is not possible, use your child’s height as a rough guide when purchasing a desk chair. Adjustable chairs offer extra versatility.
- The best kids desk chairs have just as many features as adult desk chairs. Look for support handles, adjustable height chairs, and since comfort is crucial, look for one with ergonomic design. Lastly, do not forget to take color and the overall style into account. It does not matter how comfortable a chair is – if it does not look “right”, your child will probably turn their nose up at it! Some might like a natural birch or bamboo chair, for example. Here is our guide to nine of the best teens’ desk chairs.
Best Chair for kids – Schools will look different for kids this fall in many areas across the country. Children in Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., will go back to school under a remote learning plan, while those in New York City will operate under a mix of remote and in-person learning. And, of course, there are plenty of kids who will do remote learning in other areas of the U.S.
As a result, parents are working hard to try to set up mini schools in their homes. Pinterest is flooded with suggestions on how to create fun at-home workstations for kids, and desks designed for children are selling out everywhere. But, while you can make the space warm and inviting for your child, picking out a kid-friendly chair is a surprisingly daunting task.
Whether your kids are home for virtual school or are simply doing their homework or other projects at a desk, they need a comfortable and supportive place to sit. When searching for a great desk chair for kids, consider the size of the desk chair you need and whether you want something plush or ergonomic or super-simple. Additionally, think about whether or not you want a chair on wheels.
Finding the right desk chair will help to create a productive workstation for your kiddo, so check out our choices for desk chairs for kids.