Best Chair for Lower Back and Hip Pain at Home – The best office chairs for back pain and Hip Pain at Home are ergonomic chairs with built-in lumbar support. The lumbar region, also known as your lower back, needs support between the chair and the natural inward curve of your spine. Having this support helps you maintain a good and healthy posture. Without lumbar support, the natural tendency is to either slouch or lean forward, and the muscles in your back have to work even harder to support your spine’s correct alignment, which tires them out.
Working for long hours while seated can cause a lot of pain and injuries if you are not using the right chair. What type of job do you have? Do you work standing or sitting for long periods? Either way, you need to invest in the right furniture to cut out pain and injuries.
Consider buying the best chair for lower back and hip pain if you sit at work for long hours. On the market, you are sure to find an office chair for lower back and hip pain. First things first, do you know why your lower back and hip hurt when you sit in a chair for a long time? Maybe not.
How does the pain impact your health in the long run? To answer this question, read on to find out what it means to have this work-related pain. This article also breaks down the best ergonomic chairs that help lower back and hip pain.
This best desk chair for lower back and hip pain has a backrest with lumbar support that will protect your back from pain, especially the lower area. In addition, the seat has thick padding that contours around the body and gives stable support. As a result, the pressure is released and your muscles won’t feel sore.
Moreover, this back pain relief chair has an adjustable headrest so with the press of the button you can adjust it vertically and recline it for 45-degrees. In addition, the arms with armrests are also adjustable. As a result, you can flip them up and down. This is a space-saving feature because you can easily store it beneath the desk. In addition, you can rotate them for 45-degrees. The base has a heavy-duty metal construction, therefore the maximum weight capacity is 280 pounds. The backrest and seat have a mesh cover.
You can use a pneumatic cylinder to adjust the overall height between 45.3” and 54.9”, while the seat height can be adjusted between 18.5” and 22.05”. The seat is 20” wide and 19.3” long. Also, this best chair for the lower back and hip pain features a tilting knob so you can use it to recline the backrest between 90-degrees and 120-degrees.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chairs directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chairs good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
This model has a durable and long-lasting bonded leather cover. Therefore, it’s very easy to maintain because the material is stain-resistant and waterproof. The model has very thick memory foam padding, so both backrest and seat contour around your body.
Therefore this is the best chair for lower back and hip pain that allows you to sit for a long time without feeling pain in the back. The backrest has a built-in headrest and lumbar support which helps you maintain the upright sitting position. The chrome base has a pneumatic cylinder.
As a result, you can adjust the seat height from 21” to 24”, while the overall height ranges from 41” and 44”. In addition, this fully adjustable ergonomic chair has height adjustable arms with armrests so you can change their height between 26.75” and 31.5”.
The unique back in motion technology tilts the seat forward to promote the flexibility and strength of your core. Moreover, the base swivels so you can rotate for 360-degrees which is very practical. You can easily talk with co-workers from all directions and reach things behind you without twisting your back. The maximum weight capacity is 280 pounds.
Pros & Cons
- FIT FOR AN EXECUTIVE: Enhance your office experience with the comfort and luxury of the Serta Big and Tall Executive Office Chair
- BIG AND TALL: Supports up to 350 pounds and has a generous seating area
- TRANQUIL SEATING EXPERIENCE: Deep layers of plush body pillows and hand-sculpted, upholstered armrests
- OPTIMAL NECK SUPPORT: An elevated headrest for improved neck support for taller individuals
- SMOOTH ROLLING: Multi-surface, dual-wheel designer casters make it easy to move around
- Min/Max Seat Height : 27" to 30.75"
3.Five Stars Furniture
This is a great aesthetic desk chair that’s available in gray, dark green, blue, and rose pink color. It’s elegant and it will be a great addition to any interior. The model is suitable for home, office, bedroom, living room, etc. Both backrest and seat have very thick memory foam padding.
Because of that, this is the best office chair for lower back and hip pain at home. The cover is made from velvet that’s soft and comfortable, while the backrest has stripped design. In addition, this model has a chrome base that’s strong and durable. As a result, the maximum weight capacity is 250 pounds.
The pneumatic cylinder connects to the lever that you can use to easily adjust the seat height between 18.9” and 23.6”, while the overall height is between 33.4” and 38.1”. Moreover, the model is easy to assemble because all parts come with the package.
Pros & Cons
- 360 degree swiveling office chair for home or business use.
- Removable seat cushion for easy cleaning.Soft velvet fabric and foam, comfortable to touch.
- Adjustable lever allows you to seat the chair to your ideal height, reducing posture-related strain.
- Easy to assemble, hardware included.
- Dimension:W23.6’’XD23.6’’XH33.4’’-38.1’’.Seat height:18.9’’-23.6’’,Seat depth:17.3’’.
4.Mefeir Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
This model is the best chair for lower back and hip pain because the unique design allows you to kneel, instead of sitting. Because of that, you can lean your knees on the pads and seat at the working desk in an upright position. In addition, this design improves your core strength and flexibility.
The weight is evenly distributed on your legs and buttocks, and that allows good blood circulation. Both seat and knee rest have a high-quality faux leather cover that’s soft, durable, and easy to maintain. In addition, the base is made from iron that’s coated with a black anti-scratch finish layer.
The base is durable, therefore the maximum weight capacity is 265 pounds. Moreover, this adjustable kneeling chair has a pneumatic cylinder that ensures easy height and width adjustments. The base can be adjusted between 22” and 24.6” in width. The knee rest height range is between 13.4” and 16.5”.
Pros & Cons
- KEEP YOU UNDER THE CORRECT SITTING POSITION: The kneeling stool is designed with ergonomic construction, will keep your back upright and distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned. This will reduce the pain in your neck and back caused by sitting for long time while working, studying or playing games.
- WIDENED CUSHIONS: We widened the sitting cushion to 17”, widened the kneeling cushion to 18.9'', which makes it suitable for people in different body types.
- HEIGHTS ADJUSTABLE: You can adjust the heights from 21'' to 29'' according to your height and habits(the kneeling chair height can be adjusted by the height adjusting pneumatic rod and the 5 kneeling cushion height adjusted holes), which means it can fit to people in different ages, includes the children.
- HEVY DUTY: This kneeling chair is designed with anti-scratch black paint coated METAL frame, which ensures the stability of the chair and can hold up to 230 LBS.
- EQUIPPED WITH ROLLING WHEELS: It is equipped with 4 casters to enable you the ability to keep moving. At the same time, the 2 front locking wheels can stop the chair moving around when you are sitting to studying, working or entertainment.
When we reviewed the Korean made Sidiz T50, we were taken back with just how adjustable the chair was. This is a high end ergonomic chair without the sky high price tag.
The most notable feature on the Sidiz T50 for easing hip pain is the forward tiling seat. Using a lever, you can slightly angle the seat forward about 5 degrees. This helps bring the hips slightly above the knees to open up the hips, reducing the amount of force exerted to that region. As one buyer pointed out, this is an amazing feature that works similarly to his last Herman Miller chair, except the later costs 3x as much.
We also love other aspects of the Sidiz T50’s seat as well. The highly pronounced waterfall edge reduces contact between the back of your thighs and the seat where pressure tends to build up. Throw in adjustable seat depth and soft fabric upholstery, and this is a seat we found to be comfortable even after 8 hour of sitting.
The curved backrest on the Sidiz T50 can tilt into 5 lockable positions, up to 125° to ease spinal pressure. There is also a decent lumbar support that’s adjustable in two planes as well.
Great as it is, the Sidiz T50 still has some limitations. For example, it’s better suited for short to average sized users (4’9″ to 6’2″). The backrest doesn’t recline either, only tit. This is more of a productivity chair than anything else
As long as you fit the bill in terms of body size, the Sidiz T50 can help eliminate your hip pain.
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMIC S-CURVE DESIGN : Adequately supporting your spine, T50’s design is a not only modern and sleek, but helps you keep a healthy sitting habit.
- EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE : Convenience is everything. With all levers placed where your hands can easily reach, you can easily adjust all functions. Simply personalize the ergonomic chair as of your preference.
- EXCEPTIONAL BUILD QUALITY : Each component of the desk chair is made of solid material for better durability. The chair can be heavy, but clearly it is heavy for a reason.
- STAY FOCUSED : T50's forward tilt, the beloved function from our users, allows you to adjust the seat slope. Leaning towards the front, your may concentrate easier. Plus, different postures and a variety of movements are supported with the advanced multi-limited tilting mechanism. Set the ergonomic office chair to 5 different tilting angles, and lean to the degree you wish.
- 30-DAY TRIAL AND 3 YEAR WARRANTY : Sidiz offers a 30-day free trial and you may easily return the office chair if it does not fit you. Also, all quality-related issues except for normal wear and tear will be taken care for 3 years.
6.XUER Ergonomic Office Chair
If you often get sweaty while working, an office chair with a mesh back and seat like the XUER is a good option. With an intelligent lumbar support, a springy mesh cover, and a waterfall edge seat, it’s one of the best mesh office chairs to ease hip pain.
Choosing a mesh office chair to prevent hip pain is actually quite tricky. We picked the XUER because it scores well in three critical areas- the seat design, the type of mesh, and the lumbar support.
The XUER has a curved sloping seat design, a must for mesh office chairs where its shape is unyielding. Otherwise, the seat edge will dig into your thighs and limit blood flow to your lower extremities. The mesh material on the XUer is also taut enough so you don’t slip down and assume an awkward position. It has just the right amount of give to make it comfortable. The sliding seat pan is a wonderful bonus that you can use to find the least pain-inducing position while working.
The cherry on top is the lumbar support which automatically adjusts to the user. According to one owner, it is even better than that on the much more expensive Gesture chair. With these three factors covered, it isn’t surprising that one happy buyer said that his hip pain was gone after he switched to the XUER.
If there’s one thing we could improve with the XUER, it’s the tilt function. It is decent at a 119° maximum tilt angle that’s lockable at 4 points. We’d love to see it upped to 125° though so users can open up their hips more when leaning back. The seat depth, which is about 17.7” when fully extended, is also not suitable for people with long legs.
All in all, the XUER is a great option for people with hip pain looking for a highly breathable office chair that won’t break the bank.
Pros & Cons
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT CHAIR FOR LOWER BACK AND HIP PAIN
Before buying the best model, you should consider the features of this buying guide. I’ll describe details about height adjustment systems, suitable base materials and cover types, weight capacity, and much more. This info can help you to choose the right model.
Height Adjusting – The most common system for seat lifting is a pneumatic cylinder that uses gas to easily adjust the seat height. However, there are models with hydraulic lifting and manual adjustments. It’s desirable if the model has the ability to adjust arms, headrest, and seat.
Base Material – Models with iron, steel, or chrome base, such as 500 lb capacity office chairs, can hold the weight between 300 pounds and 600 pounds. On the other hand, standard models have a maximum weight capacity between 200 lbs and 300 lbs.
Lumbar Support – This is one of the most important features to look for when buying the best chair for lower back and hip pain because it gives additional support to the muscles around the spine. As a result, it releases the tension, so you can sit for a long time without feeling pain.
Cover Type – The models on the market can have covers made from mesh, linen, leather, velvet, vinyl, etc. The most common are leather and mesh. The most common leather is PU faux leather that’s soft, durable, and easy to clean. Mesh is a good choice because it’s elastic, stable, firm, and breathable.
Backrest Tilting – Many affordable home office chairs have tilting knob that allows you to recline backrest in different angles so you can adjust it between 90-degrees that’s suitable for work and 155-degrees that’s ideal for rest and sleep. This feature is very user-friendly if you’re sitting in a chair for a long time.
Sitting for Too Long
Staying in one position for too long regularly, especially sitting, results in reduced hip strength and hip pain.
Your glutes, core, and hip extensors will be weaker. This is why you’ll sometimes feel unstable when standing up after doing hours of computer work.
The following factors increase hip pressure, making you more likely to have hip pain.
- Crossing your legs (hip adduction)
- Leaning on one side while sitting (hip flexion)
- Sitting on an uneven or too soft surface
Improper Seat Height
Improper seat height over time can also lead to hip pain.
While the backrest, seat tilt, and lumbar support are all important, the main culprit as far as developing hip pain is usually an incorrect seat height arrangement. Seat height directly affects your hip joint angle when you’re sitting.
When the chair is too high, you’re forced to scoot forward and skip using the backrest. Staying in this position can eventually lead to hip fatigue. If you do try to use the backrest, your feet will dangle and add pressure to the back of your thighs.
On the other hand, if your chair is too low, your knees will be placed higher than your hips. This will put your hip joints at an extreme degree of flexion. Since most people aren’t flexible enough for this, hip and low back pain can occur.
Extra Body Weight
For every 10 pounds of extra body weight, 50 pounds of excess pressure is added to a person’s hips and knees (source). It’s no wonder obese people are highly susceptible to hip pain.
Getting out of your office chair the wrong way can increase your chances or exacerbate your hip pain. There are two ways that this often happens:
- Quickly swivelling to get out of the chair while also forgetting to move your feet
- Sharply pivoting to get up without pushing the chair from the desk.
What Can I Do to Prevent or Reduce Hip Pain?
There are plenty of things that can help in mitigating your hip pain.
- Observe proper workspace ergonomics.
- Use an ergonomic office chair that can be adjusted to your size.
- Move at least 2 minutes every hour. You can use Healthy Browsing if you’re a Chrome user. Otherwise, just set phone alarms.
- Avoid sitting with your legs crossed.
- Do not sit with your wallet or phone in your backpocket.
- Do quick stretches every now and then to keep your hip flexors and hamstrings flexible.
- Use a footstool if your chair is too high.
- Maintain proper posture while doing computer work.
- Take advantage of your office chair’s lumbar support. If it doesn’t have one, get an external lumbar pillow.
- Switch between sitting and standing whenever possible.
- Consider alternating between an ergonomic office chair and a saddle chair.
What Should I Look for in an Office Chair for Hip Pain?
An ergonomic office chair that’s properly fitted for your body shape can minimize the hip pressure and strain caused by sitting.
Here are the things that you need to consider when buying an office chair for hip pain.
Since the hips and back are connected, having a back problem can lead to hip pain as well.
The backrest should be able to recline and tilt with adjustable tension. Aim for a 135° recline and a synchronous tilt.
Forward Seat Tilt
When your pelvis is in the right position, pain-free sitting follows. Ideally, the pelvis should be level or slightly higher than the knees. A chair with a forward seat tilt can help you achieve this.
Seat Design and Cushion
The seat should have a waterfall edge. This relieves the pressure on the back of the thighs and encourages blood flow to the lower limbs. The cushion should be soft but not saggy and firm but not hard.
Finding a seat that will keep your feet flat on the floor and allow your knees to form a 90° to 100° bent angle is important. But what exactly is the right seat height for you?
To calculate your ideal seat height, simply measure the length from the top of your knees to the floor.
Alternatively, you can refer to the table below for the right seat height for every user based on BIFMA’s recommendation.
The proper seat depth will allow you to take advantage of your backrest without causing pressure to the back of your thighs.
A seat depth of 17” to 21” is good enough for most people. Even better if the seat depth is adjustable by at least 2”.
You’ll know if it’s the right seat depth for you if there’s a 2 to 3 finger gap between the back of your knees and the edge of the seat.
Having adequate seat width will allow you to sit comfortably. Too narrow and it will squeeze at your hips. Too wide and the armrests will be too far apart to rest your arms on.
A 19.2” wide seat pan is enough for most people, according to BIFMA. Meanwhile, OSHA simply suggests measuring the width of your thighs and adding some allowance.
Can a Standing Desk Help With Hip Pain?
Since sitting all day is hard on the hips, periodically switch between standing and sitting can help with stiff hips.
According to a 2013 research, a ratio of 1:2 is optimal. That is, 1 hour of standing for every 2 hours of sitting. If you get tired easily, you can opt for 30 minutes of standing and 1 hour of sitting.
Even when using a standing desk, you should practice “active standing.” For example, the Canadian Centre for Occupational Healthy and Safety (CCOHS) suggests:
- Using an anti-fatigue standing mat to engage different muscles while standing
- Using a foot stool to shift your weight between your legs and break your standing routine
If adding a standing desk interests you, make sure to also check out our post on the best practices when standing at work.
Is Sitting on a Saddle Chair Good for Hip Pain?
Yes, sitting on a saddle chair can help prevent or eliminate hip pain. But, it takes some getting used to.
A saddle chair enables you to assume a riding style position wherein there is reduced load and pressure on the hip joints. The increased joint space decreases the compression in the hip joint cartilage. There is also more space for the nutritional fluid which enables the hip joints to stay healthy in the long run.
Best office chairs for lower back and hip pain are the prime requirements of every other working professional. These professionals need to spend a major portion of their day in the chair. An office chair lacking in important ergonomics can severely harm their health. So, it must be competent and ergonomic enough to prevent them from lower back and hip pain. Most importantly, it must be designed to reduce pressure on the spine.
But what makes the chair enough competent? Some features are mandatory. Whereas, the lack of others doesn’t make up a huge difference. For a simple citizen, it’s hard to approach the most competent product in the market without seeking help. That’s why we are here to help in this regard.
< id="1-why-office-chairs-are-important">1. Why office chairs are important?
Using chairs particularly designed for office hours is a very healthy activity. Because these chairs are made to meet the comfort requirements of a true workaholic. Using an ordinary chair for long-term sitting results in serious health issues. You may suffer from poor posture, hip pain, back pain, or other spine-related issues. These health problems badly impact your performance and productivity. Hence end up in an awkward working mode. You will need to take random breaks while preparing a presentation due to unrelaxing posture. But using an ergonomic office chair accompanies multiple benefits. Apart from helping you avail yourself a good posture support, the best office chair give hip pain relief. Besides, a good office chair also enhances blood flow. Indeed the benefits are endless. So the importance of the best chair is not negotiable.
< id="2-when-hip-pain-is-serious">2. When hip pain is serious?
The initial treatment to cure hip pain is to take rest or ice the painful area. Furthermore, elevation and compression are also some of the ways that help reduce hip pain. Therapists are pro enough to target muscular imbalance precisely. If the hip pain is not serious, then you’ll surely get over it with the help of physical therapy. But if this course fails to alleviate stressed areas, then surely the hip pain is serious. And it’s time to consult a specialist in the field.
< id="3-can-hip-pain-cause-back-pain">3. Can hip pain cause back pain?
First of all, let’s clarify a fact that the location of the hip and lower spine is very close to each other. So, sometimes you can mistake your back pain for hip pain and obviously vice versa. Because of this very close location of the hip joint and spine, hip pain can easily result in back pain. In fact, hip injuries not only cause back pain. But also end in groin pain, pain during walking, and ailment while you sleep.
< id="4-are-best-office-chairs-for-lower-back-and-hip-pain-bad-for-carpet">4. Are best office chairs for lower back and hip pain bad for carpet?
This is a very common question. Because offices are normally furnished with carpets. So, if you are concerned about whether office chairs for hip pain ruin carpet or not. Then remember my friend! It depends upon the wheel quality. Low-quality wheels will definitely damage the carpet. And if they are broken, then it adds glitter to gold. Because damaged wheels impose a great threat to the carpet. Rollerblade-style wheels are best to be used. They come wrapped in polyurethane and don’t harm the carpet in any way.
< id="5-when-does-hip-pain-starts">5. When does hip pain starts?
Hip pain starts due to several reasons. Complications within the hip joint compel the patient to go through the dilemma of hip pain. However, if an individual suffers from external hip pain, it can be due to complications within ligaments. Similarly, problems related to muscles, tendons, and other surrounding soft tissues also result in hip pain on the outer side.
Serious health issues also end in hip pain. Arthritis, inflamed tendons, and hip fractures are the reasons behind starting serious hip pains.
< id="6-what-can-be-done-to-prevent-or-reduce-hip-pain">6. What can be done to prevent or reduce hip pain
Following certain guidelines will help you in dealing with hip pain in a much better way. These guidelines are stated below:
- Use an adjustable and ergonomic office chair.
- Don’t cross your legs while sitting.
- Your back pocket must not hold your phone or wallet as you sit.
- Doing quick stretches after every few minutes is a very good practice. Following this activity frequently will add flexibility to your hamstrings and hip flexors.
- Don’t hang your feet if your chair is very high. Rather keep them on a footstool for better support.
- Try to maintain good posture while sitting.
- If your office chair lacks built-in lumbar support, use a pillow or cushion as compensation.
- Don’t sit for continuous hours. Switch your sitting posture to a standing one to avoid hip pain.
As you have grasped the real concept of best office chairs for lower back and hip pain. So choosing the best is no more rocket science. Although, our all recommendations are best in different aspects. But you need to make a selection compatible with your budget and preferences. so, play your part dude! And place the order hurriedly before the stock runs out.
Best Chair for Lower Back and Hip Pain at Home – Finding the best office chair, that will help reduce lower back pain and Hip Pain at Home, is a quest for many office workers. While most office seating companies claim to have lumbar support, they almost always lack in this area.
While you may find other lists on the internet, almost all of them will be built to push you into Amazon products. It’s important to note that most, if not all of these websites, have never tried the chairs they promote. As someone who has sat in hundreds of chairs, I know there is no way you could ever know what chair is excellent or bad without sitting in each first hand.
Chairs that offer better lower back support do exist, and today we will take a closer look at the ones we have found to provide the best lumbar support. I will show you chairs that are available at different price points so that no matter your budget is, you can start to work more comfortably.