Best Chair for Lower Back Pain at Home – Most people will experience some form of back discomfort during their life. The leading cause for such pain are injuries associated with uncomfortable activities, such as using the incorrect chair. Finding the best chair to help your back pain at home can solve many of your back pain issues caused by an uncomfortable chair at work or many other situations.
Even though chairs can cause back problems, finding the right chair for your needs will help alleviate such pain and discomfort. The chair that you choose should provide the appropriate level of support to your lower back and your neck and upper body. Here is a great list of chairs that will make your chair-sitting experience more relaxing and enjoyable.
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, over 80 percent of adults will experience lower-back pain in their lifetime. This can be a result of strain, injury, or any other stressors. It’s a very real problem, but in many cases, it can be relieved with the right furniture.
It’s very likely that you have felt some form of lower-back pain. Whether it’s a dull ache, or something more severe, it’s also likely that you have called out of work as a result of this pain. Having the right furniture at home can make all the difference in the world.
Join us as we break down our picks for the best living room chair for small-of-the-back pain. These choices are designed to provide relaxing and soothing experiences that take the pressure off your back and allow you to relax after a long day of work.
Concerned about your back but don’t have enough funds for the first chair on our list? Here’s the best quality office chair for back pain at an affordable price. This stylish chair looks the part for office use and it compares favourably with many pricier models in terms of functionality as well as looks. The highlights here are the mesh back, which is breathable, and a good level of lumbar support.
It’s also adjustable: you can tweak the back support, headrest, armrests, height and tilt of the chair. You can’t adjust the seat depth, but the features that are adjustable do at least let you make most of the adjustments that health experts recommend, for example allowing you to adjust chair height so your knees are slightly lower than your hips. This adds up to excellent lower back support for office chair users and at a price point much lower than its features would suggest.
The level of finish is quite evidently not up to the standard of more expensive designer chairs, which is unavoidable at the price. But in general, it not only looks the part but provides an excellent level of comfort and protection given the reasonable price.
- ★【Multiple Adjustments】5 ergonomic adjustabilities of this computer chair help you to find the most comfortable seating position for a long term sitting. Adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, and tilt adjustment plus height adjustable armrests. This executive swivel chair provide you a customized seating experience.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Back】The premium backrest features flexible mesh fabric without pattern, which gives you a cool feeling and comfortable sitting experience, promotes good air flow, eliminates sweating and moisture, to keep you focus and relax at the same time.
- ★【Well Padded Seat】W-shaped design for the seat ensures you sit centrally .The front edge of the seat has a waterfall front, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed.
- ★【High Quality & Easy Assembly】The surface of the arms is made of PU, a flexible plastic. This home office chair has passed the BIFMA test and the static pressure test of 1136 kg. Our ergonomic office chair can support a weight of up to 150 kg. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps.
- ★【Three Years Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within three years warranty period.
2.Herman Miller Sayl
Whether you’re talking about style, craftsmanship or functionality, Herman Miller chairs are pretty difficult to beat. We’ve already featured one at the top of our list of the best ergonomic office chairs, but if the Mirra 2 is a little too expensive, or perhaps you prefer a more compact style, then the Herman Miller Sayl could be a very attractive option. It’s significantly cheaper, but it still has a sharp design and great ergonomic features.
It has fewer parts than its sibling, but the vented elastomer backrest, made with strands that vary in thickness and tension, provide an excellent balance between support and comfort, not to mention great air circulation. You can adjust the armrests, seat height and seat depth. And the four-setting tilt limiter lets you adjust the tension to your liking. The unique design inspired by the Golden Gate bridge may divide opinion, but we love this chic, offbeat take on the classic Herman Miller chair. And in terms of spinal support, it can’t be faulted.
- One of the most notable features of the Sayl chair is its 3D Intelligent back. Its gently sculpted and webbed design allows you to move and stretch, ensuring the balance between support and freedom of movement is struck. The webbed back is made from elastomer strands that provide exceptional support to the spine.
- Height (in): 40.75 Width (in): 24.5 Depth (in): 26 Weight (lbs): 54 Seat Height (in): 20.5 Seat Width (in): 18
- 3-Year Mechanical Replacement Warranty By Chairorama.
3.HAG Capisco Silver
You may have noticed that the HÅG Capisco looks a little different from the other chairs on this list. That’s because it’s a saddle chair, which allows you to sit as if you are saddling a horse. This has been found to be very beneficial for countering and preventing back pain in research such as this study from Cardiff University(opens in new tab).
Saddle chairs are most popular amongst medical professionals, but their use has spread to other types of workplace. They’re especially good for use with standing desks. The HÅG Capisco has a wider saddle while the HÅGCapisco Puls has a firmer, narrower saddle that allows you to sit with your legs closer together.
Providing good lumbar and lower back support, it’s very comfortable and very adjustable too. The seat tilts, with a tilt lock, and you can tweak its height and depth too, from a low sitting position to a sit-stand position. Plus, from an aesthetic point of view, this radical and minimalist Scandinavian design will certainly put your home office setup on the cutting edge of cool.
- MOUNTS TO: the base of your Capisco chair, around the standard 265mm lift
- NO MORE DANGLING FEET: provide a home base for your feet for more comfort, support and endless varied foot positions
- IMPROVE YOUR SITTING POSTURE: help maintain the correct sitting posture across a range of heights and reduce stress on your knees and thighs
- COMES WITH: 10.4" lift height and 5 star base with breaking casters suitable for both hardwood and low-pile carpet; Add On a Capisco Footring to rest your feet - see below or search Amazon for "Capisco Footring"
- EASY ASSEMBLY: easy to attach, or remove, without disassembling the chair
So, you’ve gone through the review above and you’re probably thinking you should get yourself a chair that will give you comfort when you’re sitting on your desk. Let’s face it, the Mac Motion is something you’re mostly going to use in your living room. For your desk, you can get your hands on the High-Back Executive Chair to Relieve Back Pain from Amazon Basics.
As you take a look at it, the premium aesthetics will make you go awes-stuck. The set offers you two different color versatilities. You can go for the white but if you think you won’t be able to deal with dust, you can switch to the brown one, which of course most people love to have.
When it comes to your comfort, this one makes sure you never get to compromise a thing. Thanks to the butterfly seat plate, when your butt lands on it, the cushion eliminates the soreness while you get to sit with ease. Besides, since it’s easily adjustable. Meaning, you can shift to your desired sitting position whenever you want.
Working on a tall desk? Raise the height of your seat and keep on working. You can simply do it by pulling up the pneumatic height-adjustment control handle. Whenever you want to lower the seat, just simply pull up the handle again while you remain seated.
Typical chairs for back pain have one problem in common. As you sit on them, your body doesn’t get aligned, and what’s worse, the chairs do not adjust to the shape of your body.
This back pain relief chair turns the table and takes your relief into a whole new zone. It comes with curved contours that support your back even if you sit for hours. It makes sure your spine gets all the room to stay aligned and you never experience any discomfort on your back at all.
Besides, you can rock the chair back and forth at your convenience. Use the pull-up handle to switch to rocking mode whenever you want. As for your durability, the High-Back Executive chair from Amazon Basics fills your cup of tea in every way.
It’s been made with bonded black leather and PVC. This makes its upholstery quite smooth and supple. For extra comfort, the manufacturers have added black padding on the armrests. The chair swivels smoothly to 360 degrees and it has got durable nylon casters. As a result, moving it from one place to another won’t be a problem for you if it’s a short distance.
- Comfortable: ergonomic desk/office chair with adjustable seat height, padded flip-up arm rests, headrest, and synchro seat mechanism for easy reclining
- Contoured mesh seat: high-back design with suspension seat made of breathable mesh for added support and extra comfort with airflow
- Durable construction: ruggedly built with quality materials and a sturdy 5-point base for reliable strength and stability
- Maneuverable: 360-degree swivel mobility and caster wheels (not lockable) allow for easily moving around a workspace
- Set-up and warranty: easy to assemble (all necessary tools included); backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
Most of the time you have to work on your desk and this is why we’re focusing more on office chairs to help with back pain. And when we’re talking chairs, we can’t ignore the microfiber office chair by Serta.
This stunning beauty comes in three color variations to choose from. You can either take the Black, which most people prefer, or you can get your hands on the Brown. However, if you want to taste the premium richness, you should go for the Light Beige.
First off, we prefer this chair for the waterfall edge system it comes with. This feature increases the blood flow of your body and makes sure it circulates to the major parts. As a result, you get to experience the ultimate comfort you deserve.
Besides, with this feature in the arsenal, you get to feel less pressure on your knees and the back of your legs. So, while you sit on it, you sit with ease and convenience.
As you let your head or neck rest on the chair, you’ll embrace the soothing comfort while your eyes shut down. It comes with a comfortable headrest pillow that allows you to experience warmth and softness to eliminate your neck pain.
Sit on it and you’ll find your hips land on a giant marshmallow. The seat is pretty big in size and gives your hips enough room to fit in perfectly. The multi-layered body pillows, on the other hand, take your seating experience to its pinnacle with its awesome serene.
Doesn’t matter if you’re fat, skinny, or overweight. Let the Serta Microfiber office chair adapt to the shape of your body whenever you sit on it.
If you think you need to adjust the height of your chair, you can do it easily all by yourself. This chair comes with easy-adjustment settings. All you need to do is pull the handles and set the height.
On top of that, the excellent lumbar support ensures you can switch to one sitting position to another, without compromising your comfort.
As the name hints, the Hannah office chair from Serta is made of microfiber. So, you won’t have to worry a bit about durability. It can withstand all the beatings like a pro. The fact that it’s resistant to stain is a cherry on top. Since the chair is dust-free, you can clean it easily within minutes.
You can swivel this chair to a complete 360 degree and thanks to the four caster wheels, you can move it anywhere you want.
- MICROFIBER UPHOLSTERY: Add a comfortable and homey touch to any home office
- SIGNATURE SERTA COMFORT: Swivel chair designed with a pillowed headrest and plush layered body pillows
- CREATE AN INVITING SPACE: Velvet soft fabric and neutral colors create a welcoming feel
- GREAT FOR WORK OR PLAY: Helps keep you comfortable and relaxed whether you’re working or kicking back
- VERSATILE AND MOBILE: Adjustable height settings, convenient swivel design, and rolling casters
6.Esright Massage Recliner
Our reviews would stay incomplete if we didn’t include the Massage Recliner from Esright. This one stands out than any other chair and recliners over here. Why? Well, that’s what you’re about to find out.
As the name hints, this recliner can do the massage job on your body. Sit on it and activate your massage mode, you’ll see chair starts to vibrate while giving your body a complete massage.
It doesn’t fail to touch the major parts of your body, no. Head, buttocks, feet, upper and lower back, you name it, this beast right here makes sure everything is getting the hit during the operation.
Besides, with the heating system, the recliner provides enough amount of heat in your lumbar area, eliminating your lower back pain.
Now, the vibrating mode and the heating mode are just two of the 5 functions the recliner offers. You can also switch to the reclining mode to experience the ultimate relaxation you need. Also, there’s the rocking mode which will rock the chair which will help you to take a good power nap.
And guess what? All of these options and you won’t have to do anything by yourself. Just press the remote-control device and your recliner will obey your command. You can also switch between 2 massaging intensity anytime you need.
The faux leather it boasts is pretty soft and sturdy. As you sit on it, your buttocks will land on the extra thick sponge. Besides, the thick-padded armrests allow your elbows to feel the ease and convenience.
As for extras, the massage recliner from Esright comes with 2 cup holders along with storage bags. This will allow you to store your drinks and magazines. You can also swivel this massage chair to 360 degrees like a smooth breeze. When it comes to looks you’re getting 7 different colors to choose from.
- 【5 Relaxing Function】Relax in this wonderful recliner chair with vibrating, reclining, heating, 360° swivel, rocking features. Massage way is vibration.
- 【Thick Padded, Double Comfort】Soft and sturdy composite material design suitable for intensive use, padded with extra thick sponge for back cushion and armrest.
- 【Elegant and Friendly Design】2 cup holders and extra storage bags to rest your drinks and hold magazines, good for taking a rest or watching TV, reading on bedroom, living room.
- 【Manual Control Massage Recliner】This upholstered recliner has 140° manual control recline feature, come with remote controller and power cord for massaging function, 5 control modes and 2 intensity levels.
- 【Easy Assembly and Good Customer Service】You will get 1 chair in 2 boxes, and it's very easy assembly, all parts and instruction included, no screw needed. Professional Customer Service & Technical Support. Contact us freely if have any question.
- 【Extra Notice】Footrest may be not easy to latch down during use. We recommend you sit straight a little bit and use your full strength on foot heel to close the footrest. You will hear a click then. We recommend people height around 5'1"-5'9"
Can office chairs help back pain?
Health experts provide a lot of advice on the importance of using a good chair. “In the age of technology, we spend so much time sitting at our computers, and our bodies cannot maintain good posture for hours without fatiguing,” explains Dr Amy Hoover, a physiotherapist at workouts company P.volve(opens in new tab).
“A chair that allows your lower back to maintain a good neutral position, supporting the natural curve in the lower back, can alleviate stress on the spine and improve the alignment of your spine all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst(opens in new tab), a physiotherapist specialising in back pain and a specialist in Pilates, agrees. “The right chair set up is essential, not only to support the natural curves of the spine but also the shoulders,” she notes. “Armrests are really useful for someone who suffers neck and mid-spine pain. Lumbar support is also very useful. An adjustable seat plate, backrest and arms will allow the user to adapt the chair to their specific posture.”
What’s the best office chair for back pain?
That said, we recognise that with a price of around $1,500 / £1,300, the Mirra 2 is simply beyond many people’s budgets. We’ve taken that into account and included some more economical chairs for back pain in our guide too. Some of the cheaper options offer great ergonomic features for their prices, but they don’t have the same level of adjustability or support as the likes of the Herman Miller and HÅG Capisco chairs. We’d suggest reading below for a few pointers on what features to look for when you’re searching for the best office chair for back pain.
What chair features are good for back pain?
- Lumbar support (see below)
- Adjustable armrests
- Seat-depth adjustability
- Recline and tilt
James Crow, owner of Posture Stars, a website promoting good posture, says: “The best office chair for back pain is one that’s highly adjustable, so you can get the back to support you in a meaningful way. Invest wisely: we wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or car, but many of us are spending eight to 10 hours a day perched on a ‘value’ chair.”
It’s also important to replace an ageing chair, he says. “If your chair has been around for more than a decade it’s probably time to upgrade. The materials wear down over time, with seat padding especially taking a beating.”
What is lumbar support?
Why does this matter? Well, when sitting, your lumbar becomes sandwiched between the torso, above, and buttocks, below. When you sit, lumbar stress is one-and-a-half times higher than when you stand, and double compared to when you walk.
“Left unsupported over time, the strain causes stiffness, making the lower back prone to injuries like slipped discs,” Chongsu says. “Just like support beams in a building, lumbar support absorbs that strain and props your lumbar up, protecting it against stress and injury.”
How do you sit properly in an office chair?
The best office chairs for back pain are ergonomic chairs with built-in lumbar support. The lumbar region, also known as your lower back, needs support between the chair and the natural inward curve of your spine. Having this support helps you maintain a good and healthy posture. Without lumbar support, the natural tendency is to either slouch or lean forward, and the muscles in your back have to work even harder to support your spine’s correct alignment, which tires them out.
How you sit in your chair while you task
Not all users task the same way. While some work in perfect posture with their back up against the chair, others tend to slouch. Maybe you like to lean to the side when you type. It’s essential to understand how you like to sit when finding the perfect office chair.
One of the most significant issues we’ve seen is that customers try to adapt to an office chair. This is the quickest way to failure, as most habits can be hard to break. Some sitting habits aren’t bad, and the expectation that you sit perfectly for long hours throughout the day is unrealistic. Finding a chair that provides proper support for the way you sit, is likely to improve your support while seated.
Does the chair offer good support while reclined?
Do you like to recline in your chair? Is this something that you spend a lot of time doing? If you are taking a lot of phone calls, in meetings or even working from this position, proper support while reclined can be important if you have lower back issues.
Just because a chair offers great support while you’re sitting upright, doesn’t automatically mean that you will see the same support when reclined. We’ve found through testing all of the chairs in our office, there can be significant differences in lower support as you recline back into the chair.
Depending on how the recline function moves on your chair, the lower support can change in various ways. Whether it’s diminishing support or that the support actually moves up the back, both can have a significant impact on your lower back pain.
Is the lumbar support height and depth adjustable?
While not always true, having a lumbar support system that is height and depth adjustable can be important. If the lumbar support system doesn’t provide a good fit for your body, you will need the ability to move it up and down your back. Having depth adjustment will allow you to add and reduce the amount of pressure applied to your back. Depending on the amount of support needed, this can be a nice feature to have.
Does the backrest and/or lumbar move with you in the chair?
Depending on the type of tasks you perform in your chair, you may want to consider how the backrest and lumbar moves with you. If you are doing a lot of twisting and reaching, having a backrest that moves with you and provides continuous support is good if you really need a lot of lower support.
We have seen a lot of different types of backrests that will provide this function. From the entire backrest bending and flexing, to only the lumbar support automatically adjusting in depth. If this is important to you, you’ll want to pay close attention to the back of the desk.
What material is the lumbar system made from?
The last thing to consider is what type of material the lumbar and backrest are made from. Certain types of materials will flex more, spreading out the support through your back. We have seen upholstered lumbar systems with padded backing that can feel more stiff and will focus more on a certain area. Depending on your needs, this type of focused support can be good or bad. This is especially true if you’re able to fine tune where you can place the support.
Best Chair for Lower Back Pain at Home – While you may find other lists on the internet, almost all of them will be built to push you into Amazon products. It’s important to note that most, if not all of these websites, have never tried the chairs they promote. As someone who has sat in hundreds of chairs, I know there is no way you could ever know what chair is excellent or bad without sitting in each first hand.
Chairs that offer better lower back support do exist, and today we will take a closer look at the ones we have found to provide the best lumbar support. I will show you chairs that are available at different price points so that no matter your budget is, you can start to work more comfortably.
With nearly 65 million American adults dealing with back pain, it’s only logical that designers are making furniture more in tune with our bodies, especially office furniture. Those with desk jobs often spend the majority of a given workday in a sedentary, sitting position, which can exacerbate existing back pain. Making a choice as simple as deciding to swap out our existing office chair for an ergonomic model can help make you significantly more comfortable throughout the day.