Best Chair for Neck and Back Pain – Talking about Americans, around 30% of American adults suffer from chronic neck and Back Pain , and out of this 30%, 70% of individuals suffer from neck pain due to bad sitting posture.
If you are among those who experience neck pain, and if it’s due to bad posture, we highly recommend you replace your current chair with something more comfortable and ergonomic.
If you are among those who still enjoy working on the bed, you must note that this enjoyment is temporary. You are putting a lot of pressure on your neck and your back. That’s the reason you are experiencing neck pain.
In this guide, we have picked some of the best office chairs that you can get at an affordable price tag, and they’ll be super effective in your neck pain.
You can pick any of these as per your pocket and preference. However, if you are experiencing extreme chronic pain, it is recommended to visit a medical expert.
There are other features that the best ergonomic chair should have to. Generally, the more adjustable the better since this means you can ensure that everything from height to seat depth, armrests and headrests fit your frame. At the very least , the best office chairs for back pain include height adjustment so you can set the chair’s height so that your feet are on the ground and your knees aren’t strained.
To make our own selection of the best office chairs for back pain below, we’ve evaluated each chair according to adjustability, build quality and either our own or own reviews with several hours of testing the chair or customer reviews based on confirmed purchases. Of course, you also want an office chair that looks good, so we’ve considered style as well. And since the best ergonomic chairs overall are beyond many budgets, we’ve been sure to include some cheaper options that still provide at least basic ergonomic adjustability and support
1.Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh
This Gabrylly office chair has made it on a few of our lists for different types of office chairs, and there are many reasons why it made it to this one too.
This super adjustable office chair will provide you with adequate lumbar support, and most importantly, superior support for your neck.
There are three ways you can adjust the headrest: vertical adjustment, bracket adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Plus, the flip-up armrests can help you easily store the chair under the desk and create more space if needed. So whether you plan to use this chair at your home office or conference room, you can always be sure your spine and neck are in high-quality, ergonomic hands.
While this office chair offers excellent usability features and an affordable price tag, you might notice that you can lock it into position but only on certain parts of tilt, which might be a bit inconvenient if you use the tilt function often.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chair directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chair good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
2.Hегman Millег Mirra 2
If you work long hours at a desk every day, it’s worth investing in an ergonomic chair for back pain that will support your body properly, and our top recommendation is the Herman Miller Mirra 2. Yes, it’s expensive. But as you’d expect from a Herman Miller chair, it’s fantastically comfortable and looks stunning too. And it provides the best back support we’ve experienced.
The butterfly-shaped backrest responds effortlessly to your movements, making your spine feel cradled and supported, and preventing you from slumping or slouching. We also found that this chair comfortably holds you with knees slightly lower that hips, while your feet are flat on the ground – a key requirement ot sit properly on a chair straight from the UK’s National Health Service (for more on that, scroll to the bottom of this page).
The mesh is lovely and breathable, so you can stay cool on warm days. The chair offers excellent lumbar support, which can be adjusted for height (many of the cheaper chairs in our list include lumbar support but that isn’t adjustable) and the arms are fully adjustable too. The seat cushion distributes your weight beautifully, and it also takes the largest maximum load (159kg / 350lbs) of all the chairs on this list.
In short, this is the best ergonomic office chair that money can buy, bar none. For more Herman Miller options, see our dedicated guide to the best Herman Miller chairs and our Herman Miller Mirra 2 vs Aeron showdown.
- Features: tilt limiter with seat angle adjustment, adjustable FlexFront seat, adjustable arms, AirWeave 2 woven suspension seat, and carpet casters. Seat Depth- 16.25-18 Inches
- Lightweight design, offering a combination of simplicity, flexibility, and personalized ergonomics
- The Butterfly back combines the comfort of upholstery with the strength of polymer to provide back support; Fixed Seat Depth
- Recommended for people who need to quickly flex between individual activities and group work
- Shipped Partially assembled
- Renewed and Refurbished by OfficeLogix
If budget isn’t an issue for you and you simply want to get an ultra-comfy office chair that would protect your body, especially your neck, during long hours of office work, the Steelcase model with headrest should be one of your top picks.
This delicate yet super sturdy office chair will provide you with an upgraded sitting experience. Designed with a back and seat that move with you as a synchronized system, it offers the continuous and persistent support you’ve been looking for.
Its seat also has a flexible perimeter, allowing you to sit in a range of positions and have your arms and shoulders supported all the time. Plus, this chair can hold up to 400 pounds and accommodate almost any body type and preference.
While this chair is one of the best on the market, the only disadvantage is its price, which definitely puts this model under the label “premium office chair.”
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
If you’re a fan of unique, unusual and extravagant, the Duorest Gold has something in store for you.
This dual backrest ergonomic office chair, aka the game changer of posture chair, allows the spinal column to maintain its natural shape and keep the backbone free from pressure even when reclined.
This will help you forget about the back and neck pain and focus on what you’re doing while sitting at your computer desk. Apart from adjustable backrest depth and armrests, you can reduce fatigue after long hours of sitting by adjusting the height of the headrest according to your preferences.
Featuring a curved seat and dynamic lumbar support, the Duorest chair will help you keep good posture and enjoy your work environment.
The one disadvantage you can notice is that the armrests might be a bit noisy and rattle with motion.
- 【ERGONOMIC DUAL-BACKREST DESIGN】: The Duorest dual-backrest system offers max support for your back. Relieving pressure on your backbone by helping to maintain its natural shape. The dual backrests conform to your body. Moving with you for all-day freedom of movement, stability, and support.
- 【MAX COMFORT, IN THE OFFICE OR AT HOME】: This chair is perfect for back pain sufferers. Or if you want a more comfortable chair for long periods of sitting. The Duorest minimizes pressure on the back by more than 44lbs. And supports the natural curve of your spine for a straighter posture. This chair is ideal for you if you're tired of uncomfortable office chairs.
- 【CUSTOMIZABLE TO YOUR NEEDS】: You can personalize the Duorest Alpha model to fit your body shape and size. It's designed and built for your individual comfort and support. And covers more area of your back than most office chairs on the market. Plus, you can lean back up to 135 degrees, adjust tilt tension, and lock the chair at your desired recline angle.
- 【EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY & REASONABLE PRICE】: We're Duorest (AKA Duoback in South Korea). The industry leader in high-end ergonomic office chairs for over 35 years. Our factory produces and delivers straight to consumers. We also pass on the savings to you by taking out the middleman in office furniture stores. Alpha model passed the BIFMA, TB117, GREENGUARD Gold, and ISO 14001 & 9001.
- 【YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR TOP PRIORITY】: We design our unique and custom options with the customer in mind. Our customers trust us. And their satisfaction is invaluable to us. We always make sure that our products arrive as specified. If anything unexpected should occur with your order, contact us immediately. Warranty is valid for 1 – 3 years as specified.
If you prefer office chairs with segmented backrests for better neck and back protection, the KERDOM ergonomic office chair could be a perfect match for you.
This breathable computer desk chair provides four support points, including head, back, buttocks, hands, and proper lumbar support to ensure you can adjust your chair to your specific requirements. And while a height and rotate adjustable headrest will be protecting your neck, an abrasion-resistant seat cushion will be providing you with a comfortable experience.
As a result, this office chair is perfect for long-term office use and helps prevent fatigue. Plus, fully adjustable armrests will let you roll the chair close to the desk and create more space in your home office.
Just keep in mind that this chair isn’t a heavy-duty model, so if you’re looking for a big and tall office chair, you might want to consider other options.
- [Ergonomic design] The ergonomic chair provides 3 support points (back/hips/hands) and appropriate waist support.The height of the seat can be easily adjusted to meet different needs.Has strong stability, even if lying down will not fall.
- [Breathable Mesh] The back and cushion are breathable. A high-quality mesh is used to make it steady, well-shaped and elasticity. May you have a comfortable experience.
- [Space saving] You can flip the arms up and put the chair under the desk for saving space. The home desk chair can be placed in a relatively narrow area.
- [Fashion and modernization] Simple and beautiful design suitable for different decoration styles, it can be placed in your living room,meeting room,study room,office.
- [Easy to Install] A detailed installation video is in the manual and related video section. You can easily and quickly install it by yourself. If you have any question, please contact us at any time, a professional after-sales service team is ready to provide satisfactory solutions.
If you’re looking for a classic black mesh back office chair with a comfy headrest for your neck, the SIHOO ergonomic office chair competes on par with even more expensive models.
Featuring adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, tilt adjustment, and height-adjustable armrests, this office chair can be fitted to almost anybody and provide you with a highly customizable sitting experience. Plus, the W-shaped waterfall seat design ensures you sit centrally, and the adjustable headrest supports your cervical spine and helps prevent neck pain.
And did we mention this chair can support up to 330 pounds? So if you need a big and tall chair, this might be an excellent option for you.
Just keep in mind that the headrest might be too low if you’re 6’4” and taller.
- ★【Multiple Adjustments】5 ergonomic adjustabilities of this computer chair help you to find the most comfortable seating position for a long term sitting. Adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, and tilt adjustment plus height adjustable armrests. This executive swivel chair provide you a customized seating experience.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Back】The premium backrest features flexible mesh fabric without pattern, which gives you a cool feeling and comfortable sitting experience, promotes good air flow, eliminates sweating and moisture, to keep you focus and relax at the same time.
- ★【Well Padded Seat】W-shaped design for the seat ensures you sit centrally .The front edge of the seat has a waterfall front, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed.
- ★【High Quality & Easy Assembly】The surface of the arms is made of PU, a flexible plastic. This home office chair has passed the BIFMA test and the static pressure test of 1136 kg. Our ergonomic office chair can support a weight of up to 150 kg. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps.
- ★【Three Years Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within three years warranty period.
Can office chairs help Neck and back pain?
Health experts provide a lot of advice on the importance of using a good chair. “In the age of technology, we spend so much time sitting at our computers, and our bodies cannot maintain good posture for hours without fatiguing,” explains Dr Amy Hoover, a physiotherapist at workouts company P.volve.
“A chair that allows your lower back to maintain a good neutral position, supporting the natural curve in the lower back, can alleviate stress on the spine and improve the alignment of your spine all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst, a physiotherapist specialising in back pain and a specialist in Pilates, agrees. “The right chair set up is essential, not only to support the natural curves of the spine but also the shoulders,” she notes. “Armrests are really useful for someone who suffers neck and mid-spine pain. Lumbar support is also very useful. An adjustable seat plate, backrest and arms will allow the user to adapt the chair to their specific posture.”
What’s the best office chair for back pain?
That said, we recognise that with a price of around $1,500 / £1,300, the Mirra 2 is simply beyond many people’s budgets. We’ve taken that into account and included some more economical chairs for back pain in our guide too. Some of the cheaper options offer great ergonomic features for their prices, but they don’t have the same level of adjustability or support as the likes of the Herman Miller and HÅG Capisco chairs. We’d suggest reading below for a few pointers on what features to look for when you’re searching for the best office chair for back pain.
What chair features are good for Neck and back pain?
- Lumbar support (see below)
- Adjustable armrests
- Seat-depth adjustability
- Recline and tilt
James Crow, owner of Posture Stars, a website promoting good posture, says: “The best office chair for back pain is one that’s highly adjustable, so you can get the back to support you in a meaningful way. Invest wisely: we wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or car, but many of us are spending eight to 10 hours a day perched on a ‘value’ chair.”
It’s also important to replace an ageing chair, he says. “If your chair has been around for more than a decade it’s probably time to upgrade. The materials wear down over time, with seat padding especially taking a beating.”
What is lumbar support?
Why does this matter? Well, when sitting, your lumbar becomes sandwiched between the torso, above, and buttocks, below. When you sit, lumbar stress is one-and-a-half times higher than when you stand, and double compared to when you walk.
“Left unsupported over time, the strain causes stiffness, making the lower back prone to injuries like slipped discs,” Chongsu says. “Just like support beams in a building, lumbar support absorbs that strain and props your lumbar up, protecting it against stress and injury.”
How do you sit properly in an office chair?
When it’s time to choose which office chair for neck pain you’re going to order, there are a few things you need to compare and evaluate first.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
What type of headrest does it have?
While we noted that headrest isn’t a deal-breaker, it’s still good to have an option to use it and give your neck even more support. Some office chairs come with either adjustable/removable or built-in headrests. Which one you should choose depends on your preferences and height. We recommend opting for an adjustable headrest to ensure it’s not too low for your neck if you’re on the taller side. In addition, some chairs offer headrests that you can move up and down, back and forward, and change the tilt angle.
Is the seat cushion comfortable?
Yes, the comfort of your neck depends on your body’s overall experience when sitting. An ergonomically designed seat cushion that encourages you to sit straight and takes away pressure from your legs will definitely contribute to you feeling less tired at the end of your workday. Thick-padded waterfall or W-shaped seat cushions are some of the best options on the market.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
Suppose you really want to ensure the most comfortable seating position. In that case, a seat depth can give these extra adjustability options to ensure the lumbar support is actually “hugging” your spine in the right way. This feature is especially useful if you’re shorter.
Does it have adjustable armrests?
You might not think that armrests are an important feature of an office chair for neck pain. However, keeping arms in a proper position can help maintain good posture, prevent shoulder pain, and contribute to better rest in between work sprints. So even if you don’t use armrests often, it’s still a good thing to have them in case you ever change your mind and decide to test them out and see how it improves your experience.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain and Back Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain and Back Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
With nearly 65 million American adults dealing with back pain, it’s only logical that designers are making furniture more in tune with our bodies, especially office furniture. Those with desk jobs often spend the majority of a given workday in a sedentary, sitting position, which can exacerbate existing back pain. Making a choice as simple as deciding to swap out our existing office chair for an ergonomic model can help make you significantly more comfortable throughout the day.
What Are the Best Office Chairs for Back Pain?
The best office chairs for back pain are ergonomic chairs with built-in lumbar support. The lumbar region, also known as your lower back, needs support between the chair and the natural inward curve of your spine. Having this support helps you maintain a good and healthy posture. Without lumbar support, the natural tendency is to either slouch or lean forward, and the muscles in your back have to work even harder to support your spine’s correct alignment, which tires them out.
The importance of comfortable everyday seating cannot be overemphasized. Whether you are a professional at work or a student in college, if you find yourself hunched over the computer screen through the day and struggle with body ache as a result, the best chairs for neck pain can alleviate the problem to a great extent.
Shoulder, back, and neck pain are common among those tied to a desk. These ergonomic chairs for neck pain are designed with a strategic neck rest, cushioned bodies, and adjustable settings to help you maintain proper posture.
Poorly designed chairs can lead to posture problems, and posture problems can lead to a sore back and neck and an unpleasant office experience.
A sore spine will affect everything else you do throughout the day, which means you may seek medical attention, opt for massages, head to a chiropractor, and look for any kind of relief available. Maybe you find relief, but at what cost?
Best Chair for Neck and Back Pain – There are many reasons why you experience neck pain and Back Pain at work, one of them being your office chair. A chair without a headrest or one that is poorly positioned can add tremendous stress to the cervical spine, leading to neck pain over time.
In this buyer’s guide we looked at over 40 office chairs to come up with the best ones for neck pain. Besides offering superb neck support, they also meet our other requirements for what a great ergonomic chair should have.
Neck pain can be caused by many things, and sitting in an office chair all day long is one of them. If you experience fatigue and pain, it’s likely that your current office chair doesn’t provide you with proper back and neck support. And since you’re reading this right now, you probably already figured it out.
However, just a headrest isn’t enough to ensure your shoulders and neck are fully protected. If your chair doesn’t help you maintain correct posture throughout the workday, it means your spine is in the wrong position, and, as a result, your neck as well.
The best office chair for back pain can be quite an investment, but it’s an important one. Whether you work at home or in an office or studio, if you’re a digital creative you probably spend a large portion of the day sitting at a desk. Experts on health warn against long periods of time sitting, and how we sit and what we sit on can exacerbate the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle. Taking regular breaks and changing posture, is highly recommended, but for those of us who have no choice but to spend long hours at a screen, the best ergonomic office chairs can at least help ensure we’re sitting well.
Bad posture can cause really serious health issues in the long term. The best ergonomic office chairs can help avoid this by supporting the back in the right places, particularly the lower back area known as the lumbar spine. Supporting the lumbar spine’s natural curve and keeping it in a neutral position is recommended to alleviate stress on the spine. The best office chairs for back pain do this with the use of various forms of support – fixed in the case of cheaper chairs and adjustable in more expensive option.