Best Chair for Neck Support – If you think that you don’t need a chair and doing exercise will be enough to cure your neck pain, then let us tell you that a comfortable office chair designed specifically for individuals suffering from chronic pain will be effective from day 1.
Whereas exercise won’t be very effective because you will spend a large portion of your day sitting on a chair, and your posture will be compromised a lot.
Thirty minutes of exercise can’t overcome the fatigue of sitting for 7 hours in a bad posture. Trust us; it’s your body; you must take care of it. You can try one of the office chairs listed above for a day and notice the difference.
Talking about Americans, around 30% of American adults suffer from chronic neck, and out of this 30%, 70% of individuals suffer from neck pain due to bad sitting posture.
If you are among those who experience neck pain, and if it’s due to bad posture, we highly recommend you replace your current chair with something more comfortable and ergonomic.
If you are among those who still enjoy working on the bed, you must note that this enjoyment is temporary. You are putting a lot of pressure on your neck and your back. That’s the reason you are experiencing neck pain.
This Gabrylly office chair has made it on a few of our lists for different types of office chairs, and there are many reasons why it made it to this one too.
This super adjustable office chair will provide you with adequate lumbar support, and most importantly, superior support for your neck.
There are three ways you can adjust the headrest: vertical adjustment, bracket adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Plus, the flip-up armrests can help you easily store the chair under the desk and create more space if needed. So whether you plan to use this chair at your home office or conference room, you can always be sure your spine and neck are in high-quality, ergonomic hands.
While this office chair offers excellent usability features and an affordable price tag, you might notice that you can lock it into position but only on certain parts of tilt, which might be a bit inconvenient if you use the tilt function often.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chairs directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chairs good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
2.Duramont Ergonomic Office Chair
This one is a trendy office chair, and it is featured on several popular websites like Fox, CBS, NBC, etc., for its effectiveness in back pain.
Duramont Ergonomic office chair is a very soberly designed chair known for its functionalities. It comes with adjustable lumbar support, headrest, and armrests. Thus, you can customize every major component of it as per your body type.
The USP of this chair is its seat; it is designed in a “W” shape; therefore, it will offer better comfort to your bottom. Apart from this, to give you a better overall experience, high resilience foam cushions are used in the back and seat of this chair.
The wheels and base of the Duramont Ergonomic office chair are quite durable; this chair will easily last for years for you. It can hold up to 300 pounds of weight.
If you want a sleek and sober yet effective office chair, you can go with Duramont Ergonomic Office Chair.
Pros & Cons
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
This Steelcase gesture chair is minimal in terms of appearance and loaded with every required ergonomic feature.
This chair has a clean fabric finish on the backrest and the seat. The padding is quite thin, but that thin is effective enough to out-stand almost every other chair with thick paddings.
The chair’s armrests are fully adjustable and are designed specifically to provide additional support to your elbow. While using this chair, your upper body will be relaxed all the time.
All your body joints will have to bear minimal, or we would say negligible strain.
The chair’s backrest is S-Shaped and ergonomically designed there your back won’t struggle during long sitting sessions. Besides the backrest, you also get lumbar support that isn’t adjustable but still more effective than most of the lumbar support you could in this price range.
The seat is flexible enough to reduce maximum strain from the hip joint and lower back and allow users to sit in any possible posture.
The tilt-mechanism in this chair is synchronized; therefore, with every body movement, the backrest and seat adjust themselves to provide maximum comfort.
At the top, you get a very comfortable and adjustable headrest with appropriate padding to provide an additional neck support. You can switch between different angles with this headrest.
At the bottom, you get a seat height adjusting knob, tilt-tension knob, and sturdy metal base further attached with smooth floor-friendly caster wheels. This chair can support a maximum weight of 400 lbs, therefore irrespective of your body type, you will find this chair extremely comfortable.
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for hard flooring
- Ergonomic chair – this model includes an adjustable headrest, adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, adjustable lumbar, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, wrapped upholstered back and seat, black/black frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support. Seat Height from Floor : 16" - 21"
- Quality and durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
- Ships fully assembled; 12 year manufacturer warranty
- NOTE : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
4.CLATINA Ergonomic High Swivel
If you want your chair to look posh and stylish and, at the same time, you want to be effective on your neck pain, you must explore Clatina’s Ergonomic High Swivel office chair.
This chair offers everything that you would expect. It’s functional as well as beautiful in design.
In this chair, you get 3D adjustable armrests, adjustable lumbar support, and an adjustable headrest as well.
This chair has some synchronization between its back and seat. The chair helps you maintain the perfect posture even while reclining through this technique.
You’ll get five years of after-sales service and 90 days free return on this chair. Perhaps, you can easily try your hands on this chair, and if you feel like keeping it, you are covered for the next five years.
The maximum weight it can hold is 275 pounds; this chair is also sturdy.
Pros & Cons
- FULLY ADJUSTMENT DESIGN: you can adjust the seat height and depth, the armrest height and angle, the lumbar support height, the backrest tilt angles and tilt tension. All these designs aim to help you find a comfortable sitting position just for you.
- RELIABLE COMFORT: this super comfortable office chair features breathable back that allows airflow to keep your back cool. Besides, the updated thick pad with soft texture can obviously decline the pressure of the sedentary.
- ENHANCED FRAME: featuring reliable ergonomic support, this 360 degree swivel chair seat back reclines from 90 up to 135 degrees. Its gas lift has been tested and the solid construction can support up to 275 lbs.
- EASY TO INSTALL: simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in FIVE simple steps! Once chair is mounted, you’ll be able to adjust the chair to fit your individual needs.
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Your satisfaction is our #1 priority. We offer a 60-month warranty and free replace or return service within 90 days. Feel free to contact our CS if you have any questions. (please note: We will ship the chair and headrest in separate packages, you can contact our CS for the tracking number of separately packages.)
Thousands of people who were looking for a budget office chair to support their neck and shoulder landed on a great option by Staples.
The Staples Hyken Technical Task sells out quickly. It has an excellent breathable mesh back and adequate lumbar support. It’s the headrest that sets it apart from other budget chairs, though. You can adjust that headrest slightly up and down, in addition to angling left and right.
The mesh backing is well constructed and does a great job of being breathable.
Now, as a budget chair, the Staples Hyken isn’t perfect. Some owners complained about some adjustment options dying after about a year’s use, which could be worrisome for prospective buyers. But you know what you’re getting into when you buy a cheaper chair.
This chair also doesn’t recline, which could be a potential issue if you have lower back pain and need to recline to get some movement during the day.
Everything about this chair is made of plastic, so its weight capacity is lower at 250 lbs.
As a budget chair, you’re limited for color choices. So, we hope you like black.
This chair comes unassembled, so be ready to put it together.
Pros & Cons
- Sold as 1 Each.
- BREATHABLE MESH MATERIAL: This high-back office chair has a mesh breathable back that offers a modern look while keeping you cool. Built for both form and function, the mesh upholstery allows air to circulate while providing enough support for your body.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Adjustable tilt tension and tilt lock let you find an ideal seating angle, and height adjustment options make it easy to find the proper configuration for your desk. Plus, each arm on this desk chair adjusts height for ultimate comfort.
- DIMENSIONS: This mesh task chair measures 24"L x 27"W x 46"H. Designed with sturdy carpet casters, this executive office chair can support up to 250 pounds over a full workday and easily roll across your office floor.
- WE ARE STAPLES: The line between work and life is blurring. We have solutions to keep your teams productive, connected and inspired. Whether you know exactly what you need, or you're looking for tools and inspiration to hit goals, Staples is here for you.
6.BERLMAN Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
If you want something that can offer you out-of-the-box features, the Berlman Ergonomic Office chair is the one for you.
Apart from every other basic functionality, you’ll get flip-up armrests in the Berlman office chair.
It’s again a very stylish ergonomic chair that is worth every penny. Unlike, Nouhaus office chair, it comes with a fixed headrest. Thus, you can’t adjust its alignment and height as per your requirements.
From our point of view, a fixed headrest is great as well. Berlamn Ergonomic Office chair is made up of mesh; thus, you won’t feel sweaty in hours of sitting.
Adjustable lumbar support makes it a great option for people like you who have been experiencing neck pain. Apart from the lumbar support, the chair’s curve design is super effective in neck pain-related problems.
This chair has a tilting range of 90-120 degrees; you can adjust the height and even alter the resilient of tilting backward using a knob provided below the chair.
This Berlman ergonomic chair can hold up to 250 pounds of weight.
Pros & Cons
- Comfortable Office Chair-- High dinsity sponge and wide seat offer super suport for your body.
- Breathable Computer Chair -- Mesh back with lumbar support office chair keep you comfortable all day work.
- Adjustable Desk Chair--Filp-up armrest and Seat height and backrest leaning function when you need rest.
- Durability Mesh Chair-- desk chair frame made of High quality material which can be used for years.
- Easy to assemble-- Come with clear instruction, Sturdiness footbase and wheels be made for 250lb capacity.
Most Important Things to Look For in an Office Chair for Neck Pain
The most important thing in preventing neck pain is to maintain proper posture. As such, the key features in an office chair that are most effective in preventing and reducing chronic neck pain are ones that encourage a good sitting position.
What is an ergonomic chair? It’s a chair that allows you to sit and work in the most proven position that’s healthy for your back, hips, arms, neck, shoulders and wrists. The best ergonomic chairs can accommodate a variety of different sized people. More expensive options from companies like Herman Miller and Steelcase, for example, are insanely ergonomic because they can support a 6-foot-3-inch, 225-pound man just as good as it can support a 110-pound, 5-foot-2-inch woman.
In terms of neck and shoulder pain, you want a chair that features an ergonomic headrest, in addition to multi-positioned lumbar support.
Remember, the human body is all connected. So a tight hip is going to pull on your hamstrings, which in return is going to pull on your lower back and so on and so on. So, a chair that is ergonomical all around is a necessity.
Build quality is certainly important when purchasing any office chair.
Think about how long you’ll be using this chair. If you work from home, it could be anywhere from six to 10 hours each day five days per week. That’s well over 1,500 hours of use each year. If you buy cheap junk, it’s not going to last.
So, what should you look for in terms of build quality? Here are some suggestions:
- Metal support. There are certainly office chairs made completely of high quality plastics that can last, but nothing is as tough as metal. Find a chair with at least a metal base so that can handle day-after-day use.
- Made in the U.S. You can find a quality office chair that’s mass produced overseas, but it’s not going to feature the same quality as an American-made chair. Of course, those American-made chairs, like those by Herman Miller, are going to be significantly more expensive.
- Quality mesh. Many office chairs feature mesh because it’s supportive and breathable. Make sure the mesh is taught and not fraying. Higher quality chairs feature top of the line mesh.
This isn’t always the case, but the higher quality bikes tend to come with longer warranties because the craftsmanship is so high in the first place.
A chair with good back support is also going to help with your neck and shoulders. Why is that? Because if your chair is letting you slouch, you’re not going to be looking at your computer screen and typing in the best possible position.
Your first order of business is finding a chair with adjustable lumbar support. This is typically a slider that also protrudes in and out, allowing you to pinpoint the perfect amount of pressure to support your back. The best lumbar supports have adjustable heights, depth and firmness.
In addition to lumbar support, there’s also the backrest, which should tilt back at least 20 degrees. For those with bad back pain, you need a chair that can recline at least 135 degrees. If your chair can’t recline, you can’t stretch that lower back throughout the day. The backrest should be height adjustable.
Why is tilting so important? It allows your back to make “micro movements” throughout the day. The best office chairs allow you to lock in that recline position, which can be quite comforting for your back.
An adjustable headrest — specifically something that can pivot — is extremely important if you need an office chair to help alleviate your neck and shoulder pain.
The headrest should adjust up and down, but also have the ability to pivot left and right. Not everyone’s neck pain is in the same spot, so having the ability to adjust left and right as well is a really helpful feature.
Not everyone needs a headrest, though. If you don’t suffer from neck pain, a headrest could actually be cumbersome for your back because it can restrict movement in the upper body. If you have neck pain, though, you’re definitely going to want a headrest.
Head and Neck Support
Let’s start with the most obvious – head and neck support. There are two types of neck support commonly found on ergonomic office chairs.
The first is a fixed headrest that spans the width of the entire backrest. Typically found on executive office chairs, it consists of a protruding pillow that can be very comfortable, provided it is the right height.
The second type of neck support comes in the form of an articulated headrest that is shaped and curved to conform to the user’s cervical spine. If you have neck pain, it’s vital that any articulated headrest is at least height adjustable to support the exact region of your neck that needs extra support. Otherwise, it could exasperate your condition.
The lower part of the spine naturally curves inward to create what is called the lordotic curve. A lumbar support fills in the gap between the backrest and the spine to prevent slouching, which can lead to a forward head posture over time.
Look for a chair with a good lumbar support, which can greatly help prevent postural problems that cause not just neck pain, but shoulder and back pain as well.
There are three types of lumbar support that can be found in office chairs:
- Fixed Lumbar Support: Typically found on lower end chairs, it cannot be adjusted to better fit the user.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: For this type, the height, depth, or firmness of the lumbar support can be manually adjusted.
- Dynamic Lumbar Support: The best out of the three, it automatically adjusts its depth and firmness depending on your position.
A lumbar support depth of 0.6 to 2” is sufficient for most people. However, since women have a more pronounced lordotic curve, a better choice for them would be an office chair with a deeper lumbar support. If you’re on the tall side, a taller lumbar support is ideal.
When talking about neck pain prevention in the office, the armrests are probably one of the last things that you’ll think of. However, lack of arm support or poorly placed arms while working can lead to shoulder pain, which can then travel to the neck.
The proper arm position is such that the forearms are parallel to the desk surface, with the elbows assuming a 90 – 100 degree open angle. At this position your arms and shoulders are most relaxed.
To achieve this posture, look for office chairs with armrests that are at least 2D (height adjustable).
Robust Seat Height
Another feature that you’ll want in an office chair for neck pain is robust seat height control. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a seat height adjustment range of 15 to 22” works for most people. The reason for this as it relates to neck pain is the same as armrest height adjustment.
When your desk is too high, you move your shoulders up and raise your hands, wrists, and forearms to reach the right height. However, staying in this position for too long will strain your neck muscles and eventually cause headaches as the suboccipital muscles at the bottom of your skull get fatigued.
On the other hand, when your desk is too low, your neck and upper body flexes forward, shortening your suboccipital muscles and causing headaches, neck pain, and muscle spasm.
Proper High Back
Most office chairs are designed in one size that fits, give or take, a standard person.
However, if you experience neck pain from sitting, you will benefit from office chairs with tall back that will fully support your frame from the bottom all the way to the top.
High back chair will not only fit you better but…it will also provide additional support for your upper back, shoulders, scapulae and neck!
We recommend the backrest height to be, at least, 28″ which would fit anyone up to 6’2″.
This is, by far, the simplest AND overlooked thing that you would need to take into account when buying an office chair. If you are a taller guy/girl, look for high back chairs. If you are a shorter person, look for a short/mid-back office chair. Some manufacturers offer chairs of different sizes (e.g. Alera Elusion that comes in both – mid- and high-back – size) whereas others don’t. One way or another, make sure the chair fits you well to begin with – the rest of the features are only used for fine-tuning.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
How to Reduce Neck Pain While Sitting At a Desk Or When Using a Laptop
Neck pain appears from prolonged sitting while maintain a posture that is incorrect. To get rid of it you have to set up the monitor all the way up to your eye level so that it’s right in front of you and you are not looking down. This is by far the most significant adjustment you have to make.
So if you are using a laptop, you should ideally have these:
- a laptop stand (this thing would actually elevate the monitor all the way to your eye level)
- a separate keyboard and mouse (as you won’t really be able to use the ones on your laptop)
You should also have your ergonomic chair setup in the correct manner. Make sure it’s:
- Big enough for your frame (especially the backrest)
- Setup up according to your body type (e.g. knees and elbows at 90 degrees)
It is also recommended to take regular breaks and actually get up from your ergonomic office chair. If you get up every half an hour and spend a few minutes standing, that would go long way not only towards your neck health but towards your overall health.
Best Chair for Neck Support – There are many reasons why you experience neck pain at work, one of them being your office chair. A chair without a headrest or one that is poorly positioned can add tremendous stress to the cervical spine, leading to neck pain over time.
In this buyer’s guide we looked at over 40 office chairs to come up with the best ones for neck pain. Besides offering superb neck support, they also meet our other requirements for what a great ergonomic chair should have.
The importance of comfortable everyday seating cannot be overemphasized. Whether you are a professional at work or a student in college, if you find yourself hunched over the computer screen through the day and struggle with body ache as a result, the best chairs for neck pain can alleviate the problem to a great extent.
Last but not least! Here are some great stretches and exercises for when you are starting to feel pain the neck and shoulder area.
It is recommended to do those exercises regularly but without too much pressure because you only really want to release some muscles while activating others.
Shoulder, back, and neck pain are common among those tied to a desk. These ergonomic chairs for neck pain are designed with a strategic neck rest, cushioned bodies, and adjustable settings to help you maintain proper posture.