Best Chair for Old Person – The number of senior citizens or old person living in specialist retirement housing or in care homes is relatively low – around 400,000 people according to Age UK – as most older people opt to live in their own homes. Having made that choice, it’s essential to be as comfortable as possible when it comes to our surroundings, from where we sit to where we sleep. A good quality mobility chair enhances quality of life in the immediate and longer-term.
But which kind of chair is best for the elderly? For optimal comfort as well as back, thighs and knee support, there should be just the right amount of padding, it should allow for flexibility and should be easy to clean.
Wading through the information to establish which rise and recline chair suits your particular situation best is time consuming, so we’ve done the hard work for you.
1.SIHOO Ergonomic Office Chair
The chair scores really highly on comfort, with one user writing: “Sometimes I sit on it to watch TV too because it’s the most comfortable seat in the house now.” However, some people find its lumber support a little aggressive! “Its main problem is that it can’t be retracted far enough out, so you constantly feel it pressing against your lower back even on the minimum setting,” one person writes, also complaining that the support is pretty hard with only a thin layer of foam, making it uncomfortable. Although this user is the minority, it might be better to pick a different model if a lot of lumbar support bothers you.
Generally, lots of users recommend this chair because it can be adjusted to suit their working style. “The adjustability on it is almost limitless,” a user gushes. However, a few people have complained that the chair can sink and it becomes harder to adjust the height over time. Most people agree though that the chair is easy to assemble by two people and it comes with good instructions and spare nuts and bolts, which is a nice touch.
When it comes to price, the vast majority of owners think the Sihoo ergonomic office chair is good value for money. “I’ve sat in more expensive chairs similar to this price and this chair doesn’t seem too far behind. It’s definitely worth the extra cash over the basic task chairs you’ll find everywhere,” says one customer. But while it looks great, some people say it doesn’t feel premium quality, which is fair enough “as it’s not a premium price.”
- 【Multiple Adjustments】The computer chair is designed according to ergonomics and has multiple adjustment functions, which can adjust the backrest, headrest, footrest, seat height and inclination angle, armrests and debugging pedals. This executive office chair can provide you with a customized experience
- 【High-quality Backrest】We select mesh woven fabrics with high tensile strength and strong air permeability as the backrest. The mesh backrest promotes air circulation, helps you relax better, and provides you with a comfortable sitting posture
- 【Ergonomic Design】Approved by the Ergonomics Association, through extensive research on human digital models, ergonomic designs are provided to protect your spine health and greatly reduce your spine pressure
- 【Easy to Install】This ergonomic chair has been certified by BIFMA and SGS. The office chair can bear a maximum weight of 150 kg. According to the installation manual, the installation can be completed quickly
- 【Warranty】If there are any quality problems, please contact us. After confirming, we will provide a replacement part or product for you. SIHOO provides full parts coverage for the three years of the warranty period, at zero cost for you
This office chair for the elderly has an interesting design but also provides enough adjustment for a senior adult to be comfortable as the day goes on. Its backrest will keep your back fully supported and comfortable, no matter how much time you spend working.
Last but not least, we have this home office chair for the elderly by HBADA. It features interesting aesthetics, intuitive features, and full adjustability for you to remain supported as your workday goes on. It also emphasizes your lumbar area, allowing you to continue working without worries. It’s one of the best office chairs for seniors in the market.
- ERGONOMIC RECLINER - Synchro tilt reclines the backrest increasing the angle between your torso and thighs for a comfortable, ergonomic sitting position. With multiple height, tilt, lift and lock settings for added adjustability, once you find your best position, use the tilt lock function to stay in place
- BREATHABLE MESH - Contemporary ergonomic black mesh office chair promotes increased air flow, keeping you feeling cool and comfortable during long sessions. Designed to provide you all-day comfort with fully upholstered back, height adjustable seat, armrests and pullout footrest
- ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR - Waterfall seat cushion slopes slightly downward to help reduce stress on your legs. Built-in lumbar support and rotatable headrest help you been in right sitting posture for protecting your neck and waist.
- OVERALL DIMENSION - Overall size: 26.8"L x 26.8"W x 45.7"-50.4"D. Height range: 17.3"-20.5". Seat area: 19.7" x 18.5". Backrest: 22.4" x 18.5". Suggested height under 5'10"
- STABLE & DURABLE FRAME - Steel frame construction ensures durability. 5-star silienced wheeled base allows for quick and easy movement on any surface. Weight capacity of the high back chair is tested to support up to 250 lb for maximum
All the important parts of your body that become vulnerable while you’re seated will be completely supported when using this chair by Gabrylly. All of its features are adjustable, and it’s also larger than most office chairs for the elderly found in the market. Thus, it is more appropriate for people with diverse heights. In addition, it supports up to 280 lbs, and it isn’t complicated to install.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chair directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chair good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
If you want a cost-effective option with everything you need in an office chair for older adults, you can consider this your top option. It is one of the best options in the market as it provides full adjustability for a good price. The weight capacity is also considerable, as it is capable of carrying up to 330 lbs. In addition, it’s extremely resistant and breathable.
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
Now that most of us are going to work from home at least part of the week, it’s worth investing in one of the best office chairs. After all, you’re likely going to spend as much time in front of a computer at your house as you are in an office building.
That’s where our guide to the best office chairs comes in. We’ve selected chairs that are not only comfortable, but ones that are adjustable, too. No two people are alike, so a chair should be able to conform to your body. And, it should be supportive of your lower back, shoulders, arms, and wrists, so you don’t suffer repetitive stress injuries.
Whether you’re buying a chair out of your own pocket or your company is footing the bill, we’ve included models ranging from less than to more than , to give you plenty of choices.
- ✌【PASSED BIFMA & HOLD UP TO 300LB】After 100,000 experiments, the seat surface is durable for 10 years, and the 360 degree rotation is durable for 10 years.An extra 4 cm heightened backrest, extra thick cushions and a thickened explosion-proof seat plate give you more comfort and double coverage.
- ✌【Responsive Material and Breathable Mesh Back】The ZLHECTO office chair utilizes primary cotton material, which intelligently responds to your body's unique features. By perfectly supporting your weight, size, and even temperature, it will help you feel more comfortable in jobs that require extended sitting. Additionally, the chair features a mesh back that allows airflow to keep you cool.
- ✌【Easy Adjustments for Customized Comfort】This mesh task chair is built with adjustable height & 360°free rotation: 8 cm lift up and down,support shoulder & back relaxation. The adjustable lumbar support and armrest enhance ergonomics for customized comfort.
- ✌【Rolling Base for Easy Maneuverability】Designed with a sturdy nylon base, this adjustable computer chair can support up to 300 pounds over eight hours of continuous use. The rolling casters allow easy, smooth motion across your office floor. Suitable for any floor and no damage.
- ✌【Five-year Warranty, No After-sales Worry】We Guarantee our customers 100% satisfaction with our premium desk chair! If you’re not satisfied with this executive chair, just email us and get a replacement or a full refund WITHNO EXCUSE! ACTION IS BETTER THAN HESITATION! ORDER IT NOW REGRET FREE! «ADD TO CART» RIGHT NOW!
6.Flash Furniture Chair
If you want to get a decent office chair, there are many options available like the Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Multifunction Chair or the one below. Do your back a favor.
The best ergonomic chair will work wonders for your aches and pains. Just like the best office chair can keep fatigue at bay.
Sitting at our desks for hours on end can be a real pain in the back, but it doesn’t have to be that way. The Flash Furniture Mid-Back Mesh Chair can help. You can also check out our best office chairs for lower back pain list and rest comfortably. No one likes back and joint pain from sitting too long.
This Flash Furniture Chair has a lot of great features to help your body sit ergonomically, which is more comfortable and more healthy. It can help you avoid serious issues that come from sitting with improper posture. Read my review below to see how this piece of cool furniture fared in my real-world tests.
- If you work, study or game for hours at a time then a normal desk chair just doesn't provide enough comfort. Take your seating to the next level and invest in this adjustable, executive swivel chair that is versatile enough for office or home use
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] Ventilated curved back provides lumbar support and breathability
- 360° Swivel seat allows you to reach multiple areas while seated
- Tilt lever - push in to lock in an upright position; pullout to activate rocking motion, while tilt tension knob controls tilt resistance
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 25.75"W x 25"D x 39-42.75"H | Seat Size: 21"W x 20"D x 17.5-21.75"H | Back Size: 21.75"W x 24"H | Arm Size: 27-33.5"H from floor; 9.25-12"H from seat
What To Consider When Selecting An Armchair For An Elderly Person?
When shopping for a chair for an elderly person, there will be several variables that you should consider. Selecting the wrong one can be a source of discomfort for the intended user, and might pose a danger to them if they aren’t able to rise from it easily. Comfort, adjustability, and neck and back support are three of the most important attributes.
A lot of considerations need to be made when narrowing down the right armchairs for seniors. You’ll want to make certain that the model you select is of proper height. A chair too short will be much more difficult to rise from, while a tall one might be a struggle to get seated on.
Proper cushion depth is also important. Avoid models that have depths more than 36 inches, as they will be harder to rise out of.
Depending on the need of the user, you may want to consider models that have a powerlift feature. At the push of a button, these models will slowly rise and tip forward until the user is in an almost upright, standing position. Seniors with advanced mobility issues find chairs of this variety to be extremely helpful.
Some elderly individuals will spend longer spans of time in their chairs. So making certain that the chair they use is a comfortable one is important. Select a model with cushions filled with down or high-density foam. These materials won’t crack or separate, causing sagging and uneven surfaces when the human body makes contact with them. They are also made to be the right combination of firm and plush, ensuring that they’re a comfortable place to sit.
As well as being comfortable to get into and out of, the ideal chair for senior must be comfortable to sit in as this can make a big difference in our ability to get the right amount of rest and relaxation, and face the activities of the day.
Choosing a made-to-measure specialist chair for seniors means you can enjoy a seat that is the perfect height, width and depth. There are two options:
- Take the measurements yourself and buy it over the phone;
- Ask a qualified company representative to bring relevant rise and recline chairs to your home for you to try out, and take measurements at the same time.
Having a bespoke chair means an elderly person can enjoy its benefits to the full. Otherwise, if the seat is too high, the person’s feet can’t touch the floor, which puts pressure on the back and makes legs feel uncomfortable. And if the seat is too low, the legs aren’t supported enough and the back of the thighs may ache.
The seat needs to be the ideal width as well. Too wide and it won’t support the torso. Too narrow and it may be a bit of a squeeze. Likewise, if the seat is too deep, the elderly person won’t be able to sit with their back fully supported. Adding cushions in this context does not provide even support.
Adjustable legs and arms are a plus when looking for a chair for an elderly person. Being able to increase or decrease the height will make the chair more accessible for different heights and levels of mobility. Arms that can raise or lower will accommodate the same.
An adjustable chair designed and engineered with attention to detail offers seniors support in all the right places. Older people should be able to sit for long periods with their back, hips and legs positioned correctly. Adjustments can be made to various features to make the entire experience more comfortable.
Single motor versus dual motor
Single motor rise and recline chairs have one motor to control all of the electric functions on the chair, so the backrest, footrest and riser functions are all operated through a single set of buttons.
Dual motor rise and recline chairs have two (or more) motors to power the back and footrest independently, giving more choice of seating position. Some even have a third motor to power the rise function, which tips the seat base forward so the occupant can stand up.
Tilt in space
This is when the seat and back remain fixed in position as you recline, reducing the risk of friction or other damage to the skin as the chair moves. Another benefit is that the legs can be elevated above the hips, helpful for elderly people with poor leg circulation, those with neck and back pain and for anybody for whom back and pelvis support is a particular concern.
Designed especially for seniors who are short on space, wall hugging electric rise and recline chairs move forward as they recline, so can be positioned about 10cm (4 inches) away from the wall.
The position of the reclining chair is changed using hand-operated controls, which are usually kept in a special pocket on the side. The controls have a series of large buttons, sometimes with pictures to show what they are used for. Some even light up so you can see them more easily in the dark.
Single motor rise and recline chairs tend to have simpler control panels because they have less functions than dual motor chairs.
The backs of reclining chairs come in different styles. Choose between them depending on the look that you prefer and – more importantly – your physical needs and requirements.
- Two tier: the top cushion is filled with extra padding so the chair provides extra support for the spine and neck.
- Waterfall: tiered layers of padding in three separate pillows that cascade down the back. Each compartment can be opened so the filling can be adjusted for precise control over back and neck support.
- Button back: due to the buttoning, the fillings are slightly compressed and therefore firmer, for seniors who want a comfortable yet firm level of support.
- Cushion back: the top, large back cushion is sewn laterally to hold the internal fibre in place. Suitable for those looking for especially good head support in the recline position.
- Lumbar support back: combines a waterfall back with a cushion back and has an extra pair of internal lower back support cushions for added support. It also has the benefit of keeping the user in the centre of the chair.
Rise and recline chair arms
Armrests help us to sit and stand. Some older people find that wooden arm ends offer a firmer grip than an upholstered arm. Angled arms are another option.
Rise and recline chair batteries
The majority of electric rise and recline chairs have a battery back-up system so that in the event of a power cut, users aren’t left in a reclined position, unable to get up. Back-up batteries are small – the size of a small box – and need to be replaced after use unless they are rechargeable.
Peace of mind is priceless, so people with pets or young children in the house might opt for a chair with an anti-crush feature. There are currently two ways this can work:
- A barrier stops cats, dogs or small children from getting beneath the chair;
- Sensors detect the presence of something underneath the chair and trigger a halt mechanism that stops it from lowering.
Neck And Back Support
Make sure the model chair you select has the right neck and back support so that the user’s body contours to it comfortably and naturally. Chair backs shouldn’t be too stiff and rigid, as this can aggravate both upper and lower back pain. If the intended user needs neck support, be sure that it’s properly padded with a high-density foam cushion.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">Wheels
Wheels allow us to transport loved ones quickly and safely between rooms within their rise and recline chair.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">Pressure management
Rise and recline chairs certainly enable older people to move around more whilst in a seated position, but the need for pressure relief to avoid areas of skin becoming inflamed and sore can still be an issue for those with particular health concerns. Three additional features can be considered:
- A built-in massage system;
- Memory-foam seats and footrests that mould to your body shape;
- Gel pads that spread the pressure of weight more evenly. These are often available free within the NHS but are relatively inexpensive to buy privately.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">Upholstery
Upholstery shouldn’t be the most important consideration when it comes to choosing an electric reclining chair for the elderly, but the house-proud will definitely want one that fits in with their current décor. Choosing a bespoke – chair for the elderly means you’ll have full control over the upholstery and the colour of the end product. It’s about style, comfort and keeping it clean.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">Maintenance/cleaning
Regular use of any item of furniture leads to the need for cleaning, and a rise and reclining chair is no different. It doesn’t take long to vacuum it at least once a week, but it will need a deep clean every few months.
Look at the care manual or tag to establish if there are any cleaning products to avoid – some upholstery is water-safe and other upholstery is solvent-safe.
What are the benefits of a chair for elderly?
Have you ever stood up from a chair and felt stiff, aching and in need of a stretch? Being properly aligned and having the seat at the optimum height will help to ensure that when you stand, you don’t necessarily experience these residual problems. A comfortable chair for seniors can bring additional core benefits:
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">1. Independence
It’s great being able to sit down and stand up without asking for help. At the touch of a button you are reclined into comfort, at the touch of another your feet can be elevated to the exact position that feels fantastic. And when you’re ready to stand up, it couldn’t be easier as the chair gently tilts forward to help you to your feet.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">2. Health
Some degree of joint pain affects almost everybody as we get older; a staggering nine million people suffer from osteoarthritis in the UK. It can affect joints from the fingers to the toes, and is particularly debilitating when it comes to the knees, back and neck.
Conventional chairs and sofas can exacerbate joint pain along with osteoporosis symptoms, but the right chair for elderly has the opposite effect.
Similarly, sitting in the same position for long periods of the day can be painful. Electric rise and recline chairs allow elderly people to sit – and recline – in a range of positions without having to move. Pressure sores are thus avoided and, along with painful areas on the lower legs and feet, are much more likely to heal when the legs can be elevated.
< class="fusion-responsive-typography-calculated" data-fontsize="30" data-lineheight="30px">3. Sleep, rest and relaxation
We are constantly hearing how important it is for mental and physical health, yet as we age, we tend to have a harder time falling asleep and more trouble staying asleep.
Almost half of older adults have symptoms of insomnia, according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. There are all sorts of reasons why older people are affected by sleep issues, from side effects of medication to stressful life events and ill health. Having a safe and comfortable place where we can take sanctuary on evenings when sleep eludes us, is a huge relief and increases the likelihood of drifting off ten-fold. Plus, if a little rest and relaxation is needed during the day, a rise and recline chair can be great for a catnap.
An adjustable chair for elderly can undoubtedly improve your quality of life, enhance your health, independence and even the look of your sitting room. The Mobility Furniture Company has been in the business for decades. We are here to help you choose the right specialist chair for your individual needs, arrange speedy delivery and provide a high level of after sales care.
Age is one of those things that catches up with all of us eventually. Comfortable armchairs for elderly can not only improve the quality of life, but even help support bodies that are challenged by weakness for one reason or another. Even if you are not elderly, such chairs can be generally beneficial for anyone who has been ill or even for someone who is tired at the end of a long day.
Some examples of armchairs that can be used by the elderly include:
- Simple straight back wooden armchairs, with high back and seat. The seat and back are cushioned, and the back cushion is contoured for extra support. The high seat makes it work well for tall individuals, and the wooden arms provide assistance for getting up and down.
- Orthopedic upholstered chair. At first glance, you’d not see any difference between this chair and any other wing-back overstuffed chair. However, the sturdy armrests and contoured back make this a comfortable place for someone with a painful or weak back to rest, read, or watch television. Add a footstool for those who need to put their feet up.
- Power-lift Recliners. These attractive chairs look just like any other recliner. While an ordinary recliner can be a comfortable place to sit, if you are challenged in any way they can be difficult to get in and out of. Power lift recliners are ideal armchairs for elderly or for anyone who is weak from illness or some sort of medical condition. Not only will the powered remote help recline the chair and return it to sitting position, but it can be used to gently assist the user with standing up.
- Bathroom Armchairs. Bathing can become an ordeal for older persons or for anyone who is experiencing loss of mobility. The Cascade, designed by Daniel Colby, allows the bather to sit in a gentle waterfall that cascades down the back and into a sitz-bath basin. The drain for the unit is in the basin. For those who are not handicapped, the Cascade bathing unit can be a quiet place to enjoy the soothing therapy of water and soap.
Armchairs for elderly don’t have to look like a hospital furnishing. They can incorporate nice upholstery, stylish lines, and should certainly incorporate comfort. They can be for the living room or designed for kitchen or even bathroom use.
When selecting armchairs for the elderly, consider the user’s strength. For example, not every older person needs a chair lift to be able to stand up from a sitting position. The user’s height and weight are also considerations that need to be taken into account. The seat depth needs to correctly accommodate the user’s leg length, as well as the height of the chair from floor to seat. The user’s mental state must also be taken into consideration – for example, can the person safely operate the controls of a lift chair? Nor should esthetics be left out of the selection process. An item that will be used often, such as a favorite chair, should be visually and texturally appealing as well as practical.
Best Chair for Old Person – Whether you’re helping care for someone elderly, or are thinking about your own future needs that come with aging, knowing your options for the best furniture is important.
As we age, our mobility declines, resulting in seemingly simple tasks, like rising from a seated position, to become more challenging. There are a number of high armchairs on the market for seniors. Which ones are the best? We’ve researched high armchairs from numerous professional sources and testimonials for your benefit.