Best Chair for Short Person – Most office chairs are built to accommodate an average frame. If you are petite or short in stature (under 5’3” for women and under 5’8” for men), your so called ergonomic chair could be exacerbating your existing aches and pains – or potentially creating new ones.
In this guide we take a look at all the important ergonomic factors that short people need to focus on when picking an ergonomic chair, followed by a comprehensive list of the best office chairs for short people. All of these chairs are appropriately sized in the key areas that make all the difference for short people, from seat depth, height, to seat pan width.
Please note that we will be using terms such as “short”, “shorter” or “petite” to describe people that are under the statistically average height for men and women. This post will not focus on chairs for little people, or people with dwarfism.
1.Flash Furniture Mid-Back
The Flash furniture office chair is great for shorter people, which is why we nominated it as our Top Pick and the best office chair for a short person. We like that it has some of the best seat adjustments for not just the seat, but the back and arms as well. You’ll especially like that the armrests can also flip up giving you the freedom to transition between a seat with armrests or without when you don’t need them.
We like that this chair comes with a ventilated mesh backrest that comes with built-in lumbar support. Thanks to the pneumatic controls, you can smoothly adjust the seat height from 17 to 20.5 inches. And thanks to the comfortable padded seat, you’ll stay comfortable as you work and will appreciate having this as part of your office furniture. And for a sheer luxury experience, check out any one of the most comfortable office chairs.
Pros & Cons
- Satisfy all the professionals in the office with a high standing desk, with this ergonomic drafting stool with flip-up arms. The contemporary high back draft chair serves as your dual office chair, to be enjoyed as an armless chair or with arms
- Ventilated curved back provides lumbar support and breathability
- Full swivel seat, modernized height adjustable foot ring, pressure relieving contoured seat with waterfall edge
- Tilt lever - push in to lock in an upright position; pullout to activate rocking motion, while tilt tension knob controls tilt resistance
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 27"W x 27"D x 42-49.5"H | Seat Size: 20"W x 19"D x 21.5-29"H | Back Size: 17-17.75"W x 21"H | Arm Size: 30.75-38.5"H from floor; 6.5"H from seat | Foot Ring Size: 20" Diameter
2.Ergousit Ergonomic Office Chair
This office chair for petite people by Ergousit features an interesting butterfly shaped backrest design that not only enhances your overall comfort while sitting, but it is also made to fit most interior styles. More specifically, the S-curve back frame perfectly adapts to the human body, fitting the spine and ultimately allowing you to sit for several hours each day without experiencing any pressure or discomfort.
The chair has a ton of adjustable features included which help you find and keep a comfortable seating position. That’ll help you reduce back and neck pain. These adjustments include height customization, which allows the chair to go as low as 15”, and a rocking mechanism that lets the chair tilt from 90 degrees to 110 degrees. Plus, the curved headrest, made of mesh fabric, provides head and neck support while you work.
As for the seat cushion, included in the chair we found a thick cushion made of high-density foam that is supposed to keep its original W-shaped design to provide a larger support area while dispersing pressure on your hips and legs.
Last but not least, the breathable mesh used on the backrest enhances air circulation to prevent heat from accumulating.
As a negative note, we noticed that if you sit in the chair leaning all the way back the armrests might result too far apart to actually be 100% comfortable.
Pros & Cons
- Conforms to you: With it’s 3D Adjustable Armrest and Lumbar System, ElastoMesh, 135 Degree Back Tilt. The ergonomic design conforms to the human body curve, allowing you to maintain a comfortable and healthy posture at all times, – it’s easy to think the Ergo3D is from the future, but instead it’s evolved Ergo Seating at its finest and it’s here now.
- Ease into Work, or Play: Mesh Headrest adjusts up and down while the 3D Adjust Arms go forwards, back, up, down, side to side, and rotate for the best fit to your body. And Lumbar System which creates total spinal support, arched seat cushion design reduces the pressure on the legs, Made with breathable Mesh adjustable headrest, up/down motion for adjustable height Can meet the needs of different scenarios.
- Soft HD Mesh Office Chair: Our breathable ElastoMesh provides optimal airflow to avoid sweating and sticking. But it’s also smooth, and nothing like sitting on wire like many of the chairs you’ll see today. And while it’s good to take regular breaks, the Ergo3D is so comfy you’ll forget you’re even working.The large backrest gives you the strongest backing.
- Heavy Duty: Our 5-Point Base with dual castors gives greater stability and strength over common 4-Point, single castor chairs. And our strong aluminum base makes this heavy-duty office chair ideal for adults up to 275 lb.
- 5-Year Warranty: All task chairs come with 5 year after-sale support, If there is any issue, please contact us directly through your order,we will provide you a 100% satisfied solution.
When you’re a petite person, a seat that can be lowered beneath 18 inches isn’t just a nice to have, but an essential feature. Our Honorable Mention goes to this leather executive office chair from AmazonBasics. In addition to creating a lux effect for any office setting, we like that that swiveling chair can adjust to as low as 16.5 inches for the seat height — making it one of the best ergonomic office chairs.
While this doesn’t feature the popular breathable mesh backrest, we do like that you get a 360-degree swivel function and that this chair is available in three colors — black, white, and brown. It also features one of the highest weight capacities from our research, with the ability to support up to 275 pounds. And as is common, this chair also features a five-spoke base with casters. Compare this model to the best executive leather office chair that is also able to support up to 275 pounds..
Pros & Cons
- Padded mid-back rolling office chair upholstered in durable polyurethane bonded (faux) leather
- Height-adjustable padded seat with adjustable seat angle, tilt control and padded armrests; perfect for home office, computer desk, guest work station or conference room
- 5-legged base with durable casters for smooth-rolling mobility; 275-pound max weight capacity
- Product weighs 26.5 pounds; assembly instructions included
- BIFMA Certified
- Chair measures 24 x 24.2 x 34.8-38.6 inches (LxWxH); seat width 20.1-inches, seat depth 16.5-inches, seat back height 18.7-inches
4.KOLLIEE Mid Back Mesh
Other than offering a variety of customizable features, this petite chair by Kolliee caught our attention thanks to its good price for value ratio. For less than $120 you can purchase an ergonomic office chair with an adjustable height mechanism that can make the chair go as low as 15” to help you find the most comfortable position to work in.
Speaking of comfort, the chair was designed with a human-oriented ergonomic construction, meaning that the lumbar support will provide back support throughout the day to effectively reduce sitting-related back pain or stress.
The backrest is entirely made of high-density mesh to allow air to circulate freely, while the seat provides a high-resilience foam cushion to keep pressure off your legs. Compared to other foam cushions we’ve found during our search for the best office chair for short people, we think this one is quite durable and built to last without losing its shape over time.
Lastly, we’d like to mention that even though the armrests aren’t adjustable nor padded, they can be flipped up in case you need to store the chair or if they just bother you while working.
Pros & Cons
- SWIVEL, ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT MESH OFFICE CHAIR: 360 degree swivel, adjustable height mechanism, flip up armrests.
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR: This office chair designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction, providing back support to reduce back pain caused by long time sitting.
- HIGH QUALITY OFFICE CHAIR: Our office chair is high quality, environmentally that comes from a responsible manufacturer.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY MATERIALS: American-made high density mesh, high resilience foam cushion, high quality gas lift cylinder. All materials are in good quality, durable, and not easy to deform.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Our office chair is easy to install. We offer installation instruction and video to help you.
5.KERDOM Ergonomic Desk Chair
Another great ergonomic chair for short people we found is this space-saving chair by Kerdom. In terms of comfort, it offers three support points (back, hips and hands), to help you keep a correct posture when sitting. Moreover, the height can be adjusted from 15.4” up to 18.9” to specifically suit petite people.
Whenever you need to take a small break and relax, the chair’s 90-125 degree rocking mechanism will be just what you need. And when you want to sit upright, the adjustable lumbar support will constantly make sure you won’t sit in an unhealthy position.
This chair comes in handy whenever you need to save space because thanks to its small dimensions and flip-up armrests you’ll be able to make it fit under any kind of desk. Plus, its simple design can fit close to any interior.
This chair has a light breathable mesh back to help you survive hot summer days in the office. The material was used on the backrest as well as the seat cushion to keep you fresh during the day. It’s a reliable and sturdy office chair for people with a petite physique and it comes in 6 different color options. On the negative side, the armrests aren’t padded and they can’t be adjusted in height or width.
Pros & Cons
- [Ergonomic Design] The ergonomic chair provides 4 support points (head/back/buttocks/hands) and proper lumbar support. The seat height, headrest and backrest easily adjusted to meet different needs.
- [Roller Blades Wheels] The roller blade wheels are silent and can move to 360° directions. It's soft and smooth which protects your floor without without noise and scratches. And it fits all types of floor, wooden, carpet and etc.
- [Breathable Mesh] The back and cushion are breathable. A high-quality mesh is used to make it steady, well-shaped and elasticity. May you have a comfortable experience.
- [3D Armrests] The Armrests are 3D Freely Adjustable. It can change to any directions to fit your arms. Even you can remove them for more space as you like.
- [ Easy to Install ] A detailed installation video is on the manual and related video section. You can easily and quickly install it by yourself. If you have any question, please contact us at any time, a professional after-sales service team is ready to provide satisfactory solutions.
If you’re in search of a chair in which you can adjust literally anything, you might not need to spend more time looking for it. With the Modway office chair for petite people, you can change not only seat and armrest height but also back and seat tilt.
You’ll also appreciate its contemporary design that can fit in almost any modern interior (in case you need to use it for a home office), as well as the good variety of different colors this chair comes in. You can adjust the seat height to as low as 19,5” to ensure you feel comfortable during the day.
This chair also has an impressive 6” padded and contoured seat cushion, which should prevent your body from aching after a long workday. In addition, this is one of the sturdiest chairs included in our list since it can support up to 330 lbs.
It’s a bit more expensive than the two previous chairs, yet it’s totally worth the money. Just in case you want to look into some of the cheapest, here you can find our review of the best inexpensive office chairs under $100.
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR - Featuring reliable ergonomic support, Articulate comes with a breathable mesh back, passive lumbar support, and generously padded and contoured 6” thick mesh seat cushion
- RELIABLE COMFORT - Designed with productivity in mind, Articulate is perfect for everyday use. Sturdy and supportive, this executive office chair holds up to 331 lbs and comes in a variety of colors
- ADJUSTABLE SEATING - Articulate is a computer chair that easily adjusts to your needs with height adjustable armrests, one-touch chair height adjustment, 360 degree swivel, and a tilt and lock system. Seat : 18 - 22"H
- OFFICE UPDATE - Refresh your office space with this versatile choice for computer desks and workstations. Enjoy mobility over carpeted or hardwood floors with five dual-wheel casters
- OFFICE CHAIR MEASUREMENTS - Product Dimensions: 26.5"L x 26"W x 34 - 39"H; Armrest Height: 27.5”H - 32"H. Backrest Height- 22 H inch. Cushion Thickness-6 inch. Floor to top of Bacrest- 37 - 41.5 H inches, Seat To Top of Backrest- 22 inch
Most Important Features in an Office Chair for Short People
If you’re short or small-framed, your choice of office chair is going to be limited. The one universal consideration to keep in mind when you’re petite is adjustability.
If a chair’s seat pan is too deep, it can cause circulation problems for short people, as your legs will be dangling off the floor and applying undue pressure to the soft underside of your thighs.
For shorter people, we recommend a seat depth of around 18” or less. It should also be depth adjustable to allow further personalization.
To calculate the ideal seat depth for yourself, in a seated position, measure the distance from the end of your buttock to the end of your inner thighs. There should be 2″ of space between the back of the knees and the seat of the chair. The best seat depth leaves that space at the end of the seat’s edge to prevent cutting off circulation in your thighs.
The seat height of an average office chair is adjustable between 18”-22”. If you’re short, look for a chair that can at least be lowered to 18” or even lower. The good news is, seat height is not nearly as important as seat depth for short people, as you can always just use a footrest if the chair doesn’t go low enough for you.
Proper seat pan height can be calculated by sitting in your chair and calculating the distance from the floor to the backs of your knees. Be sure to take into consideration the thickness of your shoes as this can affect your measurements.
Back Height and Forward Tilt
The backrest should be adjustable to meet your height requirements. Ideally, it should also be able to tilt forward – this avoids you having to perch precariously on the edge of your seat and adding pressure to your lower back.
Your backrest should adjust to support your lower back. Depending on the seat depth, a lumbar support that is depth adjustable may be necessary to ensure it meets your back fully to support it.
The chair’s armrests should be fully adjustable, especially width wise to bring them closer to your body. It might seem obvious, but make sure they are well padded as well. Hard armrests can overtime pinch the ulnar nerves in the bony part of your elbows, leading to cubital tunnel syndrome.
With those prerequisites out of the way, the following are the best office chairs for short people that meet most if not all of the criteria laid out.
Picking an office chair is all about finding the one most likely to keep you comfortable after extended periods. And this is especially true when you’re shopping for a chair and are shorter than average height. To create our guide, we focused on the following key features — adjustability, lumbar support, seat height, and materials.
All of our recommendations featured adjustability specifically in customizing seat height. But if you want full customization, you’ll want to look for chairs that allow for backrests that can be independently raised or lowered, back angles, and adjustable armrests.
Lumbar support is another key feature that is fairly common when shopping for an ergonomic office chair. All of our picks come with built-in lumbar support. But another factor to consider is breathability, which ties into materials. You’ll note that the majority of our recommendations feature a mesh-combination chair with a mesh backrest and a padded seat. This option allows for some of the best ventilation while still providing lumbar support and a comfortable seat. Still, you can find fully padded backrests or chairs made from leather, faux leather, or other fabric upholstery. Just keep in mind that those chairs may not be as breathable.
Of course, seat height is going to be an important issue — especially for shorter people. Picking the wrong seat height range could leave you working in a chair where your feet don’t touch the ground. We prioritized options that offered a lower seat adjustment range. This means that we looked for chairs that could be adjusted to heights of at least 18 inches or lower from the ground to the base of the seat.
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a smaller chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
What are the chair’s seat width and depth?
If you want to avoid constant discomfort, ensure that your chair isn’t too wide or too deep for your tiny body. Ideally, you’d wish the seat depth to be no more than 21-22″, and the shorter, the better.
What’s the chair’s seat height?
If you’re below 5,8”, then having a suitable seat height is a must. First, ensure your new office chair has an adjustable seat height to fit your petite body type. Ideally, you’d be looking for a chair that can go as low as 14 inches, or at least no more than 20”. However, if you don’t care whether your feet touch the floor or not, then you can go for any seat height.
Does the office chair have an ergonomic design?
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design for your height and helps you support a correct posture. Usually, such chairs feature adjustable lumbar support to help you feel more comfortable.
How much weight does it support?
While you can always buy a chair for kids to fit your shorter height, it doesn’t mean that the chair could support your weight. So it’s better to make sure the office chair you purchase is sturdy and durable.
Does the chair have a thick-padded cushion?
You might weigh less than taller people, but it’s still important to have a thick-padded cushion to sit on during your 8-hour workday. We also suggest opting for waterfall or curved seat cushions to decrease the pressure on your legs.
What type of backrest does the chair have?
Usually, you’ll come across mid-back petit office chairs as they’re more suitable for shorter people. However, some well-designed smaller office chairs can also have a high back and a headrest. So it’s really up to you and your preferences.
Is the chair compact?
If space is an issue for you, then you should opt for a chair with flip-up armrests or adjustable armrests. This feature will let you easily push it closer to the desk and make your home office look more spacious.
How adjustable is it?
If you have very particular preferences for your office chair and sitting arrangement, it’s better to choose a chair with as many adjustable features as possible, including seat depth and height, back height, tilt tension, etc.
What is it upholstered in?
Do you prefer a breathable mesh, textile, faux leather, or genuine leather petite office chair? This specification might affect the price, but it mostly depends on your preference and interior design requirements. As long as you ensure that the upholstery material is durable, you should be satisfied with your new office chair for short people.
Is the chair multifunctional?
If you like to use your office chair as a gaming chair or as an extra chair around the house, it’s always a good idea to go for a chair that can serve different purposes. This will save you from spending more money on buying other chairs.
The Benefits of an Office Chair for Short People
Choosing an ergonomic chair for short people isn’t always the same as selecting a regular office chair. Office chairs for a petite person offer some specific benefits than can greatly improve the overall comfort for short people and that’s why here we’ve listed some of the main pros that come with this kind of chairs:
- Wide range of adjustments: Ergonomic chairs for short people usually include a wide range of adjustments that allow the users to customize features such as the seat tilt or armrests height.
- Adjustable height: One of the most important benefits is the option to adjust the chair’s height. By adjusting the height, a short person can lower the chair as they see fit.
- Adjustable seat depth: Seat depth is often overlooked, however it is an essential part of your comfort because if the seat pan is too deep it might result in circulation problems for short people.
- Lumbar support: When talking about office chairs, lumbar support is always important as it allows you to keep a healthy posture when sitting.
- Armrests’ width: A petite person might find a chair’s armrests to be too far apart, resulting in an uncomfortable working experience. To solve the problem, some chairs let you adjust the armrests’ width.With officer workers who have petite bodies and they have to sit on working chairs for a long time, their circulatory systems will be interrupted. The most important thing about the circulatory system of humans is blood circulation and when it is poor, it will cause some problems with joint pain diseases.
Therefore, not only guarantee to have strong health but also maintain a long working regime, short people should equip themself with the best office chair for a short person.
By providing appropriate office chairs to employees, it will make them feel more comfortable to finish their jobs with the highest productivity. On the markets nowadays, they provide a variety of office chairs with exclusive patterns, colors, designs.
What is the best office chair for a short person?
The best office chair is going to be one with seat height adjustment that allows for customizing the seat height to within 18 inches from the floor to the seat. In our guide, we prioritized those types of chairs with a focus on chairs that offered even lower seat adjustments between 16 to 17 inches at their lowest settings. Our Top Pick, the Flash Furniture Mid-Back Ergonomic Office Chair is a great option that can be adjusted to as low as 17 inches.
What is the best office chair for sitting long hours?
If you’re going to be sitting for long periods, you’ll want a chair that offers a waterfall edge, as well as something that is well padded to provide additional comfort. From our guide, the Best Quality pick from Serta would be ideal since it’s a fully padded chair with a waterfall edge that’s designed to mimic the comfort and support you would get from a body pillow.
How do I know what office chair will fit?
You’ll want to look for a few key features when shopping for a new office chair. First, the backrest should be adjustable, with the ability to comfortably follow the shape of your spine. You should be able to adjust the seat height so that your feet rest flat on the floor. You should also be able to adjust the armrests so that you can work with relaxed shoulders. And your arm height should be able to match the height of your desk.
Are mesh office chairs better?
There are benefits and drawbacks to mesh office chairs. On the one hand, they’re one of the most breathable options, which can be important if you spend long periods sitting in a chair. But sometimes cheaper mesh-based chairs lack proper support and can lead to sagging over time. A good option is to pick a mesh combination seat with built-in lumbar support. A combination seat will usually feature a padded cushioned seat that’s either upholstered in mesh or fabric and a mesh backrest with the built-in lumbar support.
Best Chair for Short Person – Even with the end of enforced work-from-home restrictions in sight, workforce norms have changed forever amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Companies that used to mandate coming into an office, including Twitter, are now opening the door for permanent remote work options, giving employees a lot more control over their schedules, not to mention their home office setups.
For anyone under a certain height that never found comfort in their on-site office furnishings anyway, this is a great opportunity to invest in an office chair tailored to your needs. Let your feet touch the floor and experience true freedom with the best office chairs for a short person to enjoy.
Are you short in stature and finding it challenging to sit in your office chair or home office for long hours? Maybe your productivity, too, is getting affected, and you are losing out on those promotions.
Well, there is no need to fret or get all worked up. We have done the research to bring you some of the best office chairs for short people in this review. Once you are done reading, you can smile in relief that there is a solution for you, after all.
The main issue or problem with most offices or workplaces is that chairs are meant for average to all people. Hence, they do not feel the pressure or body ache when they sit down. Not to mention, they can even work for extended periods of time while you end up suffering in silence.
The office provides you with their so-called ergonomic chairs that hardly suit your body contour and shape. This leads to intense pain at the back and lower body. Apart from that, it can also give breed to new body aches and health problems.