Best Chair for Tall People – If you’re a taller individual, it can be difficult to find an office chair that is meant for your frame. If your chair isn’t adjusted for your height, your thigh may be overly exposed past the seat’s edge, or you might be hunched over to work on your desk.
Sitting in a chair that doesn’t have a tall backrest or proper height adjustments can lead to poor posture and decreased productivity.
We’ve created a complete guide on the best office chairs for tall people and what key features to look for when shopping for a chair.
In the middle of this pandemic, each one of us is spending most of our time sitting at a chair, staring at the screens. To maintain our efficiency, it is suggested to make a good investment in our equipment.
Don’t get confused; getting a comfortable office chair that suits your tall height will increase your productivity many folds and comfort your body.
All the chairs listed above are picked after thorough research, and you can choose any of them as per your preference. None will disappoint you.
1.Oak Hollow Aloria
Oak Hollow Furniture is famous for its range of executive chairs for tall people. This chair manufacturer is one of the rarest manufacturers manufacturing chairs and office furniture for individuals.
The USP of this chair is its exclusive leather seat fitted with super comfortable padding. The claims that genuine leather seat is far better than synthetic leather seats because genuine leather is free from chemicals.
This chair offers you a 4-D adjustable armrest and 2-D adjustable lumbar support. Apart from this, this chair comes with four locking positions. You can also adjust the resistance knob of the tilt Back mechanism.
A lifetime after-sales warranty backs oak Hollow Furnitures, and the manufacturer also offers a 5-year limited warranty for the leather seat.
The maximum weight that Oak Hollow High Back office chair for tall persons can hold is 300 lbs. Therefore, durability won’t be a concern for you, and that’s the reason why the company offers a lifetime warranty.
- 【Genuine Leather Seat】 - The Aloria Series ergonomic office chair by Oak Hollow Furniture comes equipped with an upgraded, soft and supple genuine cowhide leather seat. Why buy a cheap PU or bonded leather chair that may contain harsh chemicals or wear down quickly? This upgraded genuine leather seat design is meant to withstand years of use in a working or home-office environment. Invest in your health with a chair that is intended to last with quality materials and a better ergonomic design.
- 【Adjustability Options】 - We've outfitted the Aloria Series office chair with a host of adjustability features, including the 4-way adjustable armrests, a padded lumbar support cushion that can be adjusted up and down, a synchro tilt mechanism which allows for 4 different locking positions, a free-float unlocked setting, tilt tension adjustment for greater control of the backrest, and seat depth adjustment for front and back positioning. Find the perfect settings and make this chair your own!
- 【Perfect Fit】 - This ergonomic office chair is designed to fit the majority of users comfortably! Choose your perfect cylinder height - We provide 2 different pneumatic seat height options so the chair will accommodate most height ranges. Short or tall, it will work for you! Find your perfect height setting, tilt options, backrest tension, and seat position to optimize your comfort in the Aloria Series office chair. Recommended weight limit of 300 lbs., and a wide range of supported heights!
- 【Sleek and Professional Design】 - Enhance your work space with the Aloria Series office chair - whether you are building a business from home or spending long days on the job, an Aloria office chair is the perfect addition to your office setup. These chairs are perfect as executive and managers chairs, conference room chairs, task chairs, or employee chairs. Whatever the goal, this chair is designed to improve & enhance your office and work space experience with sleek design and comfortability.
- 【Trusted Products and Service】 - Have peace of mind knowing your purchase is covered under the manufacturer warranty - Oak Hollow Furniture provides a lifetime warranty on the components and a 5 year limited warranty on the leather. We use high density molded foam for the interior and only the highest quality materials for our line of chairs. We believe an office chair should be an investment into your health and well-being, and we stick to this philosophy with our line of products.
2.XUER Ergonomic Office Chair
As the name suggests, the XUER office chair comes with cozy lumbar support; the company claims this new lumbar support offers industry-level comfort to tall people.
The “Cozy” lumbar support works closely with the body’s posture and gravity that adjusts itself to offer the best comfort.
Apart from this, the XUER office chair comes with 3-D leather (PU) armrest and adjustable headrest that offers maximum satisfaction to individuals of different heights.
In this chair, you get a push-button to adjust the armrest as per your needs. The back and seat of this chair are made up of Mesh that offers a breathable environment to the body.
Though there is no information weight mentioned for this product, however, based on the reviews, we can assume that it can hold up to 300 lbs.
The tilt range of the XUER office chair varies from 99 – 119, and it comes with adjustable back tilting. On top of that, you’ll get a resistance knob to adjust how easy the tilt you want in your chair.
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
3.Steelcase Gesture Office Chair
If you are looking for a super durable yet stunning office chair, Steelcase Gesture Chair is the best option that you can get for your tall body.
This chair comes with a fully adjustable armrest, four position recline lock, and adjustable seat. This chair is designed to offer all-day comfortable sitting to its customers.
Though this chair looks very basic in terms of features, you have to trust us; this is a comfortable office chair for tall people.
The maximum weight that this great-looking Steelcase Gesture office chair can hold is 400 lbs and is backed by 12 years of manufacturer warranty.
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for hard flooring
- Ergonomic office chair - features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, adjustable lumbar, seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, wrapped upholstered back and seat, black/black frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality and durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
- Ships fully assembled; 12 year manufacturer warranty
Another very great looking yet effective office chair for tall people. This Bowery Fully Adjustable Management Office Chair looks very futuristic and minimal. It will suit you best if you look for something sober yet stylish.
This chair comes with a 6-D adjustable armrest and four reclining lock positions that offer maximum satisfaction to the body and help you maintain perfect body posture in long hours of sitting.
The back of this chair is our favorite. It gets adjusted as per the body shape and ergonomics to reduce maximum stress from the body. The maximum weight capacity of the Bowery Fully Adjustable Management Office Chair is 400 pounds, and it is backed with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Highly adjustable modern office chair designed for all day comfort
- Poly-cotton foam seat features a 5-position sliding seat adjustment for multiple seat depths
- Reclining lock feature provides 4 locking angles when you decide to sit back and kick your feet up
- 6-position adjustable height armrests
- 2-year warranty
5.Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Personalization is an important factor for tall people to consider when choosing a chair. The Herman Miller Aeron offers three size options to select from. Size C is the biggest and fits individuals up to 6’7″ tall and supports up to 350 pounds.
You can adjust many parts with this chair, such as seat height, lumbar support, backrest angle, tilt tension, and armrest. However, its main feature is the PostureFitSL technology, two adjustable pads positioned near the lumbar region. They flex separately from each other and can be adjusted to fit the curvature of your spine. It provides sufficient support to your lumbar and sacrum.
Temperature control also affects your comfort and productivity level. Herman Miller Aeron uses a special 8Z pellicle design mesh that allows air, moisture, and body heat to pass through, keeping users cool. Heat buildup can make sitting for long hours extremely uncomfortable.
You can also adjust the backrest into three different positions: full-recline, mid-recline and upright. If you’re someone who likes to take a quick nap in your office, this is an excellent feature for you. These adjustments also help to encourage more movement while sitting.
The only drawback to the Aeron chair for tall people is that it does not have a headrest, which could be troublesome for taller individuals who like to lean back in your chair.
Luckily there are third-party headrest options designed specifically for the Aeron, such as the Atlas Headrest, which are both comfortable and match the natural aesthetic of the Aeron chair.
- Size B
Although the Staples Hyken is a budget-friendly option, it still has plenty of adjustable features such as the recline angle, tilt tension, seat height, and armrest height. Users can set the recline angle to whichever angle suits their needs. While the tilt tension lets you adjust the amount the force needed to tilt the seat back.
Of course, seat height and armrest height are important to ensure your body is aligned with your work desk. This means having your chair so that your eyes are in line with the monitor screen and your arms are parallel with your desk.
The Hyken also uses a breathable mesh material which allows ventilation. This prevents sweaty-backs and having to get up when the seat gets too warm.
We also like a waterfall seat edge with this chair to help reduce the pressure placed under your thigh. Alleviating the tension in your body from prolonged sitting helps to improve circulation and focus. There’s also a headrest to support your neck and head, which helps to prevent slouching.
- Sold as 1 Each.
- BREATHABLE MESH MATERIAL: This high-back office chair has a mesh breathable back that offers a modern look while keeping you cool. Built for both form and function, the mesh upholstery allows air to circulate while providing enough support for your body.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Adjustable tilt tension and tilt lock let you find an ideal seating angle, and height adjustment options make it easy to find the proper configuration for your desk. Plus, each arm on this desk chair adjusts height for ultimate comfort.
- DIMENSIONS: This mesh task chair measures 24"L x 27"W x 46"H. Designed with sturdy carpet casters, this executive office chair can support up to 250 pounds over a full workday and easily roll across your office floor.
- WE ARE STAPLES: The line between work and life is blurring. We have solutions to keep your teams productive, connected and inspired. Whether you know exactly what you need, or you're looking for tools and inspiration to hit goals, Staples is here for you.
Choosing the Best Office Chair for Tall People – Buyer’s Guide
Now that you know our best office chairs in the market, it’s important to understand what features you’re looking for. For example, you may prefer a mesh chair rather than a fabric chair, or maybe you want an office chair with a headrest. All of these factors play a pivotal role in which office chair you ultimately choose.
Ergonomics can be defined as improving the efficiency of your work environment. For chairs, that means features that allow you to be more productive. This means ensuring a healthy posture, improving circulation, and adjusting your position to one that suits you. For example, using a memory foam cushion is ergonomic because it reduces your tailbone and spine pressure, allowing you to focus. The more pressure that builds up, the more uncomfortable you’ll feel.
We’ll cover the specific ergonomic features in-depth below. However, your office chair should contain plenty of adjustment controls such as armrest adjustments, seat height, depth, lumbar, headrest, and more. Most chairs we’ve chosen were crafted in a way to make working for long hours as comfortable as possible.
Most people only care about a chair’s aesthetics and features while totally disregarding its build quality. The quality of the chair often determined its durability. A chair’s build quality extends to all the components of a chair, including its base, seat cushion, fabric, armrests, and more. Cheaper chairs tend to use elements of plastic components in the base and armrests. Instead, look for chairs with a steel frame and aluminum alloy base since they are designed to last potentially over a decade.
Another aspect of building quality is the upholstery. No matter if you prefer leather, mesh, or fabric, they all have cheaper low-quality alternatives. For example, some chairs use cheap vinyl fabric to cut costs. They usually are prone to tears, have a cheap look to them, and feel a little rough on the skin. In contrast, polyester material is softer on the skin, abrasion-resistant, and very breathable. Even if mesh and leather material, the same applies. The NeueMesh used in the NeueChair uses a three-layered mesh fabric that has undergone multiple strength and abrasion resistance tests.
The padding is another factor for build-quality. The higher the foam density, the more it can hold up to weight and retain its shape. The best type of foam is high-resilience foam and memory foam.
Besides the quality in material and foam density, look for chairs where the manufacturers offer a long guaranteed warranty. For instance, Herman Miller and Steelcase offer a whopping 12-year warranty on their chairs, and Secretlab offers five years. Many low-quality chairs will only provide a one-year warranty. This demonstrates their lack of belief in their product.
As technology advances, chairs are adding unique features to their back support to prevent back pain. After reviewing hundreds of chairs, we’ve noticed a few distinct features that stand out.
Some backrests have flexibility at the top where they can bend. This forgiveness encourages more movement while sitting and improves your posture. Sitting back slightly reduces the pressure on your spine, and leaning back allows your upper back muscles to rest. Researchers have found that a 135-degree reclining angle puts the least amount of stress on your spine and drastically reduces the risk of back pain. That’s why any back support with recline can go a long way to preventing health problems.
Another aspect of a backrest is lumbar support. A lumbar cushion helps to promote healthy posture by supporting the curve of your spine. This keeps your back upright and prevents you from slumping forward.
You’ll also find that many premium office chairs have back support that contours to your movements. For example, the Steelcase Leap backrest changes shape as you move, and it will support your spine even when changing positions. Also, consider the material for your backrest. Mesh and fabric tend to be more breathable and allow for ventilation. In contrast, leather upholstery is prone to heat buildup, but more padding is used underneath the leather material for enhanced comfort.
The headrest can be a great ergonomic feature for your chair, but if it’s poorly fitted, it can lead to poor posture. Make sure that the headrest is adjustable to ensure that it can align with the cervical spine.
However, having a headrest can serve as an external cue to ensure you keep your head upright. Many people have a bad habit of sinking their head and neck forward, causing you to hunch over. This leads to strain in your neck and trapezius muscles.
Headrests also provide great support when resting. You can tilt your head back and take the pressure off of your neck and head, especially while taking breaks. This helps you to feel more rejuvenated and relaxes your muscles.
For tall people, the most important adjustments you’ll need are seat height and depth. They have a direct impact on your health and comfort level. Adequate seat height is important to ensure that you don’t have to flex your knees or extend your legs when seated. This will cut off circulation and increase the pressure on your hips and thighs. The ideal seat height is where your feet are firmly planted on the ground, and your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. If you have to extend your legs outward or flex your knees, the seat height is too low.
Another adjustment to consider is seat depth. Tall people need a greater seat depth because they have longer femur bones. If your seat is too shallow, most of your thighs will be unsupported, which puts stress on those areas of your legs. We recommend finding a chair with a seat depth of at least 19 inches.
Backrest height is important, especially if the chair comes with a headrest. Make sure that the neck support aligns with your head and cervical spine appropriately. Recline adjustments and tilting is also vital to help relieve pressure from your spine. It’s a misconception that sitting straight up 90 degrees is a healthy posture. However, this means you have to hold yourself up, which causes a lot of pressure on your spine. Sitting in a slightly reclined position lets the back of your chair support part of your body weight.
In addition, a backrest recline encourages micromovements preventing your back from becoming stiff after long periods of sitting. Also, having control of the tilt tension will ensure that you won’t rock back too easily. Make sure you also find a chair with built-in lumbar support that can be adjusted in height and depth to get a natural fit to your lower back.
Seat comfort is incredibly important for relieving pressure off areas such as your buttocks and legs. Furthermore, it means less compression on your hips, tailbone, and spine. It’s best to have a seat cushion that is both comfortable and supportive. Too much cushion without firm support can allow you to sink too deeply and negatively affect your posture. However, a hard seat can feel too rigid when sitting.
Consider the type of seat you’ll be sitting on. Keep in mind that leather chairs have more cushion, but the nature of leather can trap heat. Mesh materials can be flexible and supportive if made correctly and offer ventilation. Fabric chairs have the best of both worlds. Fabric chairs may include a soft cushion while also allowing air to pass through.
Some seats are designed with a waterfall edge to reduce the pressure placed under your thigh. Also, look for a flat seat instead of a bucket seat. Bucket seats give you less space to move around and aren’t ideal for bigger individuals.
If you’re a big and tall person, the weight capacity should factor into your decision. Nothing’s worse than finding out that your chair doesn’t support your weight. For example, the Staples Hyken task chair only can withstand up to 250 pounds, while the Steelcase Leap can support up to 400 pounds.
Heavy-duty chairs that have a higher weight limit typically use more durable material. This includes a wide steel or aluminum base with double reinforcements. The elements of the chair, such as the backrest, seat width, cushions, and wheel casters, are all bigger. Its seat cushion has a higher density to ensure the foam can withstand more weight without losing its shape. Always double-check the recommended weight limit before making your purchase.
It’s important to consider your budget when purchasing a chair. If you only have $300 to spend on an office chair, your options are limited compared to a higher budget. For a person that spends all-day sitting on a chair, it’s better to invest a little more money for a higher-quality chair to ensure its durability and ergonomics.
Premium chairs usually offer more adjustments and ergonomic features to prevent potential health problems. For people who have a history of back pain, getting a quality chair with adjustable lumbar support will save you money from seeing a chiropractor.
However, there are ‘value’ chairs that have incredible technology and features without spending astronomical prices. That’s why we did our best in researching the best ergonomic office chairs in all price ranges.
How Do We Define Tall?
First thing’s first- just how are we defining “tall” in this guide? Glad you asked.
“Tall” is obviously a subjective measurement. For the purpose of this guide, we consider anyone that is above the statistically average height for men in North America as tall. With the average height being 5’9”, as long as you’re 6 feet (182cm) or above, you’ve made our list.
Note that this guide is applicable to tall women as well if you’re 6 feet or above.
If you’re a taller individual, it can be difficult to find an office chair that is meant for your frame. If your chair isn’t adjusted for your height, your thigh may be overly exposed past the seat’s edge, or you might be hunched over to work on your desk.
Sitting in a chair that doesn’t have a tall backrest or proper height adjustments can lead to poor posture and decreased productivity.
We’ve created a complete guide on the best office chairs for tall people and what key features to look for when shopping for a chair.
Are you looking for the perfect chair for a big and tall user? Or maybe you’re sick of companies recommending chairs that don’t necessarily fit your body properly.
Relatively irregularly shaped chairs sure can hold your body but that’s all they do. For an office work environment productivity matters.
For some people, productivity may come naturally but it can sure turn out to be immense back pain if you are awkwardly seated.
Tall people especially are bound to have neck and body support including ample legroom to keep their bodies steady and eventually their mind focused.
If you have a desk-based job, whether that’s in the office or at home, you’ll end up spending many hours a day sitting in a chair.
But what if you’re taller than average but are squeezed into a chair designed for someone smaller than you?
If you’ve ever noticed aches and pains after a long day at your desk or feel that your posture could be improved, the chances are that your chair is to blame.
This means it’s time to investigate office chairs for tall people that give you the support and comfort you deserve.
We’ve made it easy by giving you all the information you need to understand what counts as taller than average, the office chair issues that affect tall people including posture, what to look for in an office chair and where to find the best office chairs for tall people.
Read on to find out everything you need to know to select a supportive chair designed for your unique needs.
MOST IMPORTANT OFFICE CHAIR CONSIDERATIONS FOR TALL PEOPLE
The key to finding the best tall person’s office chair is to look for one that’s adjustable to fit your unique dimensions. This is what is known as an ergonomic chair – a chair that’s suitable for a variety of different heights and body shapes. An ergonomic office chair for a tall person will be adjustable at several points. Here’s how:
- You will need to customise your seat height first by standing a little in front of the chair and adjusting the height until the seat pan reaches just below your knees.
- Then you should sit in the chair with your back well supported and your feet flat on the floor with your knees at 90 degrees before adjusting the seat cylinder (which moves the seat up and down) to the right height. For tall people, your office chair height should be at least 51 centimetres or 20 inches to be comfortable.
- Being able to adjust the back tilt is also important for comfort, so look for a chair that allows you to tilt the back to a position that supports the natural shape of your spine.
- Some desk chairs for large people come with a headrest, which provides support to your head and neck. It should be adjusted so that your eyes are level with your monitor, which will eliminate strain and make working comfortable.
- For extra comfort, look for a chair with an adjustable seat pan depth so you can slide the pan backwards or forwards. Taller folk will need to adjust the pan further from the back for adequate support and comfort. Leave a gap equivalent to your clenched fist between the front edge of the seat cushion and the back of your knees when you are sitting down.
- Next look for lumbar support right at the small of your back that supports the natural curve of your spine. It’s important to be able to adjust this to your requirements, and you can also look for air lumbar bags that go over and above to offer you the comfort you need.
- Height adjustable armrests are an important consideration when you’re choosing an office chair. You should be able to adjust the height so that your arms are in a comfortable position at your side. This will reduce pressure on your shoulders and upper back. Some ergonomic chairs will also feature depth adjustable armrests or armrests that can be flipped up or down to offer an armrest-free option.
Finally, don’t forget the castors! Look for chairs with a strong base that offers five castors to give you the support you need. The castors will make it easy for you to get the chair at the right distance to your desk and will also offer stability if you are inclined to tip your chair back as you work.
Best Chair for Tall People – As a tall person, you’re probably used to sitting in office chairs with your knees flexed or a good portion of your thighs exposed past the seat’s edge. And while this may simply look awkward more than anything else, there are real health and productivity issues that can arise from bein in this anatomically incorrect position for hours every day.
In this comprehensive guide we look at the key things you need to be mindful of as a tall person when picking out an office chair, plus our picks for the best chairs for tall people currently on the market.
Tall people require more adjustability than an average-sized person. Because of their long limbs and size, your chair must be able to accommodate your specific body type.
If you noticed, many of our office chairs listed have plenty of ergonomic and adjustable features to relieve pressure in your body and prevent health problems. Getting a high-quality chair will save you a ton of stress and increase your productivity. We hope you’ve found our comprehensive guide helpful in your quest to find a suitable office chair!