Best Chair for Upper Back Pain – When it comes to a chair’s backrest, there are two main qualities that help to ease pain, and oddly enough, they’re opposites: ample back support or none at all. “Additional support in an ergonomic high back chair helps reinforce the normal kyphotic curve of the thoracic spine. By mimicking the natural curvature of your back, you will be able to sit longer with better posture,” Dr. Conrad wrote in an email to Bustle. On the other hand, a chair with no backrest at all may also help, assuming it’s designed to activate your spine and core. According to Dr. Conrad, active sitting (like with kneeling chairs and exercise balls) “can help your body use its muscles to strengthen your posture, as your muscles have to work harder to keep you sitting up straight.” Dr. Conrad does point out, though, that active-sitting chairs “are not recommended for people who already have back pain or degenerative arthritis, as there is already additional pressure on these areas.”
The materials your chair is made from are also important, and this one applies to both the backrest and the seat of the chair. Many best-selling options utilize a mesh fabric or structured cushioning for the backrest, as to promote comfort while simultaneously giving your back some ergonomic support. The seat, on the other hand, is typically made from softer foam or padding, but it shouldn’t be too soft: According to Dr. Conrad: “Firmer and more compact materials for an ergonomic chair help reinforce the spinal curvature. A softer material may feel comfortable in the beginning, but all chair materials will sag and wear down over time.”
1.Hегman Millег Mirra 2
If you work long hours at a desk every day, it’s worth investing in an ergonomic chair for back pain that will support your body properly. And our top recommendation is the Herman Miller Mirra 2.
Yes, it’s expensive. But as you’d expect from a Herman Miller chair, it’s fantastically comfortable. And it provides the best back support for office chair users we know of. The butterfly-shaped backrest responds effortlessly to your movements, making your spine feel cradled and supported, and preventing you from slumping or slouching.
The mesh is lovely and breathable, so you can stay cool on warm days. The chair offers excellent lumbar support, which can be adjusted for height, and the arms are fully adjustable too. The seat cushion distributes your weight beautifully, and it takes the largest maximum load (159kg / 350kg) of all the chairs on this list.
In short, this is the best chair for back pain that money can buy, bar none. For more Herman Miller options, see our dedicated guide to the best Herman Miller chairs and our Herman Miller Mirra 2 vs Aeron showdown.
- Features: tilt limiter with seat angle adjustment, adjustable FlexFront seat, adjustable arms, AirWeave 2 woven suspension seat, and carpet casters. Seat Depth- 16.25-18 Inches
- Lightweight design, offering a combination of simplicity, flexibility, and personalized ergonomics
- The Butterfly back combines the comfort of upholstery with the strength of polymer to provide back support; Fixed Seat Depth
- Recommended for people who need to quickly flex between individual activities and group work
- Shipped Partially assembled
- Renewed and Refurbished by OfficeLogix
Concerned about your back but don’t have enough funds for the first two chairs on our list? Here’s the best office chair for back pain at a budget price.
This stylish chair has loads of aesthetic appeal. And it compares favourably with many pricier models in terms of functionality as well as looks. The highlights here are the mesh back, which is very breathable, and the good level of lumbar support.
It’s also very adjustable: you can tweak the back support, headrest, armrests, height and tilt of the chair until you get your posture just right. It all adds up to excellent lower back support for office chair users.
On close examination, the level of finish is not up to the standard of more expensive designer chairs, which is to be expected. But in general, it looks the part, and provides an excellent level of comfort and protection given the reasonable price.
- ★【Multiple Adjustments】5 ergonomic adjustabilities of this computer chair help you to find the most comfortable seating position for a long term sitting. Adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, and tilt adjustment plus height adjustable armrests. This executive swivel chair provide you a customized seating experience.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Back】The premium backrest features flexible mesh fabric without pattern, which gives you a cool feeling and comfortable sitting experience, promotes good air flow, eliminates sweating and moisture, to keep you focus and relax at the same time.
- ★【Well Padded Seat】W-shaped design for the seat ensures you sit centrally .The front edge of the seat has a waterfall front, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed.
- ★【High Quality & Easy Assembly】The surface of the arms is made of PU, a flexible plastic. This home office chair has passed the BIFMA test and the static pressure test of 1136 kg. Our ergonomic office chair can support a weight of up to 150 kg. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps.
- ★【Three Years Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within three years warranty period.
You may have noticed that the HÅG Capisco looks a little different from the other chairs on this list. That’s because it’s a saddle chair, which allows you to sit as if you are saddling a horse. This is widely believed to be the best kind of chair for countering and preventing back pain, based on reports like this Cardiff University study.
Saddle chairs are most popular amongst medical professionals, but their use has recently spread to other types of workplace. They’re especially good for use with standing desks. The HÅG Capisco has a wider saddle. The HÅGCapisco Puls has a firmer, narrower saddle that allows you to sit with your legs closer together. Popular podcaster Joe Rogan is among the advocates of the HÅG Capisco Puls 8010, and we can understand why.
Providing good lumbar and lower back support, it’s very comfortable in use and it’s very adjustable too. The seat tilts, with a tilt lock, and you can tweak its height and depth too, from a low sitting position to a sit-stand position. Plus, from an aesthetic point of view, this radical and minimalist Scandinavian design will certainly put your home office setup on the cutting edge of cool.
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE: Seat height, seat depth, back height and back tilt allows for maximum healthy sitting positioning with a maximum weight of 250 pounds
- COMES WITH: 10.4" lift height and 5 star base with breaking casters suitable for both hardwood and low-pile carpet; Add On a Capisco Footring to rest your feet - see below or search Amazon for "Capisco Footring"
- ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY: Made from 50% recycled material and is 90% recyclable
If you suffer from back problems, you may often spend hours fiddling with your chair, in a vain attempt to hit that perfect sweet spot. If that sounds like you, we recommend the Humanscale Freedom. That’s because automatically adjusts to the shape of your body, in a way that other chairs just can’t match.
The clever thing about this design is that the flexible backrest tilts as you move; so if you lean back, it moves with your spine rather than pressing against it. That way, the chair supports your spine naturally, without you having to make any manual adjustments.
On the whole, this is an expensive chair, but it’s one of the best office chairs for back pain around, with superb attention to detail and high-quality materials, so you are getting value for money. And that backrest pivoting function; well, that’s quite unique and something you just won’t find elsewhere.
- Adjustable Arms
- Back Height Adjustment
- Hard Casters
- Pneumatic Lift Adjusts the Height of the Chair
- Adjustable Seat Depth
5.ComHoma Office Chair
Are you very short of cash? Don’t worry: for quite a small amount you can still get a chair that’s going to be kind to your spine. The Conhoma Office Desk Chair is a fairly basic chair, lacking the advanced features of the pricier models on our list. The only adjustments you can make are to seat height and tilt, as well as being able to position the armrests up or down.
However, the mesh back and thick padded seat cushion will keep you comfortable throughout the working day, and both offer great breathability too. Plus the overall design is ergonomic and provides good support for your spine. That’s pretty much it, but for such a low price, that’s still pretty impressive.
- Exquisite Design: Classic color and simple design add stylish accent to your workplace. This office chair has a modern look and is a perfect match to any space: your study, office or a conference room.
- Flip up Armrests: The office chair comes with adjustable armrests which can be flipped up or down. It can fit nicely under the desk and save space; or provide comfort when you feel like to rest your arms.
- Extra Comfort: Ergonomic design promotes a good sitting posture to avoid stress on the back. Breathable mesh material keeps you comfy all day long. Thick padded seat cushion provides all day comfort.
- Multi Function: Pneumatic seat height adjustment; Tilt lock function(angle adjustable); 360 degree swivel; Solid rolling casters for smooth movement.
- Easy to Assemble: No additional tools needed. For your convenience, all screws have extra backups. Simple instructions with pictures enable anyone to put this office chair together.
On a budget? No problem. While the AmazonBasics swivel chair doesn’t have all of the features, it definitely offers some of the most important ones at a great price. It has a contoured backrest made of mesh as well as a 2-inch padded seat, plus it swivels, raises, lowers, and rolls. For just over $60, it’s a definite upgrade from that folding chair, especially considering it has thousands of five-star reviews. Height of backrest: approximately 15 inches
Backrest material: mesh, Seat material: padding, Adjustability: 15- to 20-inch seat height, 360-degree swivel, Maximum weight capacity: approximately 250 pounds
Available colors: black, blue, green, red
“So far this chair is excellent. Nice and thick cushion on the bottom and good back support. It only has height adjustment and is very basic, but it feels well made and it is comfortable.”
- Comfortable task and computer chair with black contoured mesh back for support and breathability
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; 2-inch-thick padded seat for added comfort
- 275-pound maximum weight capacity
- BIFMA Certified
- Chair Dimensions: 20.47*20.08*32.87-37.4 inches (WxDxH)
What Could Be Causing Your Upper Back Pain?
Other than acquiring a chair for upper back pain, most importantly, you need to understand what causes back pains. You need to investigate the specific reason why you have a painful back. Once the cause is clear, you are better positioned to choose a chair that addresses the problem rightly.
Here are the causes of upper back pain:
Bad Sitting Position
Prolonged sitting requires a comfortable posture to avoid straining the body and spinal cord. A bad posture is a known recipe for many health challenges, including back pains. Even worse, using a standard chair for hours on end may worsen the scenario.
A lousy posture exerts pressure on your back, and the spinal cord bears the weight and may quickly become painful.
There are frequent strains that cause back pains. These include;
- Muscle spasm
- Strained muscles muscle tension
- Damaged disks
Basically, the common causes of a strain include lifting heavy objects, making abrupt movements, and improper lifting of objects among other causes.
Several structural factors cause back pains.
These include a ruptured disk, bulging disk, sciatica, arthritis, abnormal curvature of the spine, and Osteoporosis, among others.
There are various factors associated with high chances of developing back pain. These are:
- older age
- obesity and excess weight
- genetic factors
- strenuous work
- medical conditions
- poor physical fitness
Moreover, back pain is also common in women and men. This is greatly attributed to hormonal chemistry and mood swings as a result of stress and anxiety.
More? Read this awesome ultimate recliner guide for lower back pain.
What Are The Benefits Of An Office Chair With Upper Back Support?
As seen above, there are various causes of upper back pain. So how do we alleviate the problem?
Well, the answer lies in investing in a chair that supports the upper back. This is because their features aim at getting the upper back pain gone.
Here are some of the benefits of an office chair with upper back support.
Firstly and most importantly, the upper back support office chair is meant for posture improvement. The Ergonomics companies come up with chair designs that alleviate upper back pain altogether.
They usually design those desk chairs with your size in mind in order to give you a comfortable sitting posture. Moreover, these chairs come with adjustable features so you can modify your chair to your comfort needs.
When you work in a comfortable chair, your performance definitely improves. This is because of improved concentration. Undoubtedly, upper back pains would distract you from performing your tasks due to the disturbing discomfort.
Luckily, the solution lies with a desk office chair with upper back support. Its adjustable height and breathability relieve pressure from your spinal cord. Consequently, there is no upper back pain, and, therefore, much concentration is geared towards job performance.
It Improves Blood Circulation
Blood circulation prevents mobility and flexibility issues. However, ordinary chairs don’t take into consideration the issue of blood flow.
Fortunately, the office chair upper back support addresses this issue thanks to its ergonomic features. Ergonomic chairs are made to improve your blood circulation through your whole body. This improves the general feeling of well-being and boosts energy levels.
The Pros And Cons Of Using Chairs For Upper Back Pain
Other things which have pros and cons, and so are the ergonomic chairs. So, if you examine its features and characteristics objectively, you can finally end up with a chair that meets your needs.
- Work performance is enhanced, as well as job productivity and creativity.
- Choosing a chair that fits your body characteristics isn’t a problem because it can be adjusted to your needs.
- Modern in design and available in various styles and colors and their products are ideal for office aesthetics.
- Typically, ergonomic chairs require assembling and frequent adjustments. So if you dislike that and you might not enjoy them.
- Compared to standard chairs, these are more expensive because of their many features.
How To Choose A Chair That Will Relieve Upper Back Pain ( Buyers Guide)
Does your job involve prolonged sitting? Then you need a high-quality chair with comfortable back and neck support so as to avoid upper back problems.
Here are some tips on choosing the appropriate upper back pain chair.
Choose A Seat With Adjustable Height
The height of your chair ought to allow your legs to touch the floor at 90 degrees. To ace this rule, many ergonomic chair manufacturers make the height adjustable so that you can modify it to suit your needs.
Additionally, a chair that is too high would exert excess pressure on the knees. On the other hand, if a chair is too short, then the pressure comes to your thighs. However, the trick is to get a chair that can adjust to different heights.
Nevertheless, if you’re extremely short, be sure to engage a footstool to rest your feet comfortably. This goes a long way in alleviating back pains, certainly.
Choose A Chair With The Right Seat Depth
The seat’s depth is essential in allowing your buttocks to move freely and for the knees to bend naturally.
Importantly, an ergonomic chair should feature a comfortable material, usually strong towards the back where most bodyweight lies.
Also, the chair seat pad must match the body shape and be spacious enough to fit your bottom.
Lastly, a chair with appropriate seat depth can significantly reduce back injury, ease muscle strains and boost energy levels for increased job performance.
Consider The Chair Backrest
The best office chair for upper back and neck pain should be supportive and comfortable. The backrest should be adjustable to accommodate both short and tall people.
Moreover, it should be able to be pushed forward or backward so you can find a perfectly comfortable position.
Choose A Chair With Proper Armrests
Most importantly, a good ergonomic chair should have armrests.
Therefore, when looking for a chair that addresses your upper back pain, be sure to choose one with armrests. Then, the armrests need to be adjustable to fit your body and height.
In addition, to find a comfortable position for your arms, be sure to rest your elbows at 90 degrees and your wrist at the same level as your desk.
Is An Upper Back Support In An Office Chair Helpful?
The answer is a resounding ‘Yes!’. Indeed, upper back support is most helpful in a chair. It prevents unnecessary movements that can damage the back by removing unnecessary weight from your spine and intervertebral discs.
The upper back support cushion aligns your spine and strengthens your muscles. This leads to healing and consequently relief from upper back pains.
What’s the conclusion of the matter, therefore? While the best office chair for upper back pain may help deal with upper back pain, they wouldn’t do the job for you entirely. So, you have a responsibility to adopt an appropriate sitting posture so as to achieve optimal results.
Coupled with a great choice of a desk chair, I’m sure this review will help you deal with your upper back pain and spine issues once and for all.
“In the age of technology, we spend so much time sitting at our computers, and our bodies cannot maintain good posture for hours without fatiguing,” explains Dr Amy Hoover, a physiotherapist at workouts company P.volve.
“A chair that allows your lower back to maintain a good neutral position, supporting the natural curve in the lower back, can alleviate stress on the spine and improve the alignment of your spine all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst, a physiotherapist specialising in back pain and a specialist in Pilates, agrees. “The right chair set up is essential, not only to support the natural curves of the spine but also the shoulders,” she notes. “Arm rests are really useful for someone who suffers neck and mid spine pain. Lumbar support is also very useful. An adjustable seat plate, back rest and arms will allow the user to adapt the chair to their specific posture.”
It’s especially important to replace an ageing chair, says James Crow, owner of Posture Stars, a website promoting good posture. “If your chair has been around for more than a decade it’s probably time to upgrade,” he explains. “The materials wear down over time, with seat padding especially taking a beating.
“The best office chair for back pain is one that’s highly adjustable, so you can get the back to support you in a meaningful way. Invest wisely: we wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or car, but many of us are spending eight to 10 hours a day perched on a ‘value’ chair.”
Note that the chairs above give you a great chance of avoiding back problems in the future. If you’re experiencing pain already, make sure you visit your doctor or chiropractor, as there may be underlying issues besides your chair.
- Lumbar support
- Adjustable armrests
- Seat-depth adjustability
- Recline and tilt
What is lumbar support?
How do you sit properly in a chair?
Buying an ergonomic chair will improve your posture and avoid unnecessary suffering in the long term. The best office chairs for back pain allow your lower back to stay in a neutral position by supporting its natural curve, alleviating stress on the spine. They also offer adjustable height to ensure your feet are grounded without changing the position of your back. If you have specific questions about what to look for in a chair, use the quick links below to find the answers.
Below you’ll find a full guide to the best office chairs for back pain overall, highlighting the models we believe are the best chairs for long hours. For pointers on what to look for, be sure to see the section on choosing a chair at the bottom of this article. Looking to help your poor back even more? You might also want to see our guide to the best standing desks, which can also be good for your posture. And if you’re just looking for one of the best office chairs (not specifically for helping posture), we’ve got you covered there too.
Best Chair for Upper Back Pain – First and foremost, we all know that sitting for prolonged periods can lead to various health problems. One such pr oblem is back pain. Sitting in an office chair for too long can result in bad posture, which may cause severe upper back pain.
Moreover, the best office chair for upper back pain is the one that provides the most support for your spine. Some features to look out for are good lumbar support, adjustable armrests, and a tilt tension control. Additionally, you should make sure that you can adjust the chair’s height so as to fit your comfort needs.
Last but not least, consider the chair’s height and angles. “Some may say adjustable settings are the most important part of a chair,” Dr. Conrad wrote. “The goal is to get your line of sight with the middle of the computer screen. Various settings like height adjustment, swivel, and angle settings can help fit the chair specifically to your height and body type.” If you can change the height, the angle of the backrest, and the tilt of the seat, you’ll be much more capable of achieving the aforementioned posture.
In this review, I’ll guide you into a great chair. Moreover, you will get a guide on how to acquire a chair that is fit for your upper back pain.