Best Computer Chair for Big Guys – Bigger guys and girls usually have the toughest time finding a good chair or sofa to sit on. Finding a comfortable office chair that is tough enough to handle a lot of weight is even harder. If you are tired of feeling all sore from your chair or if you need a chair that can handle your weight and size then you have come to the right place. In this handy guide, we are having a look at the best office chair for heavy persons to get now.
If we were to define comfortable office chairs with one word, the word would be “invaluable”. In fact, this is especially true if you have a few extra pounds under your belt. No matter if you need to work on your income taxes, give the finishing touches to that corporate report, or even evaluate your student’s coursework, something is clear: a comfy, ergonomic office chair specifically made for heavy folks is paramount in order to do those tasks efficiently!
That’s why I decided to write this article. I decided to find the very best office chairs for heavier folks like me. I also talk about why they are the best ones, with detailed information about pricing, ergonomics, weight capability, and style, among other things. If you are looking to spend your hard earned money on an office chair that will feel comfortable to sit for hours on end, then this is the article for you!
1.XUER Ergonomic Office Chair
When selecting our favorite big and tall office chairs, we were looking for those that were sufficiently sized to accommodate larger users, provided plenty of comfort in terms of seating, back and armrests, and adjustable features, and were strong and durable enough to support taller users.
With that in mind, it should come as no surprise to learn that the XEUR Ergonomic Office Chair topped the chart for best tall-person friendly office chair of the year as it scored the highest marks in all of those categories, and then scored extra marks for looks, ergonomics, and superior seating quality.
First of all, there’s the size factor.
From the tip of the floor to the top of the headrest, the whole chair can extend to as tall as 62″ with an adjustable floor-seat height of between 18.5″ – 21.65″. Add in a seat width of 19.9″ and an adjustable seat depth of between 16.14″ and 17.71″ and what you’ve got here is a chair that’s very suited to those of a larger frame.
Take the seat, for example. The dipped, curved design with waterfall edge relieves pressure on the back of your legs which improves overall circulation to help you maintain focus and energy throughout your day, while the breathable mesh design ensures proper airflow to keep you cool and comfortable.
That mesh is extended to the backrest, where you’ll find enhanced lumbar support and 99° – 119° adjustability so that you can find the perfect position to suit you.
Elsewhere, the PU leather armrests can be adjusted in three directions (up-down, left-right, back-forth), and while there are those that do offer four-directional adjustability, it really isn’t a deal-breaker when you consider how comfortable this one feels after all-day use.
Finally, we should point out that the XEUR Ergonomic Office Chair also proved excellent in terms of durability, with the manufacturer’s maximum weight capacity of 300 lbs that means it’s going to provide exceptional support for a long time to come.
Pros & Cons
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
2.Oak Hollow Aloria
The one thing we love about the Oak Hollow Aloria more than anything else is the flexibility and a sheer number of variations and customizable options.
The Oak Hollow brand offer this popular chair with a choice of leather, fabric, or mesh seats, with or without the headrest, and with your choice of supporting base, not to mention three separate colors.
This means you can pick and choose components to pick a model that delivers all of Aloria’s trademark comfort, strength, and high-caliber ergonomics with important finishes tailored to suit your tastes and seating preferences.
Ultimately though, it was the version with the soft, fabric seat, mesh back, and attachable, adjustable headrest that earned the Oak Hollow Aloria a place on our list simply because those three components deliver the best of all worlds.
That seat is made from a thick, high-density molded foam which provides the kind of soft seating you can sink into while still feeling well-supported. It’s finished with a high-performance fabric for maximum protection against rips and stains.
Meanwhile, the mesh seat amplifies that comfort level when putting in those long sessions at the office.
Then there’s the adjustability factor: 4-D adjustable armrests, a synchro-tilt mechanism on the backrest that locks in four different comfortable positions (as well as offering an unlocked setting for those days if you prefer a chair that moves with you), and ample seat-depth adjustment.
User reviews from people 6’4″ – 6’6″ tall and above report that this chair more than meets their needs, confirming our own verdict that this is undoubtedly a quality chair that should be on any tall person’s radar.
Pros & Cons
- 【Genuine Leather Seat】 - The Aloria Series ergonomic office chair by Oak Hollow Furniture comes equipped with an upgraded, soft and supple genuine cowhide leather seat. Why buy a cheap PU or bonded leather chair that may contain harsh chemicals or wear down quickly? This upgraded genuine leather seat design is meant to withstand years of use in a working or home-office environment. Invest in your health with a chair that is intended to last with quality materials and a better ergonomic design.
- 【Adjustability Options】 - We've outfitted the Aloria Series office chair with a host of adjustability features, including the 4-way adjustable armrests, a padded lumbar support cushion that can be adjusted up and down, a synchro tilt mechanism which allows for 4 different locking positions, a free-float unlocked setting, tilt tension adjustment for greater control of the backrest, and seat depth adjustment for front and back positioning. Find the perfect settings and make this chair your own!
- 【Perfect Fit】 - This ergonomic office chair is designed to fit the majority of users comfortably! Choose your perfect cylinder height - We provide 2 different pneumatic seat height options so the chair will accommodate most height ranges. Short or tall, it will work for you! Find your perfect height setting, tilt options, backrest tension, and seat position to optimize your comfort in the Aloria Series office chair. Recommended weight limit of 300 lbs., and a wide range of supported heights!
- 【Sleek and Professional Design】 - Enhance your work space with the Aloria Series office chair - whether you are building a business from home or spending long days on the job, an Aloria office chair is the perfect addition to your office setup. These chairs are perfect as executive and managers chairs, conference room chairs, task chairs, or employee chairs. Whatever the goal, this chair is designed to improve & enhance your office and work space experience with sleek design and comfortability.
- 【Trusted Products and Service】 - Have peace of mind knowing your purchase is covered under the manufacturer warranty - Oak Hollow Furniture provides a lifetime warranty on the components and a 5 year limited warranty on the leather. We use high density molded foam for the interior and only the highest quality materials for our line of chairs. We believe an office chair should be an investment into your health and well-being, and we stick to this philosophy with our line of products.
3.Steelcase Gesture Chair
Strong, smart, and effortlessly stylish, the popular Steelcase Gesture has proven to be one of the best-selling office chairs of all time thanks to its superior comfort and unbeatable durability, boasting a maximum weight capacity of 400 lbs.
That weight capacity, along with three different seat height positions ranging from 14.5″ up to 22.5″, a substantial 20″ wide seat, and an adjustable seat depth of 15.75 – 18.5″ all help make the Gesture an essential addition to any list of the best office chairs for tall people. Still, as you might imagine, there’s much more to this excellent chair than simply the ability to accommodate larger users.
The proprietary seat cushion itself is both a work of art and a feat of engineering, utilizing built-in air pockets which adjust and adapt to your body to minimize the kind of pressure that can gradually build up over the course of all-day use.
The backrest is something special, with a contoured design that helps keep your back in its natural, S-shaped alignment to reduce back pain, while the adjustable 4-D armrests can likewise help prevent sore, tired shoulders.
If you’re looking for a good chair for eliminating neck pain while you work, you can also opt to add on an adjustable headrest for extra support.
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
Fans of the Ticova Ergonomic Office Chair heap praise on its innovative design, with a cool, curved backrest and headrest which promotes proper posture while also responding to movements, meaning no matter what tasks you’re taking on at your desk, you’ll always be well-supported.
It’s for this reason, along with the high-elastic breathable mesh and larger-than-average armrests with a concave design, that we felt compelled to include the Ticova when deciding on the best ergonomic office chairs, and it seems we’re certainly not alone in that opinion.
Those who own a Ticova insist that its ample cushioning and game-changing lumbar support make it a great choice for users with health conditions such as arthritis and sciatica, while taller users 6’2″ and above say it’s a great alternative for those who like models such as the Herman Miller Embody but need a greater range of seat and height adjustability to support their frame.
Pros & Cons
- 【Adjustable Mesh Chair】You can adjust lumbar support height and depth; headrest height and angle; armrest height, angle, forward & backward; seat cushion height; tilting angle up to 130°and rocking resilience to your personal most comfortable position
- 【Ergonomic Backrest & Seat】Our adjustable backrest can perfectly fit your spine and significantly ease the fatigue and pain of your back. Also, our seat is made of 3 inches high density foam with W-shaped and waterfall-edge design, providing larger support area and disperse pressure on hip and thighs
- 【Unique Metal Armrest】Compared with all other ergonomic desk chairs' plastic 1D armrest, our stainless electroplating metal 3D armrests with bigger, thicker & softer PU paddings are much more durable and best fit to your favorite position
- 【Unique Headrest & Quality Mesh】Our home office chairs' big curved foam headrest provides more comfortable neck and head support. Plus, our breathable mesh with strong tensile strength provides cool and comfortable back support, enabling long hours sitting relaxed without sweat
- 【Warranty】We provide 30 days money-back guarantee, one year warranty and professional after sales service for our ergonomic office chair. If there is any quality problem, please contact us and we will provide 100% satisfied solution. Our ergonomic computer chair has comprehensive packaging and clear instruction, enables everyone to assemble easily without damage worry. Our high back office chair passed BIFMA test and 1136 kg static pressure test
5.Bowthy Big and Tall Office Chair
Unlike the other chairs on this list, which feature mesh materials and separate headrest attachments, the Bowthy is an executive style chair with big and tall attributes.
So, while the Bowthy can easily accommodate users up to 6’5″ tall, it also has a high weight capacity of up to 400 lbs. If you want a big, cozy chair and don’t mind the look or feel of PU leather (common on many mid-range executive style chairs), then this one is worth checking out.
Reviews of the Bowthy are overwhelmingly positive. What we find most appealing, aside from its generous seating proportions, is the combination of ergonomic design elements that add even more comfort and support than we see with many typical oversized chair models.
For example, with features like built-in adjustable lumbar support and a breathable recessed backrest, the Bowthy delivers a surprising level of comfort and support for your back. You’ll have a harder time just sinking and letting your poor posture take over with this one.
Plus, it comes with a very thick headrest to keep your upper back, neck, and head supported when working. If you’re tall, you know this type of upper body support matters.
The Bowthy is built with a sturdy metal base and basic mobility and adjustability features like height adjustment, tilt tension and lock (with a rocking range of 90° – 120°), and 360° swivel casters.
While we do find this to be a comfortable and supportive model for taller users, the Bowthy does lack a few key design elements.
For example, the armrest and headrest are fixed, so you won’t be able to make those subtle but important tweaks to find the absolute perfect sitting position. Also, the seat is not depth adjustable, which can really help if you have long legs.
All in all, however, we found that the comfort factor on this one easily makes up for these flaws.
Pros & Cons
- 【Higher Back & Wider Seat】 With a back height of 29.1" and a seat width of 23.2", our big and tall office chair is higher and wider than other office chairs, which can hold all body types, especially perfect for larger and taller users.
- 【Weight Capacity: 400lbs】 SGS level 4 gas lift cylinder and extra-sturdy steel base are adopted in the heavy duty office chair to ensure weight capacity and stability. Meanwhile, 360 degree swivel with smooth casters make 400lb office chair easy to move.
- 【Adjustable Lumbar Support】 Superior PU leather combined with high density foam, the large leather office chair can provide you with all around support. Moreover, lumbar support can be adjusted according to your demand.
- 【Easy to Assemble】 Detailed instructions and installation tools are included. Generally, with the help of instructions, you can complete the assembly of the high back office chair within 20 minutes.
- 【100% Service Guarantee】 We are committed to providing best executive office chairs and services to our customers. For your satisfaction, we provide 30 days returns and refunds guarantee and 12 months parts warranty. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, we will get back to you within 24 hours.
6.HON Wave Chair
The HON Wave Big and Tall Executive chair comes in as top pick because of it’s amazing combination of comfort, durability, and price.
If you’re not a fan of leather-like office chairs, this big and tall mesh office chair is a great choice for you. The light breathable material will feel nice on your back and prevent it from sweating.
The chair features a robust 450 lb weight capacity, which is ideal for bigger and taller people. You can also enjoy all the ergonomic features the HON office chair provides. It has adjustable reclining and armrests as well as customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment. In short, this chair will take good care of your posture during workdays.
Thanks to the five-star resin base and durable wheels, this high back office chair will become one of your favorite office items. Plus, you’ll also get a HON 5-year Limited Warranty. So, you can be safe in case something goes wrong with your chair.
The HON big and tall executive chair will easily adapt to your body and be your best office friend for years.
Pros & Cons
- Made of Metal, Mesh & Leather | Easy assembly required
- Chair dimensions – 25.63" D x 30.25" W x 42.88" H | Seat dimensions – 19” D x 22” W | Arm adjustment – 21” W x 3”-9” H | Back width – 23” | Weight capacity – 450 lbs. | Unit weight – 59 lbs. | Lumbar support fixed
- Give your neck and back a break; these adjustable-height and width arms move up and down, and toward and away from the body to adapt to your body
- Let this comfortable office chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline, customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment
- Pull up to your computer desk, swivel around to collaborate with your teammate, or wheel over to the snack area for a quick break with this five-star resin base and 5 durable wheels
Things to Consider Before Buying a Big and Tall Office Chair
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a big and tall chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? A chair designed for a bigger or taller person could be crucial in a better, more comfortable workspace. Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
Depending on your weight, you may want and office chair that supports 400 lbs or more. It’s one of the main advantages of these types of chairs. According to ANSI/BIFMA standards for large occupant office chairs, 400 lbs. is the threshold for a male. They’re a leader in office furniture standards and because of that, many of the chairs on our list meet that criteria.
Additionally, even if you’re not 400 lbs. or more, it’s a sign that the chair is study and well built. Speaking of which…
Construction, Durability, and the Base
Being a bigger person means putting more strain on an office chair. If you sit to work for most of the day, it just compiles. Because of that, you want to make sure your new chair is built to talk and can support a big and/or tall person.
One of the most important aspects to look at is the base. For optimal support, you’ll want a 5-star base that’s made from reinforced resin or heavy-duty metal. You’ll also want smooth dual wheel casters which can swivel 360 degrees.
Finally, for any chair you’re considering buying, be sure to look at customer reviews to see if they reported any problems with durability.
Seat Width and Depth
If you’re a bigger guy or a bigger person, you want to make sure you’re going to fit in the chair that you buy. If you want to avoid constant numbing, endure that your chair wide enough for you to spend hours sitting in it. However, also make sure it’s not too wide.
ANSI/BIFMA guidelines say that the preferable seat width is 22 inches. We recommend a minimum backrest depth of 20 inches and a seat depth of at least 19 inches.
If you’re over 6 ft tall, then having a suitable seat back is a must. Ensure your new big and tall chair has an adjustable seat height to fir your unique body type.
This is twofold. First, if you sit to work for long hours, you’re going to want to be comfortable. There’s not much worse than having a lousy cushion when you’re working at your desk.
Second, you’re going to want something that will last. Plenty of office chairs that we’ve tested feel great but then after a week or two of use, the cushion wears down and it feels like you’re sitting on wood.
With that in mind, you want to choose a chair with a cushion that’s made of high-density foam so it will be able to keep its shape and support. We recommend a cushion thickness of at least 2.5 inches, if not more. If you’re 350 lbs. or more, consider 3 inches as a cushioning threshold.
This can be subjective — as in, it’s up to you! Some people prefer a leather or PU leather chair while other prefer fabric. Some folks like a mesh back as its the most breathable. We recommend going with what you prefer, but if you’re unsure, consider the following:
- Do you get hot easily? If you do, fabric and mesh should be your top choices.
- Do you sweat often? Like the bullet above, you’ll want to go with fabric and mesh.
- How important is the look? This is totally personal preference. But think about how much you prefer style over substance.
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design and helps you support a correct posture. Here are some features to look for to ensure an ergonomic big and tall chair:
- Lumbar support – Any good office chair should come with lumbar support, but it’s especially important with a big and tall chair. What you’re looking for is the S-shape frame in the back to mimic a spine. Often times there will be support behind mesh or extra padding.
- Adjustable Armrests – Getting your chair’s armrests to the proper level and position is key to your comfort. You’d be surprised at how uncomfortable it can be with them in the wrong position. When shopping for a chair, check for this feature and for the amount they can adjust.
- Adjustable Height – This is another standard on most chairs. But, like the armrests, having the right chair height is key to comfort. Having it at the wrong height can lead to pain in your knees, arms, or other areas.
- Tilt Tension Control – While not having this may not impact your health or ergonomics, it’ll certainly help your comfort. If you want a chair that can rock back and forth, you’ll want to make sure you can adjust that ability.
- Seat Design – This is another feature which can play a crucial role in your health and comfort while working. Not having proper seat design can lead to more pressure on the back of your thighs which can cause aches and pains. Additionally, it can help keep circulation. We look for a waterfall seat — a seat which slopes downward.
Bigger and taller people are more prone to breaking their chairs. That’s why you should check the warranty and return policy before you purchase a tall and big chair.
Bottom Line on Big and Tall Office Chairs
Picking a proper big and tall office chair can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its weight capacity as well as the seat width and back height.
If you want your chair to serve you for a long time, don’t forget to check its warranty. Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every bigger or taller person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would fit your body type the most.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs will help you better understand the office chairs and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
How should a big and/or tall person choose an office chair?
When choosing a big and tall office chair you’ll need to pay extra attention to factors such as seat width. In terms of seat width, we recommend something around 16 inches or more.
How high should the backrest be?
The height of the chair is not as important, but it’s definitely better if the chair offers headrest adjustments. If it doesn’t come with a headrest, then the height of the chair becomes a secondary factor.
What is a good seat height for tall people?
It mostly depends on how tall you are. For instance, a 6 ft. 3 inches person might need a seat height of around 20 inches, while a 7 ft. 3 inches person should go for a 24 inches seat height. In general, we suggest going for a chair that has a maximum height of at 24 inches.
Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.
Best Computer Chair for Big Guys – While there are a ton of different chair options on the market, the number of heavy-duty big and tall chairs is somewhat limited. We’ve already featured some of the top big and tall gaming chairs and now today we’re going to take a look at the best big and tall office style chairs.
We’ve rated and reviewed seven of the best office chairs for larger users. These office chairs have maximum weight capacities of up to 500 lbs. and we have left out any option that doesn’t have a capacity of at least 350 lbs. So, if you’re in need of a heavy-duty office chair that can give you the support you need. While there aren’t a ton of options for bigger and taller office chairs on the market as there are for smaller-to-medium-sized users, there still are enough heavy-duty chairs out there to give you a variety of options. Above, we have listed our picks for the top big and tall office chairs currently available. So, if you are in the market for a bigger chair, one of the options listed above should get the job done for you.