Best Computer Chair for Neck Pain – Neck pain can be caused by many things, and sitting in an office chair all day long is one of them. If you experience fatigue and pain, it’s likely that your current office chair doesn’t provide you with proper back and neck support. And since you’re reading this right now, you probably already figured it out.
However, just a headrest isn’t enough to ensure your shoulders and neck are fully protected. If your chair doesn’t help you maintain correct posture throughout the workday, it means your spine is in the wrong position, and, as a result, your neck as well.
So how do you find exactly what you need?
Of course, the first thing you do is google. But the number of chair models online can be very overwhelming. And what seems like a few-minute task can easily turn into a day’s long browsing quest…if not longer. So to save you time and prevent frustration, we’ve reviewed dozens of chairs and selected the nine best office chairs for neck pain.
This Gabrylly office chair has made it on a few of our lists for different types of office chairs, and there are many reasons why it made it to this one too.
This super adjustable office chair will provide you with adequate lumbar support, and most importantly, superior support for your neck.
There are three ways you can adjust the headrest: vertical adjustment, bracket adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Plus, the flip-up armrests can help you easily store the chair under the desk and create more space if needed. So whether you plan to use this chair at your home office or conference room, you can always be sure your spine and neck are in high-quality, ergonomic hands.
While this office chair offers excellent usability features and an affordable price tag, you might notice that you can lock it into position but only on certain parts of tilt, which might be a bit inconvenient if you use the tilt function often.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chair directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chair good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
On a budget but still looking for a decent ergonomic chair with good neck support? The Duramont chair is probably what you’re looking for.
The Duramont’s headrest is nothing to scoff at. The large contoured design helps limit stress on the neck for both short and tall people of up to 6’3”. It’s just the right firmness and can be easily tweaked in terms of height and angle even when you’re sitting down. Plus, the padded armrests have a slight concave to them so they’re more comfortable to use. Completing the package are the refreshing mesh backrest, slightly contoured foam seat, and rollerblade wheels which are easy on hardwood surfaces.
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
Thousands of people who were looking for a budget office chair to support their neck and shoulder landed on a great option by Staples.
The Staples Hyken Technical Task sells out quickly. It has an excellent breathable mesh back and adequate lumbar support. It’s the headrest that sets it apart from other budget chairs, though. You can adjust that headrest slightly up and down, in addition to angling left and right.
The mesh backing is well constructed and does a great job of being breathable.
Now, as a budget chair, the Staples Hyken isn’t perfect. Some owners complained about some adjustment options dying after about a year’s use, which could be worrisome for prospective buyers. But you know what you’re getting into when you buy a cheaper chair.
This chair also doesn’t recline, which could be a potential issue if you have lower back pain and need to recline to get some movement during the day.
Everything about this chair is made of plastic, so its weight capacity is lower at 250 lbs.
As a budget chair, you’re limited for color choices. So, we hope you like black.
This chair comes unassembled, so be ready to put it together.
- Sold as 1 Each.
- BREATHABLE MESH MATERIAL: This high-back office chair has a mesh breathable back that offers a modern look while keeping you cool. Built for both form and function, the mesh upholstery allows air to circulate while providing enough support for your body.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Adjustable tilt tension and tilt lock let you find an ideal seating angle, and height adjustment options make it easy to find the proper configuration for your desk. Plus, each arm on this desk chair adjusts height for ultimate comfort.
- DIMENSIONS: This mesh task chair measures 24"L x 27"W x 46"H. Designed with sturdy carpet casters, this executive office chair can support up to 250 pounds over a full workday and easily roll across your office floor.
- WE ARE STAPLES: The line between work and life is blurring. We have solutions to keep your teams productive, connected and inspired. Whether you know exactly what you need, or you're looking for tools and inspiration to hit goals, Staples is here for you.
4.Steelcase Leap Chair
Mesh seems to be the future of office chairs, but some people are still really into fabric chairs. If that’s the case, check out the Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair.
The Grand Rapids, Michigan-based company sells premium products, so expect build quality and comfort to be extremely high.In terms of price, it’s on the higher end, but it’s not a four-figure chair.
This chair is highly customizable, with more than 30 beautiful color options to choose from.
There’s no headrest on this chair, but the back is wide enough at the top to give your shoulders some support. The lumbar support is excellent as well, which helps with not only lower back pain, but also supporting your upper body, including your neck and shoulders.
Here are a few things we like about this chair:
- The fabric is made of 100% polyester, which is great for comfort and breathability.
- The wheels are designed to easily roll on different types of carpets.
- You can lock the recline of this chair into five different positions.
- It comes full assembled, which is always a nice perk.
If purchasing this chair from Amazon, make sure it specifically says it’s being shipped from and sold by Steelcase and not a third party, which could be selling a refurbished model.
- Fabric is 100% Polyester
- Wheels for Hard Flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 5 position recline lock, upholstered back and seat
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 5 position recline lock, upholstered back and seat
- Quality & durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
- Ships fully assembled; 12 year manufacturer warranty
5.Serta AIR Health
For an executive-style chair, the Serta AIR Health and Wellness office chair has incredible breathability, which makes it a great chair for all-day comfort.
The seat cushion and backing use a bonded leather and mesh combination on a wood frame. It’s the mesh accents that add to the breathability factor of this chair. The combination also looks quite stylish for an executive-style chair.
In terms of its overall ergonomics, this chair has plenty of features:
- Flexible AIR Lumbar Technology. The lumbar zone twists and flexes in response to your movement, aiding in that all-day support. There’s a reactive cushion that helps stabilize your spine’s position.
- Cable levers make adjusting every aspect of this chair super easy.
- Elevated padded headrest should be all you need for adequate neck support.
Owners of this chair have praised it for its comfort, lumbar support and its ease of assembly.
Some of the main complaints, though, is that it’s too small of a profile for larger adults. Quality control can also be an issue at times on this mass-produced chair. Some users complained about chairs arriving with broken parts. While Serta promised to send a replacement, it took several weeks.
To avoid those issues, make sure you’re buying a chair that’s sold by Serta and not be a third-party retailer, who may be trying to sell off an open box or refurbished chair.
- PROFESSIONAL AND COMFORTABLE: Ergonomic desk chair with layered body pillows and padded armrests
- AIR LUMBAR TECHNOLOGY: Lumbar cushions pivot when you move to provide back support and help improve posture
- EXECUTIVE STYLE: Bonded leather with contrast stitching.Material of Frame:Wood
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Seat-side cable-actuated levers offer convenient height and tilt adjustments
- SMOOTH ROLLING: Multi-surface, dual-wheel designer casters make it easy to move around
If you’re looking for a classic executive-style office chair that can also keep your neck and shoulders supported, look no further than the La-Z-Boy Delano.
The high back on this chair offers shoulder and neck support as well, helping you keep a good all-day position while at work.
Obviously, the look of this chair isn’t for everyone. Executive style chairs don’t really fit in with today’s modern office. But if your home office features a mahogany desk and other old-school features, you’ll love this chair. You can pick from brown or black leather.
The cushion is the big selling point of this chair. The memory foam seat is soft enough to sink into, but firm enough to give you that needed support.
It has the capacity for an adult weighing up to 350 pounds. The chair, itself, weighs 60 pounds, so it is on the heavier end.
The Delano is priced slightly above budget levels. Owners have reported some quality control issues, and are recommending that if you buy through Amazon that it shows it’s being sold by La-Z-Boy and not a third-party retailer.
The one downside is the plastic plate on the seat, which controls things like tilting. It can be prone to breaking if you’re overusing that feature.
For the most part, though, this is a solid executive-style chair that will keep you comfortable while on the job.
- PREMIUM CUSHIONING: Ergonomic office chair with memory foam cushioning that contours to your body
- STYLISH AND VERSATILE: A tasteful complement to any office, home, or entertainment space
- BIG AND TALL DESIGN: 45- to 48-inch height range and 21-3/4-inch seat width. Sturdy components surpass rigorous BIFMA testing standards and supports up to 350 pounds.
- WARM AND INVITING: Chestnut brown bonded leather upholstery with rich mahogany-stained wood
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Fully adjustable height, recline, and tilt settings
Most Important Things to Look For in an Office Chair for Neck Pain
The most important thing in preventing neck pain is to maintain proper posture. As such, the key features in an office chair that are most effective in preventing and reducing chronic neck pain are ones that encourage a good sitting position.
Head and Neck Support
Let’s start with the most obvious – head and neck support. There are two types of neck support commonly found on ergonomic office chairs.
The first is a fixed headrest that spans the width of the entire backrest. Typically found on executive office chairs, it consists of a protruding pillow that can be very comfortable, provided it is the right height.
The second type of neck support comes in the form of an articulated headrest that is shaped and curved to conform to the user’s cervical spine. If you have neck pain, it’s vital that any articulated headrest is at least height adjustable to support the exact region of your neck that needs extra support. Otherwise, it could exasperate your condition.
The lower part of the spine naturally curves inward to create what is called the lordotic curve. A lumbar support fills in the gap between the backrest and the spine to prevent slouching, which can lead to a forward head posture over time.
Look for a chair with a good lumbar support, which can greatly help prevent postural problems that cause not just neck pain, but shoulder and back pain as well.
There are three types of lumbar support that can be found in office chairs:
- Fixed Lumbar Support: Typically found on lower end chairs, it cannot be adjusted to better fit the user.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: For this type, the height, depth, or firmness of the lumbar support can be manually adjusted.
- Dynamic Lumbar Support: The best out of the three, it automatically adjusts its depth and firmness depending on your position.
A lumbar support depth of 0.6 to 2” is sufficient for most people. However, since women have a more pronounced lordotic curve, a better choice for them would be an office chair with a deeper lumbar support. If you’re on the tall side, a taller lumbar support is ideal.
When talking about neck pain prevention in the office, the armrests are probably one of the last things that you’ll think of. However, lack of arm support or poorly placed arms while working can lead to shoulder pain, which can then travel to the neck.
The proper arm position is such that the forearms are parallel to the desk surface, with the elbows assuming a 90 – 100 degree open angle. At this position your arms and shoulders are most relaxed.
To achieve this posture, look for office chairs with armrests that are at least 2D (height adjustable).
Robust Seat Height
Another feature that you’ll want in an office chair for neck pain is robust seat height control. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a seat height adjustment range of 15 to 22” works for most people. The reason for this as it relates to neck pain is the same as armrest height adjustment.
When your desk is too high, you move your shoulders up and raise your hands, wrists, and forearms to reach the right height. However, staying in this position for too long will strain your neck muscles and eventually cause headaches as the suboccipital muscles at the bottom of your skull get fatigued.
On the other hand, when your desk is too low, your neck and upper body flexes forward, shortening your suboccipital muscles and causing headaches, neck pain, and muscle spasm.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
What type of headrest does it have?
While we noted that headrest isn’t a deal-breaker, it’s still good to have an option to use it and give your neck even more support. Some office chairs come with either adjustable/removable or built-in headrests. Which one you should choose depends on your preferences and height. We recommend opting for an adjustable headrest to ensure it’s not too low for your neck if you’re on the taller side. In addition, some chairs offer headrests that you can move up and down, back and forward, and change the tilt angle.
Is the seat cushion comfortable?
Yes, the comfort of your neck depends on your body’s overall experience when sitting. An ergonomically designed seat cushion that encourages you to sit straight and takes away pressure from your legs will definitely contribute to you feeling less tired at the end of your workday. Thick-padded waterfall or W-shaped seat cushions are some of the best options on the market.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
Suppose you really want to ensure the most comfortable seating position. In that case, a seat depth can give these extra adjustability options to ensure the lumbar support is actually “hugging” your spine in the right way. This feature is especially useful if you’re shorter.
Does it have adjustable armrests?
You might not think that armrests are an important feature of an office chair for neck pain. However, keeping arms in a proper position can help maintain good posture, prevent shoulder pain, and contribute to better rest in between work sprints. So even if you don’t use armrests often, it’s still a good thing to have them in case you ever change your mind and decide to test them out and see how it improves your experience.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.
Neck pain appears from prolonged sitting while maintain a posture that is incorrect. To get rid of it you have to set up the monitor all the way up to your eye level so that it’s right in front of you and you are not looking down. This is by far the most significant adjustment you have to make.
So if you are using a laptop, you should ideally have these:
- a laptop stand (this thing would actually elevate the monitor all the way to your eye level)
- a separate keyboard and mouse (as you won’t really be able to use the ones on your laptop)
You should also have your ergonomic chair setup in the correct manner. Make sure it’s:
- Big enough for your frame (especially the backrest)
- Setup up according to your body type (e.g. knees and elbows at 90 degrees)
It is also recommended to take regular breaks and actually get up from your ergonomic office chair. If you get up every half an hour and spend a few minutes standing, that would go long way not only towards your neck health but towards your overall health.
Adjustability goes hand-in-hand with ergonomics. You need an office chair that can adjust at all points, from the backrest to even the front of the armrests if you want precise positioning for your wrists while typing. Remember, an ergonomic chair is a highly adjustable chair.
Most chairs on the market today adjust in all the right places: height, armrests, and back supports. More expensive models feature those more detailed adjustments, like 360-degree adjustable armrests.
These adjustments are typically located under the chair’s seat, but newer chairs are moving those knobs and adjusters to under the armrests for easier access.
A chair with good back support is also going to help with your neck and shoulders. Why is that? Because if your chair is letting you slouch, you’re not going to be looking at your computer screen and typing in the best possible position.
Your first order of business is finding a chair with adjustable lumbar support. This is typically a slider that also protrudes in and out, allowing you to pinpoint the perfect amount of pressure to support your back. The best lumbar supports have adjustable heights, depth and firmness.
In addition to lumbar support, there’s also the backrest, which should tilt back at least 20 degrees. For those with bad back pain, you need a chair that can recline at least 135 degrees. If your chair can’t recline, you can’t stretch that lower back throughout the day. The backrest should be height adjustable.
Why is tilting so important? It allows your back to make “micro movements” throughout the day. The best office chairs allow you to lock in that recline position, which can be quite comforting for your back.
Best Computer Chair for Neck Pain – Finding the best office chair for neck pain and shoulder pain can be quite challenging.
In this guide we share the most comfortable and obtainable budget ergonomic chairs that can help you with that.
Down below I list 6 top rated office chairs followed by the guide on what you should look for when buying a chair for neck, correct sitting postures and even exercises for reducing neck pain.
You certainly don’t want to be sitting on anything too hard for an extended period of time. Thanks to chair technology (and our adaptation to those types of ergonomic chairs) our bodies aren’t accustomed to sitting hard surfaces. As a result, our muscles are going to get tired trying to support our full weight.
All of that being said, if a seat is too soft, you’re going to sink in and exhibit poor posture.
So, like Goldilocks ultimately found in the Three Little Bears, you need a chair that’s just right.
Memory foam is quite popular today because it’s firm enough to support you, but cushiony enough to prevent your muscles from wearing out from sitting on a hard surface all day.
Scroll down and let’s get started with these best ergonomic office chairs for neck and shoulder pain!