Best Desk Chair for Back and Neck Pain – Neck and Back pain can be caused by many things, and sitting in an office chair all day long is one of them. If you experience fatigue and pain, it’s likely that your current office chair doesn’t provide you with proper back and neck support. And since you’re reading this right now, you probably already figured it out.
However, just a headrest isn’t enough to ensure your shoulders and neck are fully protected. If your chair doesn’t help you maintain correct posture throughout the workday, it means your spine is in the wrong position, and, as a result, your neck as well.
So how do you find exactly what you need?
Of course, the first thing you do is google. But the number of chair models online can be very overwhelming. And what seems like a few-minute task can easily turn into a day’s long browsing quest…if not longer. So to save you time and prevent frustration, we’ve reviewed dozens of chairs and selected the nine best office chairs for neck pain.
This Gabrylly office chair has made it on a few of our lists for different types of office chairs, and there are many reasons why it made it to this one too.
This super adjustable office chair will provide you with adequate lumbar support, and most importantly, superior support for your neck.
There are three ways you can adjust the headrest: vertical adjustment, bracket adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Plus, the flip-up armrests can help you easily store the chair under the desk and create more space if needed. So whether you plan to use this chair at your home office or conference room, you can always be sure your spine and neck are in high-quality, ergonomic hands.
While this office chair offers excellent usability features and an affordable price tag, you might notice that you can lock it into position but only on certain parts of tilt, which might be a bit inconvenient if you use the tilt function often.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chairs directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chairs good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
2.Steelcase Gesture Office Chair
If budget isn’t an issue for you and you simply want to get an ultra-comfy office chair that would protect your body, especially your neck, during long hours of office work, the Steelcase model with headrest should be one of your top picks.
This delicate yet super sturdy office chair will provide you with an upgraded sitting experience. Designed with a back and seat that move with you as a synchronized system, it offers the continuous and persistent support you’ve been looking for.
Its seat also has a flexible perimeter, allowing you to sit in a range of positions and have your arms and shoulders supported all the time. Plus, this chair can hold up to 400 pounds and accommodate almost any body type and preference.
While this chair is one of the best on the market, the only disadvantage is its price, which definitely puts this model under the label “premium office chair.”
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
If you care not only about your neck but also style and design, the NOUHAUS Ergo3D modern office chair will beat your expectations.
Considering its moderate price tag, this ergonomic office chair offers many features and usabilities. For example, 4D adjustable armrests, exceptional lumbar support system, 135-degree back tilt, smooth HydraLift, adjustable headrest, and gentle dual castors.
On top of that, the Ergo3D model is upholstered in breathable ElastoMesh, preventing you from sweating and feeling uncomfortable. So whether you’re pulling an all-nighter or beating the last level of your favorite video game, this office chair will conform to both your body without jeopardizing your neck and back.
The only thing you might find a bit annoying is that there’s no padding between the edges of the frame and the mesh.
Pros & Cons
- CONFORMS TO YOUR LIFE: With it’s 4D Adjustable Armrest and Lumbar System, ElastoMesh, 135 Degree Back Tilt, Smooth HydraLift, Dual Castors (and a set of hardwood floor Blade Castors) – it’s easy to think the Ergo3D is from the future, but instead it’s evolved Ergo Seating at its finest and it’s here now.
- EASE INTO WORK, OR PLAY: Mesh Headrest adjusts up and down while the 4D Adjust Arms go forwards, back, up, down, side to side, and rotate for the best fit to your body. 3D Lumbar Support hugs your back, while the seat glides up and down for the ultimate in customized comfort in the office, or in front of your game!
- SOFT HD OFFICE CHAIR: Our breathable ElastoMesh provides optimal airflow to avoid sweating and sticking. But it’s also smooth, and nothing like sitting on wire like many of the chairs you’ll see today. And while it’s good to take regular breaks, the Ergo3D is so comfy you’ll forget you’re even working.
- HEAVY DUTY: Our 5-Point Base with dual castors gives greater stability and strength over common 4-Point, single castor chairs. And our strong iron base makes this heavy-duty office chair ideal for adults up to 275 lb. We also give a set of blade wheels – smooth as silk on hardwood.
- SUPER-LOUNGE RECLINE: Settle back, because you have up to 135° of tilt to keep you in the perfect position for your next task, or to simply lounge back and admire how smart you are for finding such a remarkable ergonomic chair. Try the Ergo3D and feel the difference it makes to your life.
If you prefer office chairs with segmented backrests for better neck and back protection, the KERDOM ergonomic office chair could be a perfect match for you.
This breathable computer desk chair provides four support points, including head, back, buttocks, hands, and proper lumbar support to ensure you can adjust your chair to your specific requirements. And while a height and rotate adjustable headrest will be protecting your neck, an abrasion-resistant seat cushion will be providing you with a comfortable experience.
As a result, this office chair is perfect for long-term office use and helps prevent fatigue. Plus, fully adjustable armrests will let you roll the chair close to the desk and create more space in your home office.
Just keep in mind that this chair isn’t a heavy-duty model, so if you’re looking for a big and tall office chair, you might want to consider other options.
Pros & Cons
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair】 The office chairs are designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction, provides comfortable support to help you keep a relaxed posture in a long time working. Easier to disperse pressure and relieve muscle fatigue.
- 【Comfortable and Safety】 The computer desk chair is made of the high-density and breathable mesh back with lumbar support and thick cushion to provide you the most comfortable posture. The thickened explosion-proof seat plate give you more comfort and double coverage. Max capacity: 250 lbs.
- 【Convenient Storage】 The mesh office chair comes with adjustable padded armrests which can be flipped up or down. It saves your space and can be easily stored. Suitable for office, living room, study room, meeting room, etc.
- 【Multi Function】 Pneumatic seat height adjustment; Tilt lock function(angle adjustable); 360 degree swivel; Solid rolling silencer casters for smooth movement.
- 【Easy to Assemble】 We offer installation instruction and video to help you. It usually takes about 10-20 minutes to assemble. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
If you’re looking for a classic black mesh back office chair with a comfy headrest for your neck, the SIHOO ergonomic office chair competes on par with even more expensive models.
Featuring adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, tilt adjustment, and height-adjustable armrests, this office chair can be fitted to almost anybody and provide you with a highly customizable sitting experience. Plus, the W-shaped waterfall seat design ensures you sit centrally, and the adjustable headrest supports your cervical spine and helps prevent neck pain.
And did we mention this chair can support up to 330 pounds? So if you need a big and tall chair, this might be an excellent option for you.
Just keep in mind that the headrest might be too low if you’re 6’4” and taller.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMICE OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 support points (head/back/hip/hands) and proper lumbar support. SIHOO designs ergonomic chairs to meet different needs, with seat height, headrest adjustment, lumbar support and back support adjustment, suitable for long sitting and reduce your pain. Suitable for people 5'6" to 6'2" tall.
- 【For Home and Work】 SIHOO chairs can be applied in different scenarios according to the needs of different consumers in needs. Can be used as student office chairs, computer chairs, ergonomic chairs, desk chairs, gaming chairs; not only can sit comfortably, but also save money;
- 【Breathable Mesh】 Mesh Office Chair Premium Backrest features flexible non-pattern mesh fabric while keeping your back cool and comfortable, allowing you to sit focused and relaxed at the same time.
- 【High Quality & Easy Assembly】This home office desk chair passed the BIFMA test and the 1136kg static pressure test. Our ergonomic office chair can support up to 330 lbs. Simple instructions allow anyone to put the chair together in eight easy steps.
- 【3-Year Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Home Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within the three-year warranty period
6.Oak Hollow Chair
If you’re looking for a mix between a modern and an executive office chair, the Oak Hollow Furniture Aloria Leather Series model might be your winner.
Loaded with various adjustable features, ergonomic support, and ultimate comfort, this office chair is perfect for long hours of use in a workplace or home-office setting. This high-back chair model comes with a removable mesh headrest, letting you create the most convenient setup for your spine and neck.
In addition, the seat depth adjustment allows you to move the seat forward and back to accommodate your leg length. This office chair is a nice combo of mesh back and a genuine leather seat. So if you’re a fan of both, it’s an excellent choice for you.
Just beware that the assembly might be quite challenging if you have never assembled chairs before. So you might want to ask your friend to help you out.
Pros & Cons
- 【Genuine Leather Seat】 - The Aloria Series ergonomic office chair by Oak Hollow Furniture comes equipped with an upgraded, soft and supple genuine cowhide leather seat. Why buy a cheap PU or bonded leather chair that may contain harsh chemicals or wear down quickly? This upgraded genuine leather seat design is meant to withstand years of use in a working or home-office environment. Invest in your health with a chair that is intended to last with quality materials and a better ergonomic design.
- 【Adjustability Options】 - We've outfitted the Aloria Series office chair with a host of adjustability features, including the 4-way adjustable armrests, a padded lumbar support cushion that can be adjusted up and down, a synchro tilt mechanism which allows for 4 different locking positions, a free-float unlocked setting, tilt tension adjustment for greater control of the backrest, and seat depth adjustment for front and back positioning. Find the perfect settings and make this chair your own!
- 【Perfect Fit】 - This ergonomic office chair is designed to fit the majority of users comfortably! Choose your perfect cylinder height - We provide 2 different pneumatic seat height options so the chair will accommodate most height ranges. Short or tall, it will work for you! Find your perfect height setting, tilt options, backrest tension, and seat position to optimize your comfort in the Aloria Series office chair. Recommended weight limit of 300 lbs., and a wide range of supported heights!
- 【Sleek and Professional Design】 - Enhance your work space with the Aloria Series office chair - whether you are building a business from home or spending long days on the job, an Aloria office chair is the perfect addition to your office setup. These chairs are perfect as executive and managers chairs, conference room chairs, task chairs, or employee chairs. Whatever the goal, this chair is designed to improve & enhance your office and work space experience with sleek design and comfortability.
- 【Trusted Products and Service】 - Have peace of mind knowing your purchase is covered under the manufacturer warranty - Oak Hollow Furniture provides a lifetime warranty on the components and a 5 year limited warranty on the leather. We use high density molded foam for the interior and only the highest quality materials for our line of chairs. We believe an office chair should be an investment into your health and well-being, and we stick to this philosophy with our line of products.
Things to Consider When Buying an Office Chair for Neck and Back Pain
When it’s time to choose which office chair for neck pain you’re going to order, there are a few things you need to compare and evaluate first.
The most important thing in preventing neck pain is to maintain proper posture. As such, the key features in an office chair that are most effective in preventing and reducing chronic neck pain are ones that encourage a good sitting position.
Head and Neck Support
Let’s start with the most obvious – head and neck support. There are two types of neck support commonly found on ergonomic office chairs.
The first is a fixed headrest that spans the width of the entire backrest. Typically found on executive office chairs, it consists of a protruding pillow that can be very comfortable, provided it is the right height.
The second type of neck support comes in the form of an articulated headrest that is shaped and curved to conform to the user’s cervical spine. If you have neck pain, it’s vital that any articulated headrest is at least height adjustable to support the exact region of your neck that needs extra support. Otherwise, it could exasperate your condition.
The lower part of the spine naturally curves inward to create what is called the lordotic curve. A lumbar support fills in the gap between the backrest and the spine to prevent slouching, which can lead to a forward head posture over time.
Look for a chair with a good lumbar support, which can greatly help prevent postural problems that cause not just neck pain, but shoulder and back pain as well.
There are three types of lumbar support that can be found in office chairs:
- Fixed Lumbar Support: Typically found on lower end chairs, it cannot be adjusted to better fit the user.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: For this type, the height, depth, or firmness of the lumbar support can be manually adjusted.
- Dynamic Lumbar Support: The best out of the three, it automatically adjusts its depth and firmness depending on your position.
A lumbar support depth of 0.6 to 2” is sufficient for most people. However, since women have a more pronounced lordotic curve, a better choice for them would be an office chair with a deeper lumbar support. If you’re on the tall side, a taller lumbar support is ideal.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
What type of headrest does it have?
While we noted that headrest isn’t a deal-breaker, it’s still good to have an option to use it and give your neck even more support. Some office chairs come with either adjustable/removable or built-in headrests. Which one you should choose depends on your preferences and height. We recommend opting for an adjustable headrest to ensure it’s not too low for your neck if you’re on the taller side. In addition, some chairs offer headrests that you can move up and down, back and forward, and change the tilt angle.
Is the seat cushion comfortable?
Yes, the comfort of your neck depends on your body’s overall experience when sitting. An ergonomically designed seat cushion that encourages you to sit straight and takes away pressure from your legs will definitely contribute to you feeling less tired at the end of your workday. Thick-padded waterfall or W-shaped seat cushions are some of the best options on the market.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
Suppose you really want to ensure the most comfortable seating position. In that case, a seat depth can give these extra adjustability options to ensure the lumbar support is actually “hugging” your spine in the right way. This feature is especially useful if you’re shorter.
Does it have adjustable armrests?
You might not think that armrests are an important feature of an office chair for neck pain. However, keeping arms in a proper position can help maintain good posture, prevent shoulder pain, and contribute to better rest in between work sprints. So even if you don’t use armrests often, it’s still a good thing to have them in case you ever change your mind and decide to test them out and see how it improves your experience.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.
The best office chair for back pain is a very worthwhile investment. Whether it’s at home or at the office, we spend so much of our day sitting down at a desk that it makes sense to think about what we’re sitting on and what it’s doing to our back.
The best ergonomic office chairs can help with back pain, or can help prevent you from developing back pain to start with by improving how you sit.
Bad posture can cause serious and unnecessary health issues in the long term. The best ergonomic office chairs help counteract that by providing lower back support that allows your lumbar spine to remain in a neutral position. By supporting its natural curve, they can alleviate stress on the spine. They’re also highly adjustable, ensuring that you can put the chair at the right height for you so that your feet are on the ground and your knees are not strained.
Below, we round up our pick of the best office chairs for back pain and highlight the models we believe are the best choices for long sessions at the desk. We’ve considered ergonomics, build quality and style, but we’ve also been sure to include options at different price points because the best office chairs for back pain do tend to be expensive. If you need some pointers on what you should be looking for, scroll down to the questions section at the bottom of our guide. And if you want to help your poor back even more, see our guide to the best standing desks, which can also be good for your posture. We also have a guide to the best office chairs (not specifically for helping posture).
“A chair that allows your lower back to maintain a good neutral position, supporting the natural curve in the lower back, can alleviate stress on the spine and improve the alignment of your spine all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst, a physiotherapist specialising in back pain and a specialist in Pilates, agrees. “The right chair set up is essential, not only to support the natural curves of the spine but also the shoulders,” she notes. “Arm rests are really useful for someone who suffers neck and mid spine pain. Lumbar support is also very useful. An adjustable seat plate, back rest and arms will allow the user to adapt the chair to their specific posture.”
It’s especially important to replace an ageing chair, says James Crow, owner of Posture Stars, a website promoting good posture. “If your chair has been around for more than a decade it’s probably time to upgrade,” he explains. “The materials wear down over time, with seat padding especially taking a beating.
“The best office chair for back pain is one that’s highly adjustable, so you can get the back to support you in a meaningful way. Invest wisely: we wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or car, but many of us are spending eight to 10 hours a day perched on a ‘value’ chair.”
Note that the chairs above give you a great chance of avoiding back problems in the future. If you’re experiencing pain already, make sure you visit your doctor or chiropractor, as there may be underlying issues besides your chair.
What’s the best office chair for back pain?
Need a more affordable option? We’ve taken that into account and included some more economical chairs for back pain in our guide too. We’d also suggest reading below for a few pointers on what features to look for when you’re searching for the best office chair for back pain.
What chair features are good for back pain?
- Lumbar support (see below)
- Adjustable armrests
- Seat-depth adjustability
- Recline and tilt
Why does this matter? Well, when sitting, your lumbar becomes sandwiched between the torso, above, and buttocks, below. When you sit, lumbar stress is one-and-a-half times higher than when you stand, and double compared to when you walk.
“Left unsupported over time, the strain causes stiffness, making the lower back prone to injuries like slipped discs,” Chongsu says. “Just like support beams in a building, lumbar support absorbs that strain and props your lumbar up, protecting it against stress and injury.”
How do you sit properly in a chair?
Best Desk Chair for Back and Neck Pain – Talking about Americans, around 30% of American adults suffer from chronic neck, and out of this 30%, 70% of individuals suffer from neck pain due to bad sitting posture.
If you are among those who experience neck pain, and if it’s due to bad posture, we highly recommend you replace your current chair with something more comfortable and ergonomic.
If you are among those who still enjoy working on the bed, you must note that this enjoyment is temporary. You are putting a lot of pressure on your neck and your back. That’s the reason you are experiencing neck pain.
In this guide, we have picked some of the best office chairs that you can get at an affordable price tag, and they’ll be super effective in your neck pain.
You can pick any of these as per your pocket and preference. However, if you are experiencing extreme chronic pain, it is recommended to visit a medical expert.