Best Desk Chair for Big and Tall – Looking for the best big and tall office chair? You’re in the right place. Spending endless hours in an office chair can be unpleasant and uncomfortable if the chair you’re in doesn’t fit you well. If you’re a tall or bigger person (or both), you probably know what we’re talking about.
Quality and comfortable office chair can make your workday easier and prevent some health problems in the future. So, if you’re a person who is big and tall, what should you do if you find regular office chairs too small and inconvenient?
Even though there are tons of different office chairs on the market, the number of big and tall office chairs is a bit limited. Of course, there’s no magic chair that would be a great fit for everyone. But, we set out on a mission to find the top nine best big and tall office chairs to help you enhance your work setup.
While reviewing the best heavy-duty office chairs, we considered the chair’s weight capacity, dimensions, comfort, and style. Dive in if you’re in search of a high-quality big and tall office chair.
1.HON Wave Mesh
The HON Wave Big and Tall Executive chair comes in as top pick because of it’s amazing combination of comfort, durability, and price.
If you’re not a fan of leather-like office chairs, this big and tall mesh office chair is a great choice for you. The light breathable material will feel nice on your back and prevent it from sweating.
The chair features a robust 450 lb weight capacity, which is ideal for bigger and taller people. You can also enjoy all the ergonomic features the HON office chair provides. It has adjustable reclining and armrests as well as customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment. In short, this chair will take good care of your posture during workdays.
Thanks to the five-star resin base and durable wheels, this high back office chair will become one of your favorite office items. Plus, you’ll also get a HON 5-year Limited Warranty. So, you can be safe in case something goes wrong with your chair.
The HON big and tall executive chair will easily adapt to your body and be your best office friend for years.
Pros & Cons
- Made of Metal, Mesh & Leather | Easy assembly required
- Chair dimensions – 25.63" D x 30.25" W x 42.88" H | Seat dimensions – 19” D x 22” W | Arm adjustment – 21” W x 3”-9” H | Back width – 23” | Weight capacity – 450 lbs. | Unit weight – 59 lbs. | Lumbar support fixed
- Give your neck and back a break; these adjustable-height and width arms move up and down, and toward and away from the body to adapt to your body
- Let this comfortable office chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline, customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment
- Pull up to your computer desk, swivel around to collaborate with your teammate, or wheel over to the snack area for a quick break with this five-star resin base and 5 durable wheels
Steelcase is known for making high quality office chairs and this one is no exception. In fact during our testing, we thought this was better chair than our top pick, the HON Wave. So why is it number two? The price. At nearly $1,000, it’s an investment and significantly more than most chairs. However, if it’s an investment you can afford, you’ll be happy you did.
The Steelcase Gesture features multiple adjustment options such as seat depth, arms, seat height, reclining tension, and a 4 position recline line. Additionally, we found it to be the most comfortable chair we tried.
This big and tall office chair can support up to 400 lbs, much more than regular office chairs that usually support only up to 250 lbs. So, if you’re a big guy, you should have no problems with the weight capacity.
Thanks in part to Steelcase’s proprietary seat technology, if you suffer from back and leg pain, sitting in this chair for hours won’t feel like torture for your body.
Finally, the chair comes assembled so as soon as it’s delivered, you’ll be ready to enjoy it.
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
3.SIHOO Ergonomic Office Chair
Another ergonomic office chair that passed our test is this product by SIHOO, which is specifically suited for big and tall people. First of all, this computer chair offers 5 different types of adjustments that can greatly help you find the most comfortable position to work long hours. More specifically, we’re talking about headrest adjustments, back support adjustments, seat height adjustments, tilt adjustments, and finally armrest adjustments. By customizing all these features, you’ll be able to find the perfect positionings to sit comfortably for long spans of time.
However, adjustments alone aren’t enough to make an office chair comfortable. We also need to take breathability into consideration. In this regard, this SIHOO chair features a premium backrest with mesh fabric that keeps your skin cool and fresh by letting air circulate to eliminate sweat and moisture after hours of use.
Moving on, the W-shaped design of the seat is wide and comfortable, and it can support up to 330 lbs. The front edge has a waterfall design, which helps relieve pressure on your legs. Moreover, the high-density, sponge filled cushion isn’t likely to lose its original shape over time.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMICE OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 support points (head/back/hip/hands) and proper lumbar support. SIHOO designs ergonomic chairs to meet different needs, with seat height, headrest adjustment, lumbar support and back support adjustment, suitable for long sitting and reduce your pain. Suitable for people 5'6" to 6'2" tall.
- 【For Home and Work】 SIHOO chairs can be applied in different scenarios according to the needs of different consumers in needs. Can be used as student office chairs, computer chairs, ergonomic chairs, desk chairs, gaming chairs; not only can sit comfortably, but also save money;
- 【Breathable Mesh】 Mesh Office Chair Premium Backrest features flexible non-pattern mesh fabric while keeping your back cool and comfortable, allowing you to sit focused and relaxed at the same time.
- 【High Quality & Easy Assembly】This home office desk chair passed the BIFMA test and the 1136kg static pressure test. Our ergonomic office chair can support up to 330 lbs. Simple instructions allow anyone to put the chair together in eight easy steps.
- 【3-Year Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Home Office Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within the three-year warranty period
If you’re still struggling to find a chair suited for big and tall people, then this product by Samofu might just be what you were looking for. With a 2.4-inch height adjustable backrest and a 90°-135° lockable reclining function, this ergonomic office chair offers a large variety of positions to help you stay comfortable during your work.
More specifically, the back can be adjusted in four different levels to easily adapt to various heights, and this, coupled with the chance to adjust the height and angle of the headrest, makes the Samofu chair fit the human body’s physiological curve, helping you keep a natural and correct posture.
In terms of breathability, the mesh backrest lets air circulate to keep you fresh throughout the day, while talking about seating area, the seat can be raised or lowered to achieve the most comfortable position for you and its waterfall front can distribute pressure evenly on your lower body, reducing stress on your thighs and knees.
All the tools you need to assemble the chair are provided, and the product comes with a 5-year warranty.
On the negative side, although the armrests can be adjusted in height, we found that they might sit a bit too close together at only 18-inch apart. In case armrests are a problem for you, here you can find our review of the best armless office chairs.
Pros & Cons
- [Customised Ergonomic Chair- 3D Backrest, 5D Armrest & Footrest] It’s of paramount importance to look after your body for those of us with desk jobs. SAMOFU High back office chairs have a liftable & tiltable backrest, adjustable lumbar support & headrest and seat height, depth adjustment mesh seat, and retractable footrest, to provide ultimate comfort and sprawling luxury for your body.
- [Dynamic Back Support - Back Pains Go Away] SAMOFU chair adopts the 3 piece backrest that targets the back and neck accurately for tension relief. The computer chair features a 2.4-inch height-adjustable backrest and 90°-135°lockable recline function to support the natural curvature of your spine. Back/front adjustable lumbar support equally easing any back pain and relaxing your body. The backrest provides instant comfort and conforms to every user's unique shape.
- [Optimal Comfort - Adjustable Armrest & Seat and 3D Lumbar Support] SAMOFU chairs provide 90-135 degree inclining ranges. Adjustable 3D Lumbar Support hugs your back. The 5D arms provide common adjustments including height, width, depth, and pivot. The seat glides front and back to find a depth that accommodates their upper leg length. The multi-dimensional free rotating headrest provides the most comfortable position for your head and neck.
- [Move Easily and Freely] Don't overlook the importance of swivel base and silent wheels. The aluminum alloy frame is stronger and sturdy for heavier-weight guys. The casters with a smooth rollerblade design and coated in soft polyurethane that will not disturb others or be disturbed. It can also be applied to wood floors, carpets without damage. All office chairs should swivel to allow for easy access to various parts of the desk. Otherwise, arm fatigue can result from over-extending.
- [Long Warranty Policy] You want to keep it for a longer period of time when you try to new investment. So we offer 5 years warranty to assure all customers that any needed repairs and replacements will be covered. Including but not limited to missing parts, damaged package, or Failed function.
- [Eliminate Hip Pressure - Premium Elastic Mesh] SAMOFU desk chair with the waterfall-edged seat, their contoured and slightly downward sloped shape aids to relieve pressure and increase support behind your knees and on the back of your thighs. The elastic mesh hugs your buttocks to disperse pressure when you sit in. And keep the body cool and dry, and will not hinder blood flow due to stuffy sweat and aggravate back pain.
5.XUER Ergonomic Office Chair
Another great option in terms of office chairs for big and tall people is this ergonomic chair by XUER. The chair has a simple yet modern design that will fit any interior and make your office look more stylish. While completing your daily tasks, you will also enjoy the comfort of a wide W-shaped seat made of sponge and covered in breathable mesh. This cushion also features a waterfall front to effectively reduce pressure when sitting at a desk.
With a variety of adjustments available, such as the free rotating headrest, the adjustable armrests covered in PU, and a tilt function, this heavy-duty chair can surely help you find and keep a comfortable position.
In terms of assembly, the process should only take around 20 minutes and it’s quite easy if you follow the instructions given in the manual. All tools required are included in the price.
Although this chair offers a good number of pros for around $250, we noticed that the headrest, though easily adjustable, tends to be a bit wobbly due to the way it’s attached to the base at the back of the chair.
Pros & Cons
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
For less than $200, this modern big and tall mesh office chair is a perfect choice if you’re looking for something simple and practical. It supports up to 400 lbs and lets bigger people feel comfortable while sitting in the chair the whole day.
The durable mesh back and the wide, thick and breathable padded seat will assure your optimal comfort during the usual workdays. Plus, it’ll prevent your back from sweating or overheating and, thus, help you avoid uncomfortable situations.
With adjustable armrests and height, this chair can be locked at a large number of angles to help you find the most comfortable position. Furthermore, the lumbar support design effectively protects your spine while relieving pain when working.
Lastly, the BOLISS chair, other than being one of the cheapest options on our list, has a 360-degree swivel and it comes with a 36-month warranty in case anything goes wrong with your purchase.
Overall, this is a great option for the price you’re paying, but we do need to say the lumbar section of the chair cannot be adjusted to suit a person’s specific needs. However, you can check our review of the best office chair cushions to find a solution for this problem.
Pros & Cons
- Comfortable office chair with thick streamline fabric back and breathable lumbar support
- 4 inches thick fabric seat and height adjustable soft fabric thick armrest.
- 15 degrees title and lock function. The height of chair can be adjusted. It can be rotated 360 degrees.
- Big load wearing office chair with silent PU wheels, the maximum load wearing is 400 pounds, NOT suitable for big people to use
- Office chair handbook(instruction) is inside the box. The chair is provided 12 months warranty.
- It is passed by BIFMA certification
- Chair Dimensions:25.4"-30.2"D x 28.1"W x 37"-40.6"H
Things to Consider Before Buying a Big and Tall Office Chair
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a big and tall chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? A chair designed for a bigger or taller person could be crucial in a better, more comfortable workspace. Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
Depending on your weight, you may want and office chair that supports 400 lbs or more. It’s one of the main advantages of these types of chairs. According to ANSI/BIFMA standards for large occupant office chairs, 400 lbs. is the threshold for a male. They’re a leader in office furniture standards and because of that, many of the chairs on our list meet that criteria.
Additionally, even if you’re not 400 lbs. or more, it’s a sign that the chair is study and well built. Speaking of which…
Construction, Durability, and the Base
Being a bigger person means putting more strain on an office chair. If you sit to work for most of the day, it just compiles. Because of that, you want to make sure your new chair is built to talk and can support a big and/or tall person.
One of the most important aspects to look at is the base. For optimal support, you’ll want a 5-star base that’s made from reinforced resin or heavy-duty metal. You’ll also want smooth dual wheel casters which can swivel 360 degrees.
Finally, for any chair you’re considering buying, be sure to look at customer reviews to see if they reported any problems with durability.
Seat Width and Depth
If you’re a bigger guy or a bigger person, you want to make sure you’re going to fit in the chair that you buy. If you want to avoid constant numbing, endure that your chair wide enough for you to spend hours sitting in it. However, also make sure it’s not too wide.
ANSI/BIFMA guidelines say that the preferable seat width is 22 inches. We recommend a minimum backrest depth of 20 inches and a seat depth of at least 19 inches.
If you’re over 6 ft tall, then having a suitable seat back is a must. Ensure your new big and tall chair has an adjustable seat height to fir your unique body type.
This is twofold. First, if you sit to work for long hours, you’re going to want to be comfortable. There’s not much worse than having a lousy cushion when you’re working at your desk.
Second, you’re going to want something that will last. Plenty of office chairs that we’ve tested feel great but then after a week or two of use, the cushion wears down and it feels like you’re sitting on wood.
With that in mind, you want to choose a chair with a cushion that’s made of high-density foam so it will be able to keep its shape and support. We recommend a cushion thickness of at least 2.5 inches, if not more. If you’re 350 lbs. or more, consider 3 inches as a cushioning threshold.
This can be subjective — as in, it’s up to you! Some people prefer a leather or PU leather chair while other prefer fabric. Some folks like a mesh back as its the most breathable. We recommend going with what you prefer, but if you’re unsure, consider the following:
- Do you get hot easily? If you do, fabric and mesh should be your top choices.
- Do you sweat often? Like the bullet above, you’ll want to go with fabric and mesh.
- How important is the look? This is totally personal preference. But think about how much you prefer style over substance.
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design and helps you support a correct posture. Here are some features to look for to ensure an ergonomic big and tall chair:
- Lumbar support – Any good office chair should come with lumbar support, but it’s especially important with a big and tall chair. What you’re looking for is the S-shape frame in the back to mimic a spine. Often times there will be support behind mesh or extra padding.
- Adjustable Armrests – Getting your chair’s armrests to the proper level and position is key to your comfort. You’d be surprised at how uncomfortable it can be with them in the wrong position. When shopping for a chair, check for this feature and for the amount they can adjust.
- Adjustable Height – This is another standard on most chairs. But, like the armrests, having the right chair height is key to comfort. Having it at the wrong height can lead to pain in your knees, arms, or other areas.
- Tilt Tension Control – While not having this may not impact your health or ergonomics, it’ll certainly help your comfort. If you want a chair that can rock back and forth, you’ll want to make sure you can adjust that ability.
- Seat Design – This is another feature which can play a crucial role in your health and comfort while working. Not having proper seat design can lead to more pressure on the back of your thighs which can cause aches and pains. Additionally, it can help keep circulation. We look for a waterfall seat — a seat which slopes downward.
Bigger and taller people are more prone to breaking their chairs. That’s why you should check the warranty and return policy before you purchase a tall and big chair.
Picking a proper big and tall office chair can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its weight capacity as well as the seat width and back height.
If you want your chair to serve you for a long time, don’t forget to check its warranty. Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every bigger or taller person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would fit your body type the most.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs will help you better understand the office chairs and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
Best Big and Tall Office Chairs:
How should a big and/or tall person choose an office chair?
When choosing a big and tall office chair you’ll need to pay extra attention to factors such as seat width. In terms of seat width, we recommend something around 16 inches or more.
How high should the backrest be?
The height of the chair is not as important, but it’s definitely better if the chair offers headrest adjustments. If it doesn’t come with a headrest, then the height of the chair becomes a secondary factor.
What is a good seat height for tall people?
It mostly depends on how tall you are. For instance, a 6 ft. 3 inches person might need a seat height of around 20 inches, while a 7 ft. 3 inches person should go for a 24 inches seat height. In general, we suggest going for a chair that has a maximum height of at 24 inches.
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.
If we were to define comfortable office chairs with one word, the word would be “invaluable”. In fact, this is especially true if you have a few extra pounds under your belt. No matter if you need to work on your income taxes, give the finishing touches to that corporate report, or even evaluate your student’s coursework, something is clear: a comfy, ergonomic office chair specifically made for heavy folks is paramount in order to do those tasks efficiently!
That’s why I decided to write this article. I decided to find the very best office chairs for heavier folks like me. I also talk about why they are the best ones, with detailed information about pricing, ergonomics, weight capability, and style, among other things. If you are looking to spend your hard earned money on an office chair that will feel comfortable to sit for hours on end, then this is the article for you!
To create our guide for the best big and tall office chairs, we considered the following key criteria: seat height, seat width, lumbar support, weight capacity, materials, and additional features. When browsing for the best office chair, seat height adjustment ranges and the width of the seat are going to be integral when shopping for a big and tall office chair. Likewise, we focused on weight capacity and considered whether a chair did more than just include lumbar support, but made it adjustable. Keep reading to learn more about our selection criteria and to shop from our recommendations on the best office chairs.
For a quick look at our top options for the best big and tall office chairs, the table below will give you a look at four of our favorite options across a few different categories. We’ve selected the best big and tall chair overall, the best large ergonomic chair, the best value option, and the best budget-friendly heavy-duty chair.
While there aren’t a ton of options for bigger and taller office chairs on the market as there are for smaller-to-medium-sized users, there still are enough heavy-duty chairs out there to give you a variety of options. Above, we have listed our picks for the top big and tall office chairs currently available. So, if you are in the market for a bigger chair, one of the options listed above should get the job done for you.
Best Desk Chair for Big and Tall – While there are a ton of different chair options on the market, the number of heavy-duty big and tall chairs is somewhat limited. We’ve already featured some of the top big and tall gaming chairs and now today we’re going to take a look at the best big and tall office style chairs.
We’ve rated and reviewed seven of the best office chairs for larger users. These office chairs have maximum weight capacities of up to 500 lbs. and we have left out any option that doesn’t have a capacity of at least 350 lbs.
For big and tall users, shopping for anything requires a little more effort, whether it’s clothes, shoes, and even furniture such as office chairs. The standard office chair typically is geared towards people below 300 pounds and 6 feet tall (182cm). Everything from the dimensions of the seat and backrest, the hydraulic piston, to the cushioning are designed to operate comfortably and safely within those parameters, and isn’t something you want to skirt.
If you belong in the heavier or taller category then, picking the right office chair isn’t just a matter of comfort, but safety and longevity of your investment.