Best Desk Chair for Large Person – Looking for the best big and Large office chair? You’re in the right place. Spending endless hours in an office chair can be unpleasant and uncomfortable if the chair you’re in doesn’t fit you well. If you’re a tall or bigger person (or both), you probably know what we’re talking about.
Quality and comfortable office chair can make your workday easier and prevent some health problems in the future. So, if you’re a person who is big and tall, what should you do if you find regular office chairs too small and inconvenient?
Even though there are tons of different office chairs on the market, the number of big and tall office chairs is a bit limited. Of course, there’s no magic chair that would be a great fit for everyone. But, we set out on a mission to find the top nine best big and tall office chairs to help you enhance your work setup.
While reviewing the best heavy-duty office chairs, we considered the chair’s weight capacity, dimensions, comfort, and style. Dive in if you’re in search of a high-quality big and tall office chair.
Similar to the office chair above, this particular offering from Duramont is good, but not great. The cushioning used on the seat is just adequate for big and tall folks, and while the comfort is just okay for what you pay, I would personally would go for something that feels more ergonomic and solid, especially when it comes to the arm and head rests.
While the seat structure feels solid and well built, the armrests feel like they were bonded together with Elmer’s glue. Initially when you assemble this chair, the armrests feel solid, but as time goes on, they start wiggling around, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they broke eventually. The same thing can be said about the headrests.
I personally find the pricing to be a little bit too steep for what you get. Aside from the rollerblade style casters that makes it really easy to move around, this chair doesn’t really have any other redeeming qualities.
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
2.Steelcase Leap Plus Chair
Out of all of the office chairs that I have sat on in my life, the Steelcase Leap has been the very best. It is made in America with top quality materials that are built to last. Whil
If you are looking for an attractive, yet classy looking office chair that you can sit on for hours on end without you ever feeling uncomfortable, then this is the one for you!
Aside from this, another thing that I love about this office chair is how well built it is. As soon as you sit on it, you will notice how substantial it feels, as if it weighs much more than the advertised 58 pounds. This chair is #1 on the list for a reason: it has the best combination for style, weight capacity, comfort, and sturdiness. Highly recommended!
As I mentioned above, I have sat on countless office chairs of the big & tall variety, and while many of them feel relatively comfortable to sit initially, over time you just want to sit somewhere else. Either the cushioning is too hard or the chair’s ergonomics do not fit my body too well. However, this isn’t the case with this one.
The chair’s cushioning is just soft enough that you can sit on it pretty much all day without your butt feeling cramped, without it being too mushy either. The chair has been weight tested to up to 500 pounds, and I’m pretty sure this is a conservative number. This chair feels so rock solid that 600 pounders could easily sit on this chair without a problem.
Combine this with a very ergonomic backrest and you have the makings of a very cozy and snug office chair with a very elegant aesthetic. The chair’s minimalist but classy design would fit right in the office of a company CEO or physician. It definitely looks expensive, and guess what: it is! Actually, this is the only con that I have found on this chair, but if you are looking for something that will handle more than 500 pounds while feeling super comfortable to sit for several hours, then you can’t do much better than getting this chair!
- Leap Plus offers the same benefits, aesthetic appeal and functionality of Leap with support for users up to 500 lbs.
- Live Back technology that allows the back of the chair to mimic the movements of the spine
- Arms telescope in and out, move forward and back, pivot and adjust up and down so you can find a natural position that comfortably supports your needs
- Designed with the planet in mind and is up to 98% recyclable by weight and made of up to 30% recycled content
- Weight tested up to 500 pounds with no loss of performance
3.Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller is no stranger to best office chair lists, and this specific model is perfect for folks that are a little bit bulkier than usual. Herman Miller offers 3 sizes in their Aeron model, and this is their size C, specifically made for big & tall people. This is one of my favorite models because of the fact that it’s a little bit lighter and more maneuverable than other chairs on this list, perfect for people who need to be moving often inside an office on even a bigger bedroom.
This model only weighs 39 pounds, unlike the Steelcase Plus that weighs 20 pounds more. Herman Miller achieved this weight by focusing on using lighter materials throughout, with them using mostly mesh on the back rest & actual seat portion. In the process of doing so, they made sure not to skimp on the ergonomics of the chair. The result is a light but sturdy chair perfect for any gamer or office employee that needs to be moving often as I said above.
There’s algo a big pro of using mesh over other materials: it ventilates better than the traditional cushioning used on most office chairs. This makes this chair a better choice than what you might think for sitting for long periods of time. Foam cushioning might be quite comfortable but it heats up so much, especially on rooms with no air conditioning.
Aside from this, another big advantage of the Aeron and the main reason why this chair is so comfortable for big & tall folks is the PostureFit technology used in this model. Which means that you can adjust this structure to fit the curve of your spine. This is the great thing about the chairs on this list: they are built so that they can be accommodated to your specific body type, and not the other way around, and the PostureFit support is one of the reasons why Herman Miller is one of the leaders when it comes to big & tall chairs.
- Size B Fully Loaded Chair
- Adjustable Lumbar Support
- Forward and Rear Tilt
- 20 Step Inspection Process.Discontinued By Manufacturer.
- Assembly Required Tools Provided
- 3-Year Mechanical Warranty Provided.
4.DXRacer Master Chair
Another DXRacer chair, this Tank series gaming chair is perfect for those folks who might need something that’s a little bit less bulky than a traditional big & tall chair. Now, don’t get me wrong: this is still a great choice for bigger folks, but not everybody needs 400lb weight capacity on an office chair. If this is your case, and you still want something that doesn’t skimp on comfort and quality, then this can be a great choice!
With a weight capacity of 275 lbs, this chair is perfect for those folks who are above average in both height & size, but not bulky enough to warrant the bigger Tank series chair. Anybody between 5’11 & 6’2 and 190 & 250 lbs will really love this chair. Aside from that, this DXRacer chair has everything that you might expect on a DXRacer, including 4d armrests, ergonomic fit, and a spine stabilizing construction that will really hold you in place for hours on end.
Another thing that I love about this particular chair: it’s rather affordable, especially when you consider the MSRP of the first 2 choices above. The build quality is very solid, and the chair feels substantial without feeling overly heavy or hard to move, unlike the tank series above.
Aside from these facts, you really have to appreciate the attention to detail DXRacer has put into these chairs. It’s safe to say that these chairs look like they were pulled straight from a Ferrari or Lamborghini, with the same luxuriousness that you would expect from those cars. All in all, this could be the perfect gaming chair for the bigger than average gamer that wants something a little bit slimmer than the Tank series chair above.
- MASTERFULLY CRAFTED MICROFIBRE - We all know what a chair means to you during a long duration of sitting. That’s why we adopt premium microfiber leather that surpasses industry standards for an extra touch of luxury and extended comfort. It feels soft, smooth while retaining good abrasion resistance and tensile strength, inviting you to sit comfortably for years to come.
- RAIL-MOUNTED HEADREST - Our sliding foam pillow conforms better to your head to relieve more pressure points, helping to avoid muscle pains and aches. A fully adjustable headrest, opening to its customization, enables you own a pillow that matches your style.
- INTEGRATED LUMBAR SUPPORT - Engineered with ergonomics in mind, the built-in lumbar support integrated into the backrest is optimized for incredible spinal support through your entire back. A side-mounted rotary dial, normally found in the seating of premium automobiles, enables the Master chair to be effortlessly adjusted for exceptional comfort.
- FULL-METAL 4D ARMREST - Each DM1000 model is equipped with bran-new 4D armrests—updated with a new metal internal for optimal support and resting position of the forearm. The PU padding also provides greater durability and ease of maintenance.
- ROBUST ALUMINUM BASE - Solid and robust aluminum base is highly resistant to external forces and supports up to 120 kg, even when making use of the tilt mechanism (up to 155°) for reclining and relaxing. All this is made possible thanks to the use of a Safety Class 4 hydraulic gas lift and heavy-duty aluminum casters, which also glide effortlessly across any surface.
5.Flash Furniture HERCULES
As soon as you see this chair with your own eyes, you will understand why the folks at Flash Furniture decided to call this chair line HERCULES. It’s big, accommodating, and the executive color used throughout the frame makes you feel like you are sitting on a throne. This isn’t actually a traditional office desk chair, but rather a reception chair like the ones you see in the doctor’s office. This particular model was specifically made for big & tall folks, and the 500 pound weight capacity will be more than enough to ensure you are sitting comfortably for long periods of time.
Let’s talk about one of the first reasons why you should be buying this chair: pricing. This is actually one of the most affordable chairs on this list, and while some people shy away from cheaper chairs because of the risk of them falling apart in a few days, this is one of the few ones that will probably stand the test of time. The steel used on this chair makes it feel very sturdy, which surprised me given how simple the seat looks in real life, which brings me to my next point.
This chair will withstand a massive amount of weight. In fact, this is the chair that will hold the most weight on this list. However, the problem with it is that it’s not an actual office chair with wheels, so while the steel frame will be sturdy enough for even the biggest folks out there, moving it to go to the kitchen or any other room will be much more cumbersome. Because of this, this isn’t the kind of chair that you get to have it in the middle of your room.
Another con of this chair is the fact that it’s not as ergonomic as the other choices presented above. It’s very easy to slouch when sitting on this chair, so if you are looking for something to keep your back straight, you might want to get something different. This one can withstand a massive amount of weight though, and it’s rather cheap too, especially when you consider the build quality of it.
- If standard office chairs don’t meet your specific needs, this Big & Tall adjustable office chair will save the day. Generous padding, fabric upholstery and ergonomic features give a custom fit that will get you comfortably through your workday
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] Mid back office chair with fabric upholstered back and seat with CAL 117 fire retardant foam
- Pneumatic adjustable height swivel seat and adjustable height padded arms for comfort
- Contemporary style Big & Tall ergonomic task office chair for use in the office or home workspace
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 29"W x 29"D x 38.75-42.75"H | Seat Size: 22.5"W x 20"D x 19.5-24"H | Back Size: 20"W x 21"H | Arm Size: 25.75-32.75"H from floor; 6-8.75"H from seat
6.HON Wave Mesh
Some people will shy away from the traditional gaming chair designs that have been so widespread the last few years. After all, not everybody wants a seat that makes you think you are sitting on a race car! And if this is the case, then let me tell you that there are alternatives to that design, especially in the big & tall category. This office chair from HON is one of them, combining an executive style appearance, a mesh covering, and lot’s of cushioning on the back rest & butt area to make an excellent office chair for big & tall people.
While not as ergonomic as some of the first choices above, this office chair more than makes up for it with bang for your buck. Again, this office chair won’t contour to your body, but that doesn’t mean that it’s uncomfortable by any means. In fact, this chair is super comfy and sturdy, perfect for folks who need to sit hours on it on end doing office work, gaming, or just watching tv. However, it won’t keep your spine straightened up like the king & tank series above though. The lumbar support also leaves something to be desired. Just something to keep in mind if you are interested in that.
Another thing that I love about this office chair is its build quality. This baby can hold up to 450 pounds, and thanks to its steel construction it does so without it bulging even a tiny bit.
Now, HON had to cut costs some way to ensure this chair is profitable for them, and you kind of can notice that when you look at more minor details. One of the things that they did to reduce costs is using cheaper wheels and lower quality plastics under the chair itself. Thankfully, it doesn’t affect the resistance of the seat itself, but if you are looking for something premium that looks luxurious from top to bottom, then you might want to skip this one.
- Made of Metal, Mesh & Leather | Easy assembly required
- Chair dimensions – 25.63" D x 30.25" W x 42.88" H | Seat dimensions – 19” D x 22” W | Arm adjustment – 21” W x 3”-9” H | Back width – 23” | Weight capacity – 450 lbs. | Unit weight – 59 lbs. | Lumbar support fixed
- Give your neck and back a break; these adjustable-height and width arms move up and down, and toward and away from the body to adapt to your body
- Let this comfortable office chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline, customizable lower back support and pneumatic height adjustment
- Pull up to your computer desk, swivel around to collaborate with your teammate, or wheel over to the snack area for a quick break with this five-star resin base and 5 durable wheels
Things to Consider Before Buying a Big and Large Office Chair
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a big and tall chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? A chair designed for a bigger or taller person could be crucial in a better, more comfortable workspace. Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
Depending on your weight, you may want and office chair that supports 400 lbs or more. It’s one of the main advantages of these types of chairs. According to ANSI/BIFMA standards for large occupant office chairs, 400 lbs. is the threshold for a male. They’re a leader in office furniture standards and because of that, many of the chairs on our list meet that criteria.
Additionally, even if you’re not 400 lbs. or more, it’s a sign that the chair is study and well built. Speaking of which…
Construction, Durability, and the Base
Being a bigger person means putting more strain on an office chair. If you sit to work for most of the day, it just compiles. Because of that, you want to make sure your new chair is built to talk and can support a big and/or tall person.
One of the most important aspects to look at is the base. For optimal support, you’ll want a 5-star base that’s made from reinforced resin or heavy-duty metal. You’ll also want smooth dual wheel casters which can swivel 360 degrees.
Finally, for any chair you’re considering buying, be sure to look at customer reviews to see if they reported any problems with durability.
Seat Width and Depth
If you’re a bigger guy or a bigger person, you want to make sure you’re going to fit in the chair that you buy. If you want to avoid constant numbing, endure that your chair wide enough for you to spend hours sitting in it. However, also make sure it’s not too wide.
ANSI/BIFMA guidelines say that the preferable seat width is 22 inches. We recommend a minimum backrest depth of 20 inches and a seat depth of at least 19 inches.
If you’re over 6 ft tall, then having a suitable seat back is a must. Ensure your new big and tall chair has an adjustable seat height to fir your unique body type.
This is twofold. First, if you sit to work for long hours, you’re going to want to be comfortable. There’s not much worse than having a lousy cushion when you’re working at your desk.
Second, you’re going to want something that will last. Plenty of office chairs that we’ve tested feel great but then after a week or two of use, the cushion wears down and it feels like you’re sitting on wood.
With that in mind, you want to choose a chair with a cushion that’s made of high-density foam so it will be able to keep its shape and support. We recommend a cushion thickness of at least 2.5 inches, if not more. If you’re 350 lbs. or more, consider 3 inches as a cushioning threshold.
This can be subjective — as in, it’s up to you! Some people prefer a leather or PU leather chair while other prefer fabric. Some folks like a mesh back as its the most breathable. We recommend going with what you prefer, but if you’re unsure, consider the following:
- Do you get hot easily? If you do, fabric and mesh should be your top choices.
- Do you sweat often? Like the bullet above, you’ll want to go with fabric and mesh.
- How important is the look? This is totally personal preference. But think about how much you prefer style over substance.
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design and helps you support a correct posture. Here are some features to look for to ensure an ergonomic big and tall chair:
- Lumbar support – Any good office chair should come with lumbar support, but it’s especially important with a big and tall chair. What you’re looking for is the S-shape frame in the back to mimic a spine. Often times there will be support behind mesh or extra padding.
- Adjustable Armrests – Getting your chair’s armrests to the proper level and position is key to your comfort. You’d be surprised at how uncomfortable it can be with them in the wrong position. When shopping for a chair, check for this feature and for the amount they can adjust.
- Adjustable Height – This is another standard on most chairs. But, like the armrests, having the right chair height is key to comfort. Having it at the wrong height can lead to pain in your knees, arms, or other areas.
- Tilt Tension Control – While not having this may not impact your health or ergonomics, it’ll certainly help your comfort. If you want a chair that can rock back and forth, you’ll want to make sure you can adjust that ability.
- Seat Design – This is another feature which can play a crucial role in your health and comfort while working. Not having proper seat design can lead to more pressure on the back of your thighs which can cause aches and pains. Additionally, it can help keep circulation. We look for a waterfall seat — a seat which slopes downward.
Bigger and taller people are more prone to breaking their chairs. That’s why you should check the warranty and return policy before you purchase a tall and big chair.
Picking a proper big and tall office chair can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its weight capacity as well as the seat width and back height.
If you want your chair to serve you for a long time, don’t forget to check its warranty. Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every bigger or taller person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would fit your body type the most.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs will help you better understand the office chairs and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
How should a big and/or tall person choose an office chair?
When choosing a big and tall office chair you’ll need to pay extra attention to factors such as seat width. In terms of seat width, we recommend something around 16 inches or more.
How high should the backrest be?
The height of the chair is not as important, but it’s definitely better if the chair offers headrest adjustments. If it doesn’t come with a headrest, then the height of the chair becomes a secondary factor.
What is a good seat height for tall people?
It mostly depends on how tall you are. For instance, a 6 ft. 3 inches person might need a seat height of around 20 inches, while a 7 ft. 3 inches person should go for a 24 inches seat height. In general, we suggest going for a chair that has a maximum height of at 24 inches.
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you.
Best Desk Chair for Large Person – I hope you found this post helpful. Choosing the right office chair can be difficult, especially because of all the options available.
If you’re looking for the best office chairs for large people, then you can’t go wrong with any on this list.
I did my best to include chairs of all different styles and price points, so you’ll surely find something that that’s the right fit for you. Keep in mind that choosing the right chair can be very subjective.
Since it’s a matter of personal preference, I would highly suggest trying them out first in a physical store if you have the option to find one that really fits your body type.
And finally, remember that choosing the perfect office chair is an investment, especially if you’re a heavier individual.
Since office chairs for heavier people are larger, they’ll typically cost a bit more. Also, if you’re a very heavy person, you’ll also need to keep in mind that your body weight will wear on the chair quicker.
Sometimes, if you can, spending a little more up front on a quality chair that will last will end up saving you money in the long run.