Best Desk Chair for Petite Person – The selection of office chairs for petite and short people can feel limited. There certainly isn’t going to be as many options as standard office chairs, but there are things that you can do to expand your selection. Things like a footrest and keyboard tray can be amazing tools. An electric height-adjustable desk can also be a game changer for a lot of people. These will make the seat height less of a problem.
If there isn’t a chair on this list that will work for your needs, then make sure to take our “7 Things to Consider” with you on your search. If you are armed with the knowledge of what to look for and what to avoid, you should be able to find the best chair for your needs.
Finding the best office chair for a short or petite person is not an easy task. The average height of people in the UK is 5ft 9 inches (175.3cm). Most office chair manufacturers in the UK make their office chairs, keeping that in mind. So, an average person can fit into any chair easily.
However, if you are a short person in the UK and your height is below 5’5″. Most office chairs won’t be the right fit for your height. In this article, I will guide you to purchase the
In this article, I have added 8 office chairs that can fit a person’s height ranging from 4’11” to 5’5″ in the UK. I did a lot of digging to find the best office chair for you, so you don’t need to spend hours looking for an office chair suitable for your height.
1.Flash Office Chair
If you’re looking for exceptional comfort and minimalistic design, the Flash Furniture mesh back office chair will fit the bill and your office space.
This petite office chair features a ventilated curved mesh back with built-in lumbar support that prevents overheating. This doesn’t only help you stay fresh during hot days, but it also lets you keep a correct posture throughout your shift. Moreover, a 3-inch padded waterfall seat relieves pressure from the legs while providing cushioning for long workdays.
You can also set the chair’s height as low as eight inches from the floor, perfectly fitting your body structure. The list of goodies this office chair offers doesn’t stop here. You’ll also be delighted with padded flip-up armrests and a convenient footrest that will instantly take your workstation to the next level.
This Flash Forniture chair features a tilt lever that can be pushed in to lock the backrest in an upright position, or alternatively it can be pulled out to activate the rocking motion.
However, the only flow you might notice in this chair is that the height of the armrests can’t be adjusted. But at least you can flip them up, right? In any case, if armrests bother you or you’re just looking for a space saving chair, then you might want to take a look at the armless office chairs we’ve reviewed.
Pros & Cons
- When you spend more time in your office chair than your bed, a great chair is essential. This adjustable Big & Tall executive office chair boasts an adjustable headrest and generous padding in the back, seat and arms to cradle you in comfort
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] High back design with ratchet height adjustable headrest and built-in lumbar support, 360 Degree swivel seat with waterfall front edge reduces pressure on the legs
- Contoured back and seat with CAL 117 fire retardant foam and embellished mesh trim, LeatherSoft is leather and polyurethane for added Softness and Durability
- Contemporary style Big & Tall ergonomic task office chair for use in the office or home workspace
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 30"W x 33"D x 46.25-52"H | Seat Size: 22"W x 20.5"D x 21.5-24"H | Back Size: 21"W x 27-30.5"H | Arm Size: 28.5-31"H from floor; 7.5"H from seat
2.Ergousit Home Office Chair
This office chair for petite people by Ergousit features an interesting butterfly shaped backrest design that not only enhances your overall comfort while sitting, but it is also made to fit most interior styles. More specifically, the S-curve back frame perfectly adapts to the human body, fitting the spine and ultimately allowing you to sit for several hours each day without experiencing any pressure or discomfort.
The chair has a ton of adjustable features included which help you find and keep a comfortable seating position. That’ll help you reduce back and neck pain. These adjustments include height customization, which allows the chair to go as low as 15”, and a rocking mechanism that lets the chair tilt from 90 degrees to 110 degrees. Plus, the curved headrest, made of mesh fabric, provides head and neck support while you work.
As for the seat cushion, included in the chair we found a thick cushion made of high-density foam that is supposed to keep its original W-shaped design to provide a larger support area while dispersing pressure on your hips and legs.
Last but not least, the breathable mesh used on the backrest enhances air circulation to prevent heat from accumulating.
As a negative note, we noticed that if you sit in the chair leaning all the way back the armrests might result too far apart to actually be 100% comfortable.
Pros & Cons
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair with Lumbar Support】The ergonomic back design of the home office chair provides good lumbar support to minimize back problems and encourage good posture. No need to worry about horrible ergonomic issues with unsupported posture and position caused by Full-time work. Simple and stylish shape, exquisite appearance suitable for any occasion-office, meeting room, home.
- 【Solid Home Office Construction】This ergonomic office chair has explosion-proof hydraulic cylinder at international standards, heavy-duty metal base with smooth-rolling castors make a superb stable structure. No squeaks either when reclining back and forth or swiveling. (Maximum weight capacity: 250LBS)
- 【Convenient Flip-up Armrest】Another plus with this desk chairs is having the Flip-up armrests, it's a great feature to have to depend on your need. Being able to lift up the arms makes it easy to tuck in and store under a table or desk, easily saving precious space.
- 【Breathable Mesh Back and Comfortable Seat Cushion】The cushioning of the seat and the netted comfortable back of the home office desk chairs are all made of upgrade materials. High-density mesh is very breathable and not easy to tear. The large and thick seat cushion is made of high-quality foam, which is high resilience and never deform.
- 【Well Packaged and Quick Delivery】All parts are packaged well with the bubble wrap protected it well enough, ensuring all the parts are intact with no damage to the fabric or structure. Our professional delivery service guarantees that the chair will be delivered as soon as possible.
- 【Responsible Customer Service and Easy Assemble 】The task chair is equipped with easy installation tools and clear Instructions. You only need 10-15 mins to assemble it. We provide 5 year warranty and 24 hour online customer service, if you have any issue with our chairs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Other than offering a variety of customizable features, this petite chair by Kolliee caught our attention thanks to its good price for value ratio. For less than $120 you can purchase an ergonomic office chair with an adjustable height mechanism that can make the chair go as low as 15” to help you find the most comfortable position to work in.
Speaking of comfort, the chair was designed with a human-oriented ergonomic construction, meaning that the lumbar support will provide back support throughout the day to effectively reduce sitting-related back pain or stress.
The backrest is entirely made of high-density mesh to allow air to circulate freely, while the seat provides a high-resilience foam cushion to keep pressure off your legs. Compared to other foam cushions we’ve found during our search for the best office chair for short people, we think this one is quite durable and built to last without losing its shape over time.
Lastly, we’d like to mention that even though the armrests aren’t adjustable nor padded, they can be flipped up in case you need to store the chair or if they just bother you while working.
Pros & Cons
- SWIVEL, ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT MESH OFFICE CHAIR: 360 degree swivel, adjustable height mechanism, flip up armrests.
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR: This office chair designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction, providing back support to reduce back pain caused by long time sitting.
- HIGH QUALITY OFFICE CHAIR: Our office chair is high quality, environmentally that comes from a responsible manufacturer.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY MATERIALS: American-made high density mesh, high resilience foam cushion, high quality gas lift cylinder. All materials are in good quality, durable, and not easy to deform.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Our office chair is easy to install. We offer installation instruction and video to help you.
4.FelixKing Ergonomic Desk Chair
If you’re looking for a compact office chair with a sleek design and easy to store, then the FelixKing office chair will be one of your top choices.
Featuring an ergonomic S-shaped curve design, this chair will help you relieve stress and relax muscles even when working full-time at your desk. And thanks to 90-degree rotating and padded armrests, you’ll find it easy to use this chair and store it quickly.
You can forget about ruining your floor since the FelixKing offers abrasion-resistant and very durable casters, but if you want to be absolutely sure you can always think about purchasing one of the best office chair mats to protect your hardwood floors against any possible scratch.
Back to the ergonomic features of the chair, by adjusting the lumbar support you can change the position of the support point on your lower back. In addition, the height of the upper and lower back can be adjusted by about 1.6 inches, which should let you adjust this office chair for your specific body structure.
As for the reclining feature, the backrest offers a 30 degree recline to comfortably lean back, while the pressure-resistant structure is designed to reduce pressure on your body as well as improve blood flow.
However, while the double-layer mesh back is breathable and strong, it might feel a bit uncomfortable if you touch it with your bare skin.
Pros & Cons
- [ Multi-Function ] The height of the chair can be adjusted according to the height of the desk and the height of the person sitting on it. It also features 360 degree rotation. With the feature of 30 degrees of recline and structure of distributing the pressure-resistant, it can reduce your body's pressure. Promote your own blood circulation.A durable caster can be easily moved elsewhere.
- [ Comfortable Surface ] The surface of FelixKing’s chair is composed of high-density natural sponge which is designed for the curve of human’s butt. It can provide a larger bearing area and can reduce body’s pain. Mesh breathable materials and thick handrails provide comfort for people.Meanwhile It can also protect your lumbar spine and back.
- [ Ergonomic Design ] The mesh back of FelixKing’s chair has excellent elasticity, completely suitable for the waist and back curve. This modern adjustable high back chair has an ergonomic S-shaped curve design.It is easier to relieve stress and relax muscles.You won't get tired even if you sit for a long time.
- [ Convenient Storage ] Lift the armrest and It can be pulled up and placed under the desk. It can be stored neatly and space-saving. The armrest can be rotated 90 degrees to relax the muscles and have fun at the same time.It’s suitable for living room, study room, meeting room and office.
- [ Simple assembly ] It can be assembled with the simple tools that come with packing. You can easily complete it in about 15 minutes according to the English instructions.The warranty is one year.If you have any problems, please contact us at any time, and the customer service will provide customers with satisfactory solutions.
This stylish and modern ergonomic chair is a real gem if your budget isn’t limited. If you’re looking for a chair that would provide you with the ultimate ergonomic comfort for your body and life during workdays, you’ll be more than satisfied with this choice. And yes, as a petite person, you won’t be disappointed too.
With the 18.5~22.4 inches from the ground to the seat, you’ll find this chair extra comfortable, if not the most comfortable chair you’ve ever owned. Plus, the exclusive Ergo3D lumbar support system will accommodate your tiny body structure perfectly. Additionally, the headrest can be adjusted to support your neck regardless of which position you’re sitting in.
The backrest of the chair, as well as the headrest, are made of breathable mesh to reduce heat and provide optimal air flow.
And we almost forgot to mention that this office chair features a super-lounge tilt. So you’ll have up to 135° of tilt to keep you in the Ergo3D Comfort Zone for your next task or to simply lounge back. It’s hard to beat that, isn’t it?
Although this chair isn’t cheap, we do need to mention an additional set of Blade Castors is included in the price.
The only thing you might find a bit inconvenient is that the armrests move if you get up from or into the chair from any angle other than perfectly straight.
Pros & Cons
- CONFORMS TO YOUR LIFE: With it’s 4D Adjustable Armrest and Lumbar System, ElastoMesh, 135 Degree Back Tilt, Smooth HydraLift, Dual Castors (and a set of hardwood floor Blade Castors) – it’s easy to think the Ergo3D is from the future, but instead it’s evolved Ergo Seating at its finest and it’s here now.
- EASE INTO WORK, OR PLAY: Mesh Headrest adjusts up and down while the 4D Adjust Arms go forwards, back, up, down, side to side, and rotate for the best fit to your body. 3D Lumbar Support hugs your back, while the seat glides up and down for the ultimate in customized comfort in the office, or in front of your game!
- SOFT HD OFFICE CHAIR: Our breathable ElastoMesh provides optimal airflow to avoid sweating and sticking. But it’s also smooth, and nothing like sitting on wire like many of the chairs you’ll see today. And while it’s good to take regular breaks, the Ergo3D is so comfy you’ll forget you’re even working.
- HEAVY DUTY: Our 5-Point Base with dual castors gives greater stability and strength over common 4-Point, single castor chairs. And our strong iron base makes this heavy-duty office chair ideal for adults up to 275 lb. We also give a set of blade wheels – smooth as silk on hardwood.
- SUPER-LOUNGE RECLINE: Settle back, because you have up to 135° of tilt to keep you in the perfect position for your next task, or to simply lounge back and admire how smart you are for finding such a remarkable ergonomic chair. Try the Ergo3D and feel the difference it makes to your life.
Another great ergonomic chair for short people we found is this space-saving chair by Kerdom. In terms of comfort, it offers three support points (back, hips and hands), to help you keep a correct posture when sitting. Moreover, the height can be adjusted from 15.4” up to 18.9” to specifically suit petite people.
Whenever you need to take a small break and relax, the chair’s 90-125 degree rocking mechanism will be just what you need. And when you want to sit upright, the adjustable lumbar support will constantly make sure you won’t sit in an unhealthy position.
This chair comes in handy whenever you need to save space because thanks to its small dimensions and flip-up armrests you’ll be able to make it fit under any kind of desk. Plus, its simple design can fit close to any interior.
This chair has a light breathable mesh back to help you survive hot summer days in the office. The material was used on the backrest as well as the seat cushion to keep you fresh during the day. It’s a reliable and sturdy office chair for people with a petite physique and it comes in 6 different color options. On the negative side, the armrests aren’t padded and they can’t be adjusted in height or width.
Pros & Cons
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair】 The office chairs are designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction, provides comfortable support to help you keep a relaxed posture in a long time working. Easier to disperse pressure and relieve muscle fatigue.
- 【Comfortable and Safety】 The computer desk chair is made of the high-density and breathable mesh back with lumbar support and thick cushion to provide you the most comfortable posture. The thickened explosion-proof seat plate give you more comfort and double coverage. Max capacity: 250 lbs.
- 【Convenient Storage】 The mesh office chair comes with adjustable padded armrests which can be flipped up or down. It saves your space and can be easily stored. Suitable for office, living room, study room, meeting room, etc.
- 【Multi Function】 Pneumatic seat height adjustment; Tilt lock function(angle adjustable); 360 degree swivel; Solid rolling silencer casters for smooth movement.
- 【Easy to Assemble】 We offer installation instruction and video to help you. It usually takes about 10-20 minutes to assemble. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
7 Things to Consider When Looking For Small Office Chairs
1. Seat Height
The first thing to think about is the seat height of your office chair. You want to be able to have your knees at 90 degrees, with your feet flat on the floor. Most office chairs will have a seat height range of around 17 to 22 inches. This is going to be too tall for people who are five feet six inches and under.
You will need to find a chair with a minimum seat height of 16 inches if you are five-foot-six and 15 inches if you are five-foot-two. If you are shorter than five-foot-two, then you will want to find a chair that gets as low as 14 inches if you plan to have your feet flat on the floor.
2. Adding a Footrest
One super valuable tool for your workstation can be a footrest. Adding a footrest allows you to bring the floor up to your chair, instead of forcing your chair to go down to the floor. By doing this, you will make it much easier to achieve that 90-degree knee angle, while also opening the door to chairs with higher minimum seat height ranges. Most of the people in our office use a footrest, including myself.
3. Desk Height
Your desk height is another really important factor. You want your typing height to be about 8 inches above your seat height. If you are going to use a chair at 16 inches, then your desk needs to be able to go as low as 24 inches to accommodate an ergonomic position. Standard desk height is 30 inches, so there is quite a big difference there.
There are a few ways to help you accomplish this. The first is to go with the footrest discussed above. This can close the gap by a few inches by bringing your chair height closer to a standard height desk. The second is to get a height-adjustable desk that can lower to a position that is below the standard desk height. The final option is to add something to lower your keyboard, like a keyboard drawer or keyboard tray.
4. Seat Depth
The next thing to consider is seat depth. You want to be able to position the front of the seat to within 1 to 2 inches from the back of your knees. Most standard office chairs will have seats that are around 17 to 18 inches deep. This will be too large for short people.
If you are five-foot-six or under, you want to find chairs with minimum seat depths of 16 inches or less. Chairs with an adjustable seat depth range as low as 15 inches will be the best options to go with for this category.
5. Arm Width
The armrests will be another important factor to consider. You want to be able to hang your arms naturally at your sides and then place your elbows at a 90-degree angle. You do not want to have to angle your arms outward to reach the armrests. This can put unnecessary strain on your shoulders and neck.
Standard office chair arms will typically be about 17 to 18 inches apart. If you are under five feet six inches, you will want to look for arms that have a minimum width of 16 inches or less. For those of you in the five feet and under range, then arms as narrow as 13 inches will probably be what you want to look for.
6. Arm Height
Height is the second thing to look at when it comes to the armrests. You really want to make sure that the arms on the chair you want to buy have a range that will work for you. People that are under five feet six inches will want to have their arms about 9 inches above their seat to be able to achieve that 90-degree elbow angle. People who are five feet tall or under will want a minimum arm height of 7 inches or less.
Be careful when buying chairs with headrests if you are a short or petite person. We have found that headrests will often be in an awkward position for short people. Many headrests are designed to fit into the curve of your neck. If you are too short to use them properly, then the headrest just ends up pushing the back of your head forward.
The same thing can happen on chairs with more standard headrests. If you are too short to reach the intended headrest, then the chair will not be comfortable because it was not designed to fit you properly.
If you really want a headrest, then look for chairs that were specifically made for short people that also offer a headrest option. This should ensure that the headrest was designed for short people and will give you the best chance that it fits you properly.
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a smaller chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
What are the chair’s seat width and depth?
If you want to avoid constant discomfort, ensure that your chair isn’t too wide or too deep for your tiny body. Ideally, you’d wish the seat depth to be no more than 21-22″, and the shorter, the better.
What’s the chair’s seat height?
If you’re below 5,8”, then having a suitable seat height is a must. First, ensure your new office chair has an adjustable seat height to fit your petite body type. Ideally, you’d be looking for a chair that can go as low as 14 inches, or at least no more than 20”. However, if you don’t care whether your feet touch the floor or not, then you can go for any seat height.
Does the office chair have an ergonomic design?
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design for your height and helps you support a correct posture. Usually, such chairs feature adjustable lumbar support to help you feel more comfortable.
How much weight does it support?
While you can always buy a chair for kids to fit your shorter height, it doesn’t mean that the chair could support your weight. So it’s better to make sure the office chair you purchase is sturdy and durable.
Does the chair have a thick-padded cushion?
You might weigh less than taller people, but it’s still important to have a thick-padded cushion to sit on during your 8-hour workday. We also suggest opting for waterfall or curved seat cushions to decrease the pressure on your legs.
What type of backrest does the chair have?
Usually, you’ll come across mid-back petit office chairs as they’re more suitable for shorter people. However, some well-designed smaller office chairs can also have a high back and a headrest. So it’s really up to you and your preferences.
Is the chair compact?
If space is an issue for you, then you should opt for a chair with flip-up armrests or adjustable armrests. This feature will let you easily push it closer to the desk and make your home office look more spacious.
How adjustable is it?
If you have very particular preferences for your office chair and sitting arrangement, it’s better to choose a chair with as many adjustable features as possible, including seat depth and height, back height, tilt tension, etc.
What is it upholstered in?
Do you prefer a breathable mesh, textile, faux leather, or genuine leather petite office chair? This specification might affect the price, but it mostly depends on your preference and interior design requirements. As long as you ensure that the upholstery material is durable, you should be satisfied with your new office chair for short people.
Is the chair multifunctional?
If you like to use your office chair as a gaming chair or as an extra chair around the house, it’s always a good idea to go for a chair that can serve different purposes. This will save you from spending more money on buying other chairs.
The Benefits of an Office Chair for Short People
Choosing an ergonomic chair for short people isn’t always the same as selecting a regular office chair. Office chairs for a petite person offer some specific benefits than can greatly improve the overall comfort for short people and that’s why here we’ve listed some of the main pros that come with this kind of chairs:
- Wide range of adjustments: Ergonomic chairs for short people usually include a wide range of adjustments that allow the users to customize features such as the seat tilt or armrests height.
- Adjustable height: One of the most important benefits is the option to adjust the chair’s height. By adjusting the height, a short person can lower the chair as they see fit.
- Adjustable seat depth: Seat depth is often overlooked, however it is an essential part of your comfort because if the seat pan is too deep it might result in circulation problems for short people.
- Lumbar support: When talking about office chairs, lumbar support is always important as it allows you to keep a healthy posture when sitting.
- Armrests’ width: A petite person might find a chair’s armrests to be too far apart, resulting in an uncomfortable working experience. To solve the problem, some chairs let you adjust the armrests’ width.
Is a Petite Office Chair Worth It?
Picking a good office chair for short people can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its seat height, width, and depth. If the chair is too big for you, you’ll feel discomfort throughout your workdays and have less motivation and energy to finish your daily tasks.
Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every petite person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would be the most comfortable for your tiny body type.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs for short people will help you better understand all the main chair specifications and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
Best Desk Chair for Petite Person – One request that we have been getting quite a bit atis recommendations for chairs for short or petite people. It can be difficult to find small chairs. Manufacturer specs can often be tough to find, and even when you can, the choices are pretty limited.
Below is a list of five chairs that I feel are nice options if you need an office chair for a short or petite person. I am defining short as 5’ 6” and under. These chairs all feature dimensions that are smaller than standard office chairs.
If you’re looking for the best office chair for a shorter person, you’re in the right place. We’re here to help those with a petite body structure choose the most ergonomically suitable office chair for them.
If you’re a smaller person (under 5’3” for women and under 5’8” for men), you know the struggle of spending hours in a regular office chair. Not only can it make your workdays harder, but it also creates more back problems.
So, what are the best choices for petite people out there? In this guide, we’ll look at some of the best office chairs for shorter or petite people. We’ll be closely paying attention to such ergonomic details as seat height, depth, width, and chair size.
Read on if you’re tired of sitting on uncomfortable chairs that aren’t made for your petite body structure. Here are the best office chairs for short people you can find on the market.
I also recommend checking out my seven things to consider when shopping for these chairs; you can find them right after the final chair in the list. This information will help you on your quest to find a new office chair. It also helps to explain why I chose the chairs featured in this list.