Best Desk Chair for Tall People – If you’re a taller individual, it can be difficult to find an office chair that is meant for your frame. If your chair isn’t adjusted for your height, your thigh may be overly exposed past the seat’s edge, or you might be hunched over to work on your desk.
Sitting in a chair that doesn’t have a tall backrest or proper height adjustments can lead to poor posture and decreased productivity.
We’ve created a complete guide on the best office chairs for tall people and what key features to look for when shopping for a chair.
Office chairs are a very essential part of our daily lifestyle. As most of us have a desk job all day long, sometimes having an uncomfortable chair can ruin our posture and decrease our productive hours. It’s necessary to have the right chair for every person.
Finding an appropriate chair can be a daunting task. You could spend hours, even days, before finding the right chair for you. I have seen many posts on social media where people complain about not finding the right chair for them after searching for hours.
So, in this article, we have added 12 chairs that can fit a person’s height ranges from 6’1″ – 7’2″. We did our research to find the right chair for you, so you don’t need to spend hours looking for a chair that matches your height. With an appropriate chair, it will improve your posture and let you work productively for hours.
1.Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh
The very first chair in the list is an inspiring product that the rest of the list looks up to. This chair is dedicated and designed for tall people.
The chair has a naturally ergonomic aura featuring support from 4 different angles enough to cover your entire body. The mesh back chair has a built-in incline feature which will allow you to find your sweet spot with the backrest by easily adjusting it.
Additionally, the chair includes armrests which are easily adjusted up to 90 degrees only using the buttons. The mesh back is proved to be good for health as it regulates air through the chair and keeps you dry at all times.
The setup takes up to 20 minutes even if it is your first time. As a bonus, you get to have a 1-year warranty for this chair.
Pros & Cons
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chairs directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chairs good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
When selecting our favorite big and tall office chairs, we were looking for those that were sufficiently sized to accommodate larger users, provided plenty of comfort in terms of seating, back and armrests, and adjustable features, and were strong and durable enough to support taller users.
With that in mind, it should come as no surprise to learn that the XEUR Ergonomic Office Chair topped the chart for best tall-person friendly office chair of the year as it scored the highest marks in all of those categories, and then scored extra marks for looks, ergonomics, and superior seating quality.
First of all, there’s the size factor.
From the tip of the floor to the top of the headrest, the whole chair can extend to as tall as 62″ with an adjustable floor-seat height of between 18.5″ – 21.65″. Add in a seat width of 19.9″ and an adjustable seat depth of between 16.14″ and 17.71″ and what you’ve got here is a chair that’s very suited to those of a larger frame.
Pros & Cons
- ★【Ergonomic Office Chair】XUER office chair features an S-shaped backrest that fits your lumbar spine better, protecting your back and shoulders from pain and fatigue from prolonged sitting. W-shaped design sponge cushion, reduce the pressure on your legs, suitable for long-term sedentary work up to 8 hours a day.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Chair】Our computer chairs are made of high-quality mesh, which is resistant to abrasion and not easily deformed. The mesh backrest keeps the air flowing, refreshing and comfortable, so that the summer is not sweltering.
- ★【Adjustable Function】Compared to other desk chairs, we are more adjustable. 3.93 inch stepless height adjustment, 126° super-angle backrest tilt, PU lift armrest and adjustable headrest. Find the most comfortable sitting position for you.
- ★【High Quality】XUER home office desk chair has passed BIFMA and SGS test. Made from the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, it can support a weight of up to 330lbs. Rollerblade wheels let you move easily and protect your floors.
- ★【3-Years Warranty】The installation tools and instructions are in the carton, and the installation only takes 20 minutes. If the chair has quality problems, please contact us, we promise 3-years warranty and replace the damaged product accessories for you free of charge.
3.Oak Hollow Furniture Aloria
The Oak Hollow Aloria tops our list for the best office chair overall for tall people. If you’re 7’1” or below, this is one of the most solidly built, versatile and comfortable chairs you’ll encounter in the market today.
The Aloria (leather edition) actually ships with two cylinders to dictate the seat height based on your height. The taller cylinder translates into a seat height of 19” to 23”. Combined with an adjustable seat depth that can be extended all the way to 22.25” deep, and this checks off the two most important criteria for tall people that may also be big to feel comfortable- ample seat height and depth.
The Aloria also gets high marks from us in ergonomics. Besides the adjustable seat depth, the Aloria’s lumbar support can also move up and down to target the area of your lower back that needs support the most. The armrests are 4D and can be moved in and out, an especially important feature for tall people that may have wider shoulders. And finally, the backrest can both tilt and recline to relieve back tension. Oh, and it comes with a neck rest that pivots and goes up and down to support your head at various angles.
All of these adjustments paired with a genuine leather upholstery made of cowhide has one owner gleeing that this is “the most comfortable chair [he’s] ever owned “
The Oak Hollow Aloria passes our CAD test with flying colors – comfortable, adjustable, and durable – and as such tops our list for the best office chair for tall people.
Pros & Cons
- 【Genuine Leather Seat】 - The Aloria Series ergonomic office chair by Oak Hollow Furniture comes equipped with an upgraded, soft and supple genuine cowhide leather seat. Why buy a cheap PU or bonded leather chair that may contain harsh chemicals or wear down quickly? This upgraded genuine leather seat design is meant to withstand years of use in a working or home-office environment. Invest in your health with a chair that is intended to last with quality materials and a better ergonomic design.
- 【Adjustability Options】 - We've outfitted the Aloria Series office chair with a host of adjustability features, including the 4-way adjustable armrests, a padded lumbar support cushion that can be adjusted up and down, a synchro tilt mechanism which allows for 4 different locking positions, a free-float unlocked setting, tilt tension adjustment for greater control of the backrest, and seat depth adjustment for front and back positioning. Find the perfect settings and make this chair your own!
- 【Perfect Fit】 - This ergonomic office chair is designed to fit the majority of users comfortably! Choose your perfect cylinder height - We provide 2 different pneumatic seat height options so the chair will accommodate most height ranges. Short or tall, it will work for you! Find your perfect height setting, tilt options, backrest tension, and seat position to optimize your comfort in the Aloria Series office chair. Recommended weight limit of 300 lbs., and a wide range of supported heights!
- 【Sleek and Professional Design】 - Enhance your work space with the Aloria Series office chair - whether you are building a business from home or spending long days on the job, an Aloria office chair is the perfect addition to your office setup. These chairs are perfect as executive and managers chairs, conference room chairs, task chairs, or employee chairs. Whatever the goal, this chair is designed to improve & enhance your office and work space experience with sleek design and comfortability.
- 【Trusted Products and Service】 - Have peace of mind knowing your purchase is covered under the manufacturer warranty - Oak Hollow Furniture provides a lifetime warranty on the components and a 5 year limited warranty on the leather. We use high density molded foam for the interior and only the highest quality materials for our line of chairs. We believe an office chair should be an investment into your health and well-being, and we stick to this philosophy with our line of products.
The Gabrylly is an all-mesh ergonomic chair with a maximum seat height of 23”. That’s among the highest out there, and as such, is especially well suited for tall people looking for a relatively affordable, high backrest chair. Another noteworthy feature? An ultra wide headrest that spans almost the entire width of the backrest.
Several tall owners of the Sunnow have commented on just how comfortable the chair is for them. Indeed, this chair isn’t just tall (seat height between 19.3”to 23”), but the backrest is equally so. This ensures the neck rest can actually rise up high enough to fit under your cervical spine.
One owner that is 6’5” high says he’e never found a mesh chair as comfortable as the Sunnow, due in no small part to the specifications of the chair. He also praised the backrest recline feature on the chair.
Speaking of functions, the Sunnow is fairly robust in that department. The backrest can both tilt and recline (up to 135 degrees), and there is adjustable lumbar support that can move both up/down and in/out. The neck rest can be adjusted the same as well, and is wide enough to cradle your head even when you rotate it.
Pros & Cons
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair Customized To You】A rolling office chair adequately supports your spines and hugs your back. The large mesh back is composed with 2 parts, when you sit on the swivel desk chair, it can offer you proper lumbar support.
- 【Large & Tall Office Chair】For some user with longer thighs(5'8" to 6'3" tall), the SUNNOW ergonomic chair is a good choice. You can freely adjust the seat height and allow your feet touch the floor comfortable. Size of the whole chair(WxDxH): 26.4*26.4*45-49.8 in. Size of the seat(WxDxH): 19.5*17*19-23 in. Max capacity: 300 LBS.
- 【Adjustable Armrest & Headrest】MORE CUSTOMIZED ADJUSTMENTS. The 2D armrests glide up & down at 6 gears, rotate right & left. The headrest go up & down, rotate. Recline and lock the chair freely(90~120°), it allows you lock the computer task chair at 3 different positions.
- 【High-elastic & Breathable Mesh】GREAT QUALITY BUILD. The mesh back and mesh seat are breathable, relieve the trouble of sweating and provide long-lasting support. A good choice for 6-8 hrs work.
- 【Easy To Assemble】2-year warranty. Contains all required tools and user manual, it takes 20-25 minutes to assemble this ergonomic office chair. Any issue of assembly and function, just contact us for quick solutions.
With a breathable elastomer backrest that flexes to support your back in any position, the high tech Bowery Management chair can be seen in the offices of many Fortune 500 companies such as Apple and Disney. What makes this chair a great pick for tall people as well however is the decent height range and adjustable seat depth.
The Bowery chair comes with a maximum seat height of 22.5”. The seat depth is also adjustable, and when extended fully, measures around 20”. This makes the Bowery suitable for people below 6’6”.
Getting its design cues from Herman Miller, the Bowery is often spoken in the same breath as the Sayl chair. Apart from looking gorgeous in any office setting, the highlight of each chair is in the rubber elastomer backrest that contours automatically to the shape of your back as you sit to provide continuous support while remaining breathable. One owner of the Bowery with back pain praises the backrest for finally allowing him to sit for longer hours without pain.
The one drawback of the Bowery is the height of the backrest. At 22” high, it just falls short of being able to provide any head support for taller people. However, taken as a mid-back chair, the height works perfectly to not get in the way of your neck as you sit.
Pros & Cons
6.Alera ALEMT4610 Alera
Drafting chairs may be inherently tall, but most are not properly designed for big and tall users due to limitations in the components such as seat size and overall durability. This is where the Alera Mota separates itself from the herd. This is a drafting chair built for big and tall people, with the specs to back it up.
First off, the seat on the Alera Monta is really wide and deep, at 23″ x 20″. This lets even tall users sit without half of their thighs dangling off a small seat’s edge.
With a maximum seat height of 31”, it will accommodate even the tallest person with ease. The footring is extremely stable and can even be removed.
The Alera Mota has an incredible maximum weight capacity of 450 lbs. One owner that is 400 lbs backs up just how sturdy the chair is, saying it has shown zero signs of wear and tear after a year of continuous usage.
Whether you’re an NBA player or simply a tall person that needs a high chair for drafting or to pair up with your standing desk, the Alera Mota is one of the best options out there at the moment.
Pros & Cons
- Generously padded contoured seating ideal for the big and tall user
- Reinforced seating structure and steel base for maximum reliable support
- Enhanced padding and fabrics for extra support all day long
- Welded integrated footring for leg support
- Height-adjustable soft-padded T-arms for optimal arm positioning
Are you slouching without noticing?
The taller you are, the more back pain you will experience in your life. It has to do with the fact if you are higher up you have to reach farther down— which usually means slouching.
The worst time to be slouching is while relaxing for hours, such as while watching TV or working on the computer. While you are busy on the computer, your back is not being supported. You may notice when lying down to sleep that the lower back is always in an uncomfortable position. The reason for this: tall people slouch. The funny thing is, you don’t even notice it until one day when you feel aches and pains.
In some cases, this results in Herniated disks which cause intense pain. The pain may not always come from the damaged disk. It may be coming from the pressure that herniation place on the nerves outside the disc, which are highly sensitive. The pain increases the tightness in the back, stressing the discs out even more. This is how the cycle of chronic pain begins.
Why not take better care of your body?
It makes no sense why people don’t start thinking about how to support their backs at an earlier age. Bodies are fragile. It is human nature to need to slow down as we age and provide our physical body and mind with what it needs to function properly. We work out to keep our blood pressure low, eat a good diet to keep a healthy heart and take vitamins for extra nutrients. It’s curious how we spend so much time thinking about our health; yet forget to take care of our muscles, joints, and spine, which we rely on every day.
For those with long bodies, the back is one of the main physical areas that need attention. By reducing the amount of stress on the back with ergonomic chairs, back pain could be avoided in the future. In life, when we think in advance about our upcoming problems we can save time and energy, leading to a more successful career and feeling better all the while.
Any person at any age can get stronger. Anyone has the power to improve their body’s performance. And while some try improving their posture, it is often not that simple. Just like some of us need a treadmill in the basement to work off those extra pounds, a chair that is specially made for you is needed to prevent back pain.
8 hours per day on an uncomfortable chair
Most chairs are not made for tall people: if your chair is not adjustable, then it is not meant for your needs. As we well know, designers tend to make products for those of average height. As a result, people who are outside the normal range suffer from a product that is not well designed for their needs. The ergonomic chair allows for complete adjustment to customize the angle to best fit your back. This is especially a necessity for tall people so that the back can be lengthened and positioned to best support while typing.
In the workplace, hours of work every day require extra thought into how comfortable you are making your body. While you are working your mind by checking emails and making phone calls, you are also working your back without even realizing it. At an office job working on the computer, the average person spends eight hours sitting down in the same position. If this position is not a good one, then you are spending 40 hours a week slowly weakening your spine.
You may not have a choice of what chair you use while at work. However, at a home office, this should be the main consideration when choosing the furniture that will create a work environment in the home. When buying a chair that you want to last in your house for a long time, there is something to be said for going for quality. An ergonomic chair is a good investment, as it can be an essential part of your office for many years.
At the end of the day, don’t we deserve to be comfortable at work? There is enough stress in running a business. There’s no need to have the additional problem of being in an uncomfortable position during the workweek, and paying for it on the weekend when you want to enjoy yourself playing golf or going for a walk with friends.
Tips for Choosing an Office Chair for a Tall Person:
1. Check for the Ergonomic Features:
This is the most necessary tip out there. Not only for just tall people but also people who have desk jobs need to purchase office chairs with cool adjustable ergonomic features as most people spend more than 6 hours on average sitting per day.
Adjustable ergonomic features can help you to reduce back pain. So I have given more emphasis on ergonomic features while listing the above chairs for you.
So, before buying any office chair, check for some required ergonomic features below:
- Adjustable Height
- Arm Rests
- Adjustable Lumbar Support
- Adjustable Seat Depth
- Adjustable Back Rest
- Adjustable Seat Tilt
2. Find an Office Chair With Suitable Weight Capacity and Seat Height :
As a tall person, the seat height of a chair can be one hell of an issue. Most office chairs in the market are made for people of average size.
So, check for the seat height for your height properly before buying any office chair to see if that chair can support your height and weight.
3. Ensure that the chair is stable:
Office chair stability is of great importance. If you buy an office chair, you have to check if that chair is well stable and sturdy. If the chair is stable enough, your sitting experience will be good.
On the other hand, a moderately stable or unstable chair can hamper your sitting experience, and you will not be able to sit at a stretch for long hours in such a chair.
5. Look for 360 Degree swivel:
This feature is very common and important in office chairs these days. The 360-degree swivel option allows you to rotate around and pick up nearby things easily without getting up from your chair. Having this feature can be very interesting and helpful for people with desk jobs who spend long hours sitting at the desk. So, look for this feature while purchasing an office chair.
Average Pricing of Chair for Tall Person:
The average price of an office chair for a tall person is around 200-500 dollars. Chairs that support a wide range of adjustable heights are not that available in the market right now.
Only a few office chairs are available which are comfortable enough for tall people. That is why the average price of these chairs is a little higher. So when you buy an office chair for yourself, you have to be careful about it.
If you are still confused about determining the right size of office chair for yourself, I have written a dedicated article about What Office Chair Size Should You Get For Your Height? Go check it out. You will also find a seat height calculator there which might help you to sit more comfortably.
On this blog, we have carefully added 12 chairs that you can choose from. We did sufficient research to find the best chair that can accommodate taller people properly and tried to make a list of the best office chairs for tall people in the market right now. All of the chairs above offer different features at different prices. We have considered the best ones with a good price to performance ratio.
If you find any good chair that is comfortable for a tall person, please share it with us. We will definitely add that chair to our list.
Please do share your thoughts in the comments below. If you think we have missed some chairs worth mentioning, please feel free to let us know.
Ergonomics can be defined as improving the efficiency of your work environment. For chairs, that means features that allow you to be more productive. This means ensuring a healthy posture, improving circulation, and adjusting your position to one that suits you. For example, using a memory foam cushion is ergonomic because it reduces your tailbone and spine pressure, allowing you to focus. The more pressure that builds up, the more uncomfortable you’ll feel.
We’ll cover the specific ergonomic features in-depth below. However, your office chair should contain plenty of adjustment controls such as armrest adjustments, seat height, depth, lumbar, headrest, and more. Most chairs we’ve chosen were crafted in a way to make working for long hours as comfortable as possible.
As technology advances, chairs are adding unique features to their back support to prevent back pain. After reviewing hundreds of chairs, we’ve noticed a few distinct features that stand out.
Some backrests have flexibility at the top where they can bend. This forgiveness encourages more movement while sitting and improves your posture. Sitting back slightly reduces the pressure on your spine, and leaning back allows your upper back muscles to rest. Researchers have found that a 135-degree reclining angle puts the least amount of stress on your spine and drastically reduces the risk of back pain. That’s why any back support with recline can go a long way to preventing health problems.
Another aspect of a backrest is lumbar support. A lumbar cushion helps to promote healthy posture by supporting the curve of your spine. This keeps your back upright and prevents you from slumping forward.
You’ll also find that many premium office chairs have back support that contours to your movements. For example, the Steelcase Leap backrest changes shape as you move, and it will support your spine even when changing positions. Also, consider the material for your backrest. Mesh and fabric tend to be more breathable and allow for ventilation. In contrast, leather upholstery is prone to heat buildup, but more padding is used underneath the leather material for enhanced comfort.
Most people only care about a chair’s aesthetics and features while totally disregarding its build quality. The quality of the chair often determined its durability. A chair’s build quality extends to all the components of a chair, including its base, seat cushion, fabric, armrests, and more. Cheaper chairs tend to use elements of plastic components in the base and armrests. Instead, look for chairs with a steel frame and aluminum alloy base since they are designed to last potentially over a decade.
Another aspect of building quality is the upholstery. No matter if you prefer leather, mesh, or fabric, they all have cheaper low-quality alternatives. For example, some chairs use cheap vinyl fabric to cut costs. They usually are prone to tears, have a cheap look to them, and feel a little rough on the skin. In contrast, polyester material is softer on the skin, abrasion-resistant, and very breathable. Even if mesh and leather material, the same applies. The NeueMesh used in the NeueChair uses a three-layered mesh fabric that has undergone multiple strength and abrasion resistance tests.
The padding is another factor for build-quality. The higher the foam density, the more it can hold up to weight and retain its shape. The best type of foam is high-resilience foam and memory foam.
Besides the quality in material and foam density, look for chairs where the manufacturers offer a long guaranteed warranty. For instance, Herman Miller and Steelcase offer a whopping 12-year warranty on their chairs, and Secretlab offers five years. Many low-quality chairs will only provide a one-year warranty. This demonstrates their lack of belief in their product.
Best Desk Chair for Tall People – Tall people are at an increased risk of injury: The further you are from the ground, the harder a fall is on your body and the more likely it is that you will get injured. Even if your body is strong, no one can fight gravity. And as a result, the back and neck are common places of injury that can ruin your day.
Poor posture can cause injury over time: Poor spine posture occurs more with tall people due to manufactured objects that are not specially fitted for all heights. Tall people also have less relative strength in the back that causes an eventual deviation from the neutral spine posture. The result is a sudden or gradual pain that may have been building up over years.
A bent spine from hunching: A deviation from spine posture happens when the spine is in a constant state of bending. This is a problem because the pressure that is applied unevenly to the spine affects the discs. This uneven pressure pushes the soft contents that cushion each disc to the side, which sometimes creates a herniated disc (usually at a later age. These issues are caused by constantly hunching day-to-day over the computer or at a physical job.