Best Ergonomic Chair for Neck Pain – Finding the best office chair for neck pain and shoulder pain can be quite challenging. In this guide we share the most comfortable and obtainable budget ergonomic chairs that can help you with that.
Down below I list 9 top rated office chairs followed by the guide on what you should look for when buying a chair for neck, correct sitting postures and even exercises for reducing neck pain.
Scroll down and let’s get started with these best ergonomic office chairs for neck and shoulder pain!
There are many reasons why you experience neck pain at work, one of them being your office chair. A chair without a headrest or one that is poorly positioned can add tremendous stress to the cervical spine, leading to neck pain over time.
In this buyer’s guide we looked at over 40 office chairs to come up with the best ones for neck pain. Besides offering superb neck support, they also meet our other requirements for what a great ergonomic chair should have.
The award-winning Gesture chair from Steelcase is one of the finest ergonomic chairs money will buy, and that’s saying something because Steelcase has some solid chair options and is our Editor’s pick.
This revolutionary new office chair is designed to accommodate various natural body positions and sizes, all while supporting and protecting the back and neck.
Gesture uses exclusive LiveBack technology that automatically adjusts to your body, mimicking the natural movement of your spine and neck.
Struggle with certain chairs because the armrests box you in? That won’t be a problem with this chair, as you can easily manipulate how the rests are positioned. Nobody wants to feel pinched in their chair. The arms can also swivel with 360 degrees of motion, literally supporting your arms in any possible position.
This design has a slightly taller seat height option. It can raise up to 21 inches, which should be fine for most individuals, even if you are over six feet (although once you push 6’6 you might be too tall for the chair). Most office chairs stop at 20 inches, so this extra inch might be exactly what you need.
Gesture won the Neocon Gold award in 2013 and is available in eight different colors, so you can always feel good about how your chair looks as well as how it functions.
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
With full adjustability, top-tier materials, and being specifically engineered to provide maximum comfort, this is, in my humble opinion, the best ergonomic office chair available on the current market.
Digging through the weeds, you’ll discover this chair’s LiveBack technology will bring you a level of office comfort you’ve never experienced before. It doesn’t matter if you are sitting, reclining, working on the computer, or reading a book, it will always shift to meet the needs of your body (if only everything else in life could do that).
Not only does the Leap Chair conform to your body and move with you in ways no other chair does, but it is also sustainably produced. No less than 30% of the chair is made from recycled materials, and over 90% of the chair is recyclable — meaning that when this chair does finally give out, the materials can be reused, providing minimal environmental fallout.
Pros & Cons
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 5 position recline lock, upholstered back and seat
- All day comfort and back support - Leap's contoured backrest changes shape as you move to support your entire spine, ensuring long-term comfort
- Quality & durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
3.X-Chair X4 High
While ratings may mean little to some, I find it hard to believe that thousands of Amazon shoppers have had nothing but words of praise for X4 if it’s not actually an exceptional product. This encouraged me to cover the features, potential benefits, and the reasons why it’s one of the top-selling chairs out there.
Featuring an exquisite brown leather finish and utilizing an array of unique technologies, most of my questions were answered quickly. This chair rocks SciFLoat Infinite Recline technology, which is essentially a next-generation system that provides superb flexibility, allowing you to find an ideal position quickly.
Full adjustability? Check. Its seat, back, arms, and headrest are all depth and height adjustable. Even though you can’t adjust its lumbar support, the DVL (Dynamic Variable Lumbar support) technology ensures you’ll stay comfy for hours on end.
In terms of aesthetics, this chair is quite a looker and is available in a variety of different colors. There are a few things I thought could be improved regarding X-4, though.
First and most notably, it may be pretty hard to properly assemble it if you don’t have some basic DIY skills. Although the process is straightforward, there are a few features that you’ll probably see for the first time, which may puzzle an inexperienced builder a bit.
Secondly, the X4 Ergonomic Office Chair is a pricey chair. With a couple of hundred dollars extra, you could probably afford a Steelcase one. Even so, its aesthetics, unique floating reclining system, and excellent performance overall make it a valuable choice.
Pros & Cons
- DYNAMIC LOWER BACK SUPPORT: X-Chair’s patented Dynamic Variable Lumbar (DVL) Support adjusts itself to your lower back every time you move. DVL will respond to your needs, no matter your size or weight to support you throughout the day. You won’t get this from any other chair.
- HIGHLY RESPONSIVE LEATHER FABRIC: Our comfortable, shiny leather fabric is both buttery soft and highly responsive to your body’s needs. Plus, you’ll have the best looking chair in the conference or boardroom.
- FLOATING RECLINE: Our one of a kind SciFloat Infinite Recline technology lets you lean back and up effortlessly to find the perfect position to float in.
- ADJUST IT JUST HOW YOU LIKE: Your seat height, seat depth, backrest, armrests and headrest all can be adjusted to fit comfortably around you.
- BUILT TO LAST: Whether it’s the polished aluminum frame, cushion, or quality fabric, all of X4’s features are highly durable and built to last long.
The Aeron is based on the biomorphic principles of the body for ultimate comfort and comes in varying size options, which means you can pick out the height for you. Because let’s face it, nobody has the same body type. Whether you’re tall, short, somewhere in between, or you have other chair requirements, one-size-fits-most chairs might not do it for you.
If you run hot, and leather or foam seats don’t cut it for you, then Aeron is the best mesh-back chair you can get for hot working conditions. Not only is this chair made from a breathable material, but it is also designed specifically for back support. Having been in the market since 1994, we are confident in this recommendation as the chair is known to be quite durable, lasting a decade or more for most users.
Pros & Cons
- Size B
Ergroup’s ergonomic office chair is the first mesh chair on the list, as well as one of the sturdiest, best-looking chairs in its price range.
Sporting a metal base and aluminum construction, I’m under the impression that this chair will be able to survive at least a decade of use. Furthermore, it can support up to 550 pounds, which is something not many mesh ergonomic chairs can boast about.
Speaking of mesh, this chair is made of a material that is highly resistant to wear. According to the brand that made it, Ergroup’s ergonomic office chair went through thousands of resistance tests before hitting the market.
All of its features are fully adjustable, including the armrests, headrest, and lumbar support, but I want to touch base on its rolling caster wheels. They are unique in that they are outfitted with special foot mufflers that reduce the sound they make when grinding against the floor. Each wheel is covered with PU material, boasting an impeccable level of sturdiness without sacrificing mobility and flexibility.
The only downside to this chair is that it does not appear to be made for taller people. Namely, even though you can adjust the headrest, you can’t really extend it too far upward, which makes this feature relatively useless for the taller among us.
Pros & Cons
- 【HIGH QUALITY】ERGOUP Butterfly office chairs have been tested strictly and certified by BIFMA,SGS and SAFEGUARD.Eco-friendly materials can be collected for recyling use.Each part passed strict high quality test,cushion impact test,armrest press test,backrest tilt durability test,caster wheels overload moving test,etc.
- 【QUICKER ASSEMBLY】Each chair comes with tools and user instructions.Chair upper body is installed in box already.It'll be much easier to put other spare parts together which takes 3-5 minutes only.
- 【COMFORTABLE LONG TIME SITTING 】Full mesh seat and back brings breathable experience,avoid your sitting area and back getting stuffy sweat.High strength mesh resists wear and transformation.It's suitable for 8 hours or longer sitting each day.
- 【3-DIMENSIONAL HEADREST】Headrest height and angle meet your basic requirements. ERGOUP Butterfly Chair headrest can move forward-backward,perfectly meeting your neck curve during lunch break and working condition.
- 【QUICKER PADDLE SHIFT CONTROL】ERGOUP adheres to the design concept of people-oriented. In the control design of lift armrest,it breaks the traditional office chairs operation design,inherits the design concept of the top car gear,use the simple control of the paddle shift armrest to adjust seat height and backrest tilt quicker and more convenient.
- 【AUTO SITTING POSTURE ADAPT SYSTEM】With A'PAS System,the chair backrest tilting can be intelligently and automatically adjusted within 23 degree for different people's height,weight,sitting posture to reach the user's most comfortable position,and this angles can be locked also.
- 【SYNCHRONOUS SLIDING STRUCTURE】The engineers of ERGOUP developed & researched the Sync-sliding Structure.The gravity of the chair will move forward when backrest tilt drive the seat moving forward,which can ensure the safety and comfort at same time.
- 【160 DEGREE TILT.16 POSITION LOCK】 Chairback tilt angle up to 160 degrees which can comfort your lunch break better. It can be locked in 16 different positions.More accurate adjustment will comfort your different sitting posture for working,leisure and rest conditions.
- 【SUPER THICK ALUMINIUM CHAIRBACK BRACKET LINK】Whole chair weight bearing up to 550LBS.Super thick aluminium chair back brace is much more stronger than plastic and suitable for high weight people.Besides aluminium is a more durable material which is never rusty and anti-corrosion.Just feel free to recline from now on.
- 【30 DAYS FREE EXPERIENCE.5 YEAR WARRANTY】After you receive the ergonomic chair, if you feel uncomfortable after long time sitting. Just feel free to return the chair without any reasons. Different people has different spine curve structure. We always have one design suitable for you,We provide 5-year warranty time after purchasing. Once your chair get any quality problem,please contact us and we’ll provide solutions. There’s no worry for purchasing in our store.
The ErgoPro chair is a lighter alternative to Ergroup’s model, offering a relatively similar set of features and benefits at a shallower price tag. Although there are a couple of distinct differences that set them apart, NouHaus’s ErgoPro is still an excellent choice for anyone searching for customized comfort, regardless of budget.
I was pleasantly surprised with its SWS technology, which is essentially a weight-sensing mechanism that disperses the user’s weight in optimal proportion, regardless of how strong the force pressuring it is. On the downside, it can only support 275 pounds of weight, which is still fairly good.
In terms of durability, its base is made of high-quality aluminum while the back is made of breathable mesh fabric. More specifically speaking, NouHaus’s proprietary ElastoMesh forms this chair’s back, offering excellent sweat-resistance, elasticity, and comfort.
Unlike ordinary ergonomic chairs, this model features proprietary Pro Wheels, which are super-silent and offer a comfortable sitting experience.
Four-dimensional armrests, the headrest, and dynamic lumbar support are all fully adjustable. However, I found that the armrests are a bit too petite for my taste. Be that as it may, this is a wonderful chair that’s worth the buck, despite its minor imperfections.
Pros & Cons
- AN UPGRADE ON AN ALREADY GREAT CHAIR: Search “Ergo3D” on the internet, and you’ll find our chair in all the top 10 office chair lists on page one. So, because you loved this desk chair so much, we created a functional luxury upgrade with smooth, silent Nouhaus PRO Wheels, and adjustable everything!
- ROOM TO MOVE: For those of us with longer thighs, the ErgoPRO is a gift. In fact, it’s a fully adjustable office chair for every height! 2:1 Synchronized Weight Sensing Multifunctional Line Mechanism lets you tilt back, and sit back with plenty of room, while Dynamic Lumbar Support responds to the pressure of your body as you tilt. Seat Depth Adjust also allows you to slide forward and back for ideal seat depth position.
- THE FUTURE OF WHEELS: Nouhaus PRO Wheels are like roller blade wheels, but instead with a very cool hollow center. Silent PU and smooth aluminum rims glide across hardwood, polished concrete, tiles, and make easy work of softer surfaces. This is a world first for office chair wheels ; Lucky you.
- TOTAL NECK AND ARM SUPPORT: When it comes to desk chairs with wheels and arms AND headrests, it’s usually the height of a person that is neglected. But not on the ErgoPRO! 4D Adjustable Armrests glide up/down, forward/back, side to side, and rotate right/left, while the adjustable head rest glides up and down, and tilts back and forwards. And they auto lock into place for full support and comfort.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: The ErgoPRO is easy to put together and comes with tools and instructions. It weighs only 49.2lbs! Available in Black, Grey, Burgundy and Blue; why not try this upgraded “top-10 chair” now before we run out.
Things to Consider When Buying an Office Chair for Neck Pain
When it’s time to choose which office chair for neck pain you’re going to order, there are a few things you need to compare and evaluate first.
The most important thing in preventing neck pain is to maintain proper posture. As such, the key features in an office chair that are most effective in preventing and reducing chronic neck pain are ones that encourage a good sitting position.
Head and Neck Support
Let’s start with the most obvious – head and neck support. There are two types of neck support commonly found on ergonomic office chairs.
The first is a fixed headrest that spans the width of the entire backrest. Typically found on executive office chairs, it consists of a protruding pillow that can be very comfortable, provided it is the right height.
The second type of neck support comes in the form of an articulated headrest that is shaped and curved to conform to the user’s cervical spine. If you have neck pain, it’s vital that any articulated headrest is at least height adjustable to support the exact region of your neck that needs extra support. Otherwise, it could exasperate your condition.
The lower part of the spine naturally curves inward to create what is called the lordotic curve. A lumbar support fills in the gap between the backrest and the spine to prevent slouching, which can lead to a forward head posture over time.
Look for a chair with a good lumbar support, which can greatly help prevent postural problems that cause not just neck pain, but shoulder and back pain as well.
There are three types of lumbar support that can be found in office chairs:
- Fixed Lumbar Support: Typically found on lower end chairs, it cannot be adjusted to better fit the user.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: For this type, the height, depth, or firmness of the lumbar support can be manually adjusted.
- Dynamic Lumbar Support: The best out of the three, it automatically adjusts its depth and firmness depending on your position.
A lumbar support depth of 0.6 to 2” is sufficient for most people. However, since women have a more pronounced lordotic curve, a better choice for them would be an office chair with a deeper lumbar support. If you’re on the tall side, a taller lumbar support is ideal.
When talking about neck pain prevention in the office, the armrests are probably one of the last things that you’ll think of. However, lack of arm support or poorly placed arms while working can lead to shoulder pain, which can then travel to the neck.
The proper arm position is such that the forearms are parallel to the desk surface, with the elbows assuming a 90 – 100 degree open angle. At this position your arms and shoulders are most relaxed.
To achieve this posture, look for office chairs with armrests that are at least 2D (height adjustable).
Robust Seat Height
Another feature that you’ll want in an office chair for neck pain is robust seat height control. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a seat height adjustment range of 15 to 22” works for most people. The reason for this as it relates to neck pain is the same as armrest height adjustment.
When your desk is too high, you move your shoulders up and raise your hands, wrists, and forearms to reach the right height. However, staying in this position for too long will strain your neck muscles and eventually cause headaches as the suboccipital muscles at the bottom of your skull get fatigued.
On the other hand, when your desk is too low, your neck and upper body flexes forward, shortening your suboccipital muscles and causing headaches, neck pain, and muscle spasm.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
What type of headrest does it have?
While we noted that headrest isn’t a deal-breaker, it’s still good to have an option to use it and give your neck even more support. Some office chairs come with either adjustable/removable or built-in headrests. Which one you should choose depends on your preferences and height. We recommend opting for an adjustable headrest to ensure it’s not too low for your neck if you’re on the taller side. In addition, some chairs offer headrests that you can move up and down, back and forward, and change the tilt angle.
Is the seat cushion comfortable?
Yes, the comfort of your neck depends on your body’s overall experience when sitting. An ergonomically designed seat cushion that encourages you to sit straight and takes away pressure from your legs will definitely contribute to you feeling less tired at the end of your workday. Thick-padded waterfall or W-shaped seat cushions are some of the best options on the market.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
Suppose you really want to ensure the most comfortable seating position. In that case, a seat depth can give these extra adjustability options to ensure the lumbar support is actually “hugging” your spine in the right way. This feature is especially useful if you’re shorter.
Does it have adjustable armrests?
You might not think that armrests are an important feature of an office chair for neck pain. However, keeping arms in a proper position can help maintain good posture, prevent shoulder pain, and contribute to better rest in between work sprints. So even if you don’t use armrests often, it’s still a good thing to have them in case you ever change your mind and decide to test them out and see how it improves your experience.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
What are the best brands for ergonomic office chairs?
Some of the best brands for ergonomic office chairs are AmazonBasics and Herman Miller. This does not mean that an off-brand chair won’t serve you well, but these brands have plenty of reviews and hefty warranties backing up their quality.
What is the most comfortable ergonomic chair?
The most comfortable ergonomic home office chair may be on the higher end of the price spectrum, but that does not mean less expensive chairs are a bad bargain. In our opinion, the Serta Mid-Back Office Chairs is one of the most comfortable ergonomic chairs available around. However, the Embody Chair by Herman Miller and many more follow close behind.
What is the best office chair for sitting for long hours?
The best office chairs for sitting long hours should come with key features of adjustable seat arms and height and a design that mimics the curves of your body. This article features some of the best ergonomic office chairs for your back.
Which chair is the best for your back?
Ergonomic office chairs with adjustable arms and seat height and a curvy back that aligns with your spine are the best chairs for your back. Adjustable lumbar support also acts as a guarantee of pain-free working days to come.
What are the best ergonomic office chairs for back pain?
The Serta Mid-Back Office Chairs and the Embody Chair by Herman Miller are some of the most comfortable ergonomic chairs for your back.
What is the best Orthopedic office chair?
The Serta Mid-Back Office Chair and Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair are some of the best orthopedic office chairs.
What is the best high-back ergonomic office chair?
The Steelcase gesture chair, Steelcase Series 2 Office Chair, and the Herman Miller chairs are designed to support a wide variety of body sizes. They provide both low and high back positions, making them a winner for most people.
If you work at a desk day in and day out, you definitely need to invest in a good ergonomic chair for the sake of your health and comfort.
As discussed above, Herman Miller chairs are top-notch and backed by years of research and testing (see here). If these are out of your price range, we’ve covered a whole lot of others, so make sure to keep this guide on hand when making a purchase.
Do share in the comments below and let us know which chair you like the most. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
How to Reduce Neck Pain While Sitting At a Desk Or When Using a Laptop
Neck pain appears from prolonged sitting while maintain a posture that is incorrect. To get rid of it you have to set up the monitor all the way up to your eye level so that it’s right in front of you and you are not looking down. This is by far the most significant adjustment you have to make.
So if you are using a laptop, you should ideally have these:
- a laptop stand (this thing would actually elevate the monitor all the way to your eye level)
- a separate keyboard and mouse (as you won’t really be able to use the ones on your laptop)
You should also have your ergonomic chair setup in the correct manner. Make sure it’s:
- Big enough for your frame (especially the backrest)
- Setup up according to your body type (e.g. knees and elbows at 90 degrees)
It is also recommended to take regular breaks and actually get up from your ergonomic office chair. If you get up every half an hour and spend a few minutes standing, that would go long way not only towards your neck health but towards your overall health.
Best Ergonomic Chair for Neck Pain – Neck pain can be caused by many things, and sitting in an office chair all day long is one of them. If you experience fatigue and pain, it’s likely that your current office chair doesn’t provide you with proper back and neck support. And since you’re reading this right now, you probably already figured it out.
However, just a headrest isn’t enough to ensure your shoulders and neck are fully protected. If your chair doesn’t help you maintain correct posture throughout the workday, it means your spine is in the wrong position, and, as a result, your neck as well.
A good chair can mean many things. So on a chair shopping trip average Joe told plain Jane that he had his eyes set on this really good one at a stall they passed through, made out bamboo branches and chopsticks. Aesthetically sound, too, or at least to those that longed for an eastern dream.
Jane decided to try it out, after eleven creaks and body turns to keep a stable and to show that she cared, she smartly asked if it was cheap, and if it was, they should buy it. Joe’s face turned bright as day, since he was usually the one who paid. So a good chair in Joe and Jane’s mind is one that is cheap and won’t create cracks in their financial stability. It also must pass the eye test, which is looking pretty enough.
A good chair can also be viewed from a technical standpoint, the level of quality of the things that make it, you know, a chair. There are a lot of factors that can instantly turn a chair from good to bad, for example a chair that has a good back support but poorly designed seating, which dulls its strong point since a back support, or backrest, is a very big part of the chair. Other components are required to function just as well in order to correct the users into a more natural posture.