Best Ergonomic Chair for Short Person – After conducting extensive research, we nominated the Flash Furniture Mid-back Ergonomic Office Chair as our Top Pick for the best office chair for short people. We liked this office chair because it’s an ergonomic mesh-combination chair with a breathable backrest with built-in lumbar support and a padded cushioned seat. The pneumatic height controls allow for seat height adjustment between 17 to 21 inches, and you can still adjust the arms and backrest too.
One request that we have been getting quite a bit atis recommendations for chairs for short or petite people. It can be difficult to find small chairs. Manufacturer specs can often be tough to find, and even when you can, the choices are pretty limited.
Below is a list of five chairs that I feel are nice options if you need an office chair for a short or petite person. I am defining short as 5’ 6” and under. These chairs all feature dimensions that are smaller than standard office chairs.
I also recommend checking out my seven things to consider when shopping for these chairs; you can find them right after the final chair in the list.
If you’re looking for exceptional comfort and minimalistic design, the Flash Furniture mesh back office chair will fit the bill and your office space.
This petite office chair features a ventilated curved mesh back with built-in lumbar support that prevents overheating. This doesn’t only help you stay fresh during hot days, but it also lets you keep a correct posture throughout your shift. Moreover, a 3-inch padded waterfall seat relieves pressure from the legs while providing cushioning for long workdays.
You can also set the chair’s height as low as eight inches from the floor, perfectly fitting your body structure. The list of goodies this office chair offers doesn’t stop here. You’ll also be delighted with padded flip-up armrests and a convenient footrest that will instantly take your workstation to the next level.
This Flash Forniture chair features a tilt lever that can be pushed in to lock the backrest in an upright position, or alternatively it can be pulled out to activate the rocking motion.
However, the only flow you might notice in this chair is that the height of the armrests can’t be adjusted. But at least you can flip them up, right? In any case, if armrests bother you or you’re just looking for a space saving chair, then you might want to take a look at the armless office chairs we’ve reviewed.
- If you're seeking exceptional seating comfort for yourself or multiple employees this ergonomic mesh back office chair will fit the bill. Everyone from the CEO to the front office staff will enjoy working in comfort with this office task chair.
- SAFETY & COMFORT: Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17. Ventilated curved mesh back with built-in lumbar support prevents overheating, 3" padded waterfall seat relieves pressure from the legs while providing cushioning for long workdays
- HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE: Pneumatic height adjustable 360 degree swivel seat, Tilt lever - push in to lock in an upright position; pullout to activate rocking motion, Tilt tension knob controls tilt resistance, Functional flip-up arms allow ease of access
- VERSATILE USE: Commercial grade material and quality creates a superior chair that can be used in home offices, commercial business work spaces, college dorm rooms and student study spaces in the home
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 24.5"W x 25.5"D x 37.5-41.25"H. Seat Size: 20.25"W x 19"D x 17.25-20.75"H. Back Size: 17-20"W x 23"H. Arm Size: 26.25-30.25"H from floor; 8"H from seat
2.Ergousit Home Office Chair
This office chair for petite people by Ergousit features an interesting butterfly shaped backrest design that not only enhances your overall comfort while sitting, but it is also made to fit most interior styles. More specifically, the S-curve back frame perfectly adapts to the human body, fitting the spine and ultimately allowing you to sit for several hours each day without experiencing any pressure or discomfort.
The chair has a ton of adjustable features included which help you find and keep a comfortable seating position. That’ll help you reduce back and neck pain. These adjustments include height customization, which allows the chair to go as low as 15”, and a rocking mechanism that lets the chair tilt from 90 degrees to 110 degrees. Plus, the curved headrest, made of mesh fabric, provides head and neck support while you work.
As for the seat cushion, included in the chair we found a thick cushion made of high-density foam that is supposed to keep its original W-shaped design to provide a larger support area while dispersing pressure on your hips and legs.
Last but not least, the breathable mesh used on the backrest enhances air circulation to prevent heat from accumulating.
As a negative note, we noticed that if you sit in the chair leaning all the way back the armrests might result too far apart to actually be 100% comfortable.
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair with Lumbar Support】Its ergonomic back design provides good lumbar support to minimize back problems and encourage good posture. No need to worry about Full-time work caused horrible ergonomic issues with unsupported posture and position. Simple shape, exquisite appearance suitable for any occasion-office, meeting room, home.
- 【Solid Home Office Construction】explosion-proof hydraulic cylinder at international standards, heavy-duty metal base with smooth-rolling castors make a superb stable structure. No squeaks either when reclining back and forth or swiveling. (Maximum weight capacity: 250LBS)
- 【Convenient Flip-up Armrest】Another plus with this desk chairs are having the armrests Flip-up, it's a great feature to have to depend on your situation. Being able to lift up the arms makes it easy to tuck in and store under a table or desk easily saving precious space.
- 【Breathable Mesh Back and Comfortable Seat Cushion】The cushioning of the seat and the netted comfortable back of the home office desk chairs are all made of upgrade materials. High-density mesh is very breathable and not easy to tear. The large and thick seat cushion is made of high-quality foam, which is high resilience and never deform.
- 【Well packaged and quick delivery】All parts are packaged well with the bubble wrap protected it well enough, ensuring all the parts are intact with no damage to the fabric or structure. Our professional delivery service guarantees that the chair will be delivered as soon as possible.
- 【Great Customer Service and Easy Assemble Computer Chairs 】We provide 5 year warranty and 24 hour online customer service, if you have any issue with our chairs, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is equipped with easy installation tools and clear Instructions. You only need 10 mins to assemble it.
3.KOLLIEE Mid Back Mesh
Other than offering a variety of customizable features, this petite chair by Kolliee caught our attention thanks to its good price for value ratio. For less you can purchase an ergonomic office chair with an adjustable height mechanism that can make the chair go as low as 15” to help you find the most comfortable position to work in.
Speaking of comfort, the chair was designed with a human-oriented ergonomic construction, meaning that the lumbar support will provide back support throughout the day to effectively reduce sitting-related back pain or stress.
The backrest is entirely made of high-density mesh to allow air to circulate freely, while the seat provides a high-resilience foam cushion to keep pressure off your legs. Compared to other foam cushions we’ve found during our search for the best office chair for short people, we think this one is quite durable and built to last without losing its shape over time.
Lastly, we’d like to mention that even though the armrests aren’t adjustable nor padded, they can be flipped up in case you need to store the chair or if they just bother you while working.
- SWIVEL, ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT MESH OFFICE CHAIR: 360 degree swivel, adjustable height mechanism, flip up armrests.
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR: This office chair designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction, providing back support to reduce back pain caused by long time sitting.
- HIGH QUALITY OFFICE CHAIR: Our office chair is high quality, environmentally that comes from a responsible manufacturer.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY MATERIALS: American-made high density mesh, high resilience foam cushion, high quality gas lift cylinder. All materials are in good quality, durable, and not easy to deform.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Our office chair is easy to install. We offer installation instruction and video to help you.
4.FelixKing Ergonomic Desk Chair
If you’re looking for a compact office chair with a sleek design and easy to store, then the FelixKing office chair will be one of your top choices.
Featuring an ergonomic S-shaped curve design, this chair will help you relieve stress and relax muscles even when working full-time at your desk. And thanks to 90-degree rotating and padded armrests, you’ll find it easy to use this chair and store it quickly.
You can forget about ruining your floor since the FelixKing offers abrasion-resistant and very durable casters, but if you want to be absolutely sure you can always think about purchasing one of the best office chair mats to protect your hardwood floors against any possible scratch.
Back to the ergonomic features of the chair, by adjusting the lumbar support you can change the position of the support point on your lower back. In addition, the height of the upper and lower back can be adjusted by about 1.6 inches, which should let you adjust this office chair for your specific body structure.
As for the reclining feature, the backrest offers a 30 degree recline to comfortably lean back, while the pressure-resistant structure is designed to reduce pressure on your body as well as improve blood flow.
However, while the double-layer mesh back is breathable and strong, it might feel a bit uncomfortable if you touch it with your bare skin.
- [ Multi-Function ] The height of the chair can be adjusted according to the height of the desk and the height of the person sitting on it. It also features 360 degree rotation. With the feature of 30 degrees of recline and structure of distributing the pressure-resistant, it can reduce your body's pressure. Promote your own blood circulation.A durable caster can be easily moved elsewhere.
- [ Comfortable Surface ] The surface of FelixKing’s chair is composed of high-density natural sponge which is designed for the curve of human’s butt. It can provide a larger bearing area and can reduce body’s pain. Mesh breathable materials and thick handrails provide comfort for people.Meanwhile It can also protect your lumbar spine and back.
- [ Ergonomic Design ] The mesh back of FelixKing’s chair has excellent elasticity, completely suitable for the waist and back curve. This modern adjustable high back chair has an ergonomic S-shaped curve design.It is easier to relieve stress and relax muscles.You won't get tired even if you sit for a long time.
- [ Convenient Storage ] Lift the armrest and It can be pulled up and placed under the desk. It can be stored neatly and space-saving. The armrest can be rotated 90 degrees to relax the muscles and have fun at the same time.It’s suitable for living room, study room, meeting room and office.
- [ Simple assembly ] It can be assembled with the simple tools that come with packing. You can easily complete it in about 15 minutes according to the English instructions.The warranty is one year.If you have any problems, please contact us at any time, and the customer service will provide customers with satisfactory solutions.
This stylish and modern ergonomic chair is a real gem if your budget isn’t limited. If you’re looking for a chair that would provide you with the ultimate ergonomic comfort for your body and life during workdays, you’ll be more than satisfied with this choice. And yes, as a petite person, you won’t be disappointed too.
With the 18.5~22.4 inches from the ground to the seat, you’ll find this chair extra comfortable, if not the most comfortable chair you’ve ever owned. Plus, the exclusive Ergo3D lumbar support system will accommodate your tiny body structure perfectly. Additionally, the headrest can be adjusted to support your neck regardless of which position you’re sitting in.
The backrest of the chair, as well as the headrest, are made of breathable mesh to reduce heat and provide optimal air flow.
And we almost forgot to mention that this office chair features a super-lounge tilt. So you’ll have up to 135° of tilt to keep you in the Ergo3D Comfort Zone for your next task or to simply lounge back. It’s hard to beat that, isn’t it?
Although this chair isn’t cheap, we do need to mention an additional set of Blade Castors is included in the price.
The only thing you might find a bit inconvenient is that the armrests move if you get up from or into the chair from any angle other than perfectly straight.
- Conforms to your Life: With it’s 4D Adjustable Armrest and Lumbar System, ElastoMesh, 135 Degree Back Tilt, Smooth HydraLift, Dual Castors (and a set of hardwood floor Blade Castors) – it’s easy to think the Ergo3D is from the future, but instead it’s evolved Ergo Seating at its finest and it’s here now.
- Soft HD Office Chair: Our breathable ElastoMesh provides optimal airflow to avoid sweating and sticking. But it’s also smooth, and nothing like sitting on wire like many of the chairs you’ll see today. And while it’s good to take regular breaks, the Ergo3D is so comfy you’ll forget you’re even working.
- Heavy Duty: Our 5-Point Base with dual castors gives greater stability and strength over common 4-Point, single castor chairs. And our strong iron base makes this heavy-duty office chair ideal for adults up to 275 lb. We also give a set of blade wheels – smooth as silk on hardwood.
- Super-Lounge Recline: Settle back, because you have up to 135° of tilt to keep you in the perfect position for your next task, or to simply lounge back and admire how smart you are for finding such a remarkable ergonomic chair. Try the Ergo3D and feel the difference it makes to your life.
6.KERDOM Ergonomic Desk Chair
Another great ergonomic chair for short people we found is this space-saving chair by Kerdom. In terms of comfort, it offers three support points (back, hips and hands), to help you keep a correct posture when sitting. Moreover, the height can be adjusted from 15.4” up to 18.9” to specifically suit petite people.
Whenever you need to take a small break and relax, the chair’s 90-125 degree rocking mechanism will be just what you need. And when you want to sit upright, the adjustable lumbar support will constantly make sure you won’t sit in an unhealthy position.
This chair comes in handy whenever you need to save space because thanks to its small dimensions and flip-up armrests you’ll be able to make it fit under any kind of desk. Plus, its simple design can fit close to any interior.
This chair has a light breathable mesh back to help you survive hot summer days in the office. The material was used on the backrest as well as the seat cushion to keep you fresh during the day. It’s a reliable and sturdy office chair for people with a petite physique and it comes in 6 different color options. On the negative side, the armrests aren’t padded and they can’t be adjusted in height or width.
- [Ergonomic design] The ergonomic chair provides 3 support points (back/hips/hands) and appropriate waist support.The height of the seat can be easily adjusted to meet different needs.Has strong stability, even if lying down will not fall.
- [Breathable Mesh] The back and cushion are breathable. A high-quality mesh is used to make it steady, well-shaped and elasticity. May you have a comfortable experience.
- [Space saving] You can flip the arms up and put the chair under the desk for saving space. The home desk chair can be placed in a relatively narrow area.
- [Fashion and modernization] Simple and beautiful design suitable for different decoration styles, it can be placed in your living room,meeting room,study room,office.
- [Easy to Install] A detailed installation video is in the manual and related video section. You can easily and quickly install it by yourself. If you have any question, please contact us at any time, a professional after-sales service team is ready to provide satisfactory solutions.
7 Things to Consider When Looking For Small Office Chairs
1. Seat Height
The first thing to think about is the seat height of your office chair. You want to be able to have your knees at 90 degrees, with your feet flat on the floor. Most office chairs will have a seat height range of around 17 to 22 inches. This is going to be too tall for people who are five feet six inches and under.
You will need to find a chair with a minimum seat height of 16 inches if you are five-foot-six and 15 inches if you are five-foot-two. If you are shorter than five-foot-two, then you will want to find a chair that gets as low as 14 inches if you plan to have your feet flat on the floor.
2. Adding a Footrest
One super valuable tool for your workstation can be a footrest. Adding a footrest allows you to bring the floor up to your chair, instead of forcing your chair to go down to the floor. By doing this, you will make it much easier to achieve that 90-degree knee angle, while also opening the door to chairs with higher minimum seat height ranges. Most of the people in our office use a footrest, including myself.
3. Desk Height
Your desk height is another really important factor. You want your typing height to be about 8 inches above your seat height. If you are going to use a chair at 16 inches, then your desk needs to be able to go as low as 24 inches to accommodate an ergonomic position. Standard desk height is 30 inches, so there is quite a big difference there.
There are a few ways to help you accomplish this. The first is to go with the footrest discussed above. This can close the gap by a few inches by bringing your chair height closer to a standard height desk. The second is to get a height-adjustable desk that can lower to a position that is below the standard desk height. The final option is to add something to lower your keyboard, like a keyboard drawer or keyboard tray.
4. Seat Depth
The next thing to consider is seat depth. You want to be able to position the front of the seat to within 1 to 2 inches from the back of your knees. Most standard office chairs will have seats that are around 17 to 18 inches deep. This will be too large for short people.
If you are five-foot-six or under, you want to find chairs with minimum seat depths of 16 inches or less. Chairs with an adjustable seat depth range as low as 15 inches will be the best options to go with for this category.
5. Arm Width
The armrests will be another important factor to consider. You want to be able to hang your arms naturally at your sides and then place your elbows at a 90-degree angle. You do not want to have to angle your arms outward to reach the armrests. This can put unnecessary strain on your shoulders and neck.
Standard office chair arms will typically be about 17 to 18 inches apart. If you are under five feet six inches, you will want to look for arms that have a minimum width of 16 inches or less. For those of you in the five feet and under range, then arms as narrow as 13 inches will probably be what you want to look for.
6. Arm Height
Height is the second thing to look at when it comes to the armrests. You really want to make sure that the arms on the chair you want to buy have a range that will work for you. People that are under five feet six inches will want to have their arms about 9 inches above their seat to be able to achieve that 90-degree elbow angle. People who are five feet tall or under will want a minimum arm height of 7 inches or less.
Be careful when buying chairs with headrests if you are a short or petite person. We have found that headrests will often be in an awkward position for short people. Many headrests are designed to fit into the curve of your neck. If you are too short to use them properly, then the headrest just ends up pushing the back of your head forward.
The same thing can happen on chairs with more standard headrests. If you are too short to reach the intended headrest, then the chair will not be comfortable because it was not designed to fit you properly.
If you really want a headrest, then look for chairs that were specifically made for short people that also offer a headrest option. This should ensure that the headrest was designed for short people and will give you the best chance that it fits you properly.
The selection of office chairs for petite and short people can feel limited. There certainly isn’t going to be as many options as standard office chairs, but there are things that you can do to expand your selection. Things like a footrest and keyboard tray can be amazing tools. An electric height-adjustable desk can also be a game changer for a lot of people. These will make the seat height less of a problem.
If there isn’t a chair on this list that will work for your needs, then make sure to take our “7 Things to Consider” with you on your search. If you are armed with the knowledge of what to look for and what to avoid, you should be able to find the best chair for your needs.
Picking an office chair is all about finding the one most likely to keep you comfortable after extended periods. And this is especially true when you’re shopping for a chair and are shorter than average height. To create our guide, we focused on the following key features — adjustability, lumbar support, seat height, and materials.
All of our recommendations featured adjustability specifically in customizing seat height. But if you want full customization, you’ll want to look for chairs that allow for backrests that can be independently raised or lowered, back angles, and adjustable armrests.
Lumbar support is another key feature that is fairly common when shopping for an ergonomic office chair. All of our picks come with built-in lumbar support. But another factor to consider is breathability, which ties into materials. You’ll note that the majority of our recommendations feature a mesh-combination chair with a mesh backrest and a padded seat. This option allows for some of the best ventilation while still providing lumbar support and a comfortable seat. Still, you can find fully padded backrests or chairs made from leather, faux leather, or other fabric upholstery. Just keep in mind that those chairs may not be as breathable.
Of course, seat height is going to be an important issue — especially for shorter people. Picking the wrong seat height range could leave you working in a chair where your feet don’t touch the ground. We prioritized options that offered a lower seat adjustment range. This means that we looked for chairs that could be adjusted to heights of at least 18 inches or lower from the ground to the base of the seat.
Are you shorter or smaller than the average person? Are you tired of sitting in oversized chairs that swallow you whole and make it virtually impossible to get comfortable and get any work done?
If you answered yes to either of those questions, you’re going to love this roundup review. We’ve scoured the internet on a quest to find the best office chairs for a short person on the market today, and we’ve declared two winners in that category.
In addition to that, we’ve found a variety of great chairs tailored to the specific seating needs of shorter people, and our review provides details about a few attractive alternates if you don’t agree with our top picks.
We’ve broken this roundup review into two sections: mesh chairs and upholstered chairs (leather/fabric), because not everybody is a fan of mesh. Either way, this review has you covered.
Before we dive into the specifics of each model, let’s announce our winner in each category and introduce you to the finalists in table format, to give you a high-level view of our top picks.
Our two lists are dominated by just three companies, with Herman Miller claiming three of the five spots in the mesh category, and Steelcase and Serta claiming two each in the upholstered category. The problem is that the Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs cost significantly more than the others and may be out of reach for many potential buyers.
We understand that which is why we’ve opted to list the remaining entries in our top ten in each category. The rest of the list (those that didn’t make the top five) is dominated by smaller brands that aren’t as well known, but there are some surprisingly good options out there that don’t cost a ton of money.
Not to worry, we’ll give you the complete scoop on all of them, so you’ll have everything you need to make an informed purchasing decision. We feel confident that lurking somewhere in this review, you’ll find your next office chair, and it will be a perfect fit for you!
If you’re short or small-framed, your choice of office chair is going to be limited. The one universal consideration to keep in mind when you’re petite is adjustability.
If a chair’s seat pan is too deep, it can cause circulation problems for short people, as your legs will be dangling off the floor and applying undue pressure to the soft underside of your thighs.
For shorter people, we recommend a seat depth of around 18” or less. It should also be depth adjustable to allow further personalization.
To calculate the ideal seat depth for yourself, in a seated position, measure the distance from the end of your buttock to the end of your inner thighs. There should be 2″ of space between the back of the knees and the seat of the chair. The best seat depth leaves that space at the end of the seat’s edge to prevent cutting off circulation in your thighs.
The seat height of an average office chair is adjustable between 18”-22”. If you’re short, look for a chair that can at least be lowered to 18” or even lower. The good news is, seat height is not nearly as important as seat depth for short people, as you can always just use a footrest if the chair doesn’t go low enough for you.
Proper seat pan height can be calculated by sitting in your chair and calculating the distance from the floor to the backs of your knees. Be sure to take into consideration the thickness of your shoes as this can affect your measurements.
The backrest should be adjustable to meet your height requirements. Ideally, it should also be able to tilt forward – this avoids you having to perch precariously on the edge of your seat and adding pressure to your lower back.
Your backrest should adjust to support your lower back. Depending on the seat depth, a lumbar support that is depth adjustable may be necessary to ensure it meets your back fully to support it.
The chair’s armrests should be fully adjustable, especially width wise to bring them closer to your body. It might seem obvious, but make sure they are well padded as well. Hard armrests can overtime pinch the ulnar nerves in the bony part of your elbows, leading to cubital tunnel syndrome.
With those prerequisites out of the way, the following are the best office chairs for short people that meet most if not all of the criteria laid out.
Best Ergonomic Chair for Short Person – Most office chairs are built to accommodate an average frame. If you are petite or short in stature (under 5’3” for women and under 5’8” for men), your so called ergonomic chair could be exacerbating your existing aches and pains – or potentially creating new ones.
In this guide we take a look at all the important ergonomic factors that short people need to focus on when picking an ergonomic chair, followed by a comprehensive list of the best office chairs for short people. All of these chairs are appropriately sized in the key areas that make all the difference for short people, from seat depth, height, to seat pan width.
As a short person, you have additional comfort issues to contend with when selecting an office chair. Remember, you’ll possibly be using your chair for more than 8 hours, so it’s important to know not only the seating measurements, but your own as well.
Thankfully, the companies we’ve listed have all recognized the importance of avoiding an “average” chair suited for the masses. While it takes an extra bit of research, finding a chair with the right support features and sturdy framework for your petite frame can carry you through the professional work day and beyond in style and comfort.
Please note that we will be using terms such as “short”, “shorter” or “petite” to describe people that are under the statistically average height for men and women. This post will not focus on chairs for little people, or people with dwarfism.