Best Folding Chair for Back Support – If you have back problems and love taking outdoor adventures, finding the best camping chair for your back will be a godsend when it’s time to relax.
With the wide variety of camping chair manufacturers on the market, you will need to take time to review the top models by taking into account your comfort, need for lumbar support, and convenience.
To make your shopping experience easier, we’ve compiled a review of 6 of the top camping chairs for a bad back. We’ve also included a detailed buyer’s guide to help you pick the right one for your adventures.
Camping is a great activity that is enjoyed by many people of all ages. Kids love to run around and play, and adults like the calm and break from hectic work lives. Having a good camping chair is a must have no matter what. And if your back tends to give you issues or you like to have extra lumbar support, we suggest getting the best camping chair for bad backs to keep you comfy. Although it is often referred to has “roughing it”, it doesn’t have to be rough on your back. You want to make sure you are comfortable around your campsite. Having a bad back that gets stiff and sore is no fun when you are enjoying the outdoors. Get the right chair with the right support to make you a happy camper.
The first chair on our list is the KingCamp Camping Chair With Lumbar Back Support. An obvious choice for camping chairs for bad backs, this product comes with lumbar support built right in.
The chair is not only comfortable and supportive of your bad back, but it’s also lightweight and won’t add to your back pain either. It also comes with side pockets for storing devices and other small items.
There’s an extra storage room in the head of the chair as well as a cooler bag built-right in (it can easily fit two or three drinks) too.
All in all, this chair consists of high-grade materials, expert craftsmanship from a trusted manufacturer, and provides relief for back pain while camping, all for a surprisingly reasonable price.
Pros & Cons
- 【COOLER BAG AND ARMREST】 With cooler bag you can put a hot water bag, food or cold drink(3cans).Apackage right side is used for book, magazine and other small objects. Delicate and soft armrestis convenient for you to have a rest. Our chair is multi-purpose which is perfect to be used indoors;you can alsobring it to outdoors activities such as picnic, camping, beach, patio parties, fishing.
- 【LUMBAR SUPPORT ANDCOMFORTABLE】 With lumbar support design and 600 × 300D oxford fabric, the chair is comfortable and gives you a cozy body feeling. The size of the chair (24.4 ×23.6inches) makes it big enough for a big guy.
- 【EASY TO OPEN AND FOLD】 No tools needed! Withfolding design, the chair is easy to open or fold in seconds when you need to use it at anytime and help you save much time. The chair can be folded to the middle from four directions.
- 【FIRM AND DURABLE】 High strength steel tubes bracket structure design makesthe chair very stable.Card slot type and metal material contact point design makesthe chair very stable, support up to 160kg/353 lbs. 4 root tubes enhance the bearing capacity, at the same time fundamentally solve the problem of the structure stability.
- 【PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT】 The chairweight is 11.3lbs and after folded the size of the chair only has38.2 ×8.7 ×7.9inches.It is portable and light enough to be carried like a small luggage on a trip, fits most car trunks to meet your camping needs.
2.Timber Ridge Camping Chair
The Timber Ridge Camping Chair Ergonomic High Back Support is the second item on our list. It is a highly recommended camping chair for bad backs that come with an ergonomic high back and padded armrests for added support.
Timber Ridge is a well-known producer of outdoor gear, and this camping chair is a prime example of why they are a trusted brand. It’s everything you need in a chair for camping if you have a bad back.
Featuring a strong steel frame, comfortable and spacious design, back support, cup holder, and more, there are few competitor products that genuinely compare to it (especially where the price point is concerned).
Pros & Cons
- Large Space & High Back: Our folding camping chair has 22 inches high back, provides you stable support. Weight is 13.67 lbs. Width is 22.5 inches. Folding outdoor chair provides extra comfort for long-time use
- Excellent Loading Capacity: The folding outdoor chairs is made of high-quality polyester and heavy duty steel frame. Heavy duty camping chair support up to 400 lbs.
- Fully Padded & Cup Holder Included: Smooth foam padded seat and detachable padded arm rest with swivel cup holder on side. This camp chair can provides a comfortable experience for your outdoor life
- Easy Open & Easy Storage: Our portable camping chair can be folded into a smaller size for easy storage and easy carriage. The fold up chairs for outside comes with a carry bag so you can take it to anywhere easily
- Versatile: This outdoor chair is suitable for all your outdoor life, like hiking, camping, traveling, fishing or watching sporting events. We back our products with a full 1 year manufacturer's warranty against any defective workmanship and material.
STRONGBACK’s Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support is our third pick for the best camping chair for bad backs currently available for purchasing online. It consists of high-grade materials only and includes award-winning (and patented) extra lumbar support that is built right in as well.
It has a 300-pound weight limit, strong connectors, and high-quality nylon and mesh fabric, making it sturdy and comfortable at the same time. The armrests are padded, cup holders are included, and it also comes with storage.
The Elite camping chair from STRONGBACK is definitely one of the best on our list. With it’s integrated lumbar support and supportive cushions, long-lasting frame, and a two-year warranty from the manufacturer, it’s really hard to beat (which is why it costs a bit more than other camping chairs).
Pros & Cons
- Award winning, patented, lumbar supportive design aligns your body posture to provide relief to your spine and ease tension throughout your back
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY - Best in the marketplace! Durability Guaranteed. See manufacturer for complete details. Contact Strongback Chair directly for warranty issues after 30 days of purchase. Warranty not valid on 3rd party purchases
- Spacious ergonomic seat designed to align hips and back for maximum comfort and relaxation; Made for people 5'8" and over (see the STRONGBACK Guru Chair for people 5’7” and under)
- Easy to use and lightweight - the perfect portable chair for camping, travel, picnics, beach trips, sports, concert events and other outdoor activities; includes a backpack style carry bag and cupholder
- Heavy-duty, durable construction with a 300-pound weight capacity
- Improved patented durable frame-integrated lumbar support with stronger rivets for stability
4.G4Free Upgraded Outdoor 2
The next camping chair for bad backs on our list is the G4Free Upgraded Lightweight Portable Camping Chair High Back with Headrest. This one is not only good for your back but it also helps relieve tension in your neck too.
A comfortable camping chair with a 7075 aluminum tube frame, comfy cushions, and higher legs than most, it’s easy to set up, break down, and store or transport. It also has a side pocket built-in.
The G4Free Upgraded Camping Chair also features one of the most naturally relaxing designs on this list (imagine a comfortable sun lounger and a supportive camping chair had a baby, this chair would be it) as well as offers a 30-day refund policy and a one year warranty.
Pros & Cons
- [2-PACK] ULTRALIGHT and COMPACT: Weighs only 2.8 lbs/Per Piece, 5.6 lbs of 2-pack. It can fold down into 16*6*5 inch included carry bag that can fit into your carry-on or attach to your backpack
- HEAVY DUTY and DURABLE MATERAILS: This camping chair is made of durable 900D oxford cloth with aircraft-grade high-strength 7075 aluminum alloy frame. It can hold up to 240 LBS
- EASY SETUP and VERSATILITY: Foldable aluminum pole, fabric and shock-cord structure make it easy to set up and fold down. It is a ideal choice for all outdoor activities like camping, BBQ, hiking, beach, by the fire pit, travel, picnic, festival, hunting, garden or any outdoor activities
- COMFY BACK and ATTACHED PILLOW: This Orthopedic recommended and ergonomic designed folding chair has a 17.7” wide and soft sponge headrest to support your neck and give you fully relax. The breathable mesh net design makes sitting comfortable even if sitting for a long time. Also this portable chair has a side pocket for some personal items or your drinks
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY and VERSATILITY: If you are not satisfied with our this lightweight chair, pls contact us by Email, we offer 1 year replacement or refund per your preference (even though it is PAST 30 days, we can help you too). Best gift for your family and friends
5.Sunyear Camping Chair
Sunyear’s Lightweight Compact Folding Camping Backpack Chair is our fifth option for a great camping chair that eases your back pain. This one is excellent for backpackers as it is lightweight and foldable as well as offering extra support for your back.
Easy to carry and set up, this deep-seat designed camping chair consists of a 7075 aluminum tube and connectors frame and breathable mesh nylon material. Pricewise, the chair is a real bargain for those who have fewer back issues than the next guy.
Those who have serious back problems may want to skip this camping chair and opt for another choice from our list.
Pros & Cons
- Ultralight and compact- Sunyear’s camping chair weighs just 2.29 lbs. (even with larger upgraded feet) and packs down to 13.8” (L) x 4.3” (W) x 5.1” (H) in the included storage bag. You can carry it in your backpack or leave it in your RV or car. It makes a great gift for everyone.
- Unique deep design sea- Our folding chair is much larger and more comfortable than similar items on the market. This lightweight camping chair features an ergonomic seat design for optimal comfort. The soft mesh panels give you plenty of room to relax.
- Easy to set up and collapse- The aluminum shock-cord pole structure makes it quick and intuitive to set up. A strap holds the frame together so that it can be collapsed easily for storage and transport. NOTE: The seat is snug. It is designed securely so it won’t slip out when you pick up and move the camp chair. When assembling, simply apply additional pressure when putting the last leg into the pocket. Don’t worry about breaking the chair as it is built strong!
- Heavy-duty-Aircraft-grade 7075 aviation aluminum alloy is one of the strongest aluminum alloys. This outdoor chair is ultralight and heavy-duty. Upgraded wide rubber covers on each leg provide a firm base. Our folding chair has a load capacity of up to 250 lbs.
- Ideal for All Types of Outdoor Events. Best choice for Campers, Hikers, Backpackers, Tailgaters, Concertgoers, Adventurers, and anyone looking for comfort without the usual bulk. We provide 24-hour friendly customer service. Our compact foldable chairs are 100% Lifetime Guarantee. We are always here to assist you.
MARCHWAY’s Ultralight Folding Camping Chair is perhaps the most ultralight folding chair for camping, and bad backs, on our list. It’s sturdy, consisting of high-quality 7075 air-craft-grade aluminum and nylon/mesh materials, and is long-lasting.
We liked it due to all of the above in addition to how supportive it is for stiff muscles and sore joints.
What more can you really ask for? If you don’t have major back issues, this chair is a steal of a deal. That said, if you have medical conditions that cause you back pain aside from the aches and pains of camping, another chair may be more suitable for you.
Designed with backpackers and nature-lovers on the go in mind, the chair features a quick-folding design with a simple velcro strap. It weighs less than two pounds.
Pros & Cons
- Ultra Light and Compact: Weighs only 2 pounds that can be picked up with a finger, and folds down to a 14 x 5 inch stuff sack that can fit into a carry-on.
- Simple Setup: Foldable aluminum pole with shock-cord structure enables quick set up and fold down. Within one minute you can finish the assembly process. Velcro strap can hold the frame together easily.
- Super Comfort: Ergonomic seat design gives you optimal seat experience. Breathable seat net brings you comfort when in hot season.
- Heavy Duty and Durable: Ripstop nylon seat + aircraft-grade corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy frame provides load capacity up to 250 pounds. 4 corners at the back of seat fabric are greatly reinforced to ensure reliability.
- Versatility: Ideal for tailgating, mountaineering, motorcycling, hunting, music festival, concert party, park, BBQ, road trip, adventuring and anyone looking for light travel without the bulk. A decent Holiday Gift for families and friends.
What To Look For When Buying A Camping Chair For Bad Back
Camping shouldn’t be painful for your back, so it’s essential to find the right type of camping chair. Here are some tips to help you in your search.
Extra support in the lumbar region is key to preventing back pain when sitting and helps with maintaining the correct posture.
Look for chairs with added support and padding in other areas, too, which will all help towards making you feel more comfortable.
Some type of cushioning in the neck area can be useful and high back camping chairs are a good option as they offer extra support right up to your head.
Although it may not help relieve your bad back, extra padding around the armrests is a welcome touch too!
Many of the camping chairs that are good for bad backs are a little larger than average. This makes it easier to get in and out of them and to get completely comfortable when seated.
When looking for a folding chair with back support, be sure to check the load capacity and make sure it is adequate for your needs.
The more robust a chair is, the better. This is especially true when you need to exert a lot of force on the arms of the chair for support in order to stand up or sit down safely.
The chairs included in this guide range from as little as just under 3 pounds all the way up to just over 13 pounds.
So it is important to think about the type of camping you enjoy and whether or not the weight of the chair will be suitable for you.
This, of course, becomes more important when you are backpacking, and you will need to find the lightest chair possible that still provides the support you need.
Whilst not essential, there are some extra features that are nice to have if available, such as a purpose-built bag to carry your chair.
A cup holder is a fairly standard feature, but some chairs in this guide also have their own little coolers and storage pockets for extra drinks or smaller items.
Chairs with wide feet are great too, as these are designed to be stable even when the ground is soft.
Quad chairs have 4 legs that come together towards each other making them easy to fold up. Some come with a carry handle or carry bag. The arms are fabric, the back and seat are made from a single piece of material. They usually have an upright position.
Even though you can find quad chairs that are low, most are a “standard” chair height which makes them ideal for use around a table.
These chairs fold in half making them flat and easy to store. Most of them also come with a carry handle. The back and seat have separate pieces of fabric and are in a more upright posture. Just like the quad chairs, they also have a “standard” chair height.
These usually have a seat and back like a quad chair, but reclines to different positions. Typically, they have molded armrests and an adjustable padded headrest. They fold up flat for storage and transportation.
What To look For in The Best Camping Chair for Bad Back Pain
This is a top priority for any camp chair. After all, who doesn’t want to be comfortable while camping? Luckily, many of the camp chairs on the market are quite cozy due to today’s technology and materials.
Still, some camping chairs win over the others in this category because of lumbar support, padding and other comfort features.
There are two heights with camping chairs; low and standard. Normally, the higher the chair seat is, the more comfortable it is, and easier to get in and out of.
Seat Back height
Seatback height is also an important consideration. It’s a great indicator of back and neck support. A higher seatback will normally offer more support and comfort over longer periods of time.
Not many camping chairs boast this feature. Many of the standard camping chairs are quite sunken around the back area which is not ideal if you have back issues.
Most camping chair manufacturers do not consider the need for lumbar support yet the lower spinal area is associated with muscle strain or other muscle problems.
The best camping chair for bad back must provide lumbar support to the lower back and help maintain a good posture. This is the region that needs more support to ease back pain.
Be sure to look out for the weight capacity the camping chair can . As you will see in our reviews, some chairs can support up to 250 lbs while others hold up to 360 lbs. Your choice will depend on the weight of the user.
However, it is more convenient to buy a camping chair that supports the highest maximum weight capacity.
Chair Weight and Folded Dimensions
Most chairs designed for camping or other portable uses will fold up in some way for easy carrying. Some offer bags that can be slung over the shoulder, while others only have handles limiting your ability to bring other objects.
Some chairs fold up quite small, while others remain pretty bulky, which can make them hard to carry from place to place.
The weight of the chair is also an important consideration when you have back problems because you don’t want to hurt yourself carrying it if it’s too heavy or too bulky. Basically, the smaller it is, the lighter it is, the better it is.
Additional Factors to Keep in Mind
Weatherproof and Durability
One of the things that should come to mind when buying a camping chair for back pain is not only the comfort but also its “weatherproof” nature. This, however, depends on the construction material featured.
Some of the camping chairs reviewed in this article are made of polyester or Oxford Fabric, which are weatherproof. This means that you can use them for extended periods and not have to worry about heat or water damage.
Furthermore, some camping chairs feature sturdy steel frames that are powder-coated to prevent rusting, thus making them more durable.
Cleaning and Care
You should also look out for how washable the camping chair is. Considering that you will be using it outdoors, it needs to be easy to clean to remove the sticky dirt and mud. The fabric should also be readily washable with a brush and water without affecting its durability.
As a precaution, allow the camping chair to dry off completely each time you wash it before packing it in the included carrying case.
While the camping chairs reviewed below can be used for various outdoor activities, you should ensure that all the dust and sand is removed. This is because in the event that it clogs the hollow frames or joints, then folding and unfolding the chair might become a challenge.
When choosing a camping chair for back pain, you should consider if it will be delivered disassembled or pre-assembled. The chairs that need to be assembled by the user will normally come in a bag with instructions. If this is not okay with you, then you might want to choose a camping chair that comes already assembled.
Features to Consider When buying a camping chair for a Bad Back
A padded seat is the best choice for relieving back pain because it allows your muscles to relax. If the padding is hard, then you might have to deal with butt pain on top of your back pain! As a result, it is ideal to find a camping chair with soft padding for adequate back support and overall comfort.
Although most camping chairs will come with a padded armrest for comfort, some lack a headrest. It is important to pick a chair that has a headrest because it is necessary if you want to enjoy a luxurious feel.
The best camping chair also features some side pockets, thus providing ample storage space for items such as magazines.
This is an accessory often included in the package to enhance its ease of storage and portability.
Cup holder and an insulated cooler
A cup holder always comes in handy when it’s time to relax while sipping your favorite drink. Another bonus if you want to minimize back and forth trips to the cooler, is an integrated insulated cooler so you can store your drinks right next to you.
A camping chair designed with an efficient rocking technology will help your back muscles relax better.
1. Are camping chairs bad for your back?
Most camping chairs are made of fabric to make them easy to fold but often don’t provide proper lumbar support causing your back to slouch while sitting in them. The back support on these chairs are in most cases too saggy to adequately support your lower back.
Standard quad chairs also tend to put a lot of pressure on the back of your legs which can cause unpleasant cramping. Thankfully, there are now some great camping chairs with proper lumbar support like the STRONGBACK Elite Chair or the Timber Ridge Chair. These are firm chairs that are comfortable for the lower back and your legs, and are perfect for outdoor activities.
2. What should I look for in lumbar support?
Comfort and flexibility are important features to consider when buying camping chairs with lumbar support. Ideally, look for a chair that features a firm upright backrest so that you don’t slouch like you would on a regular quad chair. The seat should also be supportive.
You may also want to look for accessories such as a cushion that you can place behind your head or your back to allow you to change your posture and remain comfortable while seated.
Factors to consider include:
- Seat height. The camping chair seat should be high enough so that you can sit up straight comfortably with your feet flat on the ground and your thighs horizontal with your legs.
- Seat width and depth. The seat should be wide enough and deep enough so that you can sit straight in it with the proper hip placement and back alignment.
3. Is a hard chair better for your back?
Yes, hard chairs are better for your posture because you don’t tend to slouch as much as when you sit on a soft camping quad chair. A firm chair with lumbar support like the STRONGBACK Elite is better for your back because it keeps you comfortable for longer periods than other standard camping chairs.
While all the products reviewed above are worth considering, we found the StrongBack Elite Folding Camping Chair to be the best camping chair for bad back. This is because its ergonomic lumbar support provides the best possible posture.
It’s ideal for people with back pain and the elderly because of its seat height and super strong armrests which make it easy to get in and out of. It is the lightest of the all chairs we’ve reviewed here. You can carry it as a backpack with the dual straps making it perfect for camping.
The most important feature to look for when deciding on a chair for your bad back is that it has lumbar support!
What is lumbar support?
Lumbar support refers to the five vertebrae in the spine that are located between the diaphragm and the sacrum. This area is referred to as the lumbar region.
Chairs that claim to have “lumbar support”, will have extra support, specifically designed to help keep your spine properly aligned in its natural position.
By keeping your spine properly aligned, your muscles won’t have to work as hard in order to support your back, which should help to relieve, if not eliminate your back pain.
Having a camping chair with lumbar support means nothing if it’s made from poor quality materials.
First, you want to make sure that the frame is made of a strong material such as steel. And not just any steel frame will do! It needs to be thick. I recommend something over 20mm.
Something else to look for is a frame that is powder coated. This not only looks better, but it will give your chair better protection against the elements.
The fabric material is something else to consider! You don’t want a chair with a low-quality fabric for its seat and back support. Over time a poor quality material will stretch and begin to deteriorate, which in turn can make for a very uncomfortable chair.
I recommend looking for a chair that has a heavy duty polyester fabric with at least a 400D (denier) fabric rating!
In case you don’t know, the denier rating is a measurement that determines how strong a fabric is. The higher the number, the stronger the fabric. All of the chairs on our list have a denier rating of 600, making super durable and waterproof.
I don’t care how much back support a chair has, if it’s too small for you, it’s not going to do you or your back much good. On the flip side, if the chair is too big, you could be doing just as much harm to your back as with a small chair.
Make sure to choose a chair that matches your body size. This includes your height as well as your weight. The last thing you want is for your chair to collapse on you while enjoying a hot cocoa around the campfire!
Just because you’re roughing it in the great outdoors doesn’t mean your camping chair has to be rough on your back — especially when you live with chronic discomfort. The best camping chairs for bad backs bring your head in line over your pelvis and have extra padding to enhance comfort. Some also have lumbar support that conforms to the natural curvature of your spine.
Rahul Shah, M.D., a board-certified orthopedic spine and neck surgeon at Premier Orthopedic Spine Associates in Vineland, New Jersey, explains that a comfortable camping chair “allows one to hold the head comfortably over the pelvis without having the muscles do much extra work to bring the head in line over the pelvis.” In order to achieve this, some chairs have built-in supports to “alleviate extra muscle work.” Extra padding throughout the back and the waist area is an advantage as well.
Best Folding Chair for Back Support – If you suffer from a bad back, then the thought of sitting in a camping chair might be putting you off from taking trips to great outdoor destinations.
But the good news is that camping chairs have come a long way since the original, unsupportive canvas and pipe models of the past and there are now some excellent options around!
Not all camping chairs are born equal! The best camping chairs for a bad back should help you appreciate your camping experience, whether while having a beer or waiting for a catch. The KingKamp Camping Chair should keep your spine supported while providing the necessary comfort.